homepage

Rookie Cooking Question...

Posted By: tomcat

Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/13/12 12:49 AM

Just wondering, is it possible to prevent red bell peppers from staining every other vegetable in the sauté pan!? Tired of eating pink onions in stir fries. I thought someone might know, maybe there's an order to add things or something. Thanks!
Posted By: REB63

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/13/12 12:52 AM

Cook 'em separate.
Then mix 'em together when ready to serve.
Posted By: HawkI

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/13/12 12:57 AM

Blanch them first, then add them at the very end of cooking time.

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/13/12 01:05 AM

Thanks guys! Gonna give blanching and adding at the end each a try.
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/13/12 01:07 PM

if color is seeping out of them it means you're cooking them too slowly

they shouldn't lose so much water that they become soft, limp and leak out their color. cook them at a much higher temperature for a shorter time and they'll retain their water/crispiness even after cooking
Posted By: Destructis

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/13/12 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow

they shouldn't lose so much water that they become soft, limp and leak out their color. cook them at a much higher temperature for a shorter time and they'll retain their water/crispiness even after cooking

I like them better soft and limp. Hmm that doesn't sound right.

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/13/12 01:13 PM

Sweet, thanks LB! I have put up with it forever but thought I'd ask since it looks blah, but I wasn't sure what to google. Will give that a try with supper tonight.
Posted By: Wrecking Crew

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/13/12 03:41 PM

Ummm umm, last weekend I sauteed some sea scallops with sweet onions and yellow bell peppers and served them over rice with salted capers.

Thanks for the tip LB and the post tc.

WC
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/20/12 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Destructis
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow

I like them better soft and limp. Hmm that doesn't sound right.

i know what you mean (nohomo!)

sometimes when i cook bell peppers i like to cook them a bit slow and low to make them a bit soft and chewy. really fantastic for making a filling for fajitas. but when you're doing a stir fry or mixing them with some other food and they're visible on the plate you don't want that so you gotta hit them hard with extreme heat and cook them for a short time.

for what it's worth you need to do the same thing when you cook something like steak or chicken on a grill. high initial heat, cook the first side till it's about 60% done on 1 side (if that makes sense? The cooked color should be a bit higher than 50% of the way through the meat or food) then flip and cook til about 15%-25% done then take off the heat and the residual heat will cook the item to perfection. careful not to overdo meat - if the inside of a chicken breast or steak has turned a cooked color and it's still in the pan or on the grill it means it's overcooked, once you take it off the grill it'll continue to cook even harder making the meat fibers tough.

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/20/12 07:32 PM

Makes sense! Thanks again! I like to learn cooking techniques and stuff even for something as small as not screwing up peppers!
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/20/12 10:54 PM

I've found that rookies taste best when seared first, then cooked over a lower heat for a longer time. Put them on the grill rack farthest from the heat and give it just enough gas to keep the flame going. The type of rookie you select makes all the difference, rookie reporters are more tender than rookie cops, and don't even waste your time on rookie NHL goalies.

Re: Rookie Cooking Question... - 06/20/12 10:58 PM

Bwah! 10 posts till ^--this happened. You're too late NH, I got REAL help before you derailed things.. smile

Going to be by your way on a drive to Boston in a few weeks, I'll be sure to shake a fist out the window on I95!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums