homepage

Big Bang Theory

Posted By: Destructis

Big Bang Theory - 01/23/12 09:24 PM

Last Thursday was the best episode of Big Bang ever. Spoilers here if you haven't watched it yet.

This had me rolling

And this one. The end of it just cracked me up.

Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/23/12 10:51 PM

One of the better shows on tv these days. I try not to miss it. Last weeks epiosode was definitely funny. biggrin

Something nice this year was that they finally added it to the "On Demand" lineup so if I miss it I can watch it later.

Wheels
Posted By: semmern

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/23/12 11:25 PM

Yep, this one and the last were hilarious.

Amy Farrah Fowler is such a brilliant addition to the show.

OH MY GOD A TIARA!!!

biggrin

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/23/12 11:37 PM

If you think about it the dynamics for the "Big Bang Theory" are the same as "Friends" now. There are 3 main male characters and 3 main female characters.

They even have the Ross and Rachel on and off again relationship going on between Penny and Leonard.

Wheels
Posted By: Shredder

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/23/12 11:42 PM

Never understood the popularity of this show. Taket the first youtube clip as an example. The guy keeps saying he needs wood and the other two laugh because it is so funny that the first guy doesn't know that "wood" means having an erection. Apparently this is hilarious and is the premise of this portion of the show. I guess if I was in junior high I might get a kick out of it, but seriously? This is considered funny? If this passes for cutting edge comedy than I guess I'll just have to live on in ignorance and rely on re-runs of Frasier, Sienfeld, and the early years of The Office.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/24/12 12:05 AM

I don't think this is a show that a clip here or there is going to make you like it. I have watched Sienfeld and for the most part the Big Bang Theory is just another buddy sitcom. I actually hated Seinfeld in its initial network run until I gave it more than a glimpse here and there in its fourth season and then I went back and watched all the first three seasons episodes during re-runs. I won't say that watching several episodes of the "Big Bang Theory" in reruns will make you like it like I ended up liking Seinfeld but if you do I think that the characters will grow on you.

Wheels
Posted By: Rick.50cal

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/24/12 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Shredder
Never understood the popularity of this show. Taket the first youtube clip as an example. The guy keeps saying he needs wood and the other two laugh because it is so funny that the first guy doesn't know that "wood" means having an erection. Apparently this is hilarious and is the premise of this portion of the show. I guess if I was in junior high I might get a kick out of it, but seriously? This is considered funny? If this passes for cutting edge comedy than I guess I'll just have to live on in ignorance and rely on re-runs of Frasier, Sienfeld, and the early years of The Office.

Out of context, that particular gag would indeed elicit a "huh? That's funny?!?!" response.

But IN context of what the one character is all about, it's at least mildly funny. Don't pass judgment based on that one clip, as it doesn't really give you much idea of the show. You really ought to view a full episode or two, preferably the early ones, when the main characters still didn't know each other that well.

Personally I found Fraiser and Seinfeld to be more stale after a few years, while Big Bang is still <usually> fresh. I had been thinking The Office was starting to lose it's way last year, but lately with a slight change in tone and the regular appearance of James Spader somehow works well again.
Posted By: KublaKhan

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/24/12 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Shredder

Watch this one and see if your opinion changes.

Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/24/12 06:05 AM

Brilliant show, my wife and I just got hooked last season and netflix'd all of the previous seasons. We can't help but watch all of the reruns on TBS 3 nights a week too. Excellent cast.
Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/24/12 07:34 AM

LOVE the show! I like to look in the background and locate the gaming accessories they have laying around. They have the Halo 3 Legendary Edition Master Chief helmet in some shots which I used to have on my coffee table when I was single. My girlfriend thought it was an odd thing to own, but then she saw it in the show and finally realized she was dating a nerd. LOL.

Jason
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/24/12 12:55 PM

my favourite comedy ....and fie on anybody who compares it to that sh!te show "Friends" !!! biggrin
Posted By: Stormtrooper

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/24/12 02:01 PM

Yep you have to 'know' Sheldon to get the joke in the first clip.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/24/12 02:07 PM

Strangely enough, last Thursdays episode had a different feel to it. It's nothing I can put my finger on, but it seemed the writers took a leap of a sort. I enjoyed the different feel.

The Spock DNA was another of my favorites. There was also the episode when Raj and Penny got drunk and woke up in bed together. Then there was the time that Sheldon gave Penny a strike for emailing him LOLCats.

To enjoy the show, you need to be at least semi internet or geek savy. I feel as though the writing is what makes the show. Most of the time, they are spot on with the geek world. Every once in a while they will do something where I say "C'mon man".

As far as comparing it to Friends, then you need to compare Friends to Cheers. Human relationships will pretty much always be the same. As far as the on again, off again, it lets the viewers root for someone.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/24/12 05:36 PM

pennyisafreeloader

Wonder how many people use that now?
Posted By: Navigator

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/25/12 07:19 PM

I think the show can be some what predictable but its still funny.
Posted By: Kontakt5

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/25/12 07:51 PM

The chemistry between the characters just isn't there for me like your better sitcoms. The characters don't have the interaction like Seinfeld. Relies on predictable sight gags and stereotypes, I can see most of it coming from a mile away. Remember the Seinfeld episode where George ate a sandwich out of the garbage and they debated the finer threshold of when he has crossed the line between human and scavenging animal? They just don't have the characters bouncing off each other the same way here. Most of it is Sheldon Cooper's screeching voice and effeminate mannerisms and everyone else playing second fiddle to it.

However, it's not saccharine sweet or syrupy or sentimental or Disney rated at least like a lot of other sitcoms, that's a plus.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/25/12 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Navigator
I think the show can be some what predictable but its still funny.
Comedies have it a lot easier than dramas though. As long as a comedy makes you laugh, it has succeeded in drawing you in and keeping you as a viewer. With dramas you have to worry about having compelling stories, compelling characters, etc.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/25/12 07:58 PM

I've heard the opposite from theatre and drama types- Comedy is by far the hardest to get right. They even go so far as to have laugh tracks or live audiences in order to reinforce the jokes and so forth for sitcoms. If you aren't getting it, if you're not chuckling, it's a failure- it has nothing else to rely on like in dramas or action.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/25/12 08:05 PM

Comedy relies on timing, on the sense of the audience; what's funny to one audience might be mystifying to another. Drama falls into basic categories and themes that anyone can follow and understand. Nothing is worse than something which tries to be funny but ain't.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/26/12 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Kontakt5
I've heard the opposite from theatre and drama types- Comedy is by far the hardest to get right. They even go so far as to have laugh tracks or live audiences in order to reinforce the jokes and so forth for sitcoms. If you aren't getting it, if you're not chuckling, it's a failure- it has nothing else to rely on like in dramas or action.

Yea, heard that too, many MANY times. The best in the top TV sitcoms make among the most money in the entertainment world, because they work long hours doing it, very few people can do it remotely well, and you can't just replace a major character with much chance of success. So the studios throw money at the main actors/actresses hoping they'll keep working well!

Most of the top actors seem to think comedy is so much more difficult that many of them don't even try doing it (well, outside their acting classes anyway, I'm sure they all practice it, being professionals and all), more difficult than dramas, FAR more than action movies. As such, those who can consistently deliver top quality comedy, are treated better than royalty. Which might explain why Charlie Harper, oh, I mean Charlie Sheen, kept his job for so many years despite problems with his professionalism off-camera: on camera he delivers. For years on end. Just like the crew from Friends, like it or hate it, they could do the job and for it they got paid massively.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/26/12 05:01 AM

I don't think I've ever found Charlie funny. Maybe in Hot Shots Part Deux. And Ferris Bueller's.
On tv, I have no idea how he got Spin City and that other show. I find it hard to believe Chuck Lorre is behind that Two Men show, which I can't stand, while I love Big Bang.

On the laugh track bit, the lack of that on a top notch comedy makes that show stand out even more. Modern Family and The Middle are some of the best comedies out there IMO. Same with Scrubs. They actually added a laugh track to that Sports Night comedy years ago and made the show WORSE for having done it.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
I don't think I've ever found Charlie funny. Maybe in Hot Shots Part Deux. And Ferris Bueller's.
On tv, I have no idea how he got Spin City and that other show. I find it hard to believe Chuck Lorre is behind that Two Men show, which I can't stand, while I love Big Bang.

Right, but that probably says a lot more about your preferences than his skills. So you don't care for him or the types of gags they write for him, that's fair...but clearly millions of others respond to it, kept the ratings high for years, and the propagandists, sorry, I mean advertisers, were willing to pay big for the privilege of having Charlie play a buffoon in between "these important messages"!
Posted By: PFunk

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 01:00 AM

There's a reason this site seems to appreciate the humor on that show.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: PFunk

dance <---------------- Click Me

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 07:50 PM

I just read that Big Bang beat American Idol last night. It was the first time Idol has lost to a scripted show according to the article.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Wheels
I heard she recently got married. Sigh.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Destructis
I just read that Big Bang beat American Idol last night. It was the first time Idol has lost to a scripted show according to the article.
American Idol as well as other crap talent shows and reality shows don't get the monster ratings that they used to. Maybe the masses are finally tiring of those shows?

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Wheels

I heard she recently got married. Sigh.

The last I heard she had called off the engagement ??

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 09:02 PM

I heard her future husband couldn't get an erection without wood. wink

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: DaveSHQ
I heard her future husband couldn't get an erection without wood. wink

biggrin

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 09:08 PM

I thought he dumped her for Siri.

Poor Raj

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 09:15 PM

I thought he dumped her for Siri.

Poor Raj
A guy would have to be clinically insane to dump her.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/27/12 09:26 PM

PM, clearly you didn't watch last nights episode.... LOL

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/28/12 12:58 AM

That was classic. "Sexy".
When he dressed his iPhone for dinner it was a little bit scary. LOL

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/28/12 07:13 AM

I am going to have to finish watching last nights episode. I missed the last half of it. frown

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 01:48 AM

I didn't realize that the actor portraying Sheldon is 39. old_simmer

Wheels
Posted By: Falstar

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 03:20 AM

The only show that I actually Laugh Out Loud at least 3 times during the show. Each and every show.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 04:08 AM

Even the reruns!
Woke my wife up laughing while watching the LOTR one when Sheldon looks up in the mirror... LOL
Posted By: ripper998

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 04:29 PM

Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 07:04 PM

Love Big Bang, don't know how I'm going to survive until next season.
The end of the last episode was classic biggrin
Posted By: Inkgnition

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 07:38 PM

Love TBBT, makes you feel being Nerd is actually Cool smile
Posted By: Rakov

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Sharky_Bob

I disagree. This is exactly why I didn't like it. (two episodes) All the males talk in high, whiny voices with near lisps. None of my nerdy/geeky/smart friends are like that. The worst are neckbeards with the generic 250lb stained shirt, and others are fit athletes who just like to fantasy game. But none of them are so distinctly ... fruity. I don't care that they have "girlfriends", it doesn't seem like they would like girls. Being a nerd doesn't make you ultra feminine.

not that that there's anything wrong with that./seinfeld

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Rakov

I disagree. This is exactly why I didn't like it. (two episodes) All the males talk in high, whiny voices with near lisps. None of my nerdy/geeky/smart friends are like that. The worst are neckbeards with the generic 250lb stained shirt, and others are fit athletes who just like to fantasy game. But none of them are so distinctly ... fruity. I don't care that they have "girlfriends", it doesn't seem like they would like girls. Being a nerd doesn't make you ultra feminine.

Now we've got rivet counters for The Big Bang Theory. SimHQ is HARDCORE baby!
Posted By: JAMF

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 08:27 PM

Do you think the caricature nature of the characters are accidental? These nerds fortunately border on the geek, or they would never be seen near a girl.
Posted By: Rakov

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Rakov

Now we've got rivet counters for The Big Bang Theory. SimHQ is HARDCORE baby!

LOL guilty as charged! Sorry! This is a not a hardcore SimSitCom, its clearly for casuals. My fear is, Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm the casual, and the hardest core nerds and geeks are feminine and lispy wearing skinny jeans, and I'm simply... old.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 09:16 PM

I haven't seen any TrackIR support, so it's clearly sim-light at best.
Posted By: Inkgnition

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 09:20 PM

You are just old, Rakov wink I have a whole bunch of friends, who are exactly the same kind of nerds - since i saw the first episode i was thinking to myself: "Hell, this is story of my life!" smile
Posted By: Cat

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 10:17 PM

I've known and loved a lot of guys like Sheldon, Leonard, Raj, and Howard. In fact, I married one in 1997. He resembles Leonard the most of the four.

I always liked geeks when I was dating. They don't date a lot of gals and therefore appreciate us when they do get one of us. I wouldn't trade mine for all the gold in Ft. Knox. Besides, they don't think it's weird to like Star Trek. :*P

Holy crap, I just realized in company with Lil'Jugs and Panther, I've spent the last decade playing Penny/Bernadette/Amy to your all's Sheldon, Leonard, Raj, and Howard on these forums.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 10:28 PM

Women too!!!!
Posted By: PFunk

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 10:32 PM

My favorite episode ever is the one where Sheldon is doing battle with the long-tailed jay outside his window.

Every time he turns on the ultrasonic generator, I just bust a gut, it's that funny every time.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/14/12 10:54 PM

One of my favorites

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/15/12 02:58 AM

The show has grown on me somewhat- but they aren't just nerds, they are unusually neurotic. I've known very intelligent people without social skills, but these characters run the gamut of all kinds of mental disorders and social conniptions.

My favorite character is Howard- the sleazier, horny guy. In a way, he understands the perverted intentions behind all human action, he just can never really put his act together and hide in himself what others normally do.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/19/12 05:07 AM

The new season starts next Thursday September 27th, 2012. woot

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/26/12 05:54 AM

Just two more days. clapping

Wheels
Posted By: knightgames

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/27/12 12:32 AM

I've tried to like this show, but dealing with Sheldon's neurotic tendencies annoys me too much. Some of the humour is fall on your face funny, and then he walks in. Ruins it for me everytime. I just can't.
Posted By: Wireman

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/27/12 12:42 AM

A Sheldonphobe?

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/27/12 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: knightgames
I've tried to like this show, but dealing with Sheldon's neurotic tendencies annoys me too much. Some of the humour is fall on your face funny, and then he walks in. Ruins it for me everytime. I just can't.

I watch the show because of Penny. dance

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/28/12 05:09 AM

Wasn't that happy with tonight's episode. Hope they get better as the season progresses.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/28/12 05:59 AM

Yeah, kind of flat. I have faith they can pull it out, but the "Sam and Diane" factor in a show like this that initially builds it up, eventually drags it down and kills it.
Posted By: Legend

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/28/12 06:04 AM

oh, don't worry, soon Howard and Bernadette will have a baby and that opens up a whole new can of great stories.

sigh
Posted By: Mace71

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/28/12 11:28 AM

BBT is great, I can watch repeats and still enjoy them.

Also, just watched the first episode in the new season, aaaaaand so is Raj gay?

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/28/12 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33

If he is not, he should be.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/28/12 10:44 PM

A show so funny it doesn't need a laugh track.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/29/12 01:59 AM

There was always that undertone with Howard and Raj even while Howard was dating Bernadette.

Wheels
Posted By: Navigator

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/29/12 02:34 AM

Raj and Penny did sleep together once.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/29/12 05:22 AM

Sleep being the operative word.

Wheels
Posted By: Mace71

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/29/12 08:22 AM

Wheels

Damn, when I read that I hear Sheldon's voice smile

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/29/12 02:47 PM

It was a little like Schrodinger's cat. While they were in the bedroom under the influence of alcohol, to an outside observer, they were both sleeping AND having sex. It's not until you open the door that you find out what happened. In this case, one kind of had sex, the other fell asleep after the premature...
He also picked up a chick at Penny's Halloween party IIRC.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/30/12 04:40 AM

Wheels

Damn, when I read that I hear Sheldon's voice smile

Lol it was totally unintentional but it is quite Sheldonesque.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/28/12 09:00 PM

Leonard and Penny were getting along rather nicely last week. biggrin

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/10/13 07:03 AM

Sheldon's new assistant is HOTTTTTTTTTTTT.
http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/sheldon-hires-an-assitant_500x363.jpg

Wheels
Posted By: Murphy

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/10/13 07:24 AM

You are just old, Rakov wink I have a whole bunch of friends, who are exactly the same kind of nerds - since i saw the first episode i was thinking to myself: "Hell, this is story of my life!" smile

Yep, that does it....I'm over the hill also.
My days are numbered.

It confused me also....so I just didn't watch it, figured it was just more; 'Hollywood programming'.
Well, it happens, I'll deal with it. rolleyes
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/10/13 05:19 PM

My little sister bought me season one as a birthday gift (go figure :D), now I`m hooked.

Season 2 is aired here right know again, so I can continue, already thought of buying the other seasons.

Great stuff!

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/10/13 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: kilosierra
Season 2 is aired here right know again, so I can continue, already thought of buying the other seasons.

Great stuff!
I'm assuming it's dubbed in German? I wonder how well the comedy translates? Usually comedy doesn't translate too well.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/10/13 05:49 PM

I do have a new favorite scene from BBT. When I originally saw this scene, I couldn't stop laughing.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/10/13 08:38 PM

Great stuff!
I'm assuming it's dubbed in German? I wonder how well the comedy translates? Usually comedy doesn't translate too well.

Yeah,

it's dubbed. I can't compare it with the English version since I don't it, but since I'm very entertained, they do a good job dubbing it.
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/10/13 09:08 PM

Great stuff!

Frankly, IMO the translation sucks! Very bad casting of voice actors, and half of the original jokes or situations don't work properly due to sloppy translation.

@ Kilo: Do yourself a favor and watch the original version. And even if it's just to enjoy Jim Parson's great acting performance.

I have Sky, so I can watch the original version on TNT Serie (mid-season 3 right now). Also, I keep current by employing "alternate means" to see the most recent episodes. wink

BTW, same is true for pretty much any TV show I watch (Two and a half men - pre-Kutcher era, The Newsroom, Game of Thrones....).

Edit: Don't the DVD's come with an English audio track (+ subtitles)?

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/10/13 09:22 PM

I usually don't have problems following f.e. the news in English, but movies or TV-shows are just too much. I often don't get the dialogue s.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/29/13 07:44 AM

The Big Bang Theory - ALL BLOOPERS - Seasons 1 - 5

Standard Definition: http://youtu.be/VPDkgFNFtxg

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 02/01/13 11:07 PM

Flash mob time!!

A lot of cute looking girls on staff

http://www.throng.com.au/2013/01/the-big-bang-theory-cast-do-a-flash-mob/#13

Re: Big Bang Theory - 02/02/13 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Stormtrooper
Flash mob time!!

LOL, Bazinga biggrin

Re: Big Bang Theory - 02/02/13 04:02 AM

Last nights awesome ending to the show. I can see the season ending cliffhanger now. Does he or doesn't he? The clip is a spoiler if you haven't seen the episode.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 02/02/13 04:11 AM

Completely distracted by Bernadette's bounce.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 02/02/13 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Stormtrooper
Flash mob time!!

That was great. hahaha

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/24/13 05:24 AM

For those of you that missed Penny's outfit a couple of weeks ago. ahoy

The Big Bang Theory - Leonard's Secret Weapon

High Definition: 720: http://youtu.be/X7Q57Ing5Ns?hd=1

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/24/13 09:38 AM

Ah ha, I finally found the Bob's Big Boy reference that I talked about long long ago.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/01/13 03:19 AM

Ah ha, I finally found the Bob's Big Boy reference that I talked about long long ago.

I had forgotten about that scene. hahaha

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 07/02/13 09:52 AM

Ah yes, so how do you spell irony again?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment...ticle-1.1387211

I saw this and laughed, poor Leonard.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: Big Bang Theory - 07/02/13 12:25 PM

Well, Cavill is a known World of Warcraft player, so....you know he watches TBBT.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 07/02/13 01:29 PM

Goof for them, if this is legit. Has the smell of PR joint venture all over it....

reading

Little birdies keep tweeting that Superman's just not ready to fly out of the kryptonite-reinforced closet yet.

wink

Re: Big Bang Theory - 07/03/13 03:12 AM

LOL!

Yep, them hollywoods sure do get great scriptwriters for their "dating history"! biggrin

I've personally seen one well known hollywood movie star "date" someone different from what the public kept being told about. If it's been made public, it's been through publicists. To feed the bloodthirsty "Celebrity Industrial Complex".

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/01/13 08:17 PM

Not able to get my BBT fix anymore. frown
Time Warner and CBS are using their viewers as a pawn in their battle for corporate supremacy.

Wheels
Posted By: LCplCombat

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/01/13 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Wango_Tango
A show so funny it doesn't need a laugh track.

They don't have laugh tracks, they have real live audiences. Those clips just have the main dialogue tracks, you can tell because there is some dialogue missing and a minimum of background noise. Background, audience reaction and other sounds are edited in afterwards.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/01/13 09:50 PM

In either case, they serve the same purpose: there's a social component to laughter, it's known to be possibly infectious. Whether laugh track or live audience, they serve to reinforce the jokes. It's the equivalent of theme music played in minor chords when a bad guy or serious scene develops onstage or onscreen. It's supposed to be using suggestive, using the power of suggestion to the audience.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/01/13 10:46 PM

This just popped up on my Youtube what to watch. LOL

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/01/13 11:49 PM

There's something I always wonder about tv sitcoms. For me personally, I can't stand to watch any sitcoms from the 1980's or older because of how campy/cheesy the humor, situations and acting are.

Will people 20 years from now think the same thing about shows like Big Bang Theory, Modern Family or Community?

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/02/13 12:53 AM

I can still watch Cheers, Home Improvement, Married with Children, saw Cosby on LATE last night...first season even...and it's still good. I can watch WKRP at any time. Plenty of good old sitcoms out there, but there should be as many as there have been.
Shows like BBT, Arrested Development, that 70's Show, Modern Family, The Middle, Raising Hope (the current Arrested Development-like hidden gem IMO)...I think they'll be good for a long time to come. One day BBT will be funny as a look back to the time since it's so nerd-pop-culture related. The others are just brilliant and well cast, which I think will be more and more appreciated over time.
Posted By: WangoTango

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/02/13 01:40 AM

It's not funny now. Television is in a very sad state when it come to sitcoms.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 07:31 AM

Ah yes, so how do you spell irony again?

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment...ticle-1.1387211

I saw this and laughed, poor Leonard.

That "relationship" didn't last long.

Curious how/if they will work a pregnancy into the show if her recent marriage puts her in a family way?

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 11:43 AM

It will be Sheldon's baby and Amy will go ape #%&*$# and kill them all.
Posted By: 3instein

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 12:04 PM

I'm sorry folks but I just don't get this programme.
Every time I'm at my friends house he and his always seem to be watching it and that is my cue to bolt.Granted I have struggled through a few episodes but I would prefer to pour salt into my eyes to be honest,
I just can't seem to get the humour,shows like this and "Friends" spring to mind,when every word they say,it's to try and get some kind of laugh from every bloody sentence,hate it with a passion.
Mick. smile

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 3instein
when every word they say,it's to try and get some kind of laugh from every bloody sentence,hate it with a passion.
Mick. smile

It's a sitcom. LOL
Not designed for everyone, but certainly popular. We enjoy it, but I like a show featuring nerds rather than a bunch of male and female models, each one trying to be more cool than the rest, or insult comedy. I get tired of shows with "the hot blonde", "the funny hot brunette", "the cool girl-getting guy", "the funny cool guy" and of course the homosexual _________ whatever is funnier at the time. Formula sitcom, and yeah, I think Friends pretty much started it, although they weren't exactly that mold.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 01:42 PM

I haven't cared for sitcoms since I was a kid in the 80's.

I admit though that I've seen a couple of episodes of BBT and I found it funny most of the time. I'm just not a sitcom type of person.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 05:13 PM

It will be Sheldon's baby and Amy will go ape **** and kill them all.

Lol, I think she would subject them to one of her scientific studies and dissect their brains.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 05:47 PM

Sitcoms are all I can watch other than documentaries- however, I don't watch most sitcoms. The animated shows like Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama, and the crass, weird stuff.

I can't stand all the network action and drama series- corny and unrealistic as hell. I can't believe what I'm watching, I don't get the point of these shows.

Next on Rogue Warrior: A former cop has sold out to Al Qaeda and stolen a submarine, can overachieving d-bag Special Agent Skylar Ryan scramble his brain with a secret code stolen from a leaked White House press kit? STFU. What am I, a schmuck?

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 06:01 PM

Will people 20 years from now think the same thing about shows like Big Bang Theory, Modern Family or Community?

Could very well be- look at The Honey Mooners- does that cut it in 2014? What is funny is what they considered funny back then- jokes about punching your wife out to the moon. It's not the joke and delivery that's funny, it's the fact that it's supposed to be funny to make jokes like that. Sort of a product of that age.

Giligan's Island, Three's Company, Partridge Family, Leave it to Beaver- these shows just are a products of a different time.

If shows like Brady Bunch have any relevance it's because they were so campy- they are iconic and have a cultural impact. Even if people are making fun of it, everyone knows what it is.
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: 3instein
I'm sorry folks but I just don't get this programme.
Every time I'm at my friends house he and his always seem to be watching it and that is my cue to bolt.Granted I have struggled through a few episodes but I would prefer to pour salt into my eyes to be honest,
I just can't seem to get the humour,shows like this and "Friends" spring to mind,when every word they say,it's to try and get some kind of laugh from every bloody sentence,hate it with a passion.
Mick. smile

I'm right there with you, don't find this show funny at all. She's hot but not enough to watch the show...

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 07:10 PM

I don't think Penny is hot at all- she's mainly a foil for the nerds, but I think her character isn't much use except for something the nerds to bounce off of- the character isn't very funny but is supposed to come off rather more human or more typical to provide balance.

I think in time the show will either jump the shark or simply recognize it had its run.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 07:12 PM

I think in time the show will either jump the shark or simply recognize it had its run.
How many seasons has it been on the air now? I think it's something like 6 or 7? Even if it does jump the shark it will still remain a hugely successful show that made a TON of money for CBS.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 07:16 PM

Which is why shows jump the shark- shows that aren't successful in the first place just get cancelled. Shows that make money- well, the networks are trying to wring everything they can out of it before the inevitable collapse. So long as it's doing well, it's fine. Jumping the shark occurs when someone at the network feels that the show is in danger of losing its audience, so they throw something in there trying to juice it up.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 07:20 PM

I don't know how to explain the success of a show like The Simpsons- which I believe is the longest running sitcom in history, but my theory is that it has the advantage in the fact that it's animated- the characters don't grow up or grow old, move on in life (the voices behind them have died), but the images of them are the same- Bart and the other kids would be in their 30s now, the parents would be entering the age of senior citizens, that show would have long been axed before that happened, or they would have had a spinoff episode. Eventually Sheldon and Penny will get old or something happens in their real life that will have to cut the show off, at some point.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 07:39 PM

It will be Sheldon's baby and Amy will go ape **** and kill them all.

Lol, I think she would subject them to one of her scientific studies and dissect their brains.

Wheels

Hell, she taught monkeys how to smoke.

Giligan's Island, Three's Company, Partridge Family, Leave it to Beaver- these shows just are a products of a different time.

Well speaking of monkeys and kids shows in the same thread, I can't let it go without posting this.

(Funny, I posted the same video on another board earlier today. It was in a thread about the Professor dying and watching shows as kids)

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 07:44 PM

The show stopped being funny around halfway through season 6. The writers obviously struggle to come up with new ideas, and instead of advancing the characters in a meaningful way, they just make them more extreme (by grotesquely overdoing their quirks).

I call it the "Chuck Lorre Factor": every show he's ever done started out fresh and funny, but after a couple of seasons suddenly drops off significantly in quality (basically over night). Could be that he's putting his effort (and that of his top writers) into a new show at the expense of the current one. Two and a half men began declining in quality around the time Big Bang Theory took off.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 07:51 PM

Strange thing about this show- I'm usually slow catching on to things, I've only known about this show for about 2 years. It's on several different networks every night, yet for a show that's so old now, it seems like less than a dozen of the same episodes get aired. There must be more than these, but based on the repeats, it seems like the show must be only about one season's worth of episodes.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/17/14 08:34 PM

The problem lies with the way the US network tv business model is set up. It encourages the continual airing of a show even if it has been creatively stagnant for a long time. As long as the tv ratings are there, the network will continue to milk a show for all that its worth.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 02/02/14 12:36 AM

IMO the latest episode was an all time low (so far) for the show. They even ruined James Earl Jones' guest appearance. The subplots were incredibly unfunny and pointless. confused Who writes for the show these days? A bunch of teenagers?

They are currently showing reruns here on TV, and those first 3 seasons are still funny, and I must have seen these episodes a couple of time by now.
Posted By: vocatx

Re: Big Bang Theory - 02/02/14 08:10 PM

My wife and I loved the James Earl Jones episode. We expected him to reject Sheldon and probably call the police on him. Instead, he acted totally opposite of what one would think he would have. The topper was the Carrie Fisher scene: "It's not funny anymore James!" "Then why am I laughing?"
Posted By: Billzilla

Re: Big Bang Theory - 02/02/14 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: vocatx
My wife and I loved the James Earl Jones episode. We expected him to reject Sheldon and probably call the police on him. Instead, he acted totally opposite of what one would think he would have. The topper was the Carrie Fisher scene: "It's not funny anymore James!" "Then why am I laughing?"

Yeah I thought it all was pretty good as well.
I did LOL at the Carrie Fisher scene, too.
"It's not funny any more, James!"
"Then why am I laughing?"

Re: Big Bang Theory - 02/27/14 09:07 AM

Still enjoying this show. Looking forward to seeing how they spin the latest Sheldon and Amy story line.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/06/14 01:52 AM

Seem to have lost all interest in it lately. Tried watching the first couple of episodes of the new season and it just seems off and unfunny. Like getting the guaranteed three year contract caused everybody to just start phoning it in...

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/06/14 04:14 PM

It's ok, we still watch it, but the first 2 seasons were the best. I do like the additional cast since then, and there are a lot of gem episodes, but the characters aren't the fun bunch of geeks they used to be since they have to grow up.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/06/14 04:17 PM

Isn't the show currently in like its 6th or 7th season?

I'm neither a show runner or a script writer but I would imagine that it is extremely difficult to keep up the quality of a sitcom after so many years. Eventually you do run out of ideas.

However, the current ratings for the show are as strong as ever so apparently most people aren't tired of the show yet.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/06/14 04:44 PM

I think there's plenty of geek material out there, and the writers are well in touch with all of that. What's hard is including the women who, although funny and likable, limit things. The best shows were usually Penny and Sheldon's interactions, but now they have the other girlfriends complicating things. Plus, 2 geeks getting incredibly hot chicks goes against the original grain of the show.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 06/03/15 05:09 AM

No cable or TV anymore but I watch on CBS.com occasionally. Wasn't really happy with the season finale. Seems like they were out of ideas and are just creating false drama to have story lines for next year.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 06/03/15 09:26 AM

For two seasons now, it's TBBT in name only.

Just watch reruns from seasons 1-4, and it will become glaringly obvious that this former sitcom has been made into a soap....or at least into an unfunny and static version of "Friends".

Also, no way this is the same writing staff from the first three seasons.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Big Bang Theory - 06/03/15 09:32 AM

I'd never seen an episode until a month ago.I just started series 2 and so far it's great stuff.Looks like I may have to miss out the later series if what you say is true.

I'm alternating watching TBBT with 3rd Rock.Very entertaining stuff yep
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Big Bang Theory - 06/03/15 09:54 AM

The 8th season is on atm and by far it's the worst IMHO. The series was the best during first 3-4 seasons. It became more like Friends now which is a shame. I still watch it but it's not that funny any more.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Big Bang Theory - 06/03/15 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Chucky
I'd never seen an episode until a month ago.I just started series 2 and so far it's great stuff.Looks like I may have to miss out the later series if what you say is true.

I'm alternating watching TBBT with 3rd Rock.Very entertaining stuff yep
Seeing John Lithgow in Interstellar was a bit of a shock after watching 3rd Rock.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 06/03/15 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Alicatt

Seeing John Lithgow in Interstellar was a bit of a shock after watching 3rd Rock.

He's one of those few talented actors who can easily handle both comedic and dramatic roles.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Big Bang Theory - 06/03/15 01:14 PM

He was very good in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, too, playing an Alzheimer sufferer.

I've seen him in dozens of things, comedic and dramatic, and he can easily handle both.

That scene in 3rd Rock where he and Big Giant Head aka Shatner meet for the first time was great. A large part of the audience missed the Twilight Zone joke:

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Big Bang Theory - 06/03/15 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Alicatt

He's one of those few talented actors who can easily handle both comedic and dramatic roles.
I know he is a good actor, and can turn his hand at most roles, it was how old he looked in Interstellar, it was a kind of wow moment for me seeing him.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/30/15 01:15 AM

This season has been pretty decent even though it has not been as good as seasons one to four

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/30/15 01:38 AM

Yeah, they'll never be as good as the beginning seasons. Characters have to move on. Only the Simpsons and Family Guy can be frozen in time.
3 of the 4 nerds having hot women isn't quite as believable as the group falling over themselves for Penny in the beginning.

Destructis started this one a long time ago.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/30/15 01:56 AM

Yeah, they'll never be as good as the beginning seasons. Characters have to move on. Only the Simpsons and Family Guy can be frozen in time.
3 of the 4 nerds having hot women isn't quite as believable as the group falling over themselves for Penny in the beginning.

Destructis started this one a long time ago.

I know. It's one of the reasons I keep coming back to it.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/30/15 05:34 AM

thumbsup

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/30/15 11:13 AM

It's extremely difficult for any show to maintain a high level of creativity after 9 seasons and that is especially true for sitcoms.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/30/15 11:15 AM

I'm now on my 4th run through the whole thing.The only other sit-com that I have regularly watched repeatedly are Red Dwarf and The I.T Crowd.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/30/15 11:19 AM

I'm now on my 4th run through the whole thing.The only other sit-com that I have regularly watched repeatedly are Red Dwarf and The I.T Crowd.

I've never been a big sitcom fan. When it comes to comedy I prefer things with some kind of social/political commentary and historical references. Hence that's why I'm a huge Monty Python fan. smile

I'll also watch the occasional Family Guy or South Park episode.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/30/15 11:37 AM

I was also a big fan of Family Guy and South Park but just lately both seem to have taken a dive.I don't really like the PC Principal character much.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/30/15 03:08 PM

You're not supposed to. biggrin

The Jedi Master

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/21/16 05:46 AM

Recent development with the psychiatrist may be the end of the honeymoon for Leonard and Penny. Figure they will start moving the storyline along with the cheap drama that conflict between those two characters will generate.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/21/16 01:43 PM

Recent development with the psychiatrist may be the end of the honeymoon for Leonard and Penny. Figure they will start moving the storyline along with the cheap drama that conflict between those two characters will generate.

Wheels
I'm amazed how high the ratings are for that show after it being on the air for so many seasons.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/21/16 02:41 PM

I find it as funny now as it was in series 1.Penny is not quite so hot though.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/21/16 03:16 PM

1.Penny is not quite so hot though.

Yeah, she's 31 now which makes her ancient by Hollywood standards. biggrin
Posted By: knightgames

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/22/16 01:29 AM

I've been catching up on reruns and think this is the best episode I've watched in a while.

The episode where the guys go see the new Star Wars with Wil Weaton juxtaposed with Sheldon and Amy finally having sex is perfect.

BTW is it me or does Carrie Fisher look like a water retaining Bruce Jenner? (I know.. I know. I'm going to hell. I know.)

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/22/16 05:29 AM

When she abandoned the tan and straight blonde hair I was disappointed. LOL
Her body is just as rockin as ever though, when she shows it.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/22/16 05:30 AM

I think that butchered haircut she had for a season killed a lot of her charm. She seems to be letting it grow out again.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/22/16 12:10 PM

What I really like about this show is all the guest stars.I don't think there was one that I didn't like. James Earl Jones was quite brilliant of course and the early rivalry between Sheldon and Will Wheaton makes me lol.

I have to google a lot of the others because they are unknown to me and was quite shocked when I watched Mamma Mia recently and saw Leonard's mum singing and dancing and showing off her body.Shocking biggrin

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/22/16 12:11 PM

when I watched Mamma Mia recently

Turn in your man card NOW.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 01/22/16 12:16 PM

Lol,I knew that was coming! In my defence I was staying with relatives at Xmas and it just sort of happened. As a big Abba fan* I really enjoyed it.

* Damn,there goes another man card...

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 07:47 AM

Last few episodes have been pretty good but I am suspecting this is going to end up being the final season.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 09:55 AM

I thought they had scheduled 1 more after this? Despite the lowering of quality over the 10 series,which I guess is to be expected (what long-running sit-com can keep it up for that length of time?). I can't think of any,not that I watch at least.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 05:19 PM

At least 1, if not 2. The show isn't remotely as good as the first few seasons, but still funny and the cast is excellent. They're just getting written into a corner like most shows about relationships. They have to advance or end relationships. The Sam and Diane Syndrome, something's gotta change. You can't leave them going back and forth forever. It's going to be hard to have some married, some having kids and make it work. Especially with the single guys.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 05:24 PM

How have the ratings been though? Aren't they still as good as they were during the early seasons?

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 05:59 PM

I wanted to remind myself why it was so good early on so I just watched series 1 ep 6.Penny at the Halloween party dressed as a cat. whoohoo

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 06:14 PM

Yeah, it's pretty much Kaley. Melissa Rauch is mighty hot too, but doesn't show it off the way they dress Penny up.
Posted By: No Fear

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 06:33 PM

I thought they had scheduled 1 more after this? Despite the lowering of quality over the 10 series,which I guess is to be expected (what long-running sit-com can keep it up for that length of time?). I can't think of any,not that I watch at least.

Well,the famous sitcom Friends lasted for 10 seasons with no significant decline in quality in my opinion.
Another one would be Married with children that lasted for 11 seasons with no apparent decline in quality over the years.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 06:45 PM

Friends declined, due to relationships in the group. The Ross/Rachel thing should've remained a crush and then move on to drop it. It got really sappy. Then the other two paired up, which was just annoying.
Married with Children was tv greatness, especially for basically an insult comedy. The first season or two tried to have heart and "moments" which didn't work, so they dropped it. Jefferson saved the show and they went over the top with NO MA'AM, keeping it fresh and even funnier. It was brilliant in that it was simple, switch off your brain humor. Throw in some eye candy with Christina and guests...win. It was sad when it went off the air. The constant jabs at the French were hilarious. LOL

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 06:47 PM

What cracked me up the most about "Married with Children" was the totally unrealistic situation of the family.

So a dad who happens to be a shoe salesman and has a non-working wife is able to support a family of 4 and have a pretty decent large house? Even in the late 80's that was a huge stretch!

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 06:57 PM

And the never ate. Other than toaster leavin's and the like. LOL
See what a paid off car can do for you? THE DODGE FTW!
Posted By: No Fear

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 08:07 PM

Friends declined, due to relationships in the group. The Ross/Rachel thing should've remained a crush and then move on to drop it. It got really sappy. Then the other two paired up, which was just annoying.
Married with Children was tv greatness, especially for basically an insult comedy. The first season or two tried to have heart and "moments" which didn't work, so they dropped it. Jefferson saved the show and they went over the top with NO MA'AM, keeping it fresh and even funnier. It was brilliant in that it was simple, switch off your brain humor. Throw in some eye candy with Christina and guests...win. It was sad when it went off the air. The constant jabs at the French were hilarious. LOL

Friends' fluctuation in quality is nothing compared to that of Two and a Half Men which lasted for 12 seasons.

But it is a constant complaint when it comes to long running sitcoms/series.
Think also of Cheers 11 seasons,Frasier 11 seasons,Murphy Brown 10 seasons.And that's just sitcoms,not TV series in general.I'm sure many people will complain about the varying quality of the different seasons of these TV series.

As far as The Big Bang Theory is concerned, I'd say that this season is much better than the previous 2 were.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/28/16 09:33 PM

I found 2.5 Men too obnoxious to ever get into. Couldn't stand it. No clue how it lasted. I haven't found Charlie Sheen funny in the least outside of Ferris Bueller. Maybe Hot Shots 2. Terrible MJF replacement for Spin City, which lost it after MJF left and they dropped half of the cast, IMO.
Cheers was saved by Shelley Long leaving and bringing in Kirstie Alley while dropping relationships from the show. It would've been over in 5 otherwise IMO.
There's no telling what will work I guess.

BBT is still good when they push the nerd aspect with the guys. They just don't do it often enough now, concentrating on individual quirks and relationship humor.
Posted By: WileECoyote

Re: Big Bang Theory - 11/29/16 04:24 AM

BBT is still good when they push the nerd aspect with the guys. They just don't do it often enough now, concentrating on individual quirks and relationship humor.

My sentiment exactly. Not a bad show, but I miss more of the nerd/looser type jokes to which I could relate... I can't relate to marrying a hot girl. biggrin

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/06/17 01:43 AM

Still on the fence about this season. First two episodes were just OK.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/06/17 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu

Wheels

I'm really amazed at how long this show has gone on. The writers must be running out of ideas by now.

However, the show is still getting great ratings so that justifies keeping the show on the air for purely business reasons.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/06/17 01:59 PM

I'd say it was just about hanging on,in my opinion of course. It's lost what it once had (to be expected really over 10 seasons). I won't hold out much hope for season 11 but we do have the spin-off (Young Sheldon) that has just started. It's too early to make any sort of conclusion about that show as I've only seen episode 1 so far.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/06/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky
...t we do have the spin-off (Young Sheldon) that has just started. It's too early to make any sort of conclusion about that show as I've only seen episode 1 so far.

Young Sheldon is quite funny, so far, but I suspect that it won't last long. After about two seasons they will have run out of jokes.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/09/17 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Wheels

I'm really amazed at how long this show has gone on. The writers must be running out of ideas by now.
However, the show is still getting great ratings so that justifies keeping the show on the air for purely business reasons.

At this point I doubt any of the "stars" will have much success after the show goes off the air so they are holding on for the paychecks now too.

Wheels
Posted By: Bandit4

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/13/17 12:34 AM

IMO..The show was ruined years ago when the guys all got married or had girlfriends..
IMO..The show was its best when they were pure geeks and it was funny watching them do their thing
Posted By: Mad Max

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/13/17 12:44 AM

They show these things in Oz too. Never watched a single episode of any of them.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/13/17 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Max
They show these things in Oz too. Never watched a single episode of any of them.

What I find interesting is that you always hear the notion that comedy is a very relative thing among different cultures and countries but it does seem like quite a few US sitcoms have been global hits as well. So there seems to be some kind of formula behind the US sitcoms that gives those shows universal appeal.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 10/14/17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit4
IMO..The show was ruined years ago when the guys all got married or had girlfriends..
IMO..The show was its best when they were pure geeks and it was funny watching them do their thing

I like the Amy and Bernadette characters.
Another thing on the plus side is that for a tiny chick ­Melissa Rauch is smokin' hot. Melissa reminds me of Kelly Stables who played Alan Harper's secretary and girlfriend (Melissa) for a couple of seasons on Two and a Half Men.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/22/18 07:02 PM

Slated for a twelfth season but the fact that they are shoving so many guest stars into the episodes this season makes me wonder if they are trying to get everyone in before they are cancelled? Ending the run with Amy and Sheldon getting married would have three of the four main cast characters married. Leaving just Raj as the lone Single character.

This year has just been OK, like several of the previous seasons.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/22/18 07:38 PM

Same here, it's ok, but no big deal if I miss one or two. IMO the Young Sheldon show is a much better production. Well cast, the mother and Annie Potts as the grandmother in particular. Very different presentation and you know his dad dies at some point, adding some weight to it all.
Posted By: Ssnake

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/22/18 09:29 PM

Commercially, they will continue to add one season after another for as long as they're making a profit.
From an artistic point of view, getting Raj married would provide at least some closure to the big story arc (=solve the mystery how nerds find women). Maybe they should have ended the show after the fourth season - but if you're looking for artistic integrity, don't go into the show business. It's show, and it's business, and that's all there is to be said about an artist's ethic.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/22/18 10:24 PM

I wasn't expecting too much from Young Sheldon and after the 1st episode I still wasn't sure but it's grown on me.

I just realised who Annie Potts is! She's the secretary from Ghostbusters.
Posted By: Master

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/22/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Maybe Hot Shots 2. Terrible MJF replacement for Spin City, which lost it after MJF left and they dropped half of the cast, IMO.

I had forgotten about how good Spin City was. Just watched the pilot episode again. Great show.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/22/18 11:48 PM

It was, until the man had to leave. They had a really good, large, cast to boot. They cut out a lot of good characters.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/22/18 11:51 PM

Another thing on the plus side is that for a tiny chick ­Melissa Rauch is smokin' hot. Melissa reminds me of Kelly Stables who played Alan Harper's secretary and girlfriend (Melissa) for a couple of seasons on Two and a Half Men.

Wheels

We have the same taste.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/23/18 12:31 PM

makes me wonder if they are trying to get everyone in before they are cancelled?
Wheels

BBT is still the number 1 rated comedy on network tv and it's still making a ton of money for CBS so CBS will gladly keep on milking it until the show's creators decide to end it for creative reasons.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/24/18 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chucky
I wasn't expecting too much from Young Sheldon and after the 1st episode I still wasn't sure but it's grown on me.

I just realised who Annie Potts is! She's the secretary from Ghostbusters.

Her true claim to fame is starring in Corvette Summer with Mark Hamill. biggrin
Oh, and there was even that short lived TV series Designing Women that ran in the 1980's to early 1990's.

Originally Posted by oldgrognard

Wheels

We have the same taste.

Lol, that would not bode well for me if we both were in the same bar trying to pick up women.

Wheels
Posted By: coasty

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/24/18 11:02 PM

I am a late comer to Big Bang Theory but recording and watching several per day has been fun. My wife watches it with me, as one of our few mutually enjoyed shows. We like the plot twists.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/25/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by coasty
I am a late comer to Big Bang Theory but recording and watching several per day has been fun. My wife watches it with me, as one of our few mutually enjoyed shows. We like the plot twists.

The early seasons are definitely better than the following ones. Imo, by the time you get to the clunker episodes having watched from the beginning the characters will have grown on you so much that you will still enjoy them quite a bit.

Wheels
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Big Bang Theory - 04/29/18 02:53 PM

If I may be allowed to go OT on this thread for a moment (was waiting for discussion to die down)...

As someone who is highly motivated by music, one of the most endearing songs which is *always* on my go-to list when I need that extra push, was posted on one of my music threads by the OP, who passed away in 2014...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5BqpvcWuyo

Thanks again, Destructis! cheers

Pic...
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/posts/3747219

Re: Big Bang Theory - 07/04/18 04:32 AM

Great song selection Mark and Destructis. thumbsup

Mark Hamill being on the final episode of season eleven was a nice surprise.

The Big Bang Theory - Sheldon And Amy's Wedding (S11E24) [Season Finale]

The Big Bang Theory - Luke Skywalker performs the wedding ceremony for Sheldon and Amy Cooper

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/19/18 05:20 AM

It's 12th and final season begins Monday, Sept. 24.
CBS: https://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/19/18 10:32 AM

Apparently the show ended because Jim Parsons decided that it was time for him to move on. I admire that!

The show still gets good ratings but seriously, how much longer could the writers have kept the show fresh creatively after so many seasons?

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/19/18 10:51 AM

I'm a huge TBBT fan but even I want it to stop. I must start watching it from season 1 again soon to remind myself how funny it used to be.

Is Young Sheldon getting a 3rd series?

Re: Big Bang Theory - 09/20/18 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Apparently the show ended because Jim Parsons decided that it was time for him to move on. I admire that!

The show still gets good ratings but seriously, how much longer could the writers have kept the show fresh creatively after so many seasons?

How can he be moving on when he is the narrator for Young Sheldon? He is also executive producer for the YS series too. Sounds to me he is just dropping the rest of the cast so he can get a larger piece of the pie. Nothing wrong with him doing that but to me it just seems hypocritical to say he needs to "move on" when he is putting his efforts into the other series.

Wheels

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/17/19 12:48 AM

The final original episode airs tonight. I will miss it but not as much as if it had quit a few seasons back.
Jim Parsons already has a new gig but I wonder if any of the other cast members are going to be able to move on from the series? From a historical perspective it does not bode well for any of them.

Had to make another post if for no other reason than to keep Destructis's memory alive. Still miss you buddy.

Wheels
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/17/19 01:02 AM

Just watched it. I think it was well done and a fitting conclusion.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/17/19 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Just watched it. I think it was well done and a fitting conclusion.

Thanks for the news OG. cool
I still have a few hours left before it's shown on this coast but I am glad to hear it wasn't a complete miss. The last couple of episodes seemed somewhat more contrived than usual and a bit out of place to me.

Wheels
Posted By: coasty

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/17/19 01:49 AM

it has the official Coasty seal of approval
Posted By: No105_Archie

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/17/19 12:06 PM

It was a very good ending I thought. They quit while they were ahead. smile

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/17/19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by No105_Archie
They quit while they were ahead. smile

Yup. That's wise advice that has not been followed by the vast majority of other shows which ended up staying WELL beyond their welcome.

I'm looking at you X-Files and The Walking Dead.

Re: Big Bang Theory - 05/18/19 03:26 AM

Day later than most everybody else. I just finished watching the last episode.
They really got it right. thumbsup

Wheels
© 2024 SimHQ Forums