homepage

Next week's game releases

Posted By: Jayhawk

Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 05:46 PM

Oh how times flies.... wink

Modern Warfare 3 is scheduled for Tuesday, November 8, which leaves plenty of time to finish it - twice(!) neaner - before the release of the best game of the year (most likely): The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on Friday, November 11. Charge
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 05:57 PM

I wish there were more RPGs that are not set in a fantasy setting. Take Far Cry 2's setting and make a proper RPG/shooter, or another sci fi setting. Because of this I am not interested in Ender Scrolls.
Posted By: Sauron

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 05:59 PM

My oldest daughter is about to have apoplexy over the imminent release of Skyrim.

Who knows, I might even have a look at it. I don't normally do the sword and sorcery thing, but the previous titles were kind of fun. You don't get a lot of first person sword fighters.

I'm also sort of intrigued by the Dragon's Age stuff, but don't know much about it. But some dragons in game might be fun.

As for the shooters, I just bought ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead as my introduction to the ArmA series. I play OFP: Dragon Rising, which I like better than anyone else apparently, and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. I don't know anything about the Modern Warfare series or BF3. I wouldn't mind checking out the Black Ops title as it seems to cover my era of military service, but overall, I'm out of touch with the shooters.

If anyone has any tips on any of this stuff, I'm all ears.

Cheers!

Rick... cowboy
Posted By: Jayhawk

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 06:10 PM

Sauron, the Call of Duty series, or Battlefield 3 SP "campaign", are more like interactive short movies than tactical shooters: heavily scripted, lots of quicktime events where you are tasked to press a button on your keyboard or mouse when prompted to, you move strictly on rails with next to no tactical freedom (unless scripted). It's like a Michael Bay movie that let's you do the shooting.

That being said, I find the COD series entertaining and well made for what it does. Thankfully I get a review copy though, for I would not shell out 50 bucks for mere 4 hours or so of SP gameplay (I refuse to play MP with these games, for I've spoiled by ArmA and America's Army, a long time ago when it was still fun to play).

Still waiting for some "middle ground" military tactical "shooter" that gives the player the tactical freedom of Arma but with a better SP campaign (story) and better movement controls (CQB in Arma is a PITA).
Posted By: Timothy

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
I wish there were more RPGs that are not set in a fantasy setting. Take Far Cry 2's setting and make a proper RPG/shooter, or another sci fi setting. Because of this I am not interested in Ender Scrolls.

I just couldn't get into FC2. Glad I bought it on super duper sale.

I drove past a check point. Had to kill a bunch of guys. Drive by the same check point the same day and I have to kill the same guys again.

Anyone play LA Noire? Was it good?

Wish I had more time to play, but as much as I like playing games, practicing ballroom dance with co-eds is much funner. biggrin
Posted By: Goodwood

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 10:24 PM

Sauron and Flogger: Have you tried the Mass Effect series?

Mass Effect 3 is due in March, plenty of time for you to get lost in the first two... wink
Posted By: LugnutUSA

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 10:39 PM

Deus Ex series has you covered.

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Goodwood

Mass Effect 3 is due in March, plenty of time for you to get lost in the first two... wink

Yup, I'm anxiously awaiting ME 3 even with it having Origin.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Timothy

I drove past a check point. Had to kill a bunch of guys. Drive by the same check point the same day and I have to kill the same guys again.

I did manage to finish the whole game and enjoy it for the most part but yeah, the constantly respawning checkpoints was a major design flaw.
Posted By: Blade_RJ

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/05/11 11:30 PM

isnt there a mod that removes it ? i remember reading about someone working on it,dont know if they released it,as i stoped checking and dont now the site or forum anymore.
Posted By: Husar

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/06/11 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Sauron
You don't get a lot of first person sword fighters.

Have you tried Mount&Blade: Warband?

Well, that's if you like that kind of game, it even skips the whole sorcery part.

As for next week's releases, I'm not really into either.

I may try Skyrim later down the line but I thought the same about Oblivion and still haven't tried it.
Guess I just prefer Gothic/Risen.

At the moment I'm quite content with World of Tanks anyway. biggrin
Posted By: Mace71

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/06/11 12:59 AM

I wouldn't mind checking out the Black Ops title as it seems to cover my era of military service

No, the American War of Independence isn't in BlOps biggrin Just kidding.

I can't wait for Skyrim either.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/06/11 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Timothy

That was annoying. The mirrored guns that lacked power were annoying to... but it came for free with my video card. Overall I liked the game enough to play it through twice.

Originally Posted By: LugnutUSA

Deus Ex series has you covered.

I am eagerly awaiting ME3 and for this to drop in price. I hope STALKER 2 turns out to be the best STALKER game yet. So at least this year my RPG/open FPS needs will be fullfilled.

I am a huge ME fan. I have two characters for both games... I am not sure which I will play through first. Probably the male one.
Posted By: Speedo

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/06/11 02:50 AM

Quote:
I'm also sort of intrigued by the Dragon's Age stuff, but don't know much about it. But some dragons in game might be fun.

Dragon age is a great game. Highly recommended.
Posted By: Goodwood

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/06/11 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Speedo
Quote:

Dragon age is a great game. Highly recommended.

I also recommend both games. Though you ought to remember to pack a lunch, because they're both very long!
Posted By: xthor

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/06/11 03:58 AM

Batman: Arkham City (PC) is getting released on Nov. 18 -- I wish it's next week frown
Posted By: Sauron

Re: Next week's game releases - 11/06/11 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
I wouldn't mind checking out the Black Ops title as it seems to cover my era of military service

No, the American War of Independence isn't in BlOps biggrin Just kidding.

I can't wait for Skyrim either.

Come now Mace, don't exaggerate! My first service sidearm was...

One of These!

They came about long after the War of Independence!

Cheers!

Rick... old_simmer
© 2024 SimHQ Forums