homepage

Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs...

Posted By: Brennus

Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 12:31 AM

Posted By: adlabs6

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 12:58 AM

Not bad work.

One of the best games I've ever played.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 01:03 AM

yep, brings back alot of memories.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 12:36 PM

Even for its day the graphics were a bit dated, but it didn't matter.

I think the last time I played it was about 6 years ago, but it was still good.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Coot

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 12:55 PM

Very cool. It would be a nice feature to see the animated hands and actions from the fp persective in the game.
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 01:10 PM

I played Half Life Source a few years ago and enjoyed it. I never did play the original.
Posted By: 20mm

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 02:20 PM

I loved HL2, never played the original.

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 20mm
I loved HL2, never played the original.
I played and finished HL 2 at least 3 times. Yup, I liked it too. biggrin

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 03:20 PM

I sure hope the Black Mesa mod sees the light of day.

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 03:24 PM

I will be most curious to see what's coming next from Valve. Portal 2 just recently came out so will they be making a Left 4 Dead 3? Maybe Half Life 3?

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 03:27 PM

Will Half Life 3 become the next Duke Nukem Forever? biggrin

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 03:31 PM

I sure hope not. Would be neet to see what their next generationg source engine would look like. Half-Life 3 looking like the BF3 engine or CryEngine3 would be something.
Posted By: Bib4Tuna

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 03:42 PM

According to Valve, there are no plans for a new version of the Source Engine. They will keep updating and improving on the current version.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37672/Valve-No-existing-plan-for-Source-Engine-2

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 04:05 PM

The Source engine doesn't have the eye candy of Crysis or the latest Unreal 3 games but it still looks pretty darn good and it runs great on my non-uber PC. smile
Posted By: HitchHikingFlatlander

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 04:55 PM

Definitely Valve is pretty good on sticking with an engine that works on a wide range of hardware and looks pretty decent too. I'm not so sure I want a L4D3 though I think that game has jumped the shark unless they drastically change the gameplay and many other elements.

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 05:48 PM

I think the source engine is great. I think Half-Life 2 is one of the only games I can think of where the game's minimum requirements not only were spot on, but peformed very well at the same time. I think HL2's minimum requirements was something like a 2.4GHz machine, 568mb ram and a Geforce4 Ti card. Sure enough in 2004 when it came out my pc was exactly what the game listed as minimum requirements. What suprised me was that I think I had most all graphics set to high and it still had great frame rates. Hard to find that type of scenario anymore.

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 06:01 PM

Indeed. I'm glad to hear they'll stick with the same engine. Great performance and visuals on my lower end machines.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 07:11 PM

I played and loved Half Life. I have a confession though. I have never played HL2 despite the fact that the orange box is sitting in my CD rack on my computer desk. I will have to rectify that!

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 07:15 PM

Half Life 2 and the two Episodes are worth your time, if you enjoyed the original. From HL2 onward, you can tell they feel the pressure to build up the new characters, whereas the loner feeling in the original Half Life was the key to it's haunt.

The weakest link is HL2: Episode One, but only by a bit IMO. It decently bridges the gap directly into the FANTASTIC HL2: Episode Two. Some incredibly vivid moments in Episode Two.
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 07:21 PM

I heard it was great. I'm just spending most of available gaming time with tactical sims. I used to be big FPS'er though.

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
I heard it was great. I'm just spending most of available gaming time with tactical sims. I used to be big FPS'er though.
Portal also came with the Orange Box so you might like that one too!
Posted By: Dozer

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 05/31/11 10:09 PM

That video was made by the same animator who made this amazing video:
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Here's somethin' for the old school Half-Life'rs... - 06/01/11 11:49 PM

The Source engine periodically gets a revamp. The last time was in late 2007 when Orange Box came out. At that time, coinciding with the release of Ep2 and Portal they did the "2007" update which actually back-ported HDR into HL2. Originally Lost Coast intro'd it and Ep 1 was the first release with it OOTB. Play HL2 in the last 4 years, though, and you'll see HDR is now in.
I was expecting a major jump for Portal 2, but instead it was another minor one. Not too much change from Portal 1 to 2. They're still DX9-only, which is another interesting thing as their own hardware surveys indicate a significant minority of their audience has DX10/11 capability between video card and OS.

The Jedi Master
© 2024 SimHQ Forums