homepage

Air Force A-2

Posted By: Josh Echo

Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 03:56 PM

Anyone know of a good manufacturer for an "authentic" reproduction of a 1944-era U.S.A.A.F.-issue A-2 flight jacket? I don't know much about the subject; hopefully some of you do. I basically am looking for something that is as close as I can get to what the real guys would have had.
Posted By: Fitz505

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 04:34 PM

www.gibson-barnes.com or you can type flightsuits.com, which will take you there. Bought my G-1 there 5 years ago and love it. Most of their leather jackets are custom made. Ain't cheap!

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 04:46 PM

Did they try to sell you a bunch of snake-oil to put on your jacket, "to protect it"? [smile ] I got an A-2 jacket ten years ago and the salespeople insisted that I needed to put some goop on it to keep water from ruining it. I got lazy and stopped doing it after one or two treatments, and it never did take any water damage.

However, my jacket is far too big for me and so it doesn't keep me warm. I live in a place with rather nasty winters, and I'm wondering if a flight jacket is even right for me. They weren't designed to protect from wind, but rather to keep a pilot warm in an enclosed cockpit. Right? Temperatures were deadly low at high altitude, but not from windchill.

According to their sizing chart, I have the chest of a medium, the waist of a small, and sleeves of an extra-large. No wonder I can never get clothes that fit me. : (
Posted By: Mace71

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 05:57 PM

Are they the ones with the big fleece collars?
Posted By: semmern

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Are they the ones with the big fleece collars?

No, that would be the Irvin for the RAF, and the B-3 for the USAF.
Posted By: Sauron

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 06:48 PM

Gibson-Barnes makes a nice Navy G-1. I should get one. They have lady sizes. Maybe I should get one for The Lioness. She's mostly a western-wear sort, though.

Cheers!

Rick... pilot

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 06:58 PM

A-2 is the one generally issued to U.S.A.A.F. fighter pilots, I believe. Not too sure on what was standard issue when or where, or even if there was a consistent standard.
Posted By: Fitz505

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 07:55 PM

I actually got 2 G-1's from them over time. I made the mistake of getting lamb's skin for the leather. It looks fantastic, but is too fragile for hard wear. It scuff's too easy, so it became my "dress jacket". Besides, I had them put 'hand warmer' pockets on that one, so it worked out OK. The second one was a stock G-1. Cowhide and no wussy hand warmer pocket's. The older it get's, the better it looks.
Posted By: Sauron

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitz505
I actually got 2 G-1's from them over time. I made the mistake of getting lamb's skin for the leather. It looks fantastic, but is too fragile for hard wear. It scuff's too easy, so it became my "dress jacket". Besides, I had them put 'hand warmer' pockets on that one, so it worked out OK. The second one was a stock G-1. Cowhide and no wussy hand warmer pocket's. The older it get's, the better it looks.

I'm glad to know that. I'm rough on clothing so I better get the cowhide.

Cheers!

Rick... thumbsup
Posted By: Master

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 08:25 PM

US Wings makes some good jackets as well.

http://www.uswings.com/
Posted By: BlackLion

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/02/11 10:00 PM

IMHO there is only one manufacturer on this planet that really makes great authentic aircrew jackets and that is Eastman Leather!
I have one of their B-3s and it is just GREAT!!!!!
they do the whole range of US, UK and even Luftwaffe jackets (though the LW never had a standard issue jacket, there were several models that have become famous through their wearers smile - funny enough Heinz Bär used a liberated A-2 jacket while several LW fighter pilots used B-3s, obtained from captured bomber crews).
be prepared to dish out some hard earned dineros for an Eastman, but you will not be disappointed!
Posted By: Jaz

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/03/11 01:08 AM

Those flight jackets are very nice! Especially those RAF bomber jackets.

Now I want something for which I don't have the money banghead

Jaz
Posted By: jocko-

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/03/11 02:54 PM

Eastman makes very nice jackets but if you want the best:

if money is no object
Posted By: Sim

Re: Air Force A-2 - 02/03/11 08:21 PM

Title "Air Force A-2" instantly made me think of intelligence....Although "Air Force" was a bit redundant. Sorry. Carry On.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums