homepage

EReaders Price Wars

Posted By: Destructis

EReaders Price Wars - 06/21/10 08:57 PM

http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/21/technology/nook_price_cut/index.htm?hpt=T2

Quote:
Take that, Kobo. As e-reader competition heats up, Barnes & Noble responded Monday by cutting the price of its flagship Nook to $199 and introducing a low-cost, Wi-Fi-only version for $149.

Just hours later, Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) hit back. It slashed the price of its popular Kindle to $189 -- a deep discount from the original $259.

We have had a few conversations lately about E Readers. I just saw this article on CNN about price wars. If you are interested in buying one, now might be the time to keep a closer eye on them. I just quoted a small portion of the article.
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/21/10 09:06 PM

I saw that B&N had dropped the price, but not the Kindle. I love competition!
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/21/10 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Arthonon
I love competition!
Yup, the free market at its best!
Posted By: Legend

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/21/10 09:17 PM

No mention of the BeBook Neo... too bad, it seems to be the best of the bunch.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/21/10 09:54 PM

We're getting there. Get to about $75. wink
Posted By: Mace71

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/21/10 09:58 PM

I am very much against these things. I like the feeling of a book in my hands and having pages to turn. Call me a ludite but I will not go that way and will call anyone who has one a witch and shout at them 'Burn the heretic!' smile
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/21/10 10:25 PM

I prefer a paperback, but I'd like to reclaim shelf space. I'm not good at getting rid of books, much less dusting them. Plus, if these take off, maybe we could start keeping book "in print" rather than basically losing them to time. There are books from just a few years ago that are either very hard to get or super expensive used--and these are just average novels. We may see a wave of books that haven't been printed in years re-released if they don't have to be printed and warehoused.
Posted By: Clownloachlover

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/21/10 11:01 PM

How much is it to put a book on a eReader?
Posted By: Clownloachlover

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/21/10 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
We're getting there. Get to about $75. wink

That will be my price point too. $189 is steep for me. Would rather use that on a Xbox Slim and read a real book.
Posted By: Legend

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/22/10 09:09 AM

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
I am very much against these things. I like the feeling of a book in my hands and having pages to turn. Call me a ludite but I will not go that way and will call anyone who has one a witch and shout at them 'Burn the heretic!' smile

Although I agree with the sentiment, I travel a lot and love to read. So I'm facing the option of putting several kilograms of books in my suitcase, risking overweight at the airline counter and a hernia, or getting an e-reader that weighs less than half a kilogram including charger and several hundreds of books. And of course undergoing the taunts of people that think a digital watch is a pretty clever idea wink
Posted By: Master

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/22/10 01:29 PM

I have a friend who bought a nook just last week. Then they dropped the price and his magically because broken so he took it back for a refund.

The wifi only version of the nook might be in my future. We do not have 3g support for atnt here anyways so that feature is useless.
Posted By: Goodwood

Re: EReaders Price Wars - 06/23/10 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Destructis
http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/21/technology/nook_price_cut/index.htm?hpt=T2

Quote:
Take that, Kobo. As e-reader competition heats up, Barnes & Noble responded Monday by cutting the price of its flagship Nook to $199 and introducing a low-cost, Wi-Fi-only version for $149.

Just hours later, Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) hit back. It slashed the price of its popular Kindle to $189 -- a deep discount from the original $259.

We have had a few conversations lately about E Readers. I just saw this article on CNN about price wars. If you are interested in buying one, now might be the time to keep a closer eye on them. I just quoted a small portion of the article.

I have to admit, seeing this topic made me wonder if the thread was about Scientology or some gobsh*te related to it...

...in any case, though I too like the feel of paperbacks in my hands, the idea of using a "padd" (to borrow a term from Star Trek) to access large text files does possess its own innate appeal.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums