homepage

"Seeing" threats on radar

Posted By: AngleOff

"Seeing" threats on radar - 03/05/19 01:55 PM

Using the latest F4 BMS.
I'm trying to learn how to find targets on my radar, lock them up and fire missiles.
I'm in instant action fighter sweep. I see two 21's show up on my RWR at 12:00 close enough that my radar should see them. Radar is in RWS, 40 mile cone,
but the numbers to the right of the curser bars are red and both upper and lower number say -91. I have 1 MRM up on my HUD. I pushed F6 to center my radar
but the red numbers still say -91. The 21's never show on my left MFD and I get launch warnings and hit by missiles very quickly. Obviously I'm doing something
wrong.
I have also watched a couple of tutorials on this (Krause and Yeager) and both mention "TMS up" or right, but never say what or where this switch is.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
AO
Posted By: DBond

Re: "Seeing" threats on radar - 03/05/19 02:33 PM

The negative 91 is showing radar elevation, and -91 isn't going to work.

The top number shows the upper limit of the radar cone in thousands of feet (altitude) at the distance of the cursors. The bottom number shows the lower limit of the cone. Push it further away and the numbers diverge because of the expanding cone. Pull the cursors closer and the numbers converge because the cone is narrower at closer ranges

So the goal is to get the cursors with an altitude range that includes the altitude the target is flying at. I think radar elevation work is one of the things new players struggle the most with.

What do you have radar elevation set to? Commonly a rotary or other analog input is used as it's an assignable axis. The Cougar for example has the radar elevation rotary which makes it easy. If your stick has an analog control you can use for this it is best.

In your case your radar cone is looking almost straight down, and is not scanning the airspace the Fishbeds are flying in. You need to tilt that cone upwards to scan this airspace and then can attain a lock.

TMS Up will lock the target. But what it is set to depends on the key file you are using. Check the keyfile to see what it is. When you are able to paint that return with your radar elevation work, slew the cursors over the return and release TMS Up and it will lock the target. At that point it is as good as dead smile

Re: "Seeing" threats on radar - 03/05/19 07:22 PM

Yo DBond, thank you!
The radar elevation was bound to a rotary on my throttle stick. (X-52)
I found the TMS in the set-up keystrokes and bound it to my upper hat switch on my stick. Shot down a bunch of 21's and 23's.
But things happen so fast I have to keep pausing so I can remember where a keystroke is! Totally forgot chaf and flares and got wacked a bunch of times.
Also have to remember not to squeeze the heck outta the stick while trying to do things......I was accidently ruddering and rolling all over the place while trying to
hold down the pickle button or push TMS up.
I can see I'm gonna have to put many more functions on my stick and calm the heck down! That was truly exciting!
Thanks for your help D,
AO

Re: "Seeing" threats on radar - 03/05/19 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by AngleOff
Yo DBond, thank you!

My pleasure.

The radar elevation was bound to a rotary on my throttle stick. (X-52)

This is perfect

But things happen so fast I have to keep pausing so I can remember where a keystroke is!

As have we all smile That's the way to learn. In case you were not aware, shift-P is a pause mode where the pit is still clickable/functional. Very useful in the training stages.

Re: "Seeing" threats on radar - 03/05/19 09:23 PM

Yep, got the shft-p. Now I'm gonna put as much on my stick as I can!

AO

Re: "Seeing" threats on radar - 03/05/19 10:38 PM

There is a setup guide and what I suppose is a profile included with BMS under Docs>Key Files and Input>Device Setup Guides and Profiles.

Setting up your own may be preferable, but I would imagine that the included one gets most or all of the real Viper HOTAS commands on it, knowing BMS. Could save you a bunch of work and testing and trial.

I used the included files for the Cougar and it was just about perfect. I made a few slight alterations to suit me, but overall it is really good. Author is Dunc, and perhaps someone else made the X52 profile. Might be worth a go to see how you like it if you haven't already done so.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums