homepage

Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison?

Posted By: Wedge

Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 11/18/15 04:52 PM

With Emergency Jettison (Ctrl+J): I found out that this will drop the external fuel and ordinance.

I was looking through the key commands for BMS 4.33 I couldnt find anything in the list for just Fuel Tanks Jettison. What is the Key Command for this?

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/...fghanistan.html
Posted By: Frederf

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 11/18/15 05:09 PM

Anything carted for jettison so tanks, bombs, rocket pods but not missiles.

Selective Jettison (S-J) is OSB#11 on the SMS page.
Posted By: Wedge

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 11/18/15 05:31 PM

Good to know - thanks so much.

Also, what is the proper protocol for dropping fuel tanks - max speed? Do you ever return to base with empty fuel tanks or always jettison before returning to base?
Posted By: Boomer

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 11/18/15 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Wedge
Also, what is the proper protocol for dropping fuel tanks - max speed? Do you ever return to base with empty fuel tanks or always jettison before returning to base?

Real World bring em home unless tactical requirements to drop, they cost $$ afterall.

I usually bring my bags home.
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 11/18/15 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Frederf
Anything carted for jettison so tanks, bombs, rocket pods but not missiles.

Selective Jettison (S-J) is OSB#11 on the SMS page.

Does selective jettison then override the normal jettison command, as in;

pre-selective jet, the button dumps 'all the heavy stuff'

post-select jet, the jettison command key jets what ever you profiled via the select jet page.
Posted By: Kosmo.

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 11/18/15 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Does selective jettison then override the normal jettison command, as in;

pre-selective jet, the button dumps 'all the heavy stuff'

post-select jet, the jettison command key jets what ever you profiled via the select jet page.

In a word, no. The emergency jettison button drops all jettisonable stores, no matter your selection. When you go into the S-J page in the SMS MFD you can see in the lower left of the HUD that the master mode is changed to S-JET. After you select the stations on the MFD, press the pickle button to drop them. Master arm switch needs to be in MASTER ARM. Remember, for some stores you can select only the store or both the store and the pylon to be jettisoned, click the corresponding OSB multiple times and you will see the inverse video highlight reflect this.

As for when to drop them, as Helo_Head said, empty or not you don't drop them unless you really need to IRL.

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 11/19/15 08:38 AM

PS. regarding dropping the tanks. Even though stores don't cost actual money in BMS, the squadron stores are limited, and I have gotten to a point in one campaign where the 370 gal tanks supply was running low. Fortunately they didn't run out, but that's a thing to watch out for. I'm not entirely sure how squadron stores are set in the BMS Korea theater, but IRL it's possible that a squadron might not have one pair of wing tanks and one centerline tank for each and every aircraft in the squadron, as it's very rare or even downright impossible that every single jet will be in the air at the same time. So you can imagine that if you drop them in every mission they will run out very quickly.
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 11/19/15 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Kosmo.
PS. regarding dropping the tanks. Even though stores don't cost actual money in BMS, the squadron stores are limited, and I have gotten to a point in one campaign where the 370 gal tanks supply was running low. Fortunately they didn't run out, but that's a thing to watch out for. I'm not entirely sure how squadron stores are set in the BMS Korea theater, but IRL it's possible that a squadron might not have one pair of wing tanks and one centerline tank for each and every aircraft in the squadron, as it's very rare or even downright impossible that every single jet will be in the air at the same time. So you can imagine that if you drop them in every mission they will run out very quickly.

Wow, that's surprising re the real world part. I'd think every ship would have a set of tanks:

1. If the squadron has to deploy at the drop of a hat, presumably every bird needs a set of tanks for ferry configuration.

2. Even if all aircraft aren't airborne all the time, you'd want to prep the aircraft on the ground so they can be ready to launch.

This would make more sense for the Navy, where tank storage is presumably at more of a premium, but I'd think the USAF would aim for a set of tanks for the whole squadron.

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 11/20/15 01:35 AM

To be clear, I'm not talking about the USAF and I'm not even saying I know of a specific airforce that does this. I'm saying I don't consider it improbable. I know that most squadrons of 24 aircraft for example won't have 24 Sniper or HTS or whatever pods. It might be the same for tanks, it might not. An airforce in a country with serious economic concerns might not be able to justify a tank 'set' for each aircraft, or perhaps justify replacing old/destroyed tanks, esp if they don't deploy often or ever. Of course you can say that those are all moot points since we're USAF in the sim, and you'd be right I guess! In any case, if you want to take anything away from this, my main point is that you can run out of fuel tanks in BMS.
Posted By: MigBuster

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 11/20/15 11:42 AM

I suppose realistically you might have to wait a few days for more tanks to be sent over in some cases.

If an emergency happens ditch the tanks always........the jet and pilot is infinitely more expensive then drop tanks.....and it's not the end of the world without them.
Posted By: Manu

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 01/04/17 08:39 AM

Hey sorry to dig up this old thread, but i got two questions regarding dropping the tank(s).

1. concerns real world procedure. You guys wrote you'd only drop them in an emergency situation. How do you define such a situation? Does fighting other fighters, or avoiding anti-air already count as such?

2. How do i know the drop tanks are empty? Is there some indicator, or do i have to know the internal fuel tank mass (7000lbs?) ? Internal fuel is the last fuel to be used in any possible situation, right?

Thanks for your answers..absolute Falcon beginner here
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 01/04/17 09:42 AM

1. Different depending on SOPs AFAIK. Dropping to engage WVR fights, yes. I'd probably also drop when fired upon even if BVR. Sometimes dropping before rolling into targets as well. Avoiding AAA, well, you don't really need to maneuver much if you're just avoiding flak from 30,000 feet. If you have to drop tanks because you're defensive AAA down low, well, you did something wrong.

2. IIRC, internal fuel is 7200 lbs so if your fuel level is at this level or below, then your wing tanks are empty. To double check, use the knob on the FUEL QTY SEL panel on the bottom of the center console. Check out page 45 of the TO-BMS1F-16CM-1 on your \Docs\Falcon BMS Manuals folder.

Hope that helps and welcome to Falcon BMS!

EDIT:
page 113 of the "Dash 1" manual (the one I pointed to above) states:
Quote:
The F-16 block 50 and block 52 in BMS are able to carry 7162 lbs of JP5/8 fuel internally.

Dual-seat and other F-16 variants will have different internal fuel capacities, obviously... biggrin
Posted By: Schwalbe

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 01/04/17 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Manu

1. concerns real world procedure. You guys wrote you'd only drop them in an emergency situation. How do you define such a situation? Does fighting other fighters, or avoiding anti-air already count as such?

as Ice notes SOP, in practical terms for flight simmers: say you're in online multiplayer flight - flight leads says dump them, like "Combat Jett" etc. - you dump them, otherwise you keep them. Scenarios that require your own discretion, if you are defensive, merged, taken battle damage, system failure, about to run on fumes, or other emergencies you can jett them yourself, and the flight lead definitely won't give you grief ;p so more down to personal preference of you and your flight members more than anything else.

fuel quantity: fuel transfer rates from external wing bags are limited and not sufficient for prolonged AB use so there are times when your total fuel gauge reads <7200lbs but there are actually still some left in them bags. to be absolutely sure after running gate for a long time just toggle the fuel quantity selector (exact name?) and have it show ext fuel quantity. If ya want those fuel just retard back to buster and have them gradually pumped into the internal tanks. But hey, that takes your hands off HOTAS plus precious time, so if defending adder or archer who gives a f*ck about switchology ya know just jett! <- tis bit my own preference, ofc:D
Posted By: theOden

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 01/04/17 02:52 PM

I usually put the fuelindicator on external tanks during ramp and when empty I pop them off rarely having to think of their being or not when things go hot.
Unlike real life these costs nothing and I haven't noticed any shortage of them either.

I don't think I've ever dropped them during BVR since that's mostly a vector fight.

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 01/04/17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: theOden
I usually put the fuelindicator on external tanks during ramp and when empty I pop them off rarely having to think of their being or not when things go hot.

Some vital fuel system functionalities are only there when you put it on NORM like Bingo fuel warnings and internal fuel balance etc. otherwise tis flight safety hazard. should be there in the manual..

I thought about just leaving it on Ext Wing as well when learning these things but nope.

then again that is if u care 'bout these. purely personally i indeed agree that it's all virtual 1s and 0s on a desktop PC, hee:D

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 01/04/17 06:56 PM

It's a sim so if you want to dump them with the tanks still half-full, go right ahead. If you want to mimic RL procedures, then you will want to bring them home if you can. There was one guy who mentioned that he and his mates would drop tanks because of drag factor, a reasoning which was quickly shot down (ha! get it?) by other forum members with a little more knowledge.

Also with the release of 4.33.2 and 4.33.3, it seems that certain configurations are CAT I even if they include wing tanks, so I guess that means you can keep the tanks on even on a dogfight or doing hard maneuvers? Not really sure about this part as I've not tackled that part of the manual yet....

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 01/04/17 08:15 PM

"RL". sigh. i think beer cans are better. It can be traded for more beers when i sit in front of me PC and have fun.

this was... 2006 now
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1771534/Re:_OT:_RL_F-16_with_6_AGM-65'#Post1771534

Originally Posted By: Colt40Five
The "simulated" stabs be damned! My "simulated" logistics and maintenance staff will have a new one on before the next "simulated" mission. smile

Here's my impression of what the "uber realism" crowd deserve in a sim (we'll assume Balkans Camp):

Day 1
First, no time compression. You have to spend an hour in a briefing screen, where you are given all your ident, target intel, tanker, nav, radio, codewords and ROE (let's say a searching alt of 10,000 and an attack alt of 15,000. Only green miltary vehicles may be targeted and if there is a structure within 1000m of yout target you must call for clearance to attack..if you violate this during the mission you can't fly for 2 days in the campaign).

Next you spend 20 mins in a maintenance screen where you look over the logs on your jet and do a "simulated" preflight.

Finally you get into the jet to ramp start. After 30 mins you are scrubbed for weather and told to stand down for the day. You have to leave the sim running until 24 hours has passed. total time elapsed for no flying time: 1h 50m.

Day 2

Repeat all of the above. Take-off. 45 mins to tanker. 20 mins at tanker. 45 mins to target area....nothing there. an AFAC directs you to a lone APC in a revetment on the side of a hill, but by the time you get there weather has socked it in, and you're low on gas. 45 mins back to tanker. 20 mins at tanker. 45 mins back to target area. You see a red vehicle drive into a town and set it on fire and leave. due to your ROE's (which state only green military vehicles can be hit) you call for target approval. After 30 mins ABCCC calls denying permission to attack. 45 mins back to tanker. 20 mins at tanker. 45mins back to home base. Total elapsed time for no ordinance dropped: 8hr 45m.

Day 3

you look at a CSAR alert screen for 12 hours...no calls.

Sound fun?? No, it sounds like work. Like a job that only a highly trained and motivated person would or could do. I don't know about you but I fly falcon for fun in the time I have for such pursuits. I like the feeling that I am learning and employing real-world systems and tactics, but in the end I know it's a far cry from what it actually takes to leave my family and friends for months and strap on the jet everyday and get shot at.

So while you decry that some of us want what YOU consider an unrealistic mav loadout. Ask yourself where is your "reality" threshold?

ya know, nowadays this isn't really that far off from what the "uber realism" crowd calls for. but if you can sit 12 hours in front of your gaming box.. i say get a job first, like maybe apply for the real air force, and stop living off of government pension so you can play video games.
^ right, this doesn't mean for any person in particular ofc, but sometimes it gets ridiculous when every 1 in 3 statements says "in RL". in RL, it is a bloody video game, that's the hardcore down to earth as real as it gets.

Re: Emergency Jettison? - 01/05/17 08:16 AM

Hehehe.... don't hate on the reference to RL. We are playing "pretend fighter pilot" and that includes terminology and radio comms, overhead breaks, formation flying, etc.... and hopefully include "wing tank discipline" biggrin

Sure, you can play as you want and "waste" airframes knowing your next "refresh" or resupply is just around the corner. Or you can play a little more realistic and try to bring an injured airframe back home. Some people can't be bothered and eject as soon as their aircraft is hit, some people see the new situation as a challenge to employ less-used skills and start accessing less-used backup systems.

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/05/17 01:05 PM

Well I thought beer bottles are very RL since if i bring 'em back, I can trade them for more beers, but if they are dumped to the trash, that's value lost.

Not dumping batteries is also realistic. If dumped without care, they are an environmental hazard. So is not dumping in-decomposable plastic bags realistic. They are still being used and cause all kinds of trouble for animals. Reminds me. right. A few years ago, thousands of dead pigs were dumped into the Yangtze river, which floated down stream and surfaced near Shanghai. Again, huge environmental hazard. I think the reporting on sina Weibo is one of the factors that lead to massive censorship on the micro-blogging platform too. Since ya know this here is also an internet forum and free expression is important.

Anyway, the next time I did dump, or withheld from dumping, fuel tanks from a F-16, so that taxpayer money is saved either in the form of brought back fuel tank, or avoiding potential aircraft loss due to degraded maneuverability from external stores, I will let you know. It hasn't happened yet, therefore so far I really can't say it's realistic or not. If you're a real Viper pilot and says it is or it is not, well above all f*ck you for getting my dream job. But hey, nowadayz I have my own job, which I do have to do. More importantly, I don't see the point of boasting about it on the forums telling everyone how l33t I am on pretending to do yours, or how the other guy's is to be looked down upon since he's not all that l33t. You know, since we are all pretending, does it matter?

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/05/17 06:18 PM

You lost me on the beer bottles and batteries bit.

As for dumping the fuel tanks, like I said, it depends. Bring back the aircraft but lose the tanks? Then dump 'em. Got a blip on your radar and a bogey call 40 miles out? They stay on. As Boomer stated:
Quote:
Real World bring em home unless tactical requirements to drop, they cost $$ afterall

Bottom line: It's a sim and you can play the way you want to. The recent poster asked about "real world procedure" and that's why we're talking about RL.

You can say:
"Hey buddy, I have a dot on my radar 30 miles out to our left, about 30-40 degrees to our left. He's a bit high... let me see, about 5K higher than us. It looks like he's heading towards us... might be one guy but I can't be sure."

Or you can say:
"Lead, 2 has contact bullseys 045, 70 miles, 30 thousand, hot."

Since we're all pretending, which one sounds like a better pretend pilot? Personally, I'd go for the 2nd one. It all depends on how much you want to pretend... and yeah, I know there are some out there that fly with a flight suit and gloves and helmet on! biggrin I wonder if they do piddle packs as well? While we may not fly "full real" as Colt40Five states above, I'm sure we try to fit in as much as we can with the free time that we have.
Posted By: Genbrien

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/06/17 10:42 PM

A bit offtopic but concernic the emergency jett button

What is the material that covers the button?

When you press it it seems to be like you broke some glass. I guess it's not glass because it would be diffucult with 1 finger...?

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/07/17 03:49 PM

Interesting. I thought it was just a button, and the "safety feature" was that you just needed to hold the button in; ie, no accidental ordnance drops due to an accidental momentary button press. Plus I think the button itself is flush with the panel so you can't "brush" against it and accidentally press it.

I don't think there's "glass" that you'd have to "break" to press it. Not a good idea inside a fighter aircraft's cockpit, especially for the pilot's fingers or eyes! Where did you get that "breaking glass" sound?

Some pictures courtesy of xflight.de:

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/07/17 07:52 PM

no sound is heard
and on the 1st/2nd and 4th pics you posted you can clearly see that something is covering the button
Maybe some kind of plastic film?

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/07/17 08:12 PM

Interesting! I've never looked at that button after pressing it... so weird that I realize that only now. I do hope it's only a plastic film like clingfilm or something like that, just a little barrier. Like I said, I don't think "breaking" a solid plastic/glass protector is a good idea in a fighter cockpit, but a cellophane-type material should be okay. Maybe a question for the real Viper drivers!

EDIT: Posted a query on the official forums!

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/10/17 10:43 PM

thx for getting banned to know the answer lol neaner

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/10/17 11:18 PM

Haha!! Glad to have helped! Apparently, one of the mods there didn't like being "disobeyed." mycomputer

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/11/17 01:01 PM

I dunno if it's better or worse than the DCS foras. But since the users are not customers but essentially freeloaders of others' work, they have no right to have free discussions to begin with, if the discussion doesn't please the ppl who do the work and their friends.
That there is the BMS forum.

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/11/17 08:11 PM

Well, the discussion had absolutely nothing to do with mods or their friends until they chose to step in. Even the guy I was "arguing" with thought that the thread was fine and didn't need mod intervention.

Still better than the DCS forums though! biggrin
Posted By: Phoenix54C

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/12/17 01:43 PM

Huh

But not MUCH better from the looks of things... burnout

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/12/17 02:52 PM

What do you mean?

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/12/17 03:15 PM

Well

Years ago i was banned from DCS forums for simply asking wether or not they planned to ever make a campaign engine for their software.

I used FALCON 4.0 as a reference to what i was aking and was INSTA BANNED duh

Sadly i see this same stinking attitude still lurks in BMS forums today... cheers

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/12/17 04:23 PM

I'm not surprised re: DCS forums, but I'm not sure what you mean regarding BMS forums....

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/12/17 05:14 PM

What i mean is simply this...

BOTH DCS and BMS are a bunch of Tossers. biggrin

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/12/17 06:02 PM

I kinda got that feeling, what I wanted to know was why you felt that way regarding BMS forums

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/12/17 06:43 PM

Too many CHIEFS and not enuff INDIANS...

Lets just say i had a couple of little fallouts with a few of their devs years ago.

Zaggy is sound though,At least he can work out his diff"s without backstabbing.

Bah all water under the bridge now anyway. popcorn
Posted By: Force10

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/12/17 06:56 PM

Yikes...

I didn't realize they were so heavy handed over there. The thread started to get a little sticky but was rounding out fine towards the end. I'm not sure that thread would have incurred bans at the DCS forum...locked maybe...but bans?

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/12/17 07:44 PM

I see what you mean. Maybe that's changed now?

Force10, yeah, their mods can be a bit funny... I was banned before for replying on an open thread, but I was replying to a banned user. Can't remember the justification for that.
Posted By: ricnunes

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Well, the discussion had absolutely nothing to do with mods or their friends until they chose to step in. Even the guy I was "arguing" with thought that the thread was fine and didn't need mod intervention.

Still better than the DCS forums though! biggrin

Jezz, I don't know!

I think we finally have a winner on the "most ridiculously moderated forum" -> BMS!
IMO this is worse than everything I seen so far in DCS moderation and I've seen some very ridiculous "scenes of moderation" in the DCS forum.

Let's resume: the discussion between Ice and Blu3wolf (in the BMS forum) got a little bit heated (but only a little bit) but without any disrespect.
Then, both (Ice and Blu3wolf) admitted that their discussion was becoming a bit heated and apologised each other and the end result was: THEY WERE BANNED! LoL how's that for a ridiculously moderated forum??

Congrats to the BMS forum moderation - They managed to become more ridiculous than the DCS moderation, a feat that I considered to be IMPOSSIBLE! eek
Posted By: theOden

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 12:11 PM

Well aware BMS mods are very very sensitive but this lock'n'ban is an all-time-low to be honest.
Really can't put my finger on the initial "take it to PM boys" to begin with.

Forums are getting more weird every day - maybe I am getting way too old.

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 02:32 PM

/rant

It is not that hard to understand if you think about it. Y'all are guests at the charity of the bms group - remember one pays *nothing* to get the game mod. The forum hosting and maintenance bills also come outta their own pockets. And note that they don't take donations from the public, nor allow payware addons. So behave, smile, say thank you and sing praise, get along with everybody, respect the host's authority, better yet put the host on a pedestal. If you wanna fight and make a mess in my house, then gtfo.. I think that's the gist.

So when it comes down to it, one can say it is 100% justified. It is not a forum for open debates. It is not your traditional, consumer facing, product support/discussion forum where you can talk about even some politics. There is no such supplier-customer, capitalistic, relationship. If you like my stuff then i'll take your thank-yous; if you have a problem with it, you will still like it; if you don't like it, i don't wanna bloody hear it; if you say it, gtfo.

I don't like it one bit. As much as I like modding, this part definitely not. You can't just expect everybody to be "mates" with you and everybody else much less on the internet, even less on an internet forum which is intrinsically negative. It seems to be a common problem with free modding groups where open debates are usually stymied and average users can be justifiably.. trolled. I believe open discussions and criticism although ugly at times are necessary. It is after all healthy to have things out in the open.

But for one that have been accustomed to consumer rights and all that, better adjust as you no longer are one, if wanna continue to be involved with the community. As the saying goes sometimes the most expensive things are free.

/rant

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 04:22 PM

Hmmm... was Blu3wolf banned as well? I was hoping it was just me.

However, their "banning" process isn't the same as DCS. It's more of a "time out" really, like you're getting on the nerves of the moderators and they've had enough of you for now so they're giving you some "alone time." Whether this is justified or not is a different matter. Like I said, me and Blu3wolf thought there was no need for the mods to step in and I even tried to continue the discussion on a more productive route but I guess the mods wanted the thread dead regardless of whether there was still a discussion-worthy question. Has the thread been locked?

Schwalbe did hit the nail on the head on his post. If we can use the reason "it's their forum and their rules" for DCS, I can't see why we can't use the same for BMS. Even more important, as he mentioned, the people who are members of the BMS forum are not really "customers" but rather mod-users. The BMS devs do their own work, maintain the forum, pay the bills, etc. so I can totally see the "behave yourself or else" justification. I will say that it is a forum that is open for debates, just make sure you "behave" yourself once a mod steps in biggrin They even have a DCS thread that got heated, people got banned for a while, thread got locked, but then after a while the thread was re-opened but because of that action, nobody very much bothers to debate in that thread. Not worth getting banned on a BMS forum for discussing DCS.

Totally no like ED forums where people have to tread on eggshells and there's the tongue-in-cheek-but-all-too-true "please don't ban me" statements. You don't see these on BMS forums.

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 04:40 PM

Hey Ice

When they let u back in can u tell them that Phoenix said their AA-12 is completely NERFED\BROKEN.

Seems to beat it all u need 2 do is fly straight at it and pull a hard 3 or 9 and she zooms right past the pit.

IRL if the pilot was to see the missile that close he would already be toast.

Wud tell em myself but dont think it wud go down too well skyisfalling

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 04:55 PM

I'd be happy to, but I can't really start a conversation that I don't know about. Plus there are a lot of broken things with BMS anyway. My biggest hate is the enemy AI. I try to orchestrate dogfights and going up against the best Ace AI, for the first two fights it comes at me and then the next few fights it just makes a lazy circle in the air and ignores me... smile

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 05:09 PM

Know what u mean.

Thx anyway mate... tomcat

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 07:13 PM

iirc he was basically persona non grata to the group looks like still is..

comparing to the ed forum... i can only say sorry to you dcs scrubs.

yet while it might be effective to use bms as a means to bash dcs, free community modding has its own problems.

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Schwalbe
comparing to the ed forum... i can only say sorry to you dcs scrubs.

Haha... I think you're mistaking me for a DCS fan... well, I was, but not currently. It's easy enough to see why

yet while it might be effective to use bms as a means to bash dcs, free community modding has its own problems.

It is effective and easy to use BMS and it's not even "bashing." Just saying things as it is. While a "free modding community" may have it's own set of challenges, as far as I can see, they're still taking those other devs for a ride and showing them how it's done! smile

Now if only I can blackmail someone to make BMS VR-compatible... ready

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 08:31 PM

^Try befriend, ass-kiss and, bribe. I knew *RL* examples that it works.

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/14/17 08:36 PM

Too far away to befriend (personally), not good at ass-kissing plus difficult over written medium, and BMS devs don't take bribes. Therefore, blackmail is the only option behindcouch

I know RL situations where that works too! biggrin

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/15/17 05:15 AM

@ ice

still

It aint right to ban any1 the way they banned you,moderaters dont matter,its bms forums and they BMS run those forums...

just saying.

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/15/17 01:38 PM

Too far away to befriend (personally), not good at ass-kissing plus difficult over written medium, and BMS devs don't take bribes. Therefore, blackmail is the only option behindcouch

I know RL situations where that works too! biggrin

I meant i know rL situation where bms dev does take bribe. They just dont tell you and says they dont thats all.

Oh bribery is an art. In a non-captalistic system, this is done exquisitely o.O

For a start, "take it to PMs". biggrin

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/15/17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Phoenix54C
@ ice

still

It aint right to ban any1 the way they banned you,moderaters dont matter,its bms forums and they BMS run those forums...

just saying.

Thanks for that, Phoenix. I do agree with you and was actually surprised that they decided to ban me for that, but nevermind.

I meant i know rL situation where bms dev does take bribe. They just dont tell you and says they dont thats all.

Oh bribery is an art. In a non-captalistic system, this is done exquisitely o.O

For a start, "take it to PMs". biggrin

Really?
Posted By: ricnunes

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/15/17 04:49 PM

Hmmm... was Blu3wolf banned as well? I was hoping it was just me.

However, their "banning" process isn't the same as DCS. It's more of a "time out" really, like you're getting on the nerves of the moderators and they've had enough of you for now so they're giving you some "alone time." Whether this is justified or not is a different matter. Like I said, me and Blu3wolf thought there was no need for the mods to step in and I even tried to continue the discussion on a more productive route but I guess the mods wanted the thread dead regardless of whether there was still a discussion-worthy question. Has the thread been locked?

Schwalbe did hit the nail on the head on his post. If we can use the reason "it's their forum and their rules" for DCS, I can't see why we can't use the same for BMS. Even more important, as he mentioned, the people who are members of the BMS forum are not really "customers" but rather mod-users. The BMS devs do their own work, maintain the forum, pay the bills, etc. so I can totally see the "behave yourself or else" justification. I will say that it is a forum that is open for debates, just make sure you "behave" yourself once a mod steps in biggrin They even have a DCS thread that got heated, people got banned for a while, thread got locked, but then after a while the thread was re-opened but because of that action, nobody very much bothers to debate in that thread. Not worth getting banned on a BMS forum for discussing DCS.

Totally no like ED forums where people have to tread on eggshells and there's the tongue-in-cheek-but-all-too-true "please don't ban me" statements. You don't see these on BMS forums.

There's absolutely no excuse for you and Blu3wolf being banned like that! It doesn't matter if BMS is free or not that doesn't justify a ban. Heck, even if BMS PAID all and every player to play Falcon BMS (instead of being free) it simply wouldn't justify the moderators at the BMS forum to be total and complete pricks/idiots (judging from your ban).

Those who "know me" from here at SimHQ knows that I'm an "avid" critic of ED/DCS and yes I find pathetic how the DCS forums are moderated but despite this at least they (at the DCS forums) are consistent:
They apply censorship at their forums where you can't post any negative stuff about DCS either in their forum or in any other forum (like here at SimHQ). Perhaps this follows the trend of the history of ED/DCS home country, Russia? You can disagree with this and personally I certainly DISAGREE with this but at least you'll know why you can be banned at the DCS forums.

But about the BMS forums?? It seems like if a moderator wakes up with the wrong feet you can get banned with no particular or reasonable reason at all! (like happened to you - Ice - and Blu3wolf).
You IMO, this is even worse than DCS and again it doesn't matter if you're paying or not for the game - Being reasonable and polite are two essential conditions among every human being, specially among the ones that are in "charge of something", like moderators of a forum.

Deep inside I always knew there was a reason why I rarely or almost never post at the BMS forums (despite having an account there). I guess this it!

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/18/17 02:43 AM

Yeah

IMHO it drives peeps AWAY from the simulation.

Makes a DAM SHOW of all falconeers and really shows us why the whole flight sim genre has gone so quiet.

10 years after FF6\AF and look where it all ended up.

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/18/17 02:22 PM

Well, apparently, there was enough "reason" to justify the ban. Whether that reason is sufficient, I guess, is subjective. Like I said, I was banned before... for replying to a post made by a banned member dizzy I do know there's quite a bit of politics going on behind the scenes but I don't know much about it and I really don't want to or care to get involved.

Was it right that I got banned? Personally, I may be biased here, but I don't think so. Does it matter? Not really. I got banned anyway. However, to compare some weird rule with how the DCS forums are ran is unfair. Sure, you know exactly what can get you banned over there, but I'll take "getting out at the wrong side of the bed" over pain censorship and sterility and "pls don't ban me!" And then compare the end-product... DCS vs. BMS. Compare the devs. I will say that this event did put the BMS mods in a bad light, but still nowhere near DCS-level of incompetence.

Thanks for the support though! I appreciate it! biggrin

Re: Emergency Jettison vs Ext. Fuel Tanks Jettison? - 01/20/17 07:59 PM

^it's not only about you as we've had similar experiences and for me 'twas what prompt me to think about the reasons behind all of it.
but as a newbie these things doesn't matter really, the forum is more of an information pool and mods repository - unless ofc one's not really about flying but just a "forum pilot" that simply posts a lot - we've seen those. it is when one gets quite proficient with the game and/or moves higher in the community hierarchy and that starts to demand more freedom on these matters. for example i was quite closely involved with a modder who simply refuses to join the group as he considers there's just too much politics - at the time i didn't quite understand but now i start to see some of his reasons.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums