homepage

Where did Frugals go??

Posted By: SlapStik

Where did Frugals go?? - 09/19/09 08:04 PM

I tried the site yesterday and no joy! Today has the same results anyone hear anything?
Posted By: Aeyes

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/19/09 08:07 PM

Most probably the server that needs a reset. If that becomes impossible from a distance it depends on who pushes the button when.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/20/09 12:45 AM

I figured so much but with as quiet as the traffic has been lately I thought I"d ask.
Posted By: Teej

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/22/09 06:06 PM

It was up briefly (a few hours) Monday morning.

I had been afraid when it went dark last week that it was more than mere coincidence that it went down hard on its 10th anniversary.

Fortunately, it seems like coincidence is all it is.
Posted By: Stuntie

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/24/09 07:14 PM

Still down.
Hope it's not a hack job, or Frugal's host going bust.
Posted By: Panther

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/25/09 03:04 AM

I believe this is the longest it has been down. Must be several Frugalets going insane by now.
Posted By: Smoke1

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/25/09 08:16 PM

Still Down. The world feels unbalanced.

Smoke
Posted By: Budds

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/25/09 09:54 PM

Kinda compels ya to dig into yur wallet and make a donation to support when it comes back online... does for me anywyas...........

And what about this tired ol' place ? wink
Probably need to drop a dime or two here as well !
Seems important to have such places when one by one they disappear, dont'cha think ?

Or maybe thats just me................

smile
Posted By: Smoke1

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/26/09 12:24 AM

It is important and it's not just you. Some of us need to be reminded though.

Thanks
Smoke

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/26/09 02:27 AM

Aint like I'm some philanthropic do-gooder or anything......

Hell I'm a Jewish New Yorker when it comes to gettin off some coin ! smile
But I gotta say, I've seen some fine Sites lost over the years.... some were loaded with Great Knowledge of Falcon posting regular in post boards... offering downloads of the patches and such...
In all, Great contributions to the Community !

I am MORE than guilty of taking these places for granted, and browse them at least once daily....
Finding the latest break-thru, or mod.... Scuttle-Butt... occasional good natured ribbing of someone, or the descent joke.... news of the day, ect....

Damned if I wouldnt REALLY Miss Frug's, and Here as well !
Time to Belly-Up to the Bar, and tip the host I feel.... for me anyways....

Just Sayin"...............
8)
Posted By: Bono

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/26/09 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: *Panther*
I believe this is the longest it has been down. Must be several Frugalets going insane by now.

More than several I can easily presume. WinkNGrin

Damn...
Posted By: Wigean

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/27/09 09:16 AM

I sent him a message and he writes that he is upgrading the server. He is also moving the server to a new location. Expects it to be up in a few days.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/27/09 05:56 PM

Good news for sure!
Posted By: Goblin

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/03/09 03:11 PM

Does anybody have a local copy of the instructions with pics of the speedbrake/dogfight switch cougar mod. I did the throttle mod last weekend without instructions and a little help from Ian -- and thankfully there were a few sites with pictures of the mod. But I can't find any instructions for the switch mod and I seem to recall needing a specific alignment, but I don't know what that is. With Frugal's being down, I'm getting impatient.

Thanks!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/04/09 02:32 PM

It's baaaaaaack
Posted By: wolfstone

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/04/09 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Teej
It's baaaaaaack

Its gone again

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/04/09 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: wolfstone
It's baaaaaaack

Its gone again

Back but ssssssssssslllllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww.
Posted By: HomeFries

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/05/09 10:45 PM

down again.
Posted By: NamelessPFG

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/07/09 09:33 PM

When will it become reliable already?

Still, I suppose it's good for SimHQ because that means that I actually hang out here now.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/14/09 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: NamelessPFG
When will it become reliable already?

Still, I suppose it's good for SimHQ because that means that I actually hang out here now.

Me2! smile

Frugals will come back,wont it?
Posted By: Eugene

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/14/09 08:11 PM

Surprised Mark doesn't post an update here. Would be a good way to get some information out directly.
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/14/09 10:46 PM

Has anyone tried contacting him directly?

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/15/09 04:01 AM

I am sure many are in direct contact with him on this matter.
Unfortunately, it seems they want to keep the communication private.

Whatever case it may be, all we can do at the moment is just waiting, isn't it?
Posted By: Wigean

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/15/09 10:09 AM

I got a message from him about a week ago:

Original server was only up temporarily to access the files. Having some complications moving to the new server because the size of the database. Slim chance we may need to restore forums from quite an old backup as current and recent ones are throwing up errors. Worst case scenario we will lose about 2 years of forum posts and registrations.
Frug

Let`s hope he manage to do a full recovery of the server in the new location.
Frugal is a very busy person these days, so we need to be patient. smile
Posted By: .Wombat.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/16/09 06:54 AM

LOL I didn't think I went to Frugals that much, but now it feels like something's broke on this ol' pooter since it went down.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/16/09 07:28 PM

Dang! 2 years of knowledge down the drain.

What will become of those OF vs FF vs AF posts?

popcorn

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/16/09 10:44 PM

All an elaborate ruse to steal my Frubles..... just like last time we had a "Conversion" # FW !!!!!
frown
wink

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/16/09 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Budds
All an elaborate ruse to steal my Frubles..... just like last time we had a "Conversion" # FW !!!!!

Yeah, and come to think of it, my reputation skyrocketed just prior to this new "conversion"
pitchafit

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/17/09 02:18 AM

Easy come easy go, mate biggrin

Damn..what a loss it all will be really... old_simmer
Posted By: Caper

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/17/09 02:27 AM

who cares about the AF posts. What will happen to the thong thread?

Can you say "Thong" at SimHQ?

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/17/09 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Caper
who care about the AF posts. What will happen to the thong thread?

Can you say "Thong" at SimHQ?

Not to worry mate.
Refurbishing that thread is an easy part. In no time, better than ever. shower
Posted By: .Wombat.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/17/09 05:32 AM

hehe.........if you build it, they will come............
Posted By: Schwalbe

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/21/09 11:17 AM

+1
Something's really missing. rolleyes
Posted By: Reschke

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/21/09 03:37 PM

Wow if they lost 2 years of registrations and posts there is a TON of information on there for us Cougar owners that would just go POOF!

Then somethong would really be wrong.

As for the thong thread as someone else said...easily fixed in just a few short posts.
Posted By: Boomer

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/24/09 11:28 PM

The thong thread was mine and shall remain closed until I am allowed to rejoin that board.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/25/09 04:47 AM

Damnit Mower bout time you showed up.
Posted By: Nutty

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/25/09 11:43 AM

We're currently rehosting Cougar World at http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/ although I still need to fix some links, and we don't have all the user files as they were saved on a different server ;(

It's the information in the forums that I want to grab though ...

Nutty

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/25/09 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman
Damnit Mower bout time you showed up.

I'm always around by one name or another.

At this point, I would be lying if I said that Frug's board's demise made me entirely unhappy.

The only critical aspect of it is the Cougar resources as James said he is trying to salvage.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/25/09 07:25 PM

Is Frugals down for the count, James?

Thank you for rehosting Cougarworld--it is a relief to see it again! Any luck with getting the forums? They are the heart and soul of it all.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/25/09 10:52 PM

No I'm hoping that Mark will get in touch with either myself or Olivier, but so far we've heard nothing. Not much else we can do at this stage I'm afraid frown

Cheers

James

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/26/09 09:29 AM

On another note anyone searching for Vista drivers for the Cougar, they are here:

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=3&pid=50&cid=1

I'll update CW this week with these.

Cheers

Nutty
Posted By: Frugal

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/26/09 09:53 PM

Ok guys here is an update.

The server was moved and it seems the machine it was moved onto was simply not up to the job. I now need to upgrade to a new server which is going to cost an extra 50 bucks a month. However the time it is going to take to rebuild the server is the main issue. On the good news front as far as I can tell the forum backup is intact and so we should not lose any forum posts, at worst we will lose 24 hours worth.

For those that don't know I am a single parent to my 3 children these days. I also work full time. This means that the web site, although very dear to my heart, is quite low priority. It does not help that as the server went down my ex decided that she wants to try to get the house. Fortunately the kids told her outright that they don't want to live with her, they want to stay with me. This has meant that she has dropped the idea of getting custody (for now). As you can imagine it's been a very tough few weeks, actually it's been a very tough year.

My main focus in the very short term is spending this weeks school holiday with my kids at our caravan in Clacton. My next focus is going to be trying to secure my house for my kids future. My ex is willing to sign it over to me now so that she can get a place off the council but that is going to be costly and pointless if she can still take the house (or rather force me to sell it) as part of the divorce settlement.

In the background I will be trying to get the site back online particularly for the hosted sites like Cougar World and eBattalion, the latter of which I am very concious of how important it is to the people that use it while their loved ones are deployed.

FW has had a good run over the last 10 years and I don't intend it to end here, but it is going to be a bumpy road for a while.

Frugal

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/26/09 10:45 PM

Frugal, I have a One and One Dual-Core XL Server ... it should be more than enough to host FW and its content. Give me a shout if you need a hand mate.

Nutty

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/26/09 10:58 PM

James, what kind of BW does it have? It's also worth pointing out that FW was able to bring dual xeon server with 2 gigs of ram to its knees. Site is also currently around 80 gigs in size.

Frugal

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/26/09 11:25 PM

Just had a look at 1 and 1, good servers for the money. If they offered cpanel instead of plesk and had more than 1 IP address it would be worth switching. Be a pig to move to a plesk server, moving to a cpanel server will be far easier (but still a pig).

Frugal

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 12:14 AM

Bandwidth is 100Mbit/sec and unlimited traffic bud wink

Hardware is Opteron 1218 HE, 2 x 2.6 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 2 x 400 GB HD (RAID 1 Software)

Windows 2008 Server with Plesk 9. But yes, only one IP address.

Well if it's somewhere to throw the forums onto, or whatever, give me a shout.

Cheers

James

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 12:24 AM

Definately no good if it's a windows server, moving from cpanel to plesk would be a nightmare but moving from unix to a windows server would be far too much work in my current situation. But I really do appreciate the offer.

Frugal

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 12:39 AM

No worries bud. wink Good luck with everything!

Cheers

James

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 02:38 AM

Mark, with everything you have to deal with that is of so much consequence for those dear to you, it's amazing that you can even think about options for FW. And work full time as well. Good luck - you know thousands of simmers are rooting for you and yours.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 02:59 AM

Pity that all the works has to be done by Mark himself alone.

Like the Cougar thing, perhaps we need a temporary forum space as a contingency task force HQ or whatever for the Frugalites who are willing to offer some helping hands or make suggestions?

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 06:00 AM

Sorry to hear about all that has been happening in your life Mark. frown I hope it all works out for the best in the end.

I, along with thousands of others (I'm sure), really appreciate all that you have done for all of us over the years so selflessly. Frugals has done wonders for the Flight Sim community. We know it'll be back sometime when you have time, no worries about hurrying. It seems you have quite a lot right now on your plate.

Thanks for the update. smile
Posted By: DBond

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 01:34 PM

I echo Blastman, hang in there Mark, hope everything works out for you.
Posted By: BeachAV8R

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 03:28 PM

Best of luck Mark. Here's hoping that the life matters sort out for the better for all involved.. The web-site can always be worked on at a later date..and you have a loyal following, so I wouldn't be worried about the members being patient.

Regards..
BeachAV8R

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 03:44 PM

Mark,

I can only imagine the pressure on you right now. I respect and agree with your priorities. Take your time, and I hope everything works out for you and the kids.
Posted By: Pepperoni

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 06:21 PM

I'm definitely gonna try to donate when Frugal gets it back up, and I'll be sure to click on all the ads lol
Posted By: WalterNowi

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 06:31 PM

Hang in there, Mark!
Posted By: MigBuster

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/27/09 09:03 PM

Thanks for the update Mr Frugal - I really hope it all works out for you - and glad to see you have your priorities in order!
Posted By: Multiviper

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/28/09 03:57 PM

Mark, I wish there was some way I could help you, Maybe a place to send Donations to, maybe this would help with server cost or any cost you maybe experiencing. Let us know if you have some place to send them to maybe a paypal account...

hang in there wink

Posted By: 20mm

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/03/09 03:11 PM

Mark, all the best, in you personal life and with FW. You're absolutely right about priorities. Do what you need to do and of course we hope that FW gets back ASAP.

Here's to ten more years at FW!
Posted By: LawnDartLeo

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/05/09 06:50 PM

If FW never comes back but Mark maintains his Sanity (life is FAR more important than these games we play)... I'm all OK with that.
Posted By: Puma

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/06/09 01:19 PM

Hey Mark,

Sorry to hear the bad news.
Take care of your kids and keep cool.

Puma257 Talons
Posted By: Jacka L Ope

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/08/09 06:33 PM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune as well and miss hanging out at FW as the other regulars do. Hope everything works out. All my best wishes to you and yours...

Jackal

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/10/09 06:05 PM

Man I am so glad that the Cougar World stuff got transferred somewhere so we would not be without that information.

Lastly Mark if there is anything that we can do once you get up and running to make it smoother for you just let us know.

Thanks again for helping out and keeping us informed.

Will
Posted By: GunnerCAF

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/11/09 09:26 PM

Mark,

I just found this thread. I have been there, done that. Take care of the important family things first, it's a long exhausting road but it will get better. I look forward to CW opening again, but will patiently wait.

Hang in there!!

Gunner

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/12/09 01:51 AM

I am really not sure this is proper thing to say here under the circumstances but maybe..just maybe some of us can do a little bit more than just being patient in waiting for good news from him? Maybe Mark doesn't want any help or support..I don't know, I am just thinking.
Posted By: Opener

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/16/09 08:18 PM

Hi Frugal,

Sorry to hear about your current problems. Its been a while since I was a regular never mind multi-daily visitor to the F4 forum (and in the past the current affairs forum) as alas life has left me virtually no time to play games but I occasionally still pop in to see what's happening in the hopes of one day actually having time to load the last couple of versions of OF and FF and it will be strange to think of F4 without being able to see the usual suspects posting. However real life is always more important and hopefully you can sort out your family situation soon and only when thats done worry about if you want to relaunch the site.

Good luck and best wishes,

Opener
Posted By: LawnDartLeo

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/16/09 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Bono
I am really not sure this is proper thing to say here under the circumstances but maybe..just maybe some of us can do a little bit more than just being patient in waiting for good news from him? Maybe Mark doesn't want any help or support..I don't know, I am just thinking.

Even if he neither wants or needs, I am sure he appreciates the offers and well wishes.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/17/09 07:13 PM

Hi Mark thanks for the update , i am sure Frugals will be up when its ready,
looking forward to a beer with ya in the Bar
Posted By: Winter

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/26/09 11:30 AM

Best of luck getting things back up and running Frugal. The site is an amazingly good resource and contribution to our community. :-)
Posted By: Papernose

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/28/09 08:46 AM

Frugal,

I've also been a Falcon4 enthusiast from the very beginning and a FW follower from the very early days. Since I am married and father of 2 kids, my simming is getting less and less due to the lack of time. Missing understanding about my hobby i.e. from my wife is adding to this. Even trying
to join a virtual fighter wings more than once, regulary failed.
Right now, my mother is currently battling cancer,and btw about to loose, I work 50-60 hrs a week,
my older son is having quite some probs in school, and my sister is in the middle of a divorce battle... Simming in these days is farther away than ever.
Meanwhile my X45 is covered with dust, my P8000 still waits to be programmed.
DCS has been installed and deinstalled twice. I havent "flown" in 2 or more years...

But in all this time Frugalsworld was standing solid as a rock. A fortress in falcon world :-)
For 10 years, www.frugalsworld.com is one of the first things I type, when I start my PC.
And it always cheers me up ;-)

With your problems I feel my problems fade in comparison... I perfectly know what "lack of time"
can lead to. And my family is top priority currently. I am even considering to take up simming,
when I finally retire from work (in 200 y ears LOL).

I just want you to know, that I do appreciate so much what you did and do for the falcon community.
Frugalsworld was always a synonym for Falcon4. Without FW Falcon would have never come that far.

But on the other hand we have to see the real life, our family, kids (that grow up so fast,
and need us so much in exactly that time) and realize, that nothing is more important.

Take the time you need. I know exactly, that WE ALL will wait patiently until the time is
right again for Frugalsworld. FW will never decease, it can only take a rest... no matter
how long. And dont forget, disloyalty is by no means an attribute of a real simmer - especially
not of a Falcon4 follower, and DEFINATLY not of a "Frugalsworlder" ;-)

Keep your head up.

Papernose
Posted By: Li'lJugs

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/05/09 04:35 PM

Ah, Frugal, just saw this thread. Just want to say that my prayers are for you and your family. FW has been, at times, a sanity saver for me. If it doesn't come back, you have already saved me a couple of times.

Take care of yourself and your kids, God be with you.
Posted By: Viking1-1

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/15/09 05:21 AM

Like many of the guys, I have been through the grinder you're going through now. I am very sorry for your pain, and I can only say you have my sympathy.

On the subject of FW, what are your bandwidth needs? Seriously.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/16/09 02:04 AM

Things are getting there. My ex has agreed to sign the house over to me. My new mortgage was approved yesterday and the solicitor will have the papers ready for her to sign before Christmas. The new mortgage will also clear the debts my ex ran up and will reduce my monthly outgoings quite considerably. Once my ex has signed the paperwork my kids will have a secure future.

Meanwhile I have met the most wonderful woman who foolishly thinks that I'm a great catch smile. 2010 looks like it is going to be a good year, well it certainly couldn't be any worse than 2009. I have the week off work between Christmas and New Year and plan on getting FW back up and running during that time.

Frugal
Posted By: Unix

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/16/09 04:09 AM

Happy to hear that things are looking up Frugal!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/16/09 04:28 AM

Mark, thanks so much for the update - and really happy for you regarding the turn of events. Wishing you a happier New Year ahead.
Posted By: rhamphor

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/16/09 06:27 AM

Best wishes and good luck.
Frugals back would be a beautiful christmas present!
Posted By: bofman

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/16/09 10:10 PM

Great to hear all the good news Mark. Hope you enjoy your Christmas and your new life. Looking forward to the re-opening of Frugs.
Best wishes from all of us here in Oz

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/17/09 01:19 AM

Mark, glad to hear that your situation has improved. Good luck and wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/17/09 01:35 AM

Awesome news Frugal, now that will be a Merry Christmas!

Good luck!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/17/09 03:15 AM

I somehow believe in karma!
A guy like Frugal that did such a nice thing for so many people will not have a bad life, at all!

May happiness be with you man!
And I'm sure vBeers will be flying all over the place when FW's back!!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/17/09 03:15 PM

Great news, Frug.

I'll be holding by breath until the good stuff you mentioned comes to fruition.

At least except for the "good catch" bit. I think you're pulling our leg on that one!
Posted By: citizen guod

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/17/09 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Frugal
Things are getting there. My ex has agreed to sign the house over to me. My new mortgage was approved yesterday and the solicitor will have the papers ready for her to sign before Christmas. The new mortgage will also clear the debts my ex ran up and will reduce my monthly outgoings quite considerably. Once my ex has signed the paperwork my kids will have a secure future.

Meanwhile I have met the most wonderful woman who foolishly thinks that I'm a great catch smile. 2010 looks like it is going to be a good year, well it certainly couldn't be any worse than 2009. I have the week off work between Christmas and New Year and plan on getting FW back up and running during that time.

Frugal

Very good! thumbsup
Posted By: Smithcorp

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/17/09 10:21 PM

Good new Frugal. Hope it works out well.
Posted By: Gremlin_WoH

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/17/09 10:46 PM

Just stumbled over this thread via Google. Very good news indeed.

I had set up a temporary Cougar forum on my site back in October because people were looking for help with the U2Nxt & HS mod I wrote a review about. If someone is interested until FW comes back again:

Temporary Cougar Forum on Wings of Honor

The review is here: U2Nxt Gimbals and Hall Sensors Review

Cheers

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/18/09 08:11 PM

Good news Mark!

Wish you all the best, Merry Christmas and Happy New Years.
Posted By: semmern

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/19/09 12:42 AM

Good news Mark, good to hear things are starting to get sorted! smile

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/19/09 04:25 PM

Outstanding! I'm happy for you and the kids!! And to find a wonderful lady in the midst of it all is a blessing. Happy holidays, hopefully we'll be hanging out at good ol' Frugs again in no time. I miss it.
Posted By: Macedk

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/19/09 11:39 PM

Good to hear Frugal smile

hope all works out for you smile

Life first forum second wink

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/20/09 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: DBond
Outstanding! I'm happy for you and the kids!! And to find a wonderful lady in the midst of it all is a blessing. Happy holidays, hopefully we'll be hanging out at good ol' Frugs again in no time. I miss it.

Very much indeed. Maybe, life is not that unfair as we sometimes think.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones, Mark.
Posted By: Durrie

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/20/09 07:12 AM

Great news Frugal. Looks like you will have a Merry Christmas
Posted By: Rebel801st

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/21/09 02:42 AM

Hi Mark - Glad to hear you are getting your life back on track and indeed it looks as though 2010 will be a good year for you - I (and all the other Fugalites) certainly hope so.

Although we all miss Frugals World, while it has been down, you have most certainly made the right choice in taking the time to sort out those things that are most important to you.

Merry Xmas from down under
Posted By: Zippo

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/21/09 06:42 AM

I am so glad to hear that things are looking up for you.
Take care,

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/21/09 01:14 PM

Hey Frugal,

Please check PM and get back to me ASAP.

Cheers

James
Posted By: JBuzzman69

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/21/09 08:39 PM

Frugal

If donations are needed or accepted for the site I am sure you will get the help that you give to all of us.
Best wishes for you and yours.
Posted By: Winter

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/23/09 10:13 PM

Best of luck with the new year! Swings and roundabouts. :P
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/26/09 04:59 AM

Great news Mark!
Posted By: JohnTheLuck

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/26/09 09:30 AM

Youppiii! The Net seems soooo empty without Frugalsworld. All the best for you, Mark, in 2010.

JTL
Posted By: Dogsbd

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/26/09 04:39 PM

Belated Christmas greetings to all the Frugalites lurking about!

Good to hear that things are turning around for you Mark, I do hope 2010 proves to be a better year for you, for all of us for that matter! Looking forward to Furgalsworld.com's return whenever it may come.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/30/09 03:09 PM

I'm a bit behind schedule getting the server back up as I've had the flu and Christmas has been pretty busy. The last few days I had to choose between spending my time with a beautiful girl or getting the server back up. Now FW means the world to me but it was a no brainer. FW will be back up pretty soon but it looks like my traditional New Year message will be a couple of days late in 2010.

Frugal

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/30/09 04:13 PM

thumbsup

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/30/09 05:08 PM

Thanks Mark, Happy New Year!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/30/09 06:15 PM

The last few days I had to choose between spending my time with a beautiful girl or getting the server back up. Now FW means the world to me but it was a no brainer. FW will be back up pretty soon but it looks like my traditional New Year message will be a couple of days late in 2010.

Frugal

That's not a matter of choice mate. FW can wait but Beautiful girls don't. WinkNGrin

Happy New Year to you and your kids.
Posted By: Lancelot

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/30/09 08:46 PM

YOU BETRAYED US FOR A WOMEN?............. well done, can´t think of better reason to betray somebody! wink

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/30/09 10:20 PM

The last few days I had to choose between spending my time with a beautiful girl or getting the server back up. Now FW means the world to me but it was a no brainer.

You got your priority right WinkNGrin

Happy New Year to you and your children
Posted By: WolverineFW

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/31/09 02:28 AM

I'm a bit behind schedule getting the server back up as I've had the flu and Christmas has been pretty busy. The last few days I had to choose between spending my time with a beautiful girl or getting the server back up. Now FW means the world to me but it was a no brainer. FW will be back up pretty soon but it looks like my traditional New Year message will be a couple of days late in 2010.

Frugal

Better late than never. Good to know you have your sanity and picked the beautiful girl. ;-)

Happy New Year to everyone!
Posted By: beetlebailey

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/31/09 04:06 AM

In case some of you missed it in the other thread, a lot of us Frugalites are meeting up here:

http://frugalsrefugees.yuku.com/

Of course it ain't Frugal's World, but it eases the withdrawal pains a bit.
Posted By: JBuzzman69

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/31/09 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: beetlebailey
In case some of you missed it in the other thread, a lot of us Frugalites are meeting up here:

This is not acceptable.There is no other.I need my "Frugal Fix" in more ways than one...

Happy New Year All.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/31/09 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: JBuzzman69
Originally Posted By: beetlebailey

This is not acceptable.There is no other.I need my "Frugal Fix" in more ways than one...

Happy New Year All.

Okaaaayyyy.......

Thats probably TOO much information!
( Dude... Yur scarin us...lol!)

And lets face it.......

If the Frugmeister did have his Priorities straight........ The Beautiful Girl would be Getting the Server Back On-Line !!!!!!
(Mark would be enjoying a cocktail, and the beauty of her form.... WHILE SHE WORKED!)
Try again Big Guy !
wink

Cheers to you and yours in the nxt Yr. Mark...... Be Well !!!!!!

Posted By: jimmie

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 01/09/10 01:24 PM

Hope things are doing ok... I've missed all the information about my cougar with u2next for long time.
Posted By: BeachAV8R

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 01/12/10 04:21 PM

Obviously Mark hasn't seen the thong thread..which exists on his own site! After that..who would dare chose a girl over a Frugal's World Resurrection???! biggrin

wink

Glad to hear the New Year is starting out on a happy note. We look forward to seeing FW back up soon!

Regards..
BeachAV8R

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 01/14/10 08:35 PM

Well here's to hoping the thong thread still exists, somewhere! wink

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 01/15/10 01:44 PM

Well if the thong thread disappeared I am sure that all of us Frugals people can rebuild it and make it better.
Posted By: sbclark

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/13/10 04:29 PM

Hi All,

I've been following this thread for some time now, but it sure doesn't look like Frugal's is coming back on air anytime soon. He did make several promises to resurrect his site, one over the Christmas holidays and the other after the 1st of the year....and we are well past the first of the year.

I have the sinking feeling that he is enjoying his new life, and has been freed from the burdon of managing his website.

It is really too bad, as I considered his site as one of the best in terms of Falcon 4.0.....and I must admit, I really miss this site. I hope he does eventually return, but the longer this goes on, the more unlikely he will ever return.

Bill

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/14/10 01:15 AM

Well..the Frugal fasting life experience is getting a bit too long than initially hoped for but since there's not much we can do to help reviving the site, let us all persevere and give him all the time he needs.

Have faith mate.

'In the beginning was the Frugals, and the Frugals was with Flight sims, and the Frugals was Flight sims. Mark was with Frugals in the beginning.'
Posted By: JohnTheLuck

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/15/10 11:02 PM

Patience...

I heard somewhere that Frugal'w World will be back ... in 3-4 weeks !!!

JTL
Posted By: coolts

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/16/10 03:25 PM

Where did you hear that?
Posted By: Vox

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/16/10 04:08 PM

Come back Frugals. Inaddition to Falcon it had great old threads about Mig Alley and Cougar World is missed too

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/16/10 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: coolts
Where did you hear that?

Never mind....a common auditory hallucination dating back to SP days...

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/25/10 09:07 PM

Was it not 3 to 4 weeks LOL
Ahhhh welll those were the days.....
Posted By: Nicolaas

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 03/01/10 04:18 PM

Vox:
Cougar world is hosted on James's site Foxy:
http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/ WinkNGrin

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 03/04/10 01:36 AM

sigh
Posted By: General_Cleanup

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 03/06/10 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Nicolaas
Vox:
Cougar world is hosted on James's site Foxy:
http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/ WinkNGrin

Hi everybody,

when I saw this link and "the old frugalsworld" homepage, I had somehow mixed feelings.
On the one hand I was glad the "stuff" was online again. (Though the forums-link was missing).
On the other hand I read this as a sign that it is not comming back. I truely hope I am wrong in this point.

Is there any news?

Grettings,
Jones
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 03/06/10 09:38 PM

Last I heard was a post from Frugal earlier in this thread. It's looking less and less like FW will be back to me. Such a shame.....
Posted By: LoD_Viper

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 03/06/10 09:40 PM

If it's not going to be coming back for the long term, I'd at least like Frugal to put it up for 1-2 months and let us get all the content off of the posts we can get. There is tons of posts / threads that only exist at Frugalsworld.com and no where else. Those will be forever lost if we don't get a chance to retrieve them. I'm talking specifically about modding/editing Falcon 4.0 and Falcon 4.0: AF type posts/threads.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 03/07/10 11:11 AM

Originally Posted By: LoD_Viper
If it's not going to be coming back for the long term, I'd at least like Frugal to put it up for 1-2 months and let us get all the content off of the posts we can get. There is tons of posts / threads that only exist at Frugalsworld.com and no where else. Those will be forever lost if we don't get a chance to retrieve them. I'm talking specifically about modding/editing Falcon 4.0 and Falcon 4.0: AF type posts/threads.

Yes, or in the worst scenario share the database if possible
Posted By: T Rex

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 03/31/10 07:45 PM

hehe

Frug's famous now. smile

Bunch of "real" news sites have talked to him:
http://www.ukwirednews.com/articles.php/47857-Introducing-UK-broadbands-first-customer-years-on
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/technology/8589853.stm

Good on him!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/01/10 12:49 AM

Good to see him on the major news.
Hopefully, he will prove that no news is good news.
Posted By: Rapid6

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/23/10 05:14 PM

Well after a heart attack and triple bypass, I am alive and well but find Frugal's is dead!
Come on Mark fire up a defibulator and revive FW.
I'm shure there is a frugalite with some server space available for a transplant.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/23/10 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Rapid6
Well after a heart attack and triple bypass, I am alive and well but find Frugal's is dead!
Come on Mark fire up a defibulator and revive FW.
I'm shure there is a frugalite with some server space available for a transplant.

Rapid, sorry to hear of your mis-fortune but heartened to hear you are doing better now!

I 2nd your motion for Mark to fire FW back up! I miss it terribly for the old modding / development posts which are located no where else.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/25/10 02:11 PM

Over at the yuku site I made the suggestion to BBall that Frug should box up the server and send it to Acog, a counter suggestion was made to box up Acog and send him to Frug. Acog refuses to go because of some issue concerning UK food. The impasse still stands for now.

wink
Posted By: f15sim

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/25/10 05:09 PM

Better yet, turn the server into a VMWare image and then ship that off to whomever can run the site.

g.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/25/10 09:54 PM

Its not the hosting that is the problem for Mark, its repairing the database files which would require time he didn't have (maybe still doesn't have?). When/if he does, we will have to see. If you get the time to read the front end of this thread there are a few posts from him explaining more.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/27/10 06:38 PM

Must admit tho i do miss frugalsworld, i checked in there at least once a day, if not any thing else than to waste a few mins in the Bar.....
Then again maybe i can get my post count up here LOL joined in 2006 and only 11 posts

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/28/10 12:16 AM

Yeah...I do miss the regulars at the Bar...

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/28/10 04:16 AM

I hope this doesn't turn out to be like the old Delphi Falcon forum - not gone due to the same reasons, but a beloved great place long gone.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 05/23/10 03:02 AM

Essentially been down for ~ 8 months now.

I still miss it. frown

Come back, Frugal!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 05/24/10 02:44 AM

Essentially been down for ~ 8 months now.

I still miss it. frown

Come back, Frugal!

agreed!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 05/27/10 08:18 PM

*Bump*

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 05/28/10 03:57 PM

Hey Frugal,

Check pm mate.

Cheers

Nutty
Posted By: ft

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 07/08/10 08:51 PM

Tried to check in today... haven't been an active participant in a long time, but still miss it every two months or so when I try to check back. One of those friendly places.

Frugal (Mark?), thanks for keeping it running all those years. Hope to see it back up again eventually, but if not... t'was good while it lasted!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 07/26/10 04:08 PM

Has anybody heard if there is any movement forward on getting Frugals back online? I really could use some of the modding information contained in the Falcon 4.0 and Falcon:AF forums from the site for use at PMC Tactical. Frugals was the only location for some of that information and unless it comes back online it will be lost forever I'm afraid.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 07/26/10 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: LoD_Viper
Has anybody heard if there is any movement forward on getting Frugals back online? I really could use some of the modding information contained in the Falcon 4.0 and Falcon:AF forums from the site for use at PMC Tactical. Frugals was the only location for some of that information and unless it comes back online it will be lost forever I'm afraid.

women biggrin

me runs....

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 08/17/10 03:27 PM

Well it's been a whole year now, I guess Frugals is gone for good....sigh....what a shame...
Posted By: Dragonclaw

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 08/17/10 05:42 PM

Show must go on.

Hard but true!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 08/17/10 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Rapid6
Well it's been a whole year now, I guess Frugals is gone for good....sigh....what a shame...

Agreed. frown

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 08/17/10 07:28 PM

what a pity really does seem like the end of a era sigh
Posted By: Protos

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 08/17/10 09:54 PM

Yes its a shame, I sent him a pm offering to host it again, but it looks like its gone.
Good news is I have a friend who just retired from the airforce that is thinking of starting something up. Stay tuned.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 08/17/10 10:27 PM

Only regret from Frugals, wish I had saved everything.... ah!

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 08/17/10 10:54 PM

frown

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 08/23/10 03:44 PM

Well being that I was perma banned there for dubious reasons I really dont care.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/05/10 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BBall

LINK

Here's the news everyone is waiting for. He says that he's still planning on getting the website back up and running "in the future", just not sure when. Strangely enough, he says he misses all the "characters" that hung out at the website (not the "drama" though...go figure), and he would love to get back into online flying, etc soon. As he said more than a few times (and I agree with him 100%), "the website is after all, a part of me..." So the downside is it looks like it may be a bit, what with that pesky "real life" getting in his way... but it's on his mind and in his plans. I know he'd like to re-design the site, and since he has ZERO time to do that, I'm wondering if some of you "techie/IT gurus" would consider offering your time and/or expertise to help him "git 'er dun"? Just a thought.
Posted By: Protos

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/05/10 07:36 PM

Doesn't sound like it will be back anytime soon.
I know of at least one replacement going live in the next few months.
Regardless its good to hear that real life is improving for him.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/05/10 08:42 PM

That's good news Panther. Thanks for posting that.
Posted By: XenonS

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/06/10 12:51 AM

FRUGALS !! COME BACK! copter

Instead of looking at "characters":
Frugals IS an incredible knowledge base for any flight sim and modding fan. This knowledge must be preserved, also should a new site emerge with another name. The spirit WILL be the same!

XenonS
Posted By: BBall

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/06/10 07:26 PM

Panther,

Thanks for posting this up.

Much like all of the great flight sim websites, Mark's "Frugalsworld of Simulations" was (and hopefully will be again) greater than the sum of it's parts. Frug and I met first 13 years ago when he hired me to write for his site, and we became fast friends. It took me some time, but I came to realize that he's an amazingly brilliant and sensible man...two qualities that can be strangers. His love and support for the flight sim community is unparalleled, and like most of us, it's "in his blood". I truly think that when life finally releases it's grip on him, we'll see him back in a big way.

"Characters" at FW's?

I think all flight simmers fall into this category....99% in a good way.

Thanks again for keeping everyone informed.

Have a great day all,

William "BBall" Ball
Senior Editor, Frugalsworld of Simulations
Captain, Boeing 757/767, Delta Airlines
Posted By: lamurt

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/07/10 10:02 PM

why re kindle a website which is almost synonymous with falcon when falcon itself is in the process of dieing a slow and terrible death?

i'd much rather have Frug grant FW a glorious and dignifying memory as it deserves to be remembered. (barring mowah and his perma ban heeehee).
Posted By: JAMF

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/07/10 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: lamurt
why re kindle a website which is almost synonymous with falcon when falcon itself is in the process of dying...
Because the forum was so much more than just Falcon? Cougarworld and the Cougar mods forum was an important part for Cougar owners, just to name one special portion of it.
Posted By: bofman

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/08/10 12:43 AM

when falcon itself is in the process of dieing a slow and terrible death?

That's one way of looking at it. nope

I prefer to see it as one long and glorious life thumbsup

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/08/10 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: JAMF
why re kindle a website which is almost synonymous with falcon when falcon itself is in the process of dying...
Because the forum was so much more than just Falcon? Cougarworld and the Cougar mods forum was an important part for Cougar owners, just to name one special portion of it.

That part of the site has a new address a long time ago.
This is the new address: http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/08/10 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: rhamphor
That part of the site has a new address a long time ago.
This is the new address: http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/
F o r u m. Besides that, about half the linked profiles don't work, it's a site in hibernation. One of the reasons why I've created the thread here on SimHQ forum with a list of profiles. The forum was a great resource on tips and tricks on programming the Cougar, or be used as a soundboard on all things relating to the Coug' and modders like IJ could report on their progress and share ways to improve the HOTAS.
Posted By: BBall

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/08/10 08:42 PM

why re kindle a website which is almost synonymous with falcon when falcon itself is in the process of dieing a slow and terrible death?

i'd much rather have Frug grant FW a glorious and dignifying memory as it deserves to be remembered. (barring mowah and his perma ban heeehee).

IMHO, those that have to ask, obviously never got what made Mark's site so different. It was indeed (as I mentioned above), far greater than the sum of it's parts. Some of my closest friends (including Mark Bush) are a result of the relationships developed at "Frugals World".

True it was a site chocked full of Falcon information....but many sites are full of info.

Mark's site was special...much like this one.

Have a great day all,

BBall

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/08/10 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BBall

IMHO, those that have to ask, obviously never got what made Mark's site so different. It was indeed (as I mentioned above), far greater than the sum of it's parts. Some of my closest friends (including Mark Bush) are a result of the relationships developed at "Frugals World".

True it was a site chocked full of Falcon information....but many sites are full of info.

Mark's site was special...much like this one.

Have a great day all,

BBall

Well Said BBall! thumbsup

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/19/10 12:04 AM

If you don't miss it, you never "GOT IT" to begin with....... matrix
Posted By: Retro

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/21/10 07:13 PM

Well.. there was delphi.. then combatsim.. then frugalsworld.. it's the people, not the forum

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/22/10 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Retro
Well.. there was delphi.. then combatsim.. then frugalsworld.. it's the people, not the forum

You..oldtimer old_simmer WinkNGrin

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/26/10 09:04 PM

So where have all the people gone? .....reminds me of a peter paul and mary song.......yes Aeyes I'm an old fart too........ old_simmer neaner

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/27/10 04:47 AM

Still a few around me thinks...........
Posted By: theOden

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/27/10 05:26 AM

Everyone is hoovering silently over different sites waiting for BMS Take 5 to happen and a see what forum will be central for that.

True Story smile

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/27/10 08:29 PM

Some of us 'characters' have gone to frugalsrefugees in the mean time, as a way to be able to say 'hi' to the old gang. Also has a Cougar corner and IJ is helping people with their modding needs.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/28/10 02:02 AM

I heard He'll be back in three weeks...

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/28/10 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I heard He'll be back in three weeks...

Thought that was suppose to be 3-4 weeks? wink

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/28/10 02:53 AM

twoweeks

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/28/10 01:45 PM

Good one McPanther.....Rule #7 cheers
Posted By: Cantoo

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/29/10 02:17 AM

For me the vacuum Frugals left has now been filled! The Falconeers forum and TS3 have provided me with everything and more that Frugalsworld did. I realize this won't fulfill the desires of the OF and FF communities, but for me this was just the thing I needed to get my Falcon fever back to a state of frenzy! I miss the days of Frug's, but for me it has become a closed chapter. Time to look forward, not back. Good things come and go. Can't change that fact of life. Continue to beat this dead horse if you like or look for something to replace it.

A lot of good folks here have really made the Sim HQ site a great place to hang out as well. So IMO it's the people who make Falcon what it is, not the site we choose to post in!
Posted By: Skunk1_Viking

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 09/29/10 08:13 AM

Well said sir, well said.
Posted By: Red_Ant

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/01/10 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Aeyes

Ah, I remember those times, too. smile I feel so old ... lol.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/02/10 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Red_Ant

shame on you lot for not mentioning f4c...

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/02/10 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: theOden
Everyone is hoovering silently over different sites waiting for BMS Take 5 to happen and a see what forum will be central for that.

True Story smile

since folks around here are afraid of ghosts, it's gonna be globalfalcon forums of course. wink
Posted By: Skunk1_Viking

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/04/10 02:00 PM

since folks around here are afraid of ghosts, it's gonna be globalfalcon forums of course. wink

GlobalFalcon (f4support.com) has always been the OF HQ of Falcon

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/04/10 06:53 PM

Yeah F4C, too bad it was attacked by some vicious trojan that made everyone stay away.
For the brave: http://web.archive.org/web/20031124232914/www.f4community.com/

Trip down to memorylane, F4UT at oct 2001: http://web.archive.org/web/20011012153216/http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/ and feb 2005: http://web.archive.org/web/20050203152212/http://www.f4ut.frugalsworld.com/

Falcon40.com at 2000 : http://web.archive.org/web/20000816000923/http://www.falcon40.com/
2004: http://web.archive.org/web/20010419070711/http://www1.falcon40.com/

G2I at 2001: http://web.archive.org/web/20010518102313rn_1/www.g2interactive.com/

F4HQ 2003: http://web.archive.org/web/20031207095439/www.simmersworld.com/default.php?page=default

http://web.archive.org/web/20031207095439/www.simmersworld.com/default.php?page=default

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/04/10 07:00 PM

Oh and this one of course, Falcon's history: http://web.archive.org/web/20040208100926/www.hzebv.nl/~falconhistory/history.html
Posted By: Falstar

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/05/10 02:59 PM

I miss Delphi. the classic Mower and Raptor debates. lol

I miss frugals also, and all my alias. LOL

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/05/10 04:06 PM

Yeah F4C, too bad it was attacked by some vicious trojan that made everyone stay away.
For the brave: http://web.archive.org/web/20031124232914/www.f4community.com/

Trip down to memorylane, F4UT at oct 2001: http://web.archive.org/web/20011012153216/http://f4ut.frugalsworld.com/ and feb 2005: http://web.archive.org/web/20050203152212/http://www.f4ut.frugalsworld.com/

Falcon40.com at 2000 : http://web.archive.org/web/20000816000923/http://www.falcon40.com/
2004: http://web.archive.org/web/20010419070711/http://www1.falcon40.com/

G2I at 2001: http://web.archive.org/web/20010518102313rn_1/www.g2interactive.com/

F4HQ 2003: http://web.archive.org/web/20031207095439/www.simmersworld.com/default.php?page=default

http://web.archive.org/web/20031207095439/www.simmersworld.com/default.php?page=default

good times... cheers

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/05/10 04:56 PM

This one too: http://www.escuadron69.net/v20/images/redactores/falconhistory_timeline.pdf
Posted By: MigBuster

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/07/10 08:32 PM

Nice one - even tried to sign in smile
Posted By: TommyGun

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/12/10 11:09 AM

Missing the bar so much... Pilot's Bar, later renamed into Goose's Bar... had some helluva good time there cheers . But I used to frequent the sim sections, too, I loved the Jane's F18 forum, also the IL-2 series forum, many great gyus there, I learned a lot about the Pacific theater, historical events, tactics, etc.

Memories, memories... just regretfully so much invaluable information has been lost. Well, that's life, I guess
banghead

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/14/10 07:35 PM

I miss it too. Maybe it was around 1998, I was relatively new to flight simming, having spent my early years with a PC invloved with racing sims like the old Indy Car/Indy Car 2, the original NASCAR racing and Grand Prix.

But I soon found flight sims like DI's Apache and the early Jane's sims like US Navy Fighters, ATF, Longbow and F-15.

Seeking info on flight simming led me first to Combatsim and shortly after to SIMHQ. I soon picked up the Euro release of the classic MiG Alley. The campaign in MiG Alley really sucked me in and I was soon posting AAR's and campaign strategies on CSim and SimHQ. One of the guys who participated in these threads was Ken 'KC23' Cook, who at that time was also involved at Frugalsworld, and he asked if I would consider popping in over there and hanging out in their fledgling MA forum. I did, and Frug's became my 'home' on the net. I would spend hours flying MiG Alley campaign missions, and then hours more posting about it at Frugals. I loved it, and I loved the sense of community I found. And the intercontinental mix of people I was interacting with just blew my mind. I mean, here I was in NJ having discussion with folks in England, and Finland and Australia and Germany. It's easy to take this all for granted today, but to me back then it was like a portal to the world was opened. So freakin' cool it was.

Back in those days, in 1999, Frug's was the old green and black cascading style forum, featuring the ever popular Comet cursor smile Mark started I believe more into space sims than flight sims, but it wouldn't take long for Frugalsworld to establish itself as one of the go-to places for info on flight sims, especially Falcon and MiG Alley IMO. Mark took a liking to what I was doing with my MiG Alley posts and asked me to join the staff, and I quickly agreed. I became a moderator, and also wrote some articles, pieces on some of classics such as EAW, BoB and Steel Beasts. It was great fun, and the association with Frugalsworld started many internet friendships with some really good people.

And even though it was the simulations that brought us together, it was the people that made Frugs special, as many others like BBall have stated in this thread before me. As the membership exploded there's no denying that with it we had some less than desirable characters making waves, and anyone who was hanging around Frugs for any length of time with readily admit we had troublemakers. But the vast majority of members were damn good people, who shared a common interest, and found in Frug's site a place to share and seek info, and feel appreciated and understood for their chosen pastime, simming.

And as TG just said, there was more to it than just the sim stuff. I've had many great conversations there about history, sports, fishing and guitars for example. I miss the place, there's no doubt about it. I still have the site bookmarked and occasionally I'll click it just in case...

My life has changed alot since Frug's went down... new home, new state, new job, wife, step kids and baby.... so I don't have time like I once did for simming and sim related websites. But I still hope Frug's rises from the ashes one day. So much good info, so many good people and far too many good times for it all to be history. But I suppose sometimes all good things must come to an end. I'm just hoping Frugalsworld doesn't become one of them.

Thankfully SimHQ is still going strong and I come here a couple times a week just to try and stay up to date, and get some sort of Falcon fix even if I don't find myself in the cockpit these days, or involved much in campaign threads like the old days. Good to see many old, familiar names in this thread, and I hope someday soon we're all reunited over at Mark's.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/15/10 02:44 AM

cheers
Posted By: hoover

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/17/10 05:27 PM

Same here, I was shocked to find frugalsworld.com being replaced by a parked / expired domain ad...

cheers hoover

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 10/26/10 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: hoover
Same here, I was shocked to find frugalsworld.com being replaced by a parked / expired domain ad...

cheers hoover

And now...the domain has been squatted. frown
Posted By: kadiir

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/19/10 10:33 PM

There are 17 people bidding on the backorder for the FW domain name (the cyber squatter only registered it for a year - which doesn't mean he won't renew it). I wonder who they all are?
Posted By: CAG100

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/20/10 08:58 AM

I definately miss Frugals... I joined back in 98 when combatsim.com went to a pay only site. That was when Frugals really took off...

I miss the old debates with Raptor when he was convinced he was a living legend of aerodynamics...

And building new campaigns for the original sim. Those were the days... The instability would kill you in a heartbeat when flying multiplayer dogfight but it was still a blast!

I wonder if the site will really ever come back...
Posted By: Ed_1

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/20/10 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: CAG Hotshot
I definately miss Frugals... I joined back in 98 when combatsim.com went to a pay only site. That was when Frugals really took off...

I miss the old debates with Raptor when he was convinced he was a living legend of aerodynamics...

And building new campaigns for the original sim. Those were the days... The instability would kill you in a heartbeat when flying multiplayer dogfight but it was still a blast!

I don't know about living legend but Raptor is a aero engineer .

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/20/10 11:19 PM

I know...... Off Topic, but ......

Hey Ed, Any insight to whether I should ask Santa for a new HOTAS This Following Year?
My old one has finally given out, and I would replace it if I thought a good flight sim was gonna be available.
Any Thoughts.........
wink

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/21/10 12:03 PM

Hey Ed, Any insight to whether I should ask Santa for a new HOTAS This Following Year?
My old one has finally given out, and I would replace it if I thought a good flight sim was gonna be available.
Any Thoughts.........
wink

h.a.w.x.2 is a good alternative for af...

neaner
Posted By: Casio

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/21/10 12:41 PM

Any Thoughts.........
wink

You should ask Santa Claus for a SAITEK X65F, HOTAS Warthog or the upcoming CH product. I know one of your wishes will come true!

Regards
Casio
Posted By: robmypro

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/22/10 04:32 AM

Question about Frugals. What is the situation? Did they lose all the data for the site? Otherwise I would be happy to get the site back up again, even if we had to go with a new domain.

What is the situation?

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 11/22/10 04:46 AM

See Panther's post of what BBall said earlier in the thread.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/11/10 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Ed_1

You obviously didnt know him then. In 1998 he was FAR from being an aero engineer...

tomcat
Posted By: Ed_1

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/11/10 02:28 PM

You obviously didnt know him then. In 1998 he was FAR from being an aero engineer...

tomcat

Have no idea in 1998 , that's right when F4 was released , it was much later that he help some in SPx series and was student , studying aero engineer at the time .
Posted By: Xeno

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/16/10 04:16 PM

BTW for those who are looking for kind of FW equivalent look here:
http://frugalsrefugees.yuku.com/directory

Not as magnificient and lacks tons of the knowledge, but at least a place where you can see some well familiar 'nicks smile
Posted By: JimmyS1985

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/23/10 03:19 AM

Im glad to see Im not the only one wondering what happened to the site. I got into flight simming 2 years ago and had a brief stint on Frugalsworld before it just disappeared. I guess it goes without saying that it will not be coming back, but as one of the last people to join the forum prior to its disappearance I think I can join Frugals refugees.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 01/31/11 07:01 AM

tomcat

Have no idea in 1998 , that's right when F4 was released , it was much later that he help some in SPx series and was student , studying aero engineer at the time .

I knew him then as well. I was flying with him then on the old 714VFTS Falcon 4 ladder...
Posted By: swampy11

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/04/11 06:20 PM

I know all of you, including myself, miss the forum over at Frugal's site. I sure would like to write a new install instruction set for OF if it ever gets back up because I am having one hell of a time installing it from the instructions I find on-line
mycomputer
`swamp
Posted By: Ltfransky

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/07/11 02:15 AM

http://www.f4support.com/forums/index.php

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/09/11 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Ltfransky
http://www.f4support.com/forums/index.php

That's great, but Frugals was much more than a flight sim forum.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/09/11 07:32 PM

Aeyes - How are things my friend? It's been a lone time....
`swamp

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/10/11 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: swampy11
`swamp

You know, at Frugs at a certain point in time there was this gag that when you visited a certain thread your name would show up even if it wasn't directed at you, some script generated it. I have to admit I logged out here at SimHQ to check if this was the same script hahahaha. It wasn't and I feel stupid now. How are u Swampy thumbsup

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/10/11 09:04 PM

Hehehe. Wasn't it something like [ego]? There were some great jokes pulled with that script. hahaha

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/11/11 02:04 AM

It was the ubb code [you], it's a hack for vbulletin. It was a great little hack.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 02/17/11 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: swampy11
`swamp

You know, at Frugs at a certain point in time there was this gag that when you visited a certain thread your name would show up even if it wasn't directed at you, some script generated it. I have to admit I logged out here at SimHQ to check if this was the same script hahahaha. It wasn't and I feel stupid now. How are u Swampy thumbsup

I have retired and if I knew it was going to be this good I would have done it years ago yep I thought I would return to the virtual sky and get back into F4 again. Gad, your reflexes slow down as you get old. It's a pisser! You still get much flight time?
`swamp
Posted By: grumble

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 04/01/11 02:08 AM

Hi Guys, Grumble here, ex-frugalsworld, and now running frugalsrefugees.

As others have already said, frugalsworld was more than just about sims; it had a great community with a wide variety of interests, and there was something there for everybody. There are already specialist forums like SimHQ and freefalcon that focus on simulation to the exclusion of all else (well, mostly). Hopefully, the refugees forum, while remaining sim-focused, will be able to retain that community feel.

We remain light on posters and knowledge, I'd like to extend an invitation to all and sundry to come over and join. We'd be glad to welcome you. You can find us at:

Frugals Refugees

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/29/13 01:22 AM

For those interested, we've just started another one at:

http://wwww.frugalsrefugees.com

The yuku board will be kept alive as a backup

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 12/29/13 12:52 PM

Did frugals-world go down? What happened this time?

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 01/03/14 03:01 AM

We had hosting issues within the community, which have been resolved.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 01/04/14 02:42 AM

It sounds like (now) that you were talking about the refugee site. I was asking about the reincarnation at frugals-world.com. It's pingable but the site doesn't load for me.

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 01/09/14 07:58 AM

Unfortunately that site is now down... there were problems with the DB and hosting. However, we have a new site live at www.frugalsrefugees.com. Please note that this does not have the original frugals content.
Posted By: Ssnake51

Re: Where did Frugals go?? - 01/15/14 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: grumble
Unfortunately that site is now down... there were problems with the DB and hosting. However, we have a new site live at www.frugalsrefugees.com. Please note that this does not have the original frugals content.

Hi Grumble,
How long does it take to have one's account activated over there? I registered last week and still have not received the activation email. Even sent off a support request asking for help, but so far no response to that request.
I can sign on and send personal messages but still cannot post on the forum. By the way, I registered as 'Ssnake51 there also.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums