homepage

Sim room ideas?

Posted By: Duchess

Sim room ideas? - 06/05/17 05:14 PM

Hi all,

So I bought a new house, and I have a room for myself, all to myself. I haven't measured it out, but maybe in the region of 20x20 feet and high ceilings.

my plans are to build 3 akers barnes cockpits alongside one wall, mount 3 large screens, and have at least 2 of not all 3 vr stations.

The Akers-Barnes cockpits seem like the ticket because they can be used for space/driving/flying sims no problem.

What I'm looking for in terms of input from you guys is maybe a theme for the room, or if you guys have seen any cool 'man cave' type designs. Right now it's just regular half concrete half insulation.

Thanks!
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/05/17 08:43 PM

Pics!!
Posted By: 453Raafspitty

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/06/17 08:04 AM

F16,F18 and an Su27?

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/06/17 02:45 PM

What I need is the actual inspiration for the walls/ceiling of the room. I was going to originally simply buy camo netting and just wrap around it.

But I have an entire room do do with as I please and that seems a bit low key.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/06/17 10:00 PM

Pictures / posters of aircraft from WWII to present day.
Posted By: Marc

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/06/17 11:46 PM

That use to be my man cave a long time ago, with a camouflage net on the selling and a military tarp curtain

[Linked Image]

Marc..
Posted By: 453Raafspitty

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/06/17 11:56 PM

Blue sky and clouds?
Posted By: 69th_Zeb

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/09/17 08:35 PM

I'd like to paint my boy's room similar to this, but not quite as "pastel" looking. Cliffs of Dover would be cool for the mural.
[Linked Image]

Would also be cool to build a B-25/Blenheim-like tailgunner's station, cockpit, and bombardier's desk (Dad can do the boring nav stuff..ha) along the opposite wall with a loft bed on top. That way my sons and I can all fly on a single ship online. smile
Trick would be to keep the sheetmetal structure from sending the kids to the hospital after one of their epic unsupervised lightsaber battles.
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/12/17 12:38 AM

While not ostensibly for rooms, this might work too:
https://www.style-your-garage.com/en/Garage-poster/Motifs-for-single-garages/Aircrafts/Jet.html

[Linked Image]

Are you envisioning all those pits being used at once? I ask because if it were me, I'd consider a wrap around screen. I could see making it so that the sim pits can be wheeled in and swapped out as needed:
http://www.simpit.co.nz/index.php/features-2/projection-display-solutions/icarus-180-avenger

And here's a thread:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4111587/2

Also, you have shots of the space you're working with?
Posted By: kestrel79

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/18/17 06:35 PM

Anyone know of a heavy duty carpet that works best for heavy him rigs like an Obutto?

I'm moving into my first house as well next month and want a dedicated sim room setup in either one of the bedrooms or in the basement.
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Sim room ideas? - 06/22/17 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by kestrel79
Anyone know of a heavy duty carpet that works best for heavy him rigs like an Obutto?

I'm moving into my first house as well next month and want a dedicated sim room setup in either one of the bedrooms or in the basement.

Berber carpet.

Re: Sim room ideas? - 08/28/17 06:22 PM

Thanks Aggressor,

I've got 1 A-B simpit done, and the other 2 almost ready.

I'm going to go with Camo netting, it's fast, relatively cheap. I also live close to an army base, so I may be able to get lots.

My budget is fairly low, in the sense that if I spend enough on this setup to buy an actual race car, I might as well just do that wink

I'm just looking for some cheap 1080P displays right now. I love the idea of the curced projector screen, but I don't want to invest in 6 projectors :P
Posted By: ATAG_Invictus

Re: Sim room ideas? - 08/28/17 07:22 PM

I recommend an 3x7 exercise equipment mat i.e. the black thick plastic/rubberized mats that people place under treadmills. It's what I have used and it's been great so far.
Posted By: 531 Ghost

Re: Sim room ideas? - 08/29/17 11:06 AM

Under my Obutto, I have a chair mat for carpet. Keeps the carpet clean if I were to spill and keeps the Obutto from rocking as I get in/out of it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Sim room ideas? - 09/06/17 02:58 PM

So here's my work in progress:

The middle unit is for VR, I have a ~28" TV I could swap in if it's 3 player Forza night.

Originally I was going to do a combination 360/PC setup, but I'm just going to go straight PC and leave the 360's out of it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Sim room ideas? - 09/07/17 10:49 AM

Oh boy... to have the space for THREE pits.... smile
Posted By: Brigstock

Re: Sim room ideas? - 09/07/17 11:07 AM

Love what you are doing there. Looks like your boys are enjoying it.
Would have loved that as a kid smile

Re: Sim room ideas? - 09/08/17 06:08 PM

It's actually very cool to have them in tandem like that, it makes the trash talk much more effective
© 2024 SimHQ Forums