homepage

Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust

Posted By: BlueHeron

Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/16/17 08:41 PM

Well that didn't last long. Last night I tried to update the BIOS of my ASUS B-350 board to version 0606. The process stalled and after half an hour I rebooted to a dead PC. Two beeps, and no video through VGA or HDMI. So p***ed right now!

Did some research on Crashfree BIOS, but it's no help without a video signal. No idea what to do next.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
ASUS Prime B350-Plus
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB
Various video cards
Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/16/17 10:18 PM

can you reset cmos?? I would look in the manual ..
Posted By: Allen

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/16/17 11:13 PM

I was nervous updating my Ryzen BIOS the other day. That worked. However, a couple simplistic tries at overclocking memory failed -- required BIOS resets.

Meantime, my first two Ryzen motherboards had "vanity lighting" failures (worked otherwise). One went back to the local store. Today, I'm packing the second to go back to the motherboard manufacturer for RMA replacement.

I'm actually running on the third motherboard (I bought a 3'd because I did not want to wait for the RMA return). That's 3 in approximately one month -- bought the first one March 11.

None of the above helps you. But, know you have "company". I hope you find a relatively low stress solution.

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/16/17 11:39 PM

Thanks, gents. Talk about growing pains with a new product!

I did reset the CMOS: unplugged, took out the battery, shorted the CLRTC pins, then left it for about an hour. No difference. Will try ASUS technical support tomorrow but I suspect the board is toast.
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/17/17 05:11 PM

Shouldnt most modern mainboards have a BIOS Recovery option (ie load on USB Stick, hold a Button, turn on PC, allow it to run)

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/17/17 07:45 PM

That's what I thought, but ASUS support just confirmed that the B350 board does NOT, and will have to be RMA'd. Now I regret not getting the Crosshair VI. frown

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/17/17 10:36 PM

Bloody confused now. Just read that my motherboard supports CrashFree BIOS 3, which is supposed to do the same thing as BIOS Flashback if I have a CPU and RAM running. So why can't I restore the BIOS myself?
Posted By: Allen

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/18/17 12:45 AM

Just for my own information, I read the user's manual for your motherboard (in case I have that problem). It says the same thing as my ASUS motherboard manual.

It seems straight forward to recover the BIOS -- IF one has a copy of the BIOS on a flash drive -- AND has renamed the BIOS file in the removable device into
PRB350PS.CAP. Now, your manual says to rename. My manual says nothing about renaming. Maybe that's an issue??

They say, just turn on the computer and install the flash drive in a USB port. I know you know that. I'm just wondering what happened for my future reference.

When my ASUS comes back from RMA, I'll make a second Ryzen computer -- I would like to worry less about flashing the BIOS. FWIW, my Gigabyte Ryzen MB has two BIOS chips on board -- I just throw a switch on the MB to change chips if one breaks -- then re-flash the broken one (in principle).

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/18/17 03:42 AM

The ASUS support site has a utility that automatically renames the BIOS file to the correct file name for your motherboard. What I did not try was to insert the USB key *after* starting the PC. I would always start with the key already inserted.

Oh well, the system is stripped bare now and I have an RMA for the motherboard. Think I will just by the Crosshair VI Hero and try to sell the Prime B350 after it's repaired.

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/18/17 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BlueHeron
That's what I thought, but ASUS support just confirmed that the B350 board does NOT, and will have to be RMA'd. Now I regret not getting the Crosshair VI. frown

Ask them to Flash your Replacement w/ the Latest BIOS.

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/18/17 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Allen
Just for my own information, I read the user's manual for your motherboard (in case I have that problem). It says the same thing as my ASUS motherboard manual.

It seems straight forward to recover the BIOS -- IF one has a copy of the BIOS on a flash drive -- AND has renamed the BIOS file in the removable device into
PRB350PS.CAP. Now, your manual says to rename. My manual says nothing about renaming. Maybe that's an issue??

They say, just turn on the computer and install the flash drive in a USB port. I know you know that. I'm just wondering what happened for my future reference.

When my ASUS comes back from RMA, I'll make a second Ryzen computer -- I would like to worry less about flashing the BIOS. FWIW, my Gigabyte Ryzen MB has two BIOS chips on board -- I just throw a switch on the MB to change chips if one breaks -- then re-flash the broken one (in principle).

I finished 2 Ryzen 5 Builds for Customers Yesterday, Fantastic Machines...
I cant wait to build my own.
Posted By: Aeronautico

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/18/17 04:39 PM

SkateZilla, your mailbox is full. Can you send me a PM with other means of contacts, it's about a system I will build soon and you might want to assist, compensation included. Otherwise there's Allen for free. biggrin

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/19/17 03:54 PM

Sorry, Not doing any noncontracted work right now, or taking new contracts (health issues and stuff).

The systems I finished were being built before I stopped taking new contracts, and they were local buyers.

I can offer advice loke I always do, no problem.
Posted By: Aeronautico

Re: Brand new Ryzen system bit the dust - 04/19/17 09:07 PM

Sorry to hear about your health issues, I hope they are just a bother and get solved soon. About the system, yes I was meaning advice only, also considering I will be in Italy by then. I know I can ask in these forum and find very competent advice too but given what is available on the market might differ from what's available in the US, it would require more dedication. Not much, but still some that I thought I would compensate via Paypal or something, like a Steam gift of choice or the like. The offer still stands, but I guess we'll see about it roundabout in June. My intention is to get a Ryzen 1600X and an "ad interim" Radeon RX 580 for the time being, until Vega matures.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums