homepage

Reformating my PC

Posted By: kestrel79

Reformating my PC - 06/04/15 07:34 AM

So I've had my system now for over 3 years, still going strong. Plays most of my games great...but it's starting to get a little sluggish. This was my first Windows 7 build, is reformatting easier in Windows 7? Any tips?

Usually I do a complete wipe, hard drive and everything and just reinstall Windows. Is there an easier way to do this in W7?
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Reformating my PC - 06/04/15 03:30 PM

No, Windows reinstalls are reinstalls.

Well, there IS an easier way, but it's too late now--you make an image of your system via some 3rd party program like Acronis or Ghost right after you install, update, patch, and configure Windows and all your programs. Then you just back up your data separately, reimage, and restore that updated data.

You can use the Easy Transfer Utility to back up all your files and settings now, though, so once you reinstall Windows and your programs the rest will come back easily enough.

Any way you slice it, though, you have a lot of work ahead.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Reformating my PC - 06/04/15 04:27 PM

It's still a LOT faster than XP. The install takes just a few minutes. You can use the quick format to save time as well.
It's reinstalling drivers, software etc that takes time. Then let it update overnight.
You don't have to use a 3rd party program to make an image, Windows 7 has that ability on its own. It does however have to be stored on a separate drive from the OS install.
You can even update the image as you update your drivers if you want to learn to do so.
Once you get everything how you like it, create the image. Next time you can have this done in just a few minutes and just have to run updates.

© 2024 SimHQ Forums