homepage

Need a new mobo suggestions wanted

Posted By: No Name

Need a new mobo suggestions wanted - 05/03/14 11:44 PM

My ASUS Maximus IV Extreme is apparently on the fritz. What. I thought were faulty drives are likely faulty SATA connectors on the mobo. Just opened a ticket but not sure if I can get an RMA. Mind you, this board IS an RMA of the original, which had a problem a few years ago.

Even though ASUS has a good reputation, I am not impressed, judging by the problems I am having. So I will avoid them from now on.

I do need one that will seat 2 NVIDIA GTX 680 cards. Other than that, it doesn't have to be high end or fancy
Thanks.
Posted By: Phoenix

Re: Need a new mobo suggestions wanted - 05/08/14 08:08 AM

With the new CPUs out (Socket 1150), your options are going to be pretty limited. You'll have a tough time finding new, decent Socket 1155 boards about.

I suggest this one:

MSI Z77A-GD65

If you don't want to pay the high price for a new one (~$200), grab a used one for cheap from Amazon. Just test the hell out of it when you get it though.
Posted By: kludger

Re: Need a new mobo suggestions wanted - 05/08/14 03:38 PM

I think all motherboard makers have problems with some of the batches they produce, and some of the hardware components wear out over time (especially capacitors), but over the years I've had good experience with MBs from Asus/Gigabyte/Asrock.

The Asus MB in my sig has been a flawless overclocker for the last 3 years (knock on wood).

If I had to choose another socket 1155 non-Asus overclocker board, the Gigabyte G1 Sniper line and the Asrock Extreme were the other ones I considered and had good reviews, so I would recommend you also check those out, assuming you overclock.

PS. I just remembered that Asrock was supposedly a sub company of Asus, so maybe if you want to avoid Asus you should avoid Asrock.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums