homepage

LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN

Posted By: AV8R

LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/06/11 09:03 PM

On the topic of Hamachi w/r/t LB2 MP online

The last version of Hamachi that worked on my computer with LB2 was v1.0.3.0 (and still runs and is what Im using now).
I have a LAN channel called "AV8R-LB2" which has a password (contact me via pvt msg if you want to join it).

I did have trouble loginng into the Hamachi server, and had to deal with a corrupted account but was able to fix that.
Still have my AV8R account, just lost my original Hamachi LAN IP that I used to have. No big deal.

Note that its important (Im on Vista) to have Hamachi show up in the adaptor stack. You can raise it up if you want
its IP to show up instead of your router's LAN IP. This might help deal with some IP or NAT issues.

Posted By: Recluse

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/07/11 12:55 AM

Mine got corrupted too and I reinstalled, and lost my old networks. I downloaded the latest version, which auto-updates itself, so I am on 2.0.3.89. Not sure if they are compatible...but it would probably not be bad to back off to an earlier version since they seemed to work better.

On the Hamachi Gaming Wiki (geared toward the 1.0.x versions) it said that anyone using VISTA should always HOST.

I think Flyboy and Eugene and I have the same version, and it worked previously with Eugene, but only doing TCP/IP connects with our Hamachi IP's. LAN mode worked once or twice, but then stopped. We'll see what happens.

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/07/11 02:35 AM

to deal with the login corruption (which I think was on their end, not ours)...

To work around corrupt profile
Shut down Hamachi completely
Go to Start > Run > %APPDATA%
Rename the Hamachi folder to HamachiBackup
Restart Hamachi
You will get a new Hamachi IP by doing this, however the existing was already corrupted by something on your machine.

In doing this, I was able to keep my old version of Hamachi without upgrading.
Posted By: Eugene

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/07/11 03:28 AM

Mine has worked with the new version, after doing the dance Recluse and you talked about. It's worked, testing Steel Beasts with another of our friends.

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/07/11 06:48 AM

Eugene,

Looks like we have Tanks in common too.
My friend who just went back to Iraq is a tank commander and trainer,
was training me and some others on SBPro over the holiday.
We didnt need Hamachi, as the direct connect via TCP-IP works fine
once the ports are properly opened up.

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/07/11 07:41 AM

Now that's a fine coincidence!

Right - we don't use Hamachi for SBP. This one member of our little Monday night regular get together changed ISPs and could no longer connect no matter what we came up with or what his tech support suggested or did, for a month or more. Hamachi was a last ditch try and it worked. Same day though the ISP sent a tech over and opened ALL of John's ports up on his router (not just the required for SBP). That worked and so no need for Hamachi. But interesting.

One of the three or four of us that meet Mondays just returned from Kazakhstan doing mil training for them. So we should be getting together again, likely this Monday. You would be more than welcome to join in. We use the SimHQ TS server. It's pretty informal and easy going, but serious. Something like the better times with LB2. Are you continuing to get together with any of those guys from Christmas/New Years? Are you patched up to the new version?

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/07/11 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: AV8R
to deal with the login corruption (which I think was on their end, not ours)...

To work around corrupt profile
Shut down Hamachi completely
Go to Start > Run > %APPDATA%
Rename the Hamachi folder to HamachiBackup
Restart Hamachi
You will get a new Hamachi IP by doing this, however the existing was already corrupted by something on your machine.

In doing this, I was able to keep my old version of Hamachi without upgrading.

Yeah, I tried this when it first got corrupted and it worked the first time..then when it got corrupted AGAIN, it didn't and I had to remove everything and clean the registry. If I had noted down my old Hamachi IP, they give you a mechanism to recover old networks, but I didn't. I will check around for any backups I did create and maybe find my old IP.

I will try it in case I want to revert back to an old version.

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/07/11 04:05 PM

Regarding SBPro

Yes, its patched to the latest. I do have the pro version, im not sure if its MP compatible
with the standard version. But you have pro, right?

No, since my friend went overseas, the group has not gotten together yet. Eventually they will
I imagine, but the guru and star pull power is gone for now.

Thanks, for the invite. Please email me the start timing and TS3 infos.

Do you guys make your own missions, use the UAV, manage the air strikes and arty, and use the
Bradleys as scouts and have the support tank crews follow the action?

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/07/11 04:14 PM

Regarding LB2 and Hamachi,

Once it is verified that LB2 works over the current or the old (1.0.3.0) version,
please post what was test to be successful and what ports were opened up.
Lets document this effort.
Posted By: Flyboy

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/07/11 04:17 PM

Ah I see AV8R, you just waltz back in here like you own the place, start making all these demands and then expect me to host this LB2/Hamachi tutorial?

*tsk* The cheek of it! wink

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/08/11 12:28 AM

Um...

My comments are directed to Recluse and Eugene who were responding to my posting.
Ill be sure to be more precise in the future.

copter

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/08/11 02:58 AM

We use the SimHQ TS3 server hosted here. Do you have TS3? If not set up yet, click on "Multiplayer" at top of the page. Also http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3137414.html

AV8R, yes to your questions above re SBPro PE. We do all those things, but not necessarily for every mission!
Our mission builder is in Uruguay, but was overseas for a long while. The mil trainer just returned also built several of the missions in the original Steel Beasts, some of which were ported over to SBP. We also check out the many missions built by the community over at SBP.

About Flyboy - he was saying that with a wink I believe.

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/08/11 02:58 PM

Eugene...

Been using TS3 and Vent for a while. So I set up for SimHQs per your link (thank you sir).
Now all I need is a time to rock-n-roll.

What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/08/11 03:11 PM

Eugene and I just spent a frustrating 3.5 hrs on the Hamachi LB2 project. In the end, we declared SUCCESS, but the road was hard.

The successful configuration involved:

Downgrading to Version 1.03. (Version 2.03.85 would not work for ANYTHING..odd since we had previously gotten a 2.0.x version to work and Eugene had SBPro working with it) Possible other versions including older 2.x versions may have worked, but we used the version AV8R had running for consistency.
Making sure that the Hamachi Network Adapter was set to the TOP of the Network adapter list
Configuring a suitable UDP/TCP port for all tunneling traffic (This option seemed to have disappeared or been buried in Version 2)

With the above caveats, when connected with Hamachi, we were STILL not able to see each other's LB2 games in the NETWORK (IPX LAN) mode. (both players clicking on the FOLDER (NETWORK GAME)This HAD worked at some point previously. The only real downside to this, is in TCP/IP mode, the HOST must be Pilot if playing Pilot/CP-G. In LAN mode, ANY player including the Host can be Gunner. We don't use this mode much, so no big loss.

We could, by entering the HAMACHI IP address, do a normal TCP/IP connection in LB2 (Host clicks the Monitor, client clicks the keyboard). We successfully flew a mission.

Note that we DID verify that WITHOUT Hamachi, while we could make a connection, the usual failure to transition into the 3D world when FLY was selected was still the case.

Unfortunately, that ForceBindIP program didn't seem to work with LB2. Didn't try to bind the Hamachi IP, but I tried to bind my regular WAN IP to beat the Router bug. Unfortunately, when doing that, not even MY name as Host appeared in the LB2 connection screen when starting Multiplayer, so I guess that is out.

Re: LB2 MP: Hamachi VPN - 01/08/11 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: AV8R
Um...

My comments are directed to Recluse and Eugene who were responding to my posting.
Ill be sure to be more precise in the future.

copter

Sarcasm was intended, I hoped you'd see that I wasn't serious with my last post! wink

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/08/11 11:21 PM

Recluse and Eugene,

Going back to the same version that worked before makes alot of sense...
If it aint broke, dont fix it. (an engineering axiom I rarely qoute)
soapbox

The adaptor stack was part of the equation to make it work, which is why I posted it as a reminder.
What I didnt state, was that at one time I had wireless connection problems until I put Hamachi back down the stack
after using Hamachi with it being on top of the stack.

I for one, appreciate both your efforts and willingness to share what you discovered and documented.
Looking forward to another LB2 MP fly-in down memory lane sometime soon.

S!

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/09/11 06:19 AM

Well, as Recluse said, we finally were able to connect again for LB2 but it was indeed a struggle. We had to ditch the current Hamachi and go back to 1.0.3 AND had to push Hamachi to the top in Network Connections/Advanced/Advanced settings: Connections - so that it was the first in the order they are accessed by network services. Along with having the proper ports forwarded and configuring in Hamachi the UDP/TCP port for tunneling traffic, those two ingredients seemed to be critical. In fact, iirc, Hamachi did not work for LB2 with everything else done except moving Hamachi to the top of the adapter list. Once that was done, we were good to go.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/09/11 03:14 PM

So... it looks like you CAN set a static tunneling port in Hamachi 2. Maybe this would have made it work..

https://logmeinsupport.com/kblive/crm/selfservice/displaywh.jsp?DocId=1750&SecMode=1

Quote:

How do I set a static port for incoming traffic?

In some circumstances, you may need to set a static TCP or UDP port for Hamachi2 to use when accepting connections. This is most commonly needed when you have a computer behind a router/NAT that doesn't support NAT, or its support of NAT is poor. In this case, you would need to set up a static port forward on the router/NAT, and then fix a static port in Hamachi2.

For Port Fowarding, (please note that every device is different) very detailed info per device can be found on PortForward.com. If you are setting up port forwards, it is easiest to set them up for both TCP and UDP protocols, and to keep them the same number.
Hamachi2 Configuration for Windows

1. Click System option.
2. Select Preferences.
3. Click the Settings button.
4. If you are in the Basic Settings view, click the Advanced Settings link at the bottom.
5. Scroll down to the Peer Connections section, and enter the port values you set up in your port forward settings of the router/NAT in the Local TCP Address and Local UDP Address.
6. You do not need to enter an IP Address, just the port number into the short box (See note below).
7. Restart Hamachi2.

note Note:
You do need to enter an IP Address if you have more than one active Internet connection. Enter the IP Address of the local sdaptor you wish Hamachi2 to connect through.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/09/11 04:06 PM

Recluse and Eugene,

Did you guys see any lag or pauses during the online sessions?
Take any screenies?

I still have some from our 8 player MP session

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/09/11 06:21 PM

I seem to have an occasional pause, but I see it in Single Player as well. Actually, I think I saw it LESS in our short MP flight than I did in Single PLayer testing.

Didn't take any screenshots this time around.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/10/11 09:32 PM

Recluse and Eugene,

Did a little of my own Hamachi (V1.0.3.0) testing with LB MP...

- Two computers, laptop (winXp) and desktop (vista)
- Each computer is on different internal networks, one is wired other is wireless
- Both connected to Hamachi with different VLAN IPs

Test1: connect via LAN mode
- Vista PC as host, WinXP LT as client: Vista LB2 MP doesnt show LAN connect mode in LB2 GUI
- Vista PC as client, WinXP LT as host: WinXP LB2 MP does show LAN connect mode in LB2 GUI
and can create a LAN LB2 MP session, but my Vista PC did still does not have LAN mode in LB2 GUI
and thus was unable to connect up.

It may be due to several reasons such as:
- both Hamachi clients were the same user AV8R, even though both had different addresses.
- I was able to ping from the Vista to WinXP via Hamachi, but not visa-versa. But when
I hosted the Hamachi channel on the WinXP box, then the ping ability was reversed. I guess
if I solve the ping issue, I might be able to host either direction. A test for another time.
- Both computers were using MS Firewwall with LB2 and Hamachi unblocked

Test2: connect via TCP-IP Inet mode
- Vista PC as host, WinXP as client inputting the host's Hamachi ip into the LB2 MP GUI
This worked fine and I put the Vista PC as pilot and WinXP LT as CPG in the same helo.
The picture below shows the two side by side.

Vista as Host, WinXP as client (of LB2 session).

WinXP as Host, Vista as client

Further notes...
- My two PCs are on different routers with different 3rd and 4th octets, so I wouldnt
have been able to connect them directly with TCP-IPs without Hamachi. So if I had put
them both on the same router and 3rd octet subnet, then I could have done away with
Hamachi. LAN would likely work in this situation as well - as this is what it was intended for.
Note, that our primary goal is using LB2 MP accross internet, albiet LAN or INET modes in LB2.

- It doesnt seem to matter whether or not Vista or WinXP is the LB2 MP session host.
Same thing with who owns the Hamachi VPN channel. Worked in TCP-IP LB2 MP mode either way.

- I put the HAMACHI adaptor on top for both computers. I also tried and connected with Vista
as the LB2 host when its HAMACHI adaptor was under both the Wired and Wireless adaptors. Still worked.

- Whats unsolved yet for me, is that I can ping from Vista to WinXP via the HAMACHI ping utility,
but not visa-versa. Again, this might be due to the reason I gave earlier. Note also these two
computers are not on the same router or subnet.
tried with the Vista PC

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/10/11 10:44 PM

Nice tests AV8R, if you could write up a 'final' article when you feel your tests are complete - whether just you using two different PCs or you with other players - that would be absolutely great.

P.S. Damn, you got some gadgetry going on there! smile

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/11/11 03:46 AM

Well, tonight Flyboy and I connected in LB2 right off. I was using Hamachi 1.0.3.0, he was using the latest 2.0 version. As stated above, I had a static port configured for all Hamachi Tunneling traffic, but Flyboy didn't configure anything or open any router ports.

He joined my Hamachi network and we loaded up LB2. We connected in TCP/IP mode with me as MASTER and he connecting to me with my Hamachi IP address. We connected immediately, proceeded through some minimal configuration just to make sure we were connected and I hit the FLY helmet. We entered the 3D world and had a smooth connection as we flew around then landed back at his FARP.

Only downside was lack of a debrief. When I landed and ended the mission, I got a Black screen that I had to CTL-ALT-Delete out of. Flyboy said that it crashed on his side, as it ALWAYS does even in SP mode. Some remaining Windows 7 incompatibility, we guess.

SO.. it seems that the Hamachi versions can interconnect. Maybe Hamachi 2 isn't as worthless as we thought. Not sure what would have happened if he tried to HOST LB2 instead, but that will have to wait for another time, as will trying to use the LAN connection and see if the game started by one person is visible to the other.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/11/11 04:04 AM

Just to confirm, everything Recluse said about my setup IS indeed correct.

Yeah, I do get a crash to desktop after every mission now - even in singleplayer. But (and I don't know if this helps anyone solve the issue), this crash came only after I changed the dgVoodoo 1.50 Beta2 Renderer API from Direct3D7 to Direct3D9. I had to do this as with D3D7 my 2D cockpit was messed up with missing sections. I did however, get NO crash in this mode.

So if I continue to possibly crash ALL players I play with because of MY crash, I can always switch back to D3D7 and try it - I'll just have to put up with the broken 2D pit. I know, I know, if I was really hardcore I'd use the 3D pit - if ONLY it was made fully functional!

In order to get total stability in Windows 7, I am using one of Phoenix's fixes. Perhaps if I play around with those and see if I still get the crash after each singleplayer mission, I might be able to resolve that crash AND have a nice 2D pit.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/11/11 05:46 AM

Smoothness...

The host side always looks smooth in multiplayer from what my experience with it shows.
The client side is usually where I see that there are micro warps or even regular update glitches.
And the closer one gets to another player, the more it shows up when 2 or ships are involved online.
Usually with two players in one cockpit as pilot and CPG, this shows up on the gunner's end as jitter.

One of the things Ive noticed that reduces this, is when the two PCs are running about the same speed.
Which makes me think its another area where the game is affected by computer speed.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/11/11 08:48 AM

Really good news in these reports. Given the nearly endless repeated attempts to get a number of us all connected in the old days (you remember, AV8R) due to all sorts of compatability and set up issues and who knows what, Recluse and I began to wonder whether we were just extra lucky as we usually had no troubles. Getting one of us successfully connected with a thord party is encouraging. Next step is to get three of us synched and able to complete missions. And of course, four would be terrific. Then able to fill all four flights, or to have some or all linked as P and CP/G's.

+G would have be pleased.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/11/11 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Flyboy
Just to confirm, everything Recluse said about my setup IS indeed correct.

Yeah, I do get a crash to desktop after every mission now - even in singleplayer. But (and I don't know if this helps anyone solve the issue), this crash came only after I changed the dgVoodoo 1.50 Beta2 Renderer API from Direct3D7 to Direct3D9. I had to do this as with D3D7 my 2D cockpit was messed up with missing sections. I did however, get NO crash in this mode.

So if I continue to possibly crash ALL players I play with because of MY crash, I can always switch back to D3D7 and try it - I'll just have to put up with the broken 2D pit. I know, I know, if I was really hardcore I'd use the 3D pit - if ONLY it was made fully functional!

In order to get total stability in Windows 7, I am using one of Phoenix's fixes. Perhaps if I play around with those and see if I still get the crash after each singleplayer mission, I might be able to resolve that crash AND have a nice 2D pit.

I'll have to check my DGVoodoo version and see if maybe an older DGVoodoo would help you. I am pretty sure that I have DX7 as renderer and the cockpit is fine...but.. WinXP, Nvidia drivers yadda yadda yadda.. too many variables.

Also I realized that it would have been pointless to try the LAN connection since I don't think you (Flyboy) have IPX installed anyway. No downside to TCP/IP other than needing to have the IP copied down unless the HOST really has a desire to be CP-G instead of pilot.

Edit: Forgot to say that I seldom use the Virtual cockpit either....unless I need to pan around for a quick situational update, but then I go back to 2D.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/11/11 04:49 PM

I still use DX7 as in the DgVoodoo setup pics we posted long ago.
My attempts to try DX9 have resulted in black screen lockups.
There may be some check box options that one might get away with,
but for the most part I stick to the orig settings.

Some of the graphics function calls in DX9 might not be compatible
with LB2's 3DFX coding. The DX7 is older and is likely to be
closer to what LB2 needs.

If my memory serves me, not getting briefings at the end of a MP
session happened to me when the client ended or crashed before
the host ended the session normally.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/12/11 06:40 AM

So - anyone up for giving a shot at connecting three (or more) up for LB2 Wednesday evening? Around 10 Eastern, possibly a little earlier would work for me.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/12/11 07:48 AM

Today I tested some more...

1. LAN on 3 computers behind the same router
Was able to connect up without trouble, no IP needs to be entered as they clients see the host.
Noticed that the host had to be a pilot of any helo, but couldnt be a CPG. Ran and flew fine.

2. TCPIP on 3 computers behind the same router
Was able to connect without trouble, IP had to be entered by clients using host IP. Ran and flew.

3. Hamachi LAN with 3 computers
Was able to see host with clients, but couldnt join. Needs more testing, I have some ideas.

4. Hamachi TCPIP with 3 computers
Was able to connect with clients, and was able to join and play.

Note, that Vista and Win7 OS doesnt come with IPX protocol adaptors.
Vista can be made to add IPX, but Im not sure about Win7 as I dont have it.

As for getting together on Wednesday, Ill see if I can. If not perhaps on a weekend.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/12/11 10:58 PM

Now THAT is some extensive testing. I believe you have frightened your tech into instantly connecting with us any time you try now.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/13/11 02:26 AM

Thanks Eugene,

What I didnt go into, is that I tried every combination I could think of with IPX and TCP stacking and exclusion to
try to get LB2 LAN working over HAMACHI. I thought that IPX adaptors only (you can disable TCP) would force
Hamachi to use just the IPX protocol. Well it did in a way, only the Hamachi IP shows up when IPCONFIG the adaptors.
But still no luck.

Since LAN works fine behind my router, that tells me its likely to do with HAMACHI only using TCP and not UDP or
something like that. If it used both, maybe it would work. Maybe theres a way to force Hamachi to do both.
Thats the only hope for it short of setting up a NOVELL LAN network online, methinks.

But its kind of moot really, because LB2 MP works fine over TCP. Just have to put in the Hamachi IP address if on
Hamachi VPN. If the port forwarding is correct or no firewall and router at all, direct connect TCP works also
without Hamachi. An easy way to do t his is for everyone (especially the host) to go into the DMZ.

That about rounds out this topic for now. With Combat-Helo by Flexman coming out sometime later this year,
we may have to retire the old bird and go with the new fangled Longbow with all the bells and whistles.

If you havent see the demo on Youtube for Combat-Helo yet, go do it. You will not be dissappointed. I wasnt.

Re: What a Long Strange Trip It's Been....... - 01/13/11 11:44 PM

AV8R - you are said to be able to 'hack-install' the IPX protocol on Windows 7 32-bit, but not for the 64-bit version.

Eugene - THAT level of testing has been met and possibly exceeded by myself and another couple guys who have been working on all the possible ways to play Comanche Gold multiplayer!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums