homepage

Naval Action - New Game Being Developed - Age of Sail Era

Posted By: FLGibsonJr

Naval Action - New Game Being Developed - Age of Sail Era - 07/26/13 01:10 AM

http://www.navalaction.com/

I am not sure if this game has been mentioned previously, if it has I missed it, it just came to my attention today. It appears that a new age of sail combat game is being developed. It seems like the best opportunity I have seen in years to having a new modern game dedicated to age of sail combat, and they are still working on the type of game play etc. The only concern is that it could end up as another economy, crafting, pirate game, based on requests in their Forum. I would suggest taking a look at their website and join the Forum and speak up about having the game be focused on realistic age of sail naval combat, if that is your desire. There are not any good modern games of this era, and it would be great to finally have one.

Best Regards,

Gibson
Posted By: SacaSoh

Re: Naval Action - New Game Being Developed - Age of Sail Era - 07/26/13 12:35 PM

Well, I think most of the people that play age of sail games are interested in more than just combat. It would be nice a new engine with realistic combat (like the damage), and nice graphics and physics to go with it, but the "economy, crafting, pirate game" are the backdrop for the combat. I think that if you strip away the fantasy aspect of PotC, and make it more realistic and complex (like a tactical overview for comanding your squadron), it would be awesome.

I don't think I would spend much time playing a pure "tactical engagements" kind of naval game, without a trading system, maybe like the present in the X3 series - a game with ships, but not seagoing ones xwing

Also, I think lots of people like the abovementioned aspect because of the game progression - getting money for better equipments and ships, hiring more skilled people (RPG aspects), maybe capturing forts and cities... These aspects target a larger audiente than, lets say, a "distant guns/jutland" kind of game based on age of sail.

Anyway, do you have a recomendation of an Age of Sail combat game? I remember playing one long time ago...
Posted By: FLGibsonJr

Re: Naval Action - New Game Being Developed - Age of Sail Era - 07/27/13 11:42 AM

The best Age of Sail game in my opinion was the original Age of Sail II game (not the later version called Age of Sail II: Privateers Bounty). Some still play it, but it is very old and the communities that grew up around the game are sometimes still in tact and hoping for a new naval simulation. The hope is here that this new game will offer that at least as an option (and the most recent indications from the developers seem positive on this). Most of the people I have played with including myself are just not interested in economies, crafting, non-historic pirating and such, they desire a true naval simulation, so that option is very important.

Regards,

Gibson
Posted By: Jonnyz

Re: Naval Action - New Game Being Developed - Age of Sail Era - 01/27/14 01:04 AM

Naval Action is coming along pretty fast

naval action live
Posted By: Coot

Re: Naval Action - New Game Being Developed - Age of Sail Era - 01/30/14 12:02 AM

Awesome! There's just something about old sailing ship warfare.
Posted By: trindade

Re: Naval Action - New Game Being Developed - Age of Sail Era - 01/30/14 12:24 PM

Beautiful screenshots&video! thumbsup
Posted By: HogDriver

Re: Naval Action - New Game Being Developed - Age of Sail Era - 01/31/14 06:32 AM

Crafting? duh

Otherwise looks really nice.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums