homepage

WW2 Combat Mission

Posted By: flightsimer90s

WW2 Combat Mission - 01/14/20 12:41 AM

they have a bunch of ww2 theaters out, anyone play?
historically accurate weapons and vehicles etc...

Posted By: Trooper117

Re: WW2 Combat Mission - 01/14/20 11:04 AM

Got all their WWII stuff, been playing those games for years, love em!
Posted By: Nimits

Re: WW2 Combat Mission - 01/15/20 05:08 AM

Played them off and on. The are not perfect, but are decent games.
Posted By: flightsimer90s

Re: WW2 Combat Mission - 01/15/20 08:28 PM

I have al the ww2 ones except the eastern front

they were mediocre but released a big AI upgrade last year that made them great. The detail and accuracy on the tanks weapons and uniforms all historically accurate amazes me
Posted By: DBond

Re: WW2 Combat Mission - 02/22/20 02:37 PM

I've been playing for many years and have most of the titles, though not all. I missed this thread a month ago and just saw it now. I agree the games are good, though with issues that don't need to be rehashed here.

they were mediocre but released a big AI upgrade last year that made them great.

Are you talking about the engine 4 upgrade? If so I think calling it a big AI upgrade is a bit much, and in my opinion it barely moved the needle, let alone made a mediocre game in to a great one. AI is one of Combat Mission's biggest weaknesses in my view. The TacAI works OK, but things are mostly handled through scripting.

The main points of the engine 4 upgrade are:

-- Added hulldown command
-- Improved infantry spacing
-- Added ability to peek around corners (which really wasn't needed and introduced other problems, particularly with pathing)
-- F/O kill stats now displayed
-- Added screen edge pan toggle
-- AI Area Fire Orders (The AI can now be scripted to use area fire)
-- Added AI facing order
-- Added AI withdrawal order.

So really, the extent of the 'big AI upgrade' was making troops spread out more and adding a couple of new orders in the UI
© 2024 SimHQ Forums