homepage

CoH 2 or ToW 2?

Posted By: Ibex

CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 04/29/13 03:46 PM

Hello,

I have very fond memories of the tactical RTS Blitzkrieg (the original Nival/CDV-game, didn't play the sequel), but as it is starting to show its age, I've been looking for a worthy successor. Obviously CoH2 is on the horizon, and a pre-order is tempting. However, I've also stumbled upon a Theatre of War complete-pack (ToW I, ToW 2 + Centaur + Kursk + Caen + Afrika) for a quarter of the price. So my question is, what are the pros and cons of the two series?
Posted By: SacaSoh

Re: CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 04/29/13 04:10 PM

Have you tried any of the titles of the Achtung Panzer Series? It's kind like a WW2 "Total War" game (dynamic campaigns, no unit "production", etc.)

CoH 2 is like CoH 1, a fast paced RTS with all the elements of a traditional RTS: Base construction, resources capture... just like age of empires in WW2 :-)

ToW is kind of a balance between CoH and Achtung Panzer (more to the side of Achtung Panzer) in terms of "realism" and gameplay. All ToW have a linear campaign (with the exception of ToW 3, not in your collection - a bad implementation of dynamic campaign anyways...).

The fun factor depends entire on you, I recommend that you watch some videos on youtube. Also CoH have and active multiplayer community, CoH is WAY more fast paced (and restricted in map area) than ToW. Anyway, I find Achtung PAnzer Operation Star way better than both.

Re: CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 04/29/13 05:00 PM

Yeah, been looking at APOS too, though not completly sure about the combination of the strategic view and the tactical (or was that some other game?). Have been trying to make up my mind based on gameplay videos, but some more might not hurt mycomputer
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 04/29/13 05:41 PM

I recommend you try demos both for APOS and TOW 2 and see what you like better. COH2 is a click fest, not much strategy in this game (just like COH 1 was). It's pretty, has lot's of eye candy but it's still a "Starcraft type" of gameplay - more arcade than a strategy.

Re: CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 04/29/13 05:43 PM

How's moddability for either of the titles?
Posted By: Apocalypse31

Re: CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 04/30/13 02:26 AM

Blitzkrieg was awesome, and I still have it installed (along with the Rolling Thunder and Burning Horizon addons)

I also did the sounds for the Operation Barbarossa addon and Battle Kursk addon. Both were great, and really pushed the limits of the engine.
Posted By: Richie61

Re: CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 04/30/13 05:21 AM

APOS is a great title! I sadly bought all the TOW & TOW2 titles and what a waste of money - IMO.

Bugs & crashes every time frown
Posted By: Santhonax

Re: CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 04/30/13 10:10 AM

Went ahead and preordered COH 2, mainly because I love the Eastern Front. Compared to APOS or ToW it definitely doesn't rate anywhere close on the realism/scale level, but there is still enough emphasis on tactics to be enjoyable. Not sure if you ever gave the first one a go or not, but so far it plays EXACTLY like the first one, just with new units... Even the winter mechanics aren't terribly game-impacting, but it's fun for what it is.
Posted By: rostov

Re: CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 05/07/13 02:19 PM

I prefer GT/APOS.

If CM*2 develope a game focus on Eastern Front, I'll try,

I think COH2 is just for fun, and you will be depressed for its future DLC. so a lot of useless content.
Posted By: Wodin

Re: CoH 2 or ToW 2? - 05/09/13 12:51 PM

Graviteam Tactics wins for me hands down. best RTS made..up until then Close Combat was my No1..and actually these two series are the only RTS games I've ever enjoyed.

I prefer CMx2 game engine only because I honestly prefer WEGO..BUT thats the only reason why iI'd put it above the GTOS game..
© 2024 SimHQ Forums