homepage

RTW goes medieval?

Posted By: Erwin J

RTW goes medieval? - 01/23/05 10:48 PM

Watched tonights episode of Time Commanders: A lovely middle England family fighting out the Battle of Stamford Bridge

Do we know anything about a MTW2 coming out? Or was this a community mod of some kind?

Anybody have any more information about this?
Posted By: Mace71

Re: RTW goes medieval? - 01/23/05 11:22 PM

Watched that as well. Seems they dumbed down the difficulty of the enemy AI as they won every engagement! (well I only watched the first 3/4 of the prog) It was much better in the first series, with the Roman units.

The kids were anoying also \:D .
Posted By: Tailgunner

Re: RTW goes medieval? - 01/24/05 12:19 PM

Looks to me as though CA have a 'Viking' add on up their sleeves for later on this year.

Making new models for RTW is actually pretty simple, when you know how. The units you saw in action were fighting in what looked like a standard RTW battlefield. Models were using existing spearman / axeman skeletons, but were quite clearly NEW. If they have gone the whole nine-yards with this one, then a new unit and map pack of Dark Ages Northern Europe could be coming our way. Viking Invasion in an RTW engine...yummy!

As far as the battel goes, so far this series every battle has been gifted to the contestants.

LAst week, as teh ROman army completed is slaughter of the Spearmen, I wondered why all the survving axemen you could see in teh trees didn't come down on their unprotected rear ...

This week, the 'Vikings' attacked a superior force in tiny dribs and drabs, allowing each unit to get overwhelmed and cut up before throwing in the next one. Also...the rearguard was on the wrong side of the bridge, and woefully exposed. If they had drawn back and held the other end, the Vikings would have had hours to get ready. As actually happened.....

I was disappointed with the battle really. The contestants did fight a fairly sound battle...but it was made SO easy ANYBODY could have won that! In fact..I don't see how they could have lost it!

come on BBC....make them work for it ;\)
Posted By: Guderian

Re: RTW goes medieval? - 01/25/05 01:31 PM

Quote:

Looks to me as though CA have a 'Viking' add on up their sleeves for later on this year.
I think CA are planning an expansion pack that will cover the late empire and the fall of Rome. My guess is the vikings and other medieval units in the latest Time Commanders episode are slightly modded versions of late barbarian units like Goths and Franks.

Previous episodes of Time Commanders have included other suspicious looking units like Huns (Chalons) and late Roman legionaries (Adrianople).
© 2024 SimHQ Forums