homepage

Chaff

Posted By: Mace71

Chaff - 04/09/11 10:45 PM

I read Sharkey Ward's book years ago (Sea Harriers over the Falklands) and remember him saying they had no chaff dispensers so had to stuff bundles of it between their bombs and wing, so when they dropped the chaff would disperse. Is this modelled at all? Would be great if it is.

Obviously aimed at the devs if they are around smile
Posted By: Dante-JT

Re: Chaff - 04/27/11 12:49 AM

Hi MaceUK33,

Sorry for the late answer; at the moment we have radar emissions and the cockpit RWR identifying between these emission types: P, TWS, CW, EH, I and J band. No chaff yet, so to get out of argie radar we have to use terrain masking.

The idea of shoving the chaff behind the airbrake was clever. Sure they'd to pop the airbrake to drop the chaff, although I wonder what they did to prevent the chaff to falling out as the airbrake came down too during the V/STOL configuration to assist with containing air during the hover (in a similar way the gunponds do, 'trapping' a portion of the air below the plane and so helping a bit with the lift). If you do a google images search you'll notice that Harriers in V/STOL configurations have the airbrake partially open.

The GR3 had two ALE-40 chaff dispensers behind the airbrake on all planes in the Falklands but the first 6 aircraft deployed.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums