homepage

Historic landmarks and sites

Posted By: Dante-JT

Historic landmarks and sites - 10/25/05 06:28 AM

Today I've placed one of the first landmarks of our scenario, the Bodie Creek suspension bridge, a few miles south of Goose Green:

A pity it is too low over the water (10 feet) to attempt a 'fly under' stunt. \:\)

Next landmarks to be placed on JT's map will be the lighthouses, first the one at Cape Pembroke:
Posted By: Lemon

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 10/25/05 06:42 AM

Looks very well modeled \:\) What sort of budget do you have for ground objects?
Posted By: FlyXwire

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 10/26/05 09:47 AM

Really enjoying seeing this sim come along.........keep up all the good work! \:\)
Posted By: RMachucaA

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 10/26/05 06:26 PM

cant wait!
Posted By: vince-16

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 10/30/05 01:27 PM

The bridge is real perfect.

Compare and contrast:

Great job.

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 10/30/05 02:54 PM

Notice that we lack the water pixel shader (all other games have) and our bridge should cast a shadow as well (nothing cast shadows currently in our engine).

If any programmers out there wish to volunteer to help our programmer Steve (scary_pigeon) with the 'eye candy' part (shaders programming, fragment program,vertex shaders etc) feel free to contact us at dante@thunder-works.com or steve@thunder-works.com \:\)

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/22/05 02:51 AM

Historical battle sites being worked at the moment (Mount Tumbledown, Two Sisters, Mount Longdon etc) highlight is the work done in low altitude ground clutter like cliffs, stones and bushes.

This is Mount Tumbledown, one of the first important battlefields to be seem from Stanley while moving West, it has a rocky outcrop creating what looks like a 'dorsal spine' that runs from East to West over the mountain's peak:

Rocky peaks around Mount Willians and Sapper Hill region, the islands landscape must have more rocks than a Flintstones cartoon:

A closeup of some wind swept bushes (I'm hovering very low and slow here, ignore the alt reading in the HUD, it's distance from sea level, not radar-altimeter):

Mount Williams as seem from the start of the 'walk' uphill, I'm still hovering very low and slow, the bushes and stones now really bring a dimension to the hills:

...and now hovering at the top looking downhill:

...more to come, expect to see ground troops running for cover behind rocks in the near future.
Posted By: RFT

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/22/05 09:44 AM

wow.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/22/05 10:08 AM

Awesome, just awesome \:\)

Dano.
Posted By: piper

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/22/05 12:29 PM

This is looking great guys!

Can't wait.
Posted By: S Dirickson

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/22/05 01:57 PM

That ground clutter really brings the terrain to life. Can't wait to see it once all the landscaping is completed.

Now I'm just hoping there is a missionbuilder so I can recreate the Russian landing and defense of Iceland in Red Storm Rising.
Posted By: Uther

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/22/05 03:58 PM

That terrain is stunning!
Posted By: Trident

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/22/05 08:59 PM

Excellent! The graphics are really coming to life now. I do hope you have pop-up under control, that would look bad when approaching such objects from afar.
Posted By: IvanK

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/22/05 11:38 PM

Very Nice \:\)
Posted By: GADGET

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/23/05 07:07 AM

Olé!
Posted By: ricnunes

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/23/05 07:08 PM

Excellent!!
Posted By: semmern

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/23/05 10:19 PM

Best. Sim. Terrain. Ever!

That looks so friggin amazingly superfantasticallymagnificently good!
Posted By: No Name

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/23/05 10:43 PM

really really nice!
Posted By: Aladar

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/23/05 11:45 PM

That is defniately some outstanding terrain. Wow. Fantastic!

"expect to see ground troops running for cover behind rocks in the near future."

I would love to finally see ground troops fighting on the ground.
Posted By: Cat

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/24/05 12:22 AM

Very nice, Dante! From what I have seen, you have captured the Sea Harrier's avionics look admirably well, and the terrain is really pretty.

Miao, Cat
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/24/05 01:17 AM

I'm glad someone is finally doind a Harrier sim. It's one of my favorites, and it's been practically ignored by flight sim developers. Is this going to be the Harrier II/GR.7 version of the airplane?
Posted By: scary_pigeon

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/24/05 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pooch:
I'm glad someone is finally doind a Harrier sim. It's one of my favorites, and it's been practically ignored by flight sim developers. Is this going to be the Harrier II/GR.7 version of the airplane?
possibly in Jet Thunder 2: Antartica
Posted By: Skii

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/24/05 08:33 PM

Ker-CHING !!!!

2 copies sold.

\:\)
Posted By: HarryR

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/25/05 06:44 PM

Any chance of a video of the new look, preferably at speed and in the weeds? Nice looking sim now, not that it wasn't before \:\)
Posted By: Jester_159th

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/25/05 09:33 PM

That terrain looks fabulous. I am really looking forward to thie one reaching the release stage.

Briiliant work guys
Posted By: Goanna

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/26/05 01:19 AM

"possibly in Jet Thunder 2: Antartica"

Sea Harrier FRS.2..??

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/26/05 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryR:
Any chance of a video of the new look, preferably at speed and in the weeds? Nice looking sim now, not that it wasn't before \:\)
I did a little one:
http://www.thunder-works.com/clutter1.zip

download and unzip, should work in Windows Media Player as I used Windows Media codec...

I will do a proper one when Steve put back the low altitude turbulence effects (they improve the sense of low level flight) and hopefully fix all the cameras (fly-by cam etc) - I should populate more the terrain with clutter, as performance is still very very high.
Posted By: mbeaver

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/27/05 12:07 AM

I almost got motion sickness from that one.

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/27/05 10:19 AM

I'll say it again...

Awesome \:D

I can't wait to crash into one of those rock formations, and yes, I know I will ;\)

May I ask what the specs are of the system that you made the video on?

Dano.
Posted By: Pizzicato

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/27/05 01:11 PM

That video is insane!!! (In the best possible way).

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/27/05 06:34 PM

That looks UNBELIEVABLE

I need this sim.

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/27/05 09:32 PM

Very nice video, gives a real "feel". Like it much \:\)
Posted By: HarryR

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/27/05 11:08 PM

Great sense of speed as you go past the mountainside, I am realy looking forward to seeing more. Thanks for posting the video.

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/28/05 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dano:
I'll say it again...
I can't wait to crash into one of those rock formations, and yes, I know I will ;\)

Dano.
Sure. \:\)
System specs:
AMD AthlonXP 2400
NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
1Gb RAM
Microsoft Sidewinder ForceFeedback
Windows XP
Frap 2.60

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/28/05 09:19 AM

Cool \:D

Nice to see something looking that good running that well \:\)

Waiting eagerly for a demo ;\)

Dano.

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/28/05 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante-JT:
Quote:
I'll say it again...

Dano.
System specs:
AMD AthlonXP 2400
1Gb RAM
Windows XP
Frap 2.60
Thats my spec too nearly identical !!!!!

Posted By: scary_pigeon

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/28/05 07:35 PM

and we're not exploiting the graphics cards properly yet. embarrasingly, the only half advanced thing we're doing is ST3C compression. not yet exploiting multitexturing features of cards so those triangles are rendered 4 times in the terrain for the different texture passes.

so there is that and other options for optimisation.

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/30/05 12:03 AM

I just watched that video. Wow! Was that cool!!!

The sense of speed was amazing....

Hurry up guys!-)
Posted By: Cat

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/30/05 01:43 AM

Well done, Dante. That's about the best cockpit I've seen this side of Lock On. The vid shows everything the screenies don't. Simply wonderful to look at.

Miao, Cat
Posted By: 20mm

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 11/30/05 03:10 AM

Did someone say "Harrier"?

Looking very nice guys, very nice! Impressive video and a nice roll without digging in a wingtip...or more!
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/06/05 03:17 PM

Wow. That video sure looks impressive. All the little parts seem just "right", the whole choice of colors, dirt, scratches on the cockpit and a sense of speed to match.

Very realistic looking stuff, I dare say even more so than LOMAc (sure runs faster).
Posted By: Colt40Five

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/10/05 02:17 AM

Amazingly cool! I am among the throngs who eagerly await release!!!

And it's nice to know that you don't have to design a game to run on a cray supercomputer for it to be pretty.

Now quit posting sweet vids and get back to work!!! lol \:\)

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/17/05 07:15 PM

While Steve fix the height code (colision to ground) I did 2 videos testing a located-camera:
http://www.thunder-works.com/hover_fun.zip
of course, this SHAR hover model needs tuning: too strong RCS, specially yaw. And its still lacking all expected effects (heat blur, particles kicking up from ground, foreign objects ingestion ;\)

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/18/05 02:45 AM

That was FUN to watch!

Keep it going guys - your audience awaits.

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/18/05 08:03 PM

Nice indeed. Great plane behavior.

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/18/05 11:41 PM

I just saw the videos of the Harrier hovering and have to say, I am impressed. Any chance of an in cockpit video at some stage?

How would you class your current state of development? (alpha, beta?) And how are the other aircraft coming along?

Great work gents. Really looking forward to handing you some money for this one!

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/19/05 07:01 PM

Very good guys, very good. Congratulations.
I see all the videos, but i only see the Harrier, my question is the Mirage III, Pucara, A4Q/B and Super Etendard, are flyable at this moment?

Saludos

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/19/05 07:58 PM

Quote:

I just saw the videos of the Harrier hovering and have to say, I am impressed. Any chance of an in cockpit video at some stage?
Yes, here it is:
http://www.thunder-works.com/transition.zip
uncompress the zip to watch in windows media player

You see the hover from inside cockpit with a bit a sideslip, then I slowly move the nozzles back a bit - you see messages popping up in console text and the nozzle indicator in cockpit moving slightly backwards - I switch to external static camera and attempted a 'bow', a maneuver seem in Harrier airshow displays where the pilot pitch up the nose through RCS while moving nozzles back - the Harrier arcs towards the sky - but I still don't get the hang of it \:\) need more practice (and V/STOL FM need a lot of fine-tuning too)

Quote:

How would you class your current state of development? (alpha, beta?) And how are the other aircraft coming along?
Pucara is the next step, as it is capable of using the landing strips in current Falklands/Malvinas map. I dare to say we are barely at pre-alpha stage - for beta, we must have the full front-end interface and mission/campaign briefings and all that we don't have now, and also anti-aircraft defense sites working, destroyable terrain statics (buildings etc), complete damage for ships (we will have this soon)

Quote:

I see all the videos, but i only see the Harrier, my question is the Mirage III, Pucara, A4Q/B and Super Etendard, are flyable at this moment?
The Pucara will be flying around really soon, a matter of days, from BAM Malvinas (Stanley) and BAM Condor (Goose Green). The A-4, Super Etendard and Mirage will appear more over the islands when we have at least Rio Gallegos ready for them to take-off and landing ;\) In this subject, any photos of Rio Gallegos 1982 (specially airbase runway layout) will be appreciated for reference!

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/19/05 09:53 PM

Thanks for the link, Dante. Even in the windowed media play I got a sense of motion on the in cockpit shots. Great work.
Posted By: GADGET

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/21/05 09:25 AM

Great job

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/21/05 11:30 AM

Wonderful work !

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/21/05 01:12 PM

It's noticeable how out of sync is the audio in the videos - I've used registered Fraps 2.60 to grab the video/audio and then used VirtualDub(free) to encode in Windows Media format - anyone has a hint about how audio should be recorded with Fraps? \:\)

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 12/21/05 02:01 PM

Dante this will be the best!!!!
Posted By: Patrocles

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 01/04/06 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante-JT:
Quote:
I'll say it again...

Dano.
System specs:
AMD AthlonXP 2400
1Gb RAM
Windows XP
Frap 2.60
what is Frap 2.60?
thanks.

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 01/05/06 12:50 AM

Quote:

what is Frap 2.60?
thanks.
fraps Benchmarking, screen and video capture software.
Posted By: 666th RZero

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 01/17/06 05:20 PM

Dante-JT try using microsoft movie maker (free with XP) to compress your videos you dont lose out on the sound and easy to use, I use it make ingame movies adding my own sound track to them as well (mostly ac/dc) also you csn give comentary on whats happing what i have found that helps with fraps is if you set it to 26fps doesnt tend to hog your system to much.
Posted By: Kevlon

Re: Historic landmarks and sites - 01/18/06 03:06 PM

Looks very good!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums