homepage

Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game

Posted By: CGReload3000

Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/11/05 11:18 PM

Now that Red Orchestra has won the Make Something Unreal contest . The Red Orchestra team has gotten an unprecedented amount of awards and reviews.

Our latest Review which you can view at Macologist is probably the best so far, so if your into WWII First Person shooter games and you want something a bit more slow passed and allot more realistic then RO may be the game you’ve been looking for!

Be sure to check out Red Orchestra at www.RedOrchestragame.com

Thanks,
Anthony
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/14/05 08:15 PM

Originally posted by CGReload3000:

Our latest Review which you can view at Macologist is probably the best so far, so if your into WWII First Person shooter games
Thanks,
Anthony
probably the best so far? Wow, such a claim. I guess you've read EVERY OTHER SINGLE review on Red Orchestra out on the net? Impressive. rolleyes

P.S. Anyway, I wouldn't be going to a MAC website for PC game reviews.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/14/05 08:35 PM

actually I played RO when it was in beta back when UT 2004 got released, it was pretty good and I knew it would be a winner...

problem is most gamers that would enjoy the RO mod, really wouldn't buy UT 2004 in the first place.

but congrats anyway to the makers, it does look fantastic, just won't go buy a game I don't like for a mod I do like lol.

(I played with a friends version of UT 2004, to check it out. FYI.)

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/14/05 09:48 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by CGReload3000:

Our latest Review which you can view at Macologist is probably the best so far, so if your into WWII First Person shooter games
Thanks,
Anthony
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

probably the best so far? Wow, such a claim. I guess you've read EVERY OTHER SINGLE review on Red Orchestra out on the net? Impressive.

P.S. Anyway, I wouldn't be going to a MAC website for PC game reviews.
Yes I have wink

You see, im a 3D/2D Artist for Red Orchestra so reading reviews and anything else covering RO is something normal for us Dev's.

Laters! cool

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/15/05 04:31 PM

But yes, I do like Red Orchestra 3.1 very much. My only request is that the BOT A.I. be improved.
Posted By: RainMan

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/15/05 08:30 PM

Hmm.. I have not bought UT2004, but I would love to have Red Orchestra.

From what I understand, this is a "serious" attempt at making a WWII game, and not some UT2004 style play with WWII aspects.

The screenshots of the interiors of the tanks are quite impressive, to say the least!

So, should I go out and get UT2004 just to play a decent, modern WWII game?
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/15/05 08:38 PM

It's a shame that UT requires insane 8GB of harddrive space and that the Bots are not fully there yet...otherwise this could be the best WW2 Game currently around.

BTW, from reading another post here, is it true that you're going to get the engine licensed now that you've won the award?

Standalone of this would be SWEEEET.
Posted By: Kyril =VIII=

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/16/05 02:16 PM

I've been splitting time between flight simms and Red Orchestra since the initial RO 1.0 release,it's come a long ways,and is an awesome game that any serious simmer should enjoy. Beware, RO can be as addictive as flying, lol.
Version 3.2 will be released late February or early March and promises even more polish to an already almost retail quality game. AI support will finaly be implemented, the levels with each release get better and better,new toys (ie, the mg42 in 3.2) it just plains rocks.
The only drawback being as already stated, most simmers have no interest in UT2004 and most likely will not buy it to play the mod, but......here is a link to purchase UT2004 for 15 dollars http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer.storefront/SESSIONID/Product/View/001UNRT24 worth every penny to play this game, believe me. Red Orchestra will eventually go stand alone, but til then, for 15 bucks, it's hard to beat.
I believe you can delete a few gigs of maps and such from the UT folder to free up some hard drive space, there are threads on what to safely delete in the RO forums.

http://www.factor8guild.com/
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/16/05 02:28 PM

I'm not just a simmer, but a gamer, so I had UT2k4 well before RO was out for it. In fact, I didn't even know of RO for UT2k3 until the first release for UT2k4 was announced.
I've tried several UT mods including FragOps and Jungle Warfare, but only RO is still on my HD. I'd say my UT time is split about 60/40 UT/RO. With the addition of better bots for RO, I think that ratio will swap. wink

The Jedi Master

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/16/05 04:52 PM

It's Unreal Tournament 2004 Madness!

Alright fellas, UT is now on sale for a very limited time at GoGamer.com, so if you've been interested in trying Red Orchestra but didnt want to spend $30 or $40 on it at a retail store then now is the best time to go order it online for a very low price of $15!!!

Remember guys, their is only 16hr's left!

Click here for the GoGamer.com Unreal Tournament 2K4 Sale!

Have fun!

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/16/05 05:06 PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys! The above post may be a little late but I made a post about the GoGamer sale anyways. Thanks for introducing it to them Kyril =VIII= .

BTW, from reading another post here, is it true that you're going to get the engine licensed now that you've won the award?
Yes! It is very true and the future of Red Orchestra is just starting biggrin

For those wondering about the patch. Here's a little hint for you guys. If you look at the server list you will be able to see if any test servers are up and what were working on at that time by just looking at the name of the server.
We only do this sometime so keep an eye out;)

One more for you guys, notice the Test Server that is or was up had no player names visible in the list but it seems to have players in it?

I wonder whats going on in their?
Posted By: RainMan

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/16/05 05:17 PM

So, CGReload3000, will Red Orchestra then be a "stand-alone" game eventually?

If so, I can hold off getting UT2004 just because I want RO... wink

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/16/05 05:30 PM

So, CGReload3000, will Red Orchestra then be a "stand-alone" game eventually?

If so, I can hold off getting UT2004 just because I want RO...
NO! biggrin

Go get it. It reall is well worth it. hehe smile
Posted By: akdavis

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/16/05 08:05 PM

Just got UT2004 for $20 at Gamestop yesterday. I've installed RO, but only messed around with the practice mode a bit so far. Looking forward to trying it online.

Thank you for realistic weapons!

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/16/05 08:56 PM

Originally posted by akdavis:
Just got UT2004 for $20 at Gamestop yesterday. I've installed RO, but only messed around with the practice mode a bit so far. Looking forward to trying it online.

Thank you for realistic weapons!
the weapons are extremely well done (G43 rocks). Wait til you check out the sniper scope optics with detail on "high". The maps are also amazing.

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/17/05 04:11 PM

Okay, I've played online a bit, but I'm seeing little cooperation and teamplay, despite the excellent and simple orders interface. In fact, it seems people avoid taking the leader the positions in general, as there always seem to be an opening there.

Are there any good servers for teamplay that aren't hardcore clan or voice comms oriented?

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/18/05 11:20 PM

When the announcement was made that RO had won the MSU contest alot of new players arrived, much like the flood with each release build. It takes awhile for newer players to get a feel for the game and start working as a team (still get the Rambo effect tho from some)
I would actually suggest the clan servers for team play, as most RO servers are run by clans and interact with new players on a positive level for the most part.

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/21/05 03:42 PM

Okay, I take back what I said about the orders interface. It would be excellent if it were not seriously bugged. Half the time I issue orders (i.e. Order--> attack the Garage) some other location appears in the chat (i.e. "attack the Construction Hall."

Is this a known issue?

But other than that, issues are minor (some annoying bugs with weapon swapping and iron sights at times), but I have a lot of suggestions for improving the game from my last few days of playing. Not sure if anybody wants to hear such things from a "newbie" though...

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/21/05 05:08 PM

When you give an order to attack, it will broadcast the message to attack wherever you may be,ie... if in the Construction Hall, it will broadcast attack the Construction Hall.
Posting in the ideas and suggestion thread on the RO forums is not an effort in futility, the devs actually read them, consider them, and implement the good ideas.
There are some annoying bugs for sure, but the next release, RO 3.2 due out in a few weeks, promises to polish it up as well as add some new content.

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/21/05 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Kyril =VIII=:
When you give an order to attack, it will broadcast the message to attack wherever you may be,ie... if in the Construction Hall, it will broadcast attack the Construction Hall.
Posting in the ideas and suggestion thread on the RO forums is not an effort in futility, the devs actually read them, consider them, and implement the good ideas.
There are some annoying bugs for sure, but the next release, RO 3.2 due out in a few weeks, promises to polish it up as well as add some new content.
I wish it were that simple. The attack order brings up a second menu to select location to attack. It seems that on certain maps giving an order to attack one location will display an order to attack a different location, regardless of your current location. For example, if you are currently in your side's spawn area and issue an attack order for an enemy held location, a message to attack your own spawn is not broadcasted.

Do you mean that regardless of location selected for attack/defend orders, the objective nearest to the leader issueing the order will be broadcast?

Well, in general, much could be done to improve position reporting for all forms of communication, and I'm sure it will be.
Posted By: wilsonam

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/27/05 11:16 PM

That annoying "ooops... wrong order" bug is fixed in the upcoming release 3.2, I'm happy to say smile

Likewise, the Bots have had some love and attention over the last couple of months!

Add in the MG 42 and the Soviet IS-2 and the new release should be good.

Oh - and you should be getting some special attention on it from your own staffers here at SimHQ !

Cheers,

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 02/28/05 12:02 AM

Originally posted by wilsonam:
That annoying "ooops... wrong order" bug is fixed in the upcoming release 3.2, I'm happy to say smile

Likewise, the Bots have had some love and attention over the last couple of months!

Add in the MG 42 and the Soviet IS-2 and the new release should be good.

Oh - and you should be getting some special attention on it from your own staffers here at SimHQ !

Cheers,
Very cool!

Been playing a bunch recently. It's a lot of fun, but sometimes I feel the respawning takes away from the realtistic gameplay. Do any servers run with permanent death ala America's Army? Is this possible with RO?

Also, has the team considered adding suppression effects as in America's Army? As it stands, bolt-action rifles seem to be a bit too effective, mainly because an auto weapon can be showering the rifleman's location while he calmly takes aim and kills them. Right now, putting down suppressive fire on the opfor might as well just through up a huge neon sign that says "Shoot Me Please!" Would be awesome to see real fire and maneuver taking place.
Posted By: Stiglr

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 03/04/05 09:10 PM

My first question, knowing that RO is spawned from a "bunny hop" Rambo FPS fantasy title...

Is it easily hacked? If I go online to try this, will there be dozens of snotty nosed punks using aimbots, speed hacks and other "in-boi" items to stack the odds against anyone who just wants a fair fight (er, as fair as warfare will allow, I mean)?

If I could be reasonably sure of the integrity of the online experience, I might be tempted to actually try this. The lack of a 'serious' military FPS with "real earth" physics and such has kept me from ever trying a title of this sort (and in the case of WWIIOL, who wants to be a soldier when you can fly a plane or drive a tank?)
Posted By: Stiglr

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 03/04/05 09:13 PM

AK davis wrote:
Also, has the team considered adding suppression effects as in America's Army? As it stands, bolt-action rifles seem to be a bit too effective, mainly because an auto weapon can be showering the rifleman's location while he calmly takes aim and kills them. Right now, putting down suppressive fire on the opfor might as well just through up a huge neon sign that says "Shoot Me Please!" Would be awesome to see real fire and maneuver taking place.
This is an interesting concept. Sounds to me like the crux of it is the same as in any sim: how do you simulate "fear of death" realistically so that everyone isn't overly aggressive or prone to take too many risks.

How would you simulate "suppression"? How does America's Army handle it?

I'm totally ignorant of anything in this genre, so that's why I ask.

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 03/05/05 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Nguyen:
AK davis wrote:
This is an interesting concept. Sounds to me like the crux of it is the same as in any sim: how do you simulate "fear of death" realistically so that everyone isn't overly aggressive or prone to take too many risks.

How would you simulate "suppression"? How does America's Army handle it?

I'm totally ignorant of anything in this genre, so that's why I ask.
America's Army handles it with a "combat effectiveness" meter. If you are in close proximity to enemy fire, you lose combat effectiveness, which basically means it's harder to shoot accurately.

I don't think a meter is necessary. Feedback can come through audio elements (sound of near misses, heavy breathing) and through reduction in ability to aim (swaying just as when fatigued, but perhaps add in a "jerking" effect when in iron sights). Short of another sniper, the most effective counter-sniper tactic is to lay on as much firepower to the suspected position as possible. Not even a super-human can aim accurately under that sort of suppressive fire, but any return fire should have some effect.
Posted By: Harry-the-Ruskie

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 03/08/05 12:24 PM

In a nutshell, am I correct to say that RO is currently a realistic FPS for multiplayer only ?

Further, am I correct to say that they are working on some bots (singleplayer) but that area still needs quite a bit of work ?

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 03/09/05 11:56 PM

In a nutshell, am I correct to say that RO is currently a realistic FPS for multiplayer only ?

Further, am I correct to say that they are working on some bots (singleplayer) but that area still needs quite a bit of work ?
You can find the answers to your questions by clicking on this link wink
Posted By: wilsonam

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 03/11/05 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Nguyen:
My first question, knowing that RO is spawned from a "bunny hop" Rambo FPS fantasy title...

Is it easily hacked? If I go online to try this, will there be dozens of snotty nosed punks using aimbots, speed hacks and other "in-boi" items to stack the odds against anyone who just wants a fair fight (er, as fair as warfare will allow, I mean)?

If I could be reasonably sure of the integrity of the online experience, I might be tempted to actually try this. The lack of a 'serious' military FPS with "real earth" physics and such has kept me from ever trying a title of this sort (and in the case of WWIIOL, who wants to be a soldier when you can fly a plane or drive a tank?)
Ok - because we are based on the Unreal Engine, it can't be hacked easily. After two years, we've still not yet found anyone doing anything (in terms of cheating) than exploiting the odd hole in the terrain (and we close those off as soon as they are found!).

The aim all along has been to make this a combat sim... no bunny-hopping little rambo types smile

Actually, as an old sim hand (going all the way back to board game days) I actually find it helpful to have a few gung-ho kids online in a game with me - they make great assault troops (ie bullet-magnets and sniper-detectors) so that I can rip off a burst or 3 from the MG42 and THEN charge on to the objective (over the bodies of my dead comrades, if they insist on dying na rodina !

Try it out - borrow a copy of UT2004 first - but try it !
Posted By: Drawde

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 03/17/05 05:56 PM

Well, if there's a retail version of RO, with bots for offline play, I'd buy it like a shot.
I'm not really a MP fan (but prefer open-ended MP-style play to scripted missions) and also have a 56K connection
so cannot realistically either download the current version of RO, or play it with a reasonable ping, so I'd definitely
pick up a copy if it isn't too expensive.

For anyone who plays RO, what are the maps generally like in terms of terrain openness? I'd imagine the UT2004 engine allows for reasonably realistic outdoor maps (some of the original maps with the game are pretty large).
And how many vehicles are there currently - are there support vehicles like halftracks and trucks, stationary AT guns
and artillery, etc. as well as tanks?

Re: Red Orchestra - WWII Eastern Front War Game - 03/17/05 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Drawde:
Well, if there's a retail version of RO, with bots for offline play, I'd buy it like a shot.
I'm not really a MP fan (but prefer open-ended MP-style play to scripted missions) and also have a 56K connection
so cannot realistically either download the current version of RO, or play it with a reasonable ping, so I'd definitely
pick up a copy if it isn't too expensive.

For anyone who plays RO, what are the maps generally like in terms of terrain openness? I'd imagine the UT2004 engine allows for reasonably realistic outdoor maps (some of the original maps with the game are pretty large).
And how many vehicles are there currently - are there support vehicles like halftracks and trucks, stationary AT guns
and artillery, etc. as well as tanks?
I would define the maps as semi-open. Most are urban. The rural maps have that "arena" feel to a degree and fog is pretty noticable. They don't really do tank vs. tank combat justice, but it's still fun.

Equipment wise there is:
-truck (ZiS?) for the Russians (not the best model in the game; should be replaced with the M3A1 scout, IMO)
-SdKfz 251 with MG42
-KV-1S
-T-34/85
-Pz IV F2
-Pz V Panther
-JS-II "soon"

There are also artillery strikes, but no on map artillery/guns (other than static objects to capture/destroy).
© 2024 SimHQ Forums