Posted By: Master

Squad Updates - 11/03/15 06:25 PM

www.joinsquad.com

They released v2 last friday

Quote:
Version 2 Announcement
Oct 29, 2015
Boo!

It's Offworld, bringing to you a frightfully packed update on the next Closed Alpha build (Version 2), set to come out at the end of the week, Thursday 11pm PST/Friday 6AM GMT. We've been hard at work not only adding in new features, game modes and weapons, but also making the current experience smoother and much more enjoyable. All the good stuff!
The Closed Alpha version 2 will be available through the Alpha portal for download to all Founders.
Below is a massive changelog of all the things that have been going down this month and have made it to release!
New Game Mode - Insurgency
The Project Reality classic is back!
Two Insurgent Weapons Caches spawn at the start of each round. The US Army forces must take out insurgents to gain Intelligence and get hints to where the caches are located. As each Cache is overrun and destroyed, another one spawns in a random location on the map.
US Army Squad Leaders have an Incendiary grenade to destroy the Caches, the US team needs to destroy a total of 5 Caches to win. The Insurgents must drain the US Army team's tickets or wait out the clock to win.

New Game Mode - Territory Control
A New Gamemode focusing on pure defence & offence depending on the side. Insurgents have a number of territories at the start that they have to defend. The points are not meant to be captured in any particular order. If the US capture a territory, it cannot be recaptured. US has a time limit to capture all the territories. Some territories have a spawn point that can be captured.

New Scope and Attachment System
All the scopes have been redone, improving their sight picture and alignment. New attachment system allows us to attach several accessories and optics at the same time. Some variants of the M4 now have a foregrip.

ACOG reticle is now fully usable with ranging and bullet drop.
The SVD has its PSO-1 scope back. Reticle is not 1:1 with real life yet.
Known Issue: There is a small jitter when viewing through the scope while standing on the edges of the map.

Improved Inventory

Added an Inventory element to the HUD, showing which item you have selected and what is selected in each item group.
Multiple items per slot. Pressing the slot button multiple times cycles through the items in that slot (For example, Smoke Grenade Colors can be cycled through)
Re-grouped items into more logical groupings. The player can now find items in the same spot in the inventory across classes

https://gyazo.com/7d510ab6bd58a76bd6b96681edc92d2d

Improved weapon handling

Weapon sway now behaves differently depending on stance (Bipod weapons have reduced sway when prone)
Weapon recoil can now be affected by stance (Bipod weapons now have considerably less recoil when prone)
Focus sway reduction is now dependent on weapon and stance
Weapons now have proper working ballistic flight mechanics
Weapons now have MOA deviation depending on weapon and bullet quality
Weapon sway is now different when not aiming down sights
Full recoil overhaul on all weapons. Weapon config and load out now affects the weapons recoil behavior.
Slight damage and falloff tweaks on existing and new weapons.
Fixed a bug where weapons would have no bullet drop under 500 meters.
Shovels now stop shoveling when deployable is at 100%
Medic bag and field dressings no longer stops healing when the player that is getting healed moves
When entering ADS mode your sights now stay aligned.

New HUD Items

Added a small information blurb at the start of each gamemode, explaining the rules and how to win
Added an Inventory widget, showing which item you have selected
Improved the Ammo widget with a better design to improve its readability
Added a game timer
Updated the chat boxes with some display features
Added a medic icon to medics on the map
Improved the Flag and FOB capture widgets
Player icons are now smaller, making the map more readable
Insurgent flag has been redesigned
Compass has been scaled up and modified for easier readability

New Kit Role Items

Added 5 new AK variants to playable kits: AKM, AKMS, AKS-74U, AMD-65 and PM md. 63. (All with placeholder textures).
Remade existing RPK model. (Has placeholder texture)
Incendiary grenades for US Squad Leaders on insurgency maps. (Note that you drop this grenade for greater precision - you can only throw it a few meters)
M249 now has an CompM4 Aimpoint.
Added RDG-2 smoke grenade, replacing the M18 smoke grenade on the Insurgents.

Kit Role changes

All Insurgent kits now have pistols. The US side remains unchanged to reflect a more realistic load-out. Insurgent Fighter kits now have the AKM/AKMS instead of the AK-74 as standard. The AK-74 is still available as a limited kit in squads. Limited to 3.
AKM or AKMS will be randomly chosen to give aesthetic diversity. They are functionally the same at this point in time.
Insurgent Cell leader and Medic kits now have unique AKs so you can more easily identify the roles in the squad. Cell leader has PM md. 63 and the medic has AMD-65.
RPG Gunner now has the AKS-74U.
US Squad Leader kit now has the Aimpoint CompM4 on his M4 again, as well as a front grip to help identify him.
US Medic now has a foregrip on his M4 to help identify him
Grenadiers for both factions now have UGL launched smoke grenades in both white, blue and red colors.
All insurgent kits now has the RDG-2 smoke grenade instead of the M18.
The Rifleman ACOG kit is temporarily limited to 2 per squad.
Insurgent Marksman kit now has the SVD with the PSO-1, additionally he also has a set of binoculars.
All kits can now resupply fragmentation grenades from an ammo crate. Still limited to one frag grenade per kit role.

Improved Main Menu

Server Browser now shows Map, Gamemode, and whether or not the server is out of date.
Improved feedback when you are kicked from a server, or if the master server goes down.
Renamed 'Deploy Now' to 'Start Local' to better describe what it does.
Added a FOV Slider.
Added Toggle ADS/Lean
Added Credits, Founders will soon be added
Added two new main menu music tracks from Scott Tobin

Improved Maps

Kohat Performance and Visual Improvements
Logar Valley Performance and Visual Improvements
Added Police Station static object
Added Mosque static object

Misc Changes

Added support for special events
Added in Founders Skins for the AK, M4, and RPG-7. These will be tied to your Steam Inventory in the future, but for now they are assigned randomly each time you get a new kit (spawning or ammo box)
Prevented the game from launching if certain settings were turned off, fixing ini options abuse like no shadows, no smoke particles, etc.
Added "Kick from Squad" ability and "Give Squad Leader" ability for the Squad Leader, left click on the "My Squad" list on the player and follow the menu buttons.
Added right click on the "My Squad" list on the player and follow the right click menu buttons.
New weapon fire sound improvements for AK series, SVD and new distant fire sounds.
New projectile flyby sounds.
Added injury sounds like death screams.
Added more construction sounds for deployables.
Added explosion debris sounds for grenades and rockets.
Improvements to footstep sounds.
Added support for multiple permission levels for server admin access
FOB Capture radius reduced to 75 meters, from 150 meters
FOB spawning is no longer disabled when 2 enemies enter the radius. Instead the respawn time scales up 15 seconds per enemy in the radius.
Changed the black Dead screen to a grayscale blurred out image of the map from the map camera location.
Improved spawn points so that spawns have multiple positions to check for a valid spawn. This should prevent issues where you cant spawn on an otherwise valid spawn point.
Improved the Admin Observer Cams controls and features, and removed a number of hud widgets when in camera mode.
Reduced the bleed out rate when incapacitated and bandaged.
Added per-state sounds and effects for Deployable construction
Fixed the Go-Pro camera position in filming mode
Added reverb effects to almost every static building
Fixed an issue where the loading screen would go away too early, leading to issues where you would spawn in on the map without the terrain loaded
Fixed an issue where multiple servers on the same IP would not be listed on the server list
Improved performance of stamina calculations
Weapons now drop and have physics when the player dies
Fixed the Insurgent Shovel being held incorrectly
Added Credits in the main menu, Founders will soon be added
Added the ability for admins to assign squad leaders and kick squad members from a squad
Shoveling a radio now adds or removes capture progress on the FOB.
Shovels can now destroy deployables with right-click
Fixed the radio tower so that you can no longer climb up the sloped bars
Fixed server heartbeat timeouts
Added ability to deshovel FOBs to help with the capture tickets

Stay tuned to the main website page and also the forums for the actual release of the Closed Alpha version 2, expected delivery date to be this Thursday 11pm PST/Friday 6AM GMT.
Offworld Out.

They also have a 2.1 hotfix out later this week

Quote:
Version 2.1 Hotfix
Nov 2, 2015
A hoy-hoy. Its Offworld, with a very quick update.
We are putting out a hotfix for a number of pressing issues with the Closed Alpha Version 2 Build, mainly dealing with some gameplay and immersion breaking issues and bugs.
Please pay attention to the Alpha site for the download link which would be coming in the week.
Below is a changelog of what is going into the V2.1 Hotfix, and another reminder that this is going to be a full build download.

Changelog

Fixed shovels not being able to destroy deployable assets
Deployables now change state at 1/3rd and 2/3rds of their max health
Medic HUD now shows when players need bandaging when they are incapacitated on the ground.
Fixed Field Dressing and Medic bag collision issues, meaning players could not heal when lying down
Some quality of life changes to the player Bleeding Icon
Fixed community admin not being able to kick players
Disabled annoying admin notifications of failed shots
Fixed numerous client-side crashes
Fix some issues with inventory widget not showing the correct icon depending on what is left in multi-slot inventory locations.
Added physics to UGL smoke grenade projectiles
Added Local VoIP volume slider, out of game volume slider, and allowed volume increases beyond 100.
Fixed scoreboard player name sizes so that more players will show up on the scoreboard.
Fixed grammatical error in ruleset text for certain game modes.
Fixed missing weapon cache icons after one gets destroyed.
Added Orange attack and Purple defend colour coding to the Insurgency cache map icons for clarity.
Fixed ACOG being too dark, especially on night maps
Fixed a Rally Point related crash
Added display name to game modes that can be used to show display names in the server browser.
Fixed naming on the other rulesets and game modes.
Fixed Voice volume level slider
Added Radio Filter on/off button in the settings
Fixed audio reverb issues on certain locations on Kohat and Logar
Fixed Conquest game mode not displaying Conquest on the server browser
Fixed Territory Control displaying incorrect team as the winner
Fixed a number of instances where players could exploit wall geometry and fire through solid objects

We'd like to thank our community for their patience!
Offworld Out!
Posted By: xIGuNDoCIx

Re: Squad Updates - 11/05/15 03:11 AM

v2.1 is out now!

Re: Squad Updates - 12/05/15 09:12 PM

Steam keys went out to the Squad Leader level backers. Everyone else will get their key on the 15th when the game goes live for sale on steam (45$).

V3.0 out as well
http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=67

v3.1 hotfix out (auto updates with steam now, I dont have a fix list for 3.1)
Posted By: Snakeyes

Re: Squad Updates - 12/08/15 07:03 PM

I've been watching some YouTube game play videos for Squad after reading your post. This looks pretty good. It has an open world ArmA feel to it.
Posted By: Sokol1

Re: Squad Updates - 12/14/15 03:29 AM

Posted By: bonchie

Re: Squad Updates - 12/14/15 09:38 PM

It looks good.

Not having Coop is going to hurt it's appeal. Coop is very important to people who play games in this genre.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/14/15 10:32 PM

Riflemen keys went out last night but you cant activate them until it goes live on the 15th at which point you can also buy it on steam.

As for coop. It would be great to have a terrorist style hunt like from ghost recon but im not sure it would fit. This game is designed as adversarial play and just adding bots wouldnt work very well.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/15/15 07:57 AM

I'm going to give Squad a try this morning. Hopefully team up with some players here for some action.
Posted By: Falstar

Re: Squad Updates - 12/15/15 02:38 PM

Thinking about pulling the trigger and getting squad. Missing the DayZ SHQ squad days. Arma3 doesn't do it for me for some reason, can't put my finger on it. Is SHQ TeamSpeak still in operation?
Posted By: Grunt0331

Re: Squad Updates - 12/15/15 03:29 PM

Not trying to be a douche, but $40 for an early access game with no co-op, no single player, no bots, etc. Seems a bit steep to me for what is being offered.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/15/15 03:41 PM

Will there ever be a single player mode? That's is a deciding factor I should consider.
Posted By: sharpe26

Re: Squad Updates - 12/15/15 03:51 PM

Grunt, thats what a lot of people are commenting about. If you consider what's in the game vs to what is going to be,it feels a little expensive.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/15/15 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Falstar
Thinking about pulling the trigger and getting squad. Missing the DayZ SHQ squad days. Arma3 doesn't do it for me for some reason, can't put my finger on it. Is SHQ TeamSpeak still in operation?

Hi Falstar,

Yes, SimHQ Teamspeak is available. Check the Daily News page for the TS viewer and channel activity. You could use TS to coordinate and get a Team on the same server together. Once you get in the game it has ample ways/channels to communicate, both text and voice. I like the concept of Squad, but it is early access and it has a good ways to go to get fleshed out. Currently, there are no vehicles at all. It is all infantry boots on the ground TvT game play.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/15/15 04:16 PM

Thanks guys! Maybe I will wait. Might the price go up to $60 after release? Where will the price breaks fall. I do think $40 is a little high compared to the other previews. It's not like I'm not busy enough with Fallout4 and War Thunder. I even fired up DayZ yesterday. Some nice changes again, Lady Zeds are back. I like how the quarries have bull dozers and backhoes. Some of the cities have been changed again. Actually for the better!

Re: Squad Updates - 12/15/15 05:07 PM

I doubt the price would go up to $60 for what it is, but I don't see it dropping below $40 anytime soon since the product is at the beginning of its life cycle. It might be smart to wait awhile. I just got off a training server and it's total chaos. Players TKing, etc. No chance to learn anything except how to hit the Give Up button when you are wounded and down. LOL!

BTW, Happy Birthday! Mine was yesterday.
Posted By: Mpkev

Re: Squad Updates - 12/17/15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Snakeyes
I doubt the price would go up to $60 for what it is, but I don't see it dropping below $40 anytime soon since the product is at the beginning of its life cycle. It might be smart to wait awhile. I just got off a training server and it's total chaos. Players TKing, etc. No chance to learn anything except how to hit the Give Up button when you are wounded and down. LOL!

played for about 7 hours yesterday, not one intentional Team kill . every game i played was well organized team work affair. and that is a friggin rarity in today's FPS's this game yet still early in development had probably been the most fun ive ever had in a tactical game. the amount of willingness for people to work as a team and attack objectives like in the real military is stunning to say the least.

The sounds, and actions of this game actually gave me flashbacks to Afghanistan , no other game yet has done this to me.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/17/15 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Mpkev
Originally Posted By: Snakeyes

played for about 7 hours yesterday, not one intentional Team kill . every game i played was well organized team work affair. and that is a friggin rarity in today's FPS's this game yet still early in development had probably been the most fun ive ever had in a tactical game. the amount of willingness for people to work as a team and attack objectives like in the real military is stunning to say the least.

The sounds, and actions of this game actually gave me flashbacks to Afghanistan , no other game yet has done this to me.

You nailed it! Good summary.
Posted By: akdavis

Re: Squad Updates - 12/24/15 03:42 PM

http://www.pcgamer.com/squad-is-an-exceptional-military-shooter-so-far/

Been playing for a week or so. Generally agree with the review, but I have to say experience can either be exceptional if you get on a server with high levels of cooperation, or total sh!t if you encounter the opposite.
Posted By: Gunnyhighway

Re: Squad Updates - 12/29/15 08:01 PM

I joined a squad led by "PhysicsXX". This guy must have been a pro at one point in his life because he knew what to tell us and when to say it and had a great appreciation of the terrain. In the midst of that unforgiving hurling chaos, there was a little feeling of safety in that fragile soap airbubble. Some barking orders could be heard here and there from behind a couple of dried mud walls or from inside a structure. Once in a while a burp, a fart irrupted and more detonations, machineguns growling, explosions and tiny cracks above heads rips the atmosphere again. None of those sound signals felt like they were recorded in an underground shooting range facility, it was live.

I got triggered and felt joy, excitement, sadness, fear, doubts, I even laughed under fire and chuckled at my own clumsiness. I also experienced latency, brought back to revisit old memories. I felt young again and then heavy and old again.

So in all the FPS I played the last 25 years, for all the Arma's packed with attitude loaded gamers, the Ghost Recons with flying reticules and the likes, I would not trade for an adrenaline rush in "Squad", when well led and under fire.

"Squad" delivers what its name said it would, the experience of a squad at it worst precarious situation, but at its best of the human spirit position under pressure. It almost felt like being in the corps, but that would be stretching it a little!...It is right on the $39.99.

Personally, I don't care that there is no-coop, no single players, etc…It is supposed to tell the story of a squad in Afghanistan, not to tell the story of the comfort one feels when home, playing "catch me if you can before I hit you", with one hand on the controller and the other shoving a pizza slice down his throat.

Hoo-yah!
Posted By: Ratcatcher

Re: Squad Updates - 12/31/15 08:59 AM

Nicely put Gunny, and I also totally agree with AK's thoughts. Many of my games have been absolutely terrific, others not so. Some sadly have been outright awful ( though I'm glad to say those are a minority ).

All in all, this game is "the" game I have looked for in providing an intense military style shooter experience that actually makes you feel your fighting with others and has moments of intensity that has been sadly lacking from many other games I have tried.

The fact that this is very early in development just makes me smile and hope they can continue to raise the bar.

Re: Squad Updates - 01/01/16 12:36 AM

Happy new years guys and many more to come your way!...Stay in the fight!
Posted By: kestrel79

Re: Squad Updates - 01/03/16 11:29 PM

What server are you guys playing on? Picked it up with some Steam cash. Loved PR, this feels very similar and will only get better with time. Hope to see some of you guys online. I'm pretty bad but love playing. Like others have said it gives you a feeling of a real fire fight like no other fps game I've played, just like PR did many years ago.

Re: Squad Updates - 02/04/16 05:55 PM

Jan/Feb Updates

Read more here: http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=75

Re: Squad Updates - 02/04/16 06:58 PM

Re: Squad Updates - 02/04/16 07:43 PM

Came here to post about this wink

here is the progress update link and the patch notes

January Update
http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=75

v4 Patch Notes
http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/11691-alpha-4-update/
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Squad Updates - 02/04/16 09:46 PM

Any news when it may include British forces?

Re: Squad Updates - 02/04/16 10:28 PM

I dont think they have really said one way or another yet. I remember hearing they plan to implement then but no time frame. The russians and militia are the only one that had a time frame AFAIK and they are already in game.

Re: Squad Updates - 08/07/16 07:40 PM

Alpha 7 just got release. It contains the first version of vehicles plus quite a few more guns.

http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=108
Posted By: Linebacker

Re: Squad Updates - 08/07/16 10:40 PM

WOW! I'm blown away by the progress that's been made in such a short time! Thanks for the heads up Master.

4.4 GB update! This is going to be a REAL game changer ...

Version 7 Preview

Re: Squad Updates - 08/08/16 12:48 AM

Updating now. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Re: Squad Updates - 08/08/16 03:06 AM

Tried it. When I get into a vehicle it goes to this close up 3rd person view staring at the back of my neck.

When I get out of the vehicle it stays that way. Either a bug or something with my setup.

This was on the firing range.

EDIT: It's a bug that only happens on the range. Too tired to try any real games tonight. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Re: Squad Updates - 08/08/16 03:52 AM

Played it for a few hours today. The vehicles really add a lot to the game IMO. Also they added in the hold shift to zoom weapon a few patches back. That also really makes the game a lot better than when it first came out.

Still not as smooth as some other games. they need to get their ADS system more refined. If you have it on hold to ADS and you run then stop you have to let off the right mouse button and reapply. That is annoying.
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Squad Updates - 08/08/16 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: bonchie
Tried it. When I get into a vehicle it goes to this close up 3rd person view staring at the back of my neck.

When I get out of the vehicle it stays that way. Either a bug or something with my setup.

This was on the firing range.

EDIT: It's a bug that only happens on the range. Too tired to try any real games tonight. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I updated last night but haven't tried yet.
A mate mentioned that same bug, apparently you need to hit "Shift + P" once or twice. This is a dev command to reset view to 1st person.
Can't hurt to test.

Off for bizz trip this afternoon, just my luck.

Cheers,
Slug

Re: Squad Updates - 11/07/16 12:15 AM

I just noticed Alpha 8 was released on Nov 1st ... almost 4 gigs for the update focused on optimizations! ...

http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=123

Re: Squad Updates - 11/08/16 12:00 PM

Free weekend and sales (50% OFF) November, 10 to 14.

https://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=128

Re: Squad Updates - 11/10/16 08:59 PM

Free weelkend

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393380?snr=1_41_4__42
Posted By: Amaroq

Re: Squad Updates - 11/11/16 07:18 AM

Am I correct in assuming it's heavily reliant on voice comms?

While I appreciate the attempt at realism, I share a dwelling with my young offspring and a lady who claims I made some quite broad and fundamental commitments a few years ago, so I can't really play games that have me yelling contact reports in the room next door at 11pm at night.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/11/16 06:02 PM

Yes and no. As a commander its a must ( though some try without, though it usually doesnt end well... )

As a squad player it helps a lot, but you could get away with some brief reports ( though your other half might get concerned if you start screaming "I need a medic!!!"

You can also type to squad,local, etc.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/11/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Ratcatcher
Yes and no. As a commander its a must ( though some try without, though it usually doesnt end well... )

As a squad player it helps a lot, but you could get away with some brief reports ( though your other half might get concerned if you start screaming "I need a medic!!!"

You can also type to squad,local, etc.

Thanks, I'll give it a try then. I'm used to chat and use it a lot, but as much as I would have loved voice comms fifteen years ago, it's just not viable.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/11/16 10:28 PM

As its a free weekened it would be worth giving it a shot ( no pun inteneded ).

If you could get away with having a mike and using normal to low ocnversation levels it would certainly be better. Calling out a contact is a lot easier than typing it!

The other thing I mostly use the mike for is thanking medics for patching me up. That could done by text and even to acknowledge orders would be possible.

SL that dont have ( or use ) a mike tend to get kicked and some squads will have "Mike only" on their squad screen so its easy to avoid those ones.

Worth a try at any rate.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/12/16 08:39 AM

Yeah thanks. I gave it a spin and I'm sticking with ArmA. Great effort and foundation but the Gameplay doesn't 'naturally' fall into a somewhat realistic and tactical mood IMO. The infrastructure is there to make it so with a dedicated group and all but a quick random game is just Counterstrike with big maps it seems. Everybody was on full auto, grenade and RPG spamming all over the place, TKs galore, sly guys camping and sniping the spawn points and others bunny hopping around the maps lobbing bullets, grenades and RPGs around or hijacking vehicles for seemingly no purpose.

I'm sure is a great game but it obviously requires a high degree of dedication to organized play on the side of all the players to 'work'. I can see why they would kick people with no voice comms, the game completely falls apart unless ever single player is dedicated to making it tactical.

With ArmA and even Insurgency or project Argo I seem to find a much higher level of tactical gameplay in random games that I can play when I have an hour to burn. But maybe that's just the my experience so far. I'm sure I caught some bad games too, but it illustrates the issue regardless.

I may still buy it to support the the effort, and I'll give it another spin this evening evening maybe. I'm sure coming from BF2 it's a godsend, coming from ArmA... A little less so.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/12/16 10:22 AM

Hmm, thats interesting as I had exactly the same opinion of Arma in multi player. No coordination, etc. Which is why I have kind of steered across to squad.

Don't get me wrong, I have had some really poor games in squad, a lot depends on the team leader and how they manage the squad. It probably doesn't help having played on the free weekend ( which I know sounds contradictory ) as you will have had a lot of new players who haven't got a clue.

Since I have been playing it I have had very few instances of people TK'ing or bunny hopping. The comment about spawn camping... if you mean on a particular squad rally point or FOB, well that means its been over run and the SL needs to set a new RP or FOB in a safe area for the squad to respawn on..

Sorry to hear you have had such a poor experience though, I would be interested in hearing which servers you use in Arma though as I would love to have a good multi player experience there and would be happy to give it a go again.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/12/16 01:52 PM

You tried it during a free weekend probably loaded with casual players who won't even buy it. You aren't going to get a feel for how normal games are in that situation.

I haven't played Squad in a few months, but there is teamwork and people sticking to their squads in every single game I played. Every now and then you'd get a bad squad leader, but usually they are talking and organizing. And if you went rogue, you'd get kicked in most cases.

Choose a good server. Tactical Gamer for example.

I play Arma3 COOP twice a week so I love Arma3, but Squad demolishes it from a PvP standpoint.

PS, they aren't spawn camping. That's part of the gameplay. Besides taking victory points, each side hunts for and destroys enemy FOB's to stop reinforcements in an area. You don't spawn on an FOB that's being attacked.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/12/16 02:37 PM

PS, they aren't spawn camping. That's part of the gameplay. Besides taking victory points, each side hunts for and destroys enemy FOB's to stop reinforcements in an area. You don't spawn on an FOB that's being attacked.

Yeah, I meant that as in 'random dude doing his random thing'. People were running all over doing whatever. Stealing trucks, tossing grenades, hosing the area with the MG, sniping. At some point a BTR came bouncing in. It was like coming back to an unsupervised kid's party after three hours. biggrin I realize a lot of this is due to the influx on the free weekend, but my point is the game didn't seem to encourage tactical gameplay much.

I might give it another try, but ArmA is familiar and deep, and Argo now distils that depth into some really tight gameplay, so Squad needs to hit a home run for me I guess and it may just not be for me at this point, especially with the high level of commitment it seems to require to play it in the desired way.

Thanks for the inputs though!

Re: Squad Updates - 11/12/16 08:33 PM

This weekend is worse than any other time I have played. Must be all the free people causing chaos. Still I enjoy the game and glad I backed it a long time ago.
Posted By: rezerekted

Re: Squad Updates - 11/14/16 12:03 PM

I bought Squad two days ago and like it. It was nothing like COD for me, it is very much like Insurgency but on much larger maps and with some vehicles to drive. I like it better than Insurgency due to larger maps but both are good games.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/15/16 12:16 AM

With as many people that now have it, we should see about having an official session. You don't need a server. We just all meet up on TS and find a server to play on and create our own squad.

I haven't played it in months but if we all organized a night, I'd play.
Posted By: Fudge93

Re: Squad Updates - 11/15/16 11:25 AM

Me and Tempus would likely be up for a session as well. I've been playing with another, less tactically minded friend on public servers and it seems great fun with the right squad. I will say that we have to time joining a server just right, we tried a few with 10+ slots and they were full before we got in. Almost empty servers with only around 10 players seem to fill pretty quickly as well, with almost no servers in between!

With as many people that now have it, we should see about having an official session. You don't need a server. We just all meet up on TS and find a server to play on and create our own squad.

Posted By: kestrel79

Re: Squad Updates - 11/15/16 02:00 PM

I'd be in for an official session, post here when you want to do one. My band has a few weekends off coming up I'll try to make it.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/15/16 05:42 PM

I'd be up to join in as I have been enjoying playing recently.
Posted By: JG26 vonVampr

Re: Squad Updates - 11/16/16 05:31 AM

I picked it up over the weekend and have been playing it ever since. I really enjoy it when on the right team with the right leader. I'd be down to play as well. Linebacker and I have played it together some and I'm sure he'd be interested as well.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/16/16 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: gongo2k1
Things have settled down a bit since the free weekend ended. There are still some silly people who bought the game just to grief everyone, but it's mostly just newer players (like me) still learning the ropes and honestly wanting to play well.

Last night I had a good game but realized that it wouldn't have been very exciting to watch, so I deleted the video. We took a point in AAS, swept the area for hostiles, and built an FOB and ammo crate while the rest of the team pushed the next point. We had a couple squads harass us here and there, but we were able to set up some defenses and coordinate a logistics truck to resupply us. Then the point ahead of us fell and suddenly all hell broke loose as we were holding back the enemies' push, wave after wave.

Oddly enough, the fighting at the end was pretty annoying. I really liked playing defense and building stuff. The best games have been ones where I'm on FOB building detail, lol. Something very satisfying about running around with a shovel franticly building sandbags and hescos while bullets and RPGs are hitting closer and closer.

I was born to be a grunt. ready

Yeah, I don't mind playing "Bob the Builder" from time to time, but I didn't really get Squad to mirror Mindcraft, lol. I love the fire fights and CQC sweeping and defending villages. The battles can be loud, exciting and VERY intense. I'll try and record some this week, wish I had done some recording of a few fights that were very intense and had my heart pumping for quite a while.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/21/16 05:27 AM

6700 views of this thread yet this is my view of SimHQ’s interest in ANY sort of tactical shooter ...

It definitely ain’t happnin’ here fellas.

Maybe try SQUAD OPS ... http://www.squadops.gg/

Re: Squad Updates - 11/21/16 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Linebacker

6700 views of this thread yet this is my view of SimHQ’s interest in ANY sort of tactical shooter ...

It definitely ain’t happnin’ here fellas.

Maybe try SQUAD OPS ... http://www.squadops.gg/

Ah yep, you hit the nail on the head, it ain't happening here at all. Did you join the website yet? Didn't see you signed up for Wed. Op and it's getting full so you better hurry. You will also have to have Discord up and running and use push-to-talk mic only. I'll try to catch you later tonight if you're online.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/21/16 11:17 PM

Ok, I'm registered for the Wednesday Op. Squad Ops is definitely a great find Vamp ... thanks for dropping me the line on it.

Maybe see you later tonight on SimHQ TS so you can give me some pointers on it and Discord and whatever else.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/22/16 02:36 PM

Also there is a simhq discord channel where we play games together. Might be worth poping in there and seeing if anyone is online to play with when you sit down to play squad.

Linebacker,

www.discordapp.com

Then register an account with your email. Your email is your username but you can change your display name on each server you are connected to with /nick

once you have registered an account and youre are logged in, look in the bottom left. There is a circle with a + sign. Click that and input the "invite codes" for the servers you want to join.

For simhq it is https://discord.gg/0m2XEcx3ywjsGkFt
for squadops it is https://discordapp.com/invite/0xEQMnVYdqZaQtAS

technically you just need to input the hash code at the end.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/22/16 04:24 PM

Thanks for the SimHQ discord invite Master but I'm not really into general gaming.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/27/16 04:50 AM

So in a nutshell, Squad Ops (http://www.squadops.gg/) runs a tight ship full of GREAT tactical shooting! 70 players (35 per side)!

I played my first op last Wednesday and had a blast! It can get pretty intense and disorienting due to the dynamic nature of the custom missions, even within the confines of the 9 man squad, but I was pretty much smiling ear to ear all the way. A lot of the “higher ups” in the organization really seem to know their sh*t.

Re: Squad Updates - 11/27/16 09:54 AM

Sounds great, unfortunately I haven't had much success joining their forum as it asks for my steam ID, but for what ever reason, its not being recognized.

I know its definitely the right one as I have copy/pasted it in and gone on to other sites which display Steam ID info and it shows up correctly there. Might try again today, because that really sounds a great experience!

EDIT - Please disregard the above. Just tried again and its all good!

Re: Squad Updates - 12/01/16 04:08 AM

A couple of Squad Ops screenshots from last night ...

BLUFOR briefing (with full directional audio of course) ...

Beautiful yet foggy day in the neighborhood ...

Here's the op ... not sure how long it'll be here ...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YPx-UQ2046Dme2Nsv2D1IyvklChdxonpJn8oVyoK7pc/edit

I should mention to the tactical simulation purists that these are one life missions. You cannot be revived if you're critically injured. When you're dead you're dead ... but you still have a great spectator mode. smile

Re: Squad Updates - 12/01/16 03:21 PM

These have been the best times I've ever had in online gaming doing these missions. I've done seven "Ops" I believe so far and had a great time at every one of them. The "one life" rule is what really sets it apart from other games and the focus on tactical movement and planning make it seem so real. Knowing that there is no respawn really does change the way people play, as not dying becomes very important not only in regards to the amount of ingame play time you'll see, but also to your team as every man in the fight is important and losing them hobbles your side.

Anyone that likes FPS, but hates the Counter Strike style twitch respawn fests with griefer kids spawn camping and TKing will really appreciate the experience here.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Squad Updates - 12/01/16 08:51 PM

I've played plenty of games with a one life rule before, including OFP, R6, and Arma, most notably Ghost Recon.
In theory you could get injured and continue to fight, but I'd say 3/4 of the time you got shot in the head and died instantly, and there was no healing or respawning. GR could be tough.

Well, if there were few human players you could maybe spawn into one of the AI that still lived, but all too often they died before you did. smile

For many games it's just a mission-level or mode-level setting as to whether you can come back. If people choose not to use it, that's on them, not the game.

The Jedi Master

Re: Squad Updates - 12/02/16 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: JG26 vonVampr
These have been the best times I've ever had in online gaming doing these missions. I've done seven "Ops" I believe so far and had a great time at every one of them. The "one life" rule is what really sets it apart from other games and the focus on tactical movement and planning make it seem so real. Knowing that there is no respawn really does change the way people play, as not dying becomes very important not only in regards to the amount of ingame play time you'll see, but also to your team as every man in the fight is important and losing them hobbles your side.

Anyone that likes FPS, but hates the Counter Strike style twitch respawn fests with griefer kids spawn camping and TKing will really appreciate the experience here.

+1

Ya, definitely good that the admins at Squad Ops chose to enforce the “one life” rule ... I guess most other younger players would call it an “old school” or “hardcore” notion these days. smile

The Events Calendar on their website is great too ... being able to quickly sign up for events, check the roster, etc.

I love the Discord tie in as well ... that thing works really well to keep the community up to date ... and the voice comms seem great too, even with upwards of what ... 70, 80, 90 guys on?

I mentioned to them last week that they have a good thing going there. thumbsup

Re: Squad Updates - 12/02/16 02:11 PM

Does sound really great. But for whatever reason I'm failing miserably to sign up to their forums. I have got onto their discord but when I try and register on the forums it's just not having my steam ID.

I'm away this weekend but will try again when I get home. But am stumped as to what I'm doing wrong.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/02/16 05:11 PM

Hey Rat, are you using your steam 64 i.d. or the regular steam i.d.? They're after the steam 64 if you're using the regular one that may be the issue.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/04/16 05:44 PM

Hey JG thanks for the heads up (although I'm sure I had tried the 64 version previously) it now works!

So thanks again for the assist!

Just got to work out how to particpate... is it by going through the forums or joining a discord channel?

Re: Squad Updates - 12/05/16 12:34 AM

It's both really. Just join the discord, join the website and you can sign up/register for any of the open events. If you attend their SOTT course you can also then attend the closed ops as well. The course takes an hour, and just makes sure that you understand the basics so there's no confusion during an op.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/05/16 02:50 AM

Update - Wip, animations, new "toys", effects:

http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=135

Re: Squad Updates - 12/05/16 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By: JG26 vonVampr
It's both really. Just join the discord, join the website and you can sign up/register for any of the open events. If you attend their SOTT course you can also then attend the closed ops as well. The course takes an hour, and just makes sure that you understand the basics so there's no confusion during an op.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I will have a go this week. thumbsup

Re: Squad Updates - 12/05/16 03:20 PM

Those ground explosions look amazing.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/10/16 02:32 PM

smile

Need some delay in sound...

Re: Squad Updates - 12/11/16 12:06 AM

Yup, pretty nice explosions! I grabbed this vid last Wednesday at the Squad Ops event ...

I like it because the shot just before the killer shot just kinda started the truck on fire ... then the final shot came in and just blew it to smithereens. smile (The high value targets were actually the two trucks behind the log piles)

I can’t say enough good things about Squad Ops (http://squadops.gg/) at this point ... it’s the most active gaming community I’ve ever experienced ... I mean, just for tonight’s event (Saturday) there are 70 people signed up and 30 in reserve!!! ... http://squadops.gg/operations/Operation:%20Nightmare/199/roster

Re: Squad Updates - 12/12/16 03:06 AM

They do really need to work on their sound delay though. It makes it feel fake to see those explosions and hear immediately the effects.

Re: Squad Updates - 12/12/16 05:14 AM

I personally couldn't care less in game but this could very well be an admin view anomaly. All kinds of crazy crap happens in the spectator (admin) view.

Re: Squad Updates - 03/19/17 08:39 PM

Re: Squad Updates - 03/20/17 08:01 PM

I played quite a bit last night. V9 is really good. Make sure you delete your app data folder and let the game rebuild it. They changed the way the graphics settings work and added some stuff so if you go in with your old app data it can cause problems with the game.

c:/user/appdata/local/squad or something like that.
Posted By: Craterman

Re: Squad Updates - 03/22/17 01:58 PM

I played quite a bit last night. V9 is really good. Make sure you delete your app data folder and let the game rebuild it.

Hey, Master, I didn't do that. Can you do that at anytime after the update is installed??

Re: Squad Updates - 03/22/17 05:05 PM

I did not want to spoil the joy of discovering!...

Re: Squad Updates - 03/22/17 05:14 PM

I haven't played in a while.

I originally loved it. Then I came back to try out the vehicles update and the player base seems to of changed quite a bit. Half my squad was AWOL, none of the squads were coordinating a master plan, and lots of people trying to run and gun.

Re: Squad Updates - 03/22/17 06:26 PM

wow!...That is very unsettling!...Generally players are squad minded with a strong tactical knowledge of combat. Hmmm! Interesting remarks there!

Re: Squad Updates - 03/22/17 06:28 PM

You still get that every now and then. I played maybe 30 rounds since release and i'd say about 20% of those were uncoordinated people with no real plan. But to me some of those were more fun than being yelled at because I wasnt magically doing exactly what some random self appointed military genius thought was the only right thing to do.

Re: Squad Updates - 03/22/17 06:38 PM

Right!...Boot camp is over!

Re: Squad Updates - 03/22/17 06:51 PM

One of the reasons I try to play insurgents is that all the people who really care about winning and are obnoxious about it tend to go US for acogs or russian. Insurgent is now my favorite side even though we lose 90% of the time.

I think that will probably end up being the case with the new Red Orchestra Vietnam as well.

Re: Squad Updates - 03/22/17 07:08 PM

I'm sure it's still all good depending on the server.

My experience was some random sessions on whatever server I could get on. Back in the early days, you only had 5-6 servers around capacity and everything was really tactical. Now it's more hit or miss. The servers where it's more strictly policed (and there's an admin watching) are a better experience IMO.

Re: Squad Updates - 04/06/17 06:41 PM

Phew, it's on sale again... Not a very encouraging read here. I kind of feared as much, but I guess I'll install it again and see for myself. I don't need super-tactical, but the total anarchy I encountered last time put me off.

Re: Squad Updates - 04/06/17 07:07 PM

It is also a free weekend and they added a server queue which is a huge bonus.

http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=155

You get a good match about as often as you get a bad match. You know about 5 min in if it will be a #%&*$# show or not but by then all the good squads are filled up and you are stuck with the idiots.

Re: Squad Updates - 04/10/17 02:46 AM

Was indeed a bit of a chaos with the free weekend - mucho gun & run. Play style is usually much more well-planned.
My humble rule of thumb with Squad : if upon joining in I do not hear the Squad Leader doing a simple com check on all members or barking orders, I simply bail out and try another squad.
Sometimes a tad irritating in the first 2 mins but generally works like a charm.

Squad can be brilliant, and it is most of the time, particularly once you know which servers gather the right crowd !

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: Hammer*

Re: Squad Updates - 04/12/17 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sluggish Controls
My humble rule of thumb with Squad : if upon joining in I do not hear the Squad Leader doing a simple com check on all members or barking orders, I simply bail out and try another squad. Slug

Good idea Sluggish, I play a few games this weekend and 2 yesterday. Got into a game yesterday and no one talked at all, everyone pretty much followed the SL and played well but no orders, coordination etc. I thought it was a sound bug until the match ended and everyone started talking. Next game lots of talking but all in French :O One game was great, at launch the SL actual told everyone what vehicle to get in and told the drivers where to go.
I havent looked yet but hope there is a way to save favorite servers.

Re: Squad Updates - 04/12/17 06:08 PM

With the new queue, I just go to a server I know is good and wait to get on. Usually tactical gamer.

Re: Squad Updates - 05/04/17 04:34 AM

ALPHA 9.4 is Out, and getting sexier !

https://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=162

The mortars are a great addition. Super FOBs are not so super anymore biggrin

Cheers,
Slug

Re: Squad Updates - 05/04/17 04:55 AM

the IEDs are fun as well. You can actually stick them on people and have them run up and blow up vehicles. That will probably be patched out but it is still funny.

Re: Squad Updates - 05/04/17 05:08 AM

Really, this will be patched out? Thought it had been introduced on purpose for Insurgents !
I've been too slow and on the wrong end a couple of times.

IEDs can apparently also be mounted on vehicles. Drive full speed into a compound and get a mate to dial in at the opportune moment... I have not seen it myself.

Cheers,
Slug

Re: Squad Updates - 05/04/17 05:12 AM

the vehicle thing probably was intentional but you can place an IED on top of a player who is ducked down and when they stand up the IED kind of gets tuck inside their body and they act as a mobile remote mine. I really dont think the devs did that intentional lol.

If they dont patch it out though that will be a nice addition. In the PR version of the game there was a civilian role that the other side lost points for shooting unless they had an ied or weapon in hand. It was always nice to see the civs just standing on top of a building giving intel to teammates and noone could shoot them without losing points lol.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums