homepage

Takedown out now on Steam (nt)

Posted By: Magnum

Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 05:09 PM

no text
Posted By: Mace71

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 05:22 PM

Anyone tried it yet? I cancelled my pre-order in case it was a turkey.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 05:28 PM

was changing options, it locked up on me... trying again. wink

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 06:01 PM

ahhh, id wait for other comments... maybe I got a pre-alpha, lol... some low standards of a tactical shooter here, I thought this was a tactical shooter, lol... first 3 attempts with errors before I finally got into a mission... started a mission my AI teammate behind me shot me in the head, lol... enemy don't really seem to move, even when your engaging there friends in the next room. Movement is slow and cumbersome, it's like someone slammed a corncob up my ass before mission. A couple of times I shot a bad guy point blank and nothing. The 1st mission objective is defuse 3 bombs and kill bad guys, but had no clue where or what these bombs looked like, never saw one, unless I missed it.

Piss poor first impressions with this game. Not even worth 15 bucks... Some of our SimHQ brothers can program games better then this "expert".

IMO, based on only 3 mission attempts.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 06:08 PM

Oh dear, glad I got my money back. Shame.
Posted By: FearlessFrog

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 06:21 PM

Well, that's a quote for the cover for sure..

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Well, that's a quote for the cover for sure..

LOL biggrin

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 06:44 PM

Just in case people think I might be being too cruel with the joke cover image above, here's some gameplay:

Posted By: Apocalypse31

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 06:56 PM

I will consider this a $14 donation to the team. They have their minds in the right place, and I think with some polish (alot of it) they can turn this into something decent.

Right now its bad...just plain bad.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 07:09 PM

They should really mark it better on the Steam Store. There is an 'Early Access' flag that changes the storefront and it must be a mistake that this doesn't use it, i.e. this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236510/

vs

http://store.steampowered.com/app/241540/

..with the latter much more obvious it's 'not done'.

I'm fine with betas, kickstarters etc just as long as everyone knows the score and what they are getting into.
Posted By: Bahger

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 07:13 PM

Fantastic vid, Fearless, what a great choice of soundtrack. The movie is more worth $15 dollars than this sad-ass game.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 08:03 PM

This does look awful. Glad my spidey sense got me to get a refund a while back.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 08:18 PM

Yeah, Mace, well done. You're like the guy who bought shares in Apple in 1984...but the other way round.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 08:27 PM

Well, that is a misfire... I should know better NOT to pre purchase any game in these days. Such a shame...

At least the devs are working on a patch. But still I think this one will only be playable in coop mode. The AI is non-existent.
Posted By: Bumfluff

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 10:15 PM

Just had a go. It's actually quite refreshing and fun. Sure there are some rough edges but it's FIFTEEN DOLLARS. Some sandwiches cost that nowadays.
Posted By: Jeevz

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 10:54 PM

After watching that video, I'd go with the sandwich.
Posted By: BadKarma1001

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/20/13 11:04 PM

Funny how the "fanbois" on the serellan forum defending this "game".
Imho this game seems to be broken in the core. I guess the devs had good intentions but went way over their had with this project.
This whole mess reminds me of "Breach". Small team, big ambition, broken game from release on. They released a few patches and a few months after release there where no servers left for playing the game!

Makes me some kind of sad that the Ground Branch devs didnīt reached their kickstarter goal!
Posted By: Tigerwulf

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 12:00 AM

Well at least I got my name in the credits rolleyes

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 09:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Tigerwulf
Well at least I got my name in the credits rolleyes

Lucky you!!1 winkngrin

Maybe the devs get the game fixed but my spider senses tell me that they will abandon the game pretty fast!

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 01:46 PM

The problem I have with the whole situation, is how they kick started it as the game to go back to the tactical game of yester-year, and then we get this crap... if they would of said, "hey were going to make our own version of counter-strike, you know, with weapon sights and all" then I would understand... but they advertised this from the beginning as going back to the roots of a tactical shooter... even when it was revealed it wouldn't be a AAA title but a 15 buck title, they still said it would be a true tactical shooter, just not as large scale... pure BS.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 03:09 PM

a video review I agree with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33nwsDyL7Yo

Posted By: HogDriver

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 03:32 PM

Did anyone here play "The Sum of all Fears" a decade ago? It was better and more tactical than this...

I never learn with games. I was THIS close to not buying this, bit I caved as soon as I saw it was available. I'm a sucker for tactical shooters, but this is definitely not one of those. banghead

Definitely not worth $15, even as a "donation". Going to be avoiding any games by this guy from now on.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 03:51 PM

From all the videos I've seen all the doors are open (except for those lab ones that slide) so there is no real need for breaching charges and the AI see you immediately.

I see on their forums the dev has said they are working on fixes but looks to me like the core game is pretty crappy anyway and doesn't look anything like the videos they showed before launch...

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 03:55 PM

This one is hopeless as the core gameplay is just BAD. It would need to be completely redone to fix it in my opinion.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 04:22 PM

http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2988-kris-on-kickstarter-and-the-release/

Now the Ground Branch devs defending this game.
Not a smart move imho and Kris comes of as arrogant. If they think a release like this is okay i wounder in what kind of state their game is?

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 04:33 PM

I REALLY hate that we are in a world where people consider it ok for companies to release games in this state and to say "It's only been out for XX days/hours, give them some months to sort it out!!!!". This exactly why releases like this happen over and over because they churn out unfinished crap and know people will say the above.

Before the net we got a game and it was a perfect, finished product and it worked as intended now it's almost expected that games are released half finished and with a massive patch at release to sort out problems that should have never been there.
Posted By: Tigerwulf

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: BadKarma1001
http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2988-kris-on-kickstarter-and-the-release/

Not a smart move imho and Kris comes of as arrogant. If they think a release like this is okay i wounder in what kind of state their game is?

I agree completely BadKarma, if this is seen as acceptable then I don't want to support that title either

Quote:
-snip- Keep this ###### up and people like Christian, and dare I say it, me, will tell you all to go ###### yourself next time you whinge about there being no tactical FPS games or innovation left in gaming.

If this is what they class as innovation or a tactical FPS I don't want to see anything by them anyway!!!
Posted By: Taosenai

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 05:23 PM

I Kickstarted this and I remain hopeful that it will get better. I won't be Kickstarting anything else...

My real question is: how did this guy ever work at Bungie? Bungie are masters of polish... every single gameplay element of every Halo game, from the move speed to the scope zoom time to the turn rates, was perfectly tuned to deliver exactly the right experience.

I know Serellan isn't Bungie, but I don't know how a team led by a former Bungie game designer could ever let a game release this way.
Posted By: Bumfluff

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 10:06 PM

kris says in his post he uninstalled takedown after 30 mins. Read what he says.

His argument is that these guys got off their backside and had a go and should be given the benefit of the doubt. The result to date might not be world beating, but if people keep up the abuse no small developers will bother try building anything that breaks from the current call of duty rail shooter sh@t.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/21/13 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bumfluff

kris says in his post he uninstalled takedown after 30 mins. Read what he says.

His argument is that these guys got off their backside and had a go and should be given the benefit of the doubt. The result to date might not be world beating, but if people keep up the abuse no small developers will bother try building anything that breaks from the current call of duty rail shooter sh@t.

Nope imho they donīt deserve the benefit of the doubt because they havenīt accomplished anything yet but making promises in a kickstarter video and a crappy gamerelease. I sincerely hope that serellan getīs their ducks in the row and come out of this mess but i worry that Takedown is broken beyond repair and will be abandoned within 12 months.

I am not a big fan of CoD either but right now i would say that CoD wipes the floor with Takedown in every aspect!
Posted By: TankHunter

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/22/13 12:45 AM

I just hope they sort the issues out with it. That said, it is a 15 dollar game, so expect 15 dollars of value out of it.
Posted By: FlashBurn

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/22/13 01:31 AM

well that is about the boring mess I remember later rainbow sixes being..

It could simply be they ran out of money and had to release now, despite being TOTALLY incomplete. But the weapons look like standard fair BS. Like from the one vid.. I don't need my stinking sights!
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/22/13 02:04 PM

If Serellan had CoD's budget, if he had CoD 1's budget, I dare say T:RS would be a lot better.

This is the SFP1 Walmart release all over again. It's obvious this is unfinished. They got 505 as a publisher and it seems 505 wouldn't give them any more time or money to get it finished and pushed it out the door.

Perhaps what the GB dev is saying is not "this is what you should expect from an indie dev" but rather "this is what indie devs have to deal with when dealing with a publisher."

The Jedi Master

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/22/13 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

Perhaps what the GB dev is saying is not "this is what you should expect from an indie dev" but rather "this is what indie devs have to deal with when dealing with a publisher."

The Jedi Master

You might have a good point there JM.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/22/13 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

The Jedi Master

That may be the case but it could also be that some devs have good intentions and then just donīt the skills to handle a project.
There is for sure pressure from the publishers but imho itīs way to easy blaming publishers for botched releases!
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/23/13 08:14 PM

So far I am not liking the game. I do have an extra key that I am looking to rid myself of. Doubt anyone wants it, but I will sell it for $5. Would rather put my money towards DCS MIG-21 and BF4.
Posted By: Sethos88

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/23/13 10:21 PM

Me and my friend decided to give it a go. What a mess.

Our frustration started before even entering the game; Loadout has to be done in the options menu, then you can select it before entering the game - i.e can't be done on the fly or while waiting in the lobby. Next up, lobby system is rubbish. No way to lock your games so when me and my friend wanted to do a private co-op I had to kick 10-15 people joining. The multiplayer game options are virtually non-existent.

Then we get to the game, realize the loadout is purely suggestive. We got our weapon but with a random assortment of attachment. I picked ironsight but got the holo sight. Took the silencer off, got a silencer. The AI is abysmal. You can just bumrush through the level and they are completely unaware of you ... Next second, there's some robocop able to spot you through walls and will insta-snipe you the second you show but a pixel of your body.

Gunplay rather shoddy, levels are more basic than the original Rainbow Six levels. Poor level selection and generally just a bad game. Just because it's $15 doesn't excuse this, I've bought indie games that were cheaper and way, way better.

This game is, sorry to say it, garbage.

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/23/13 10:39 PM

Agreed. It's a disgrace and it will damage the credibility of future niche shooters looking for Kickstarter cash.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Takedown out now on Steam (nt) - 09/26/13 06:51 PM

Sadly, programming skills and project management skills are not connected. While some people do have both, it's certainly a small minority.

The Jedi Master
© 2024 SimHQ Forums