homepage

So, I Bought MOH...

Posted By: PFunk

So, I Bought MOH... - 12/22/10 04:35 AM

I started the SP campaign this afternoon at three and finished it about ten minutes ago.

And now I want to do it all over again.

It was more entertaining, more gripping, and more emotional for me than COD4, certainly more than that piece of crap MW2. I wanted to finish the campaign. I wanted to see it through. The end broke my heart and it really tells you a small part of the story of what these guys went through in the initial stages of the invasion of Afghanistan.

Politics aside, it was something that 'got' me. I wanted to do more. I wanted to wreak vengeance, but I also felt some sympathy for our brave men and women who went through some of the most horrific events I've ever seen in a game. There were several points in which I kept saying, "oh, no..." and that is the mark of a good game. If you care about what happens to the characters, it's a good game. I knew these guys were real. They really did the things I played in the game.

It was a decent tribute to these folks and it was a riveting game. I have not played COD:BO yet, but as a game, it has a lot to live up to.

pfunk
Posted By: reconmercs

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/22/10 05:22 AM

definitely agree the story was a lot more gripping than the ones in COD, but I think that comes from the fact that the missions are based on fact, the entire campaign is basically inspired by the real campaign in Tora Bora in the early part of Enduring Freedom and the last couple of missions is basically telling you the story of the "Battle of Roberts Ridge"
Posted By: trek

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/22/10 01:49 PM

PFunk, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thought MOH was outstanding! I played it on the XBOX the week it was released and thought it was the most emotional experience I've ever had in a FPS. The graphics, gameplay and sound effects were superb. I also thought the weapon feel and recoil in the game was excellent. The Cobra mission was a hoot! Overall the story with the it's various surprises (some totally unexpected) and progression made me want to keep playing until the very end. And speaking of the ending I also thought the screen going black with Linkin Park's song "The Catalyst" coming in over the credits was a stroke of genius. I'm waiting a suitable amount of time to go by before I play the whole SP game again and I very seldom do that with a FPS.

I find it incredible that many critics gave MOH a lower score than COD Black Ops. I played Black Ops and thought the entire storyline and presentation hokey and derivative. I think they ripped off the premise from Criterion's Black (one of my favorite FPS from the past) with the interview and flashback scenes. I thought the graphics and gameplay was second-rate after playing MOH just a couple weeks before. In fact, i disliked Black Ops so much that I traded it in at GameStop after only playing through a third of the game (something which I've never done before).
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/22/10 04:26 PM

I'm still playing through it but I like it. It's still channeled, but it's not a tightly packed hallway they drive you through. Slow enough that you don't feel rushed through it. Fun variety of things to do even if you don't get any choice of when to do what.
Also I've missed having a single shot option on guns, too many games these days leave that out. Nice to have that in here. The game actually has the long-lost Last Man Standing game type too, I wish more games still offered that these days. Rarely anyone in there unfortunately, but I jump in when I see them.

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/23/10 01:20 AM

OK, played the MP. Don't like it.

pfunk
Posted By: chuckman737

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/23/10 02:22 AM

I agree with PFunk i played MOH SP campaign and loved it better then any CoD game and ive played them all.Hope they come out with another one.
Posted By: Desert_Ranger

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/23/10 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: trek
I find it incredible that many critics gave MOH a lower score than COD Black Ops.

What's so incredible about this?? Critics and reviewers are mostly just a bunch of yes men - if there's a bandwagon to jump on, they will jump on it!! CoD Black Ops is the follow-up to the fastest selling game of all time while MoH hadn't seen anything in 3-4 years....of course critics are going to score it higher!! Just one more example of why critic and reviewer opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Please don't take my comments personally, I'm not jumping on anyone and I'm not defending either game (I have issues with both). I'm just tired of the hype these games are getting these days, I think it's hurting all gaming. I realize this is just my opinion.....there are apparently millions of others who disagree.....

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/23/10 07:42 PM

Just played COD4 and it just doesn't even measure up. MOH is a slower-paced game that at least encourages you to seek cover every now and then.

I put Black Ops on my Christmas list...kinda wondering if I should have now.

pfunk
Posted By: JoeyJoJo

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/24/10 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Desert_Ranger
Originally Posted By: trek
I find it incredible that many critics gave MOH a lower score than COD Black Ops.

What's so incredible about this?? Critics and reviewers are mostly just a bunch of yes men - if there's a bandwagon to jump on, they will jump on it!! CoD Black Ops is the follow-up to the fastest selling game of all time while MoH hadn't seen anything in 3-4 years....of course critics are going to score it higher!! Just one more example of why critic and reviewer opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Please don't take my comments personally, I'm not jumping on anyone and I'm not defending either game (I have issues with both). I'm just tired of the hype these games are getting these days, I think it's hurting all gaming. I realize this is just my opinion.....there are apparently millions of others who disagree.....

I agree...MoH didn't have non-stop commercials on TV, sports promos, or a Land Rover "Black Ops" edition lol! If Treyarch/Activision used the millions of $$ they used for advertising to make a better game they could have made one of the best game ever.
Posted By: ebud

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/31/10 06:08 AM

Really not sure why this game got such bad pub. I played through MW, MW2 and Black Ops recently and I am really enjoying MOH way more with each minute. I'm a few hours in and the Ranger mission last 10 min was some of the most intense gaming I've ever had in my nearly 30+ years of "siming" So far this game is way less "cheesy" than other rail shooters and more immersive than sim shooters.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/31/10 07:31 AM

ebud, where the hell you been, welcome back.

And I agree, if you read my comparison article I thought the SP campaign was better and more intense in MoH over BO.
Posted By: ebud

Re: So, I Bought MOH... - 12/31/10 03:27 PM

Lol, well a few things smile Got married, moved to Florida, got a job doing VBS work so they frowned on doing community work and I became a home owner out in the Florida wilderness. The first and last just kill so much freetime smile Also my PC just can't do ARMA2 but this year I'll be upgrading the PC and changing employment so I'll be getting back into things.

Oh and the 5-6 years of constant never ending modding burned me out dizzy
© 2024 SimHQ Forums