homepage

Future tac-sim: Ground Branch

Posted By: krise madsen

Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 11/05/07 10:11 AM

The intial thread seem to have been lost in the shuffle so I'll start again smile

A new tactical simulation first person shooter is in development: Ground Branch

The title refer to the main protagonists of the game: The clandestine, paramilitary wing of the US Central Intelligence Agency.

It takes place on Sumatra, where local guerillas, backed by Chinese oil interests, are trying to topple the local government, and the Ground Branch team is caught in the middle.

The game is being developed by BlackFoot Studios, an independent developer staffed with veterans from the original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games.

The game is being developed for PC with an intended release date of late 2008. An XBOX 360 version is also planned, pending publisher agreement.

The game is being developed as a real tac-sim shooter (as opposed to the "military-themed action shooter"). And the key is their proprietary design methology: NORG (Natural Order of Realistic Gameplay), an entirely new approach to game design, specifically for realism-type games. Whereas the usual approach to game "realism" is to restrict the actions of the gamer (to avoid unrealistic behavior), NORG sets the gamer free to do as he/she pleases, but in an environment that reacts realitically to the actions of the player.

The game will be a squad-based shooter, with the characters primarily operating on foot in "medium"-sized maps. It has single player, co-op and adversarial multiplayer game types. The developer is exploring new methods for movement and firing weapons, notably to ensure a high degree of realism.

The motto of BlackFoot Studios is : "Do not build you community around a game, build your game around a community". This is practiced on a daily basis on the very lively forum. Where else can you talk directly to the CEO of a games developer? You can at the BlackFoot Studios forums. And if you have a good idea for a game feature, they'll listen. Several "ordinary" forum members have already contributed with ideas that will likely end up in the game.

Links:

The real Ground Branch

Synopsis

FAQ

There is also a number of "teaser" images and a highly informantive newsletter (2 issues so far). But to view those you have to register at the forum, which (of course) is free. I highly recommend you register, as the images and (in particular) the newsletters provide an excellent overview of the game.

I'll update this thread when new info becomes availible.

Respectfully

krise madsen
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 11/05/07 03:46 PM

I'm all for it.

The Jedi Master

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/16/08 03:27 PM

Update:

The 3rd issue of the BlackFoot Studios/Ground Branch Newsletter is now availible. There is more on the storyline in the game as well as an interesting work-in-progress screenshow of how you peek around corners in the game (and it will be very, very cool in the game).

You are required to register on the forum in order to view the newsletter. Registering is of course free. This also gives you access to the forum where the developers take part in the lively discussion (where else does the CEO of a game developer post almost daily?). FYI, the hot forum topics right now includes discussions on how to increase randomness and replayability in single-player/co-op missions, how to make suppressive fire actually work in a multiplayer game, how to aim your weapons (on-screen crosshairs or weapons sights only), to what extent the AI teammates should have their own personalities and behavior, plus a lot more. And of course, the concept of NORG (Natural Order of Realistic Gameplay) is ever increasing in popularity.

Link: BlackFoot Studios

Respectfully

krise madsen
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/16/08 05:26 PM

Ooooooh!

I was *just wondering* about Blackfoot Studios yesterday.
How cool is this?!
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/20/08 03:29 AM

Sumatra...jungles. That should be fun!
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/20/08 06:56 PM

Just registered and read the 3rd news letter. Very impressive work so far, looks like its coming along nicely. Does anyone who whant game engine they're going to use?

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/21/08 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
Just registered and read the 3rd news letter. Very impressive work so far, looks like its coming along nicely. Does anyone who whant game engine they're going to use?

Pretty cool huh?` ;\)

For legal reasons, the game engine a secret so far. It will probably be revealed when a publishing deal is announced. A good bet would be some well-known middle-ware engine. There have been a few confirmations on what engine it isn't : Unreal Engine 2.5 and Diesel (GRAW), plus a few others I forgot.

Respectfully

krise madsen
Posted By: ZJJ_

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/21/08 05:27 PM

I just wanted to stop in here and say "hi." I'm one of the admins at BlackFoot Studio forums. If I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

We are hoping to be able to release the information about what engine we are using real soon. We are working on some major deadlines right now and when they are met, we should be able to discuss the engine and provide additional screenshots.
Posted By: SpyDoc

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/22/08 03:28 AM

Sounds good to the rest of us who are watching...

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/22/08 04:06 PM

Ok, cool. Of course, the only reason we really care about what engine is used is for modding purposes. Otherwise, if it looks great and works great, it could be on Orville Reddenbacher's Pop Engine for all we care. \:\)

The Jedi Master

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/22/08 04:42 PM

BlackFoot Studios are very pro-modding and alledgedly the game will be quite mod-friendly so that shouldn't be an issue. \:\)

Respectfully

krise madsen

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/22/08 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Ok, cool. Of course, the only reason we really care about what engine is used is for modding purposes.

As krise already mentioned, BFS will be providing modding capabilities to the community upon release of the game. With the long time success of GR due to the ability to mod the game, it would be like shooting ourselves in the foot if we didn't provide modding with Ground Branch.

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/23/08 08:08 PM

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Bill_Grant

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/23/08 08:19 PM

Jedi,

You know that we will be getting this, regardless.

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 01/23/08 08:30 PM

I thought some of you may find this interesting.
 Originally Posted By: John Sonedecker
 Quote:
Here's my question: Will there be an animation for the reaction to the hit, the fall, and then the body becomes ragdoll just before it hits the ground, to make it form to terrain?

We have not investigated the full potential of the system yet, but we will most likely have death and hit reaction animations that blend in and out of ragdoll to get the effect we want. It will also most likely go to full ragdoll as it hits the ground to conform to the ground like you mentioned.

One really interesting aspect of this, though not tested by us yet, is that if you are shot when running we can get all kinds of ragdoll reactions to parts of the body, based on the specific hit location... but have the players movement still driven by the animation.

We will be using a combination of both ragdoll and animations. For instance, we can "pin" specific bones on a character while "releasing" others to ragdoll. So if you get shot in the left shoulder say, we can have the entire body controlled by animation except from the left Clavicle down the length of the left arm. That's a simplification because there would be blending going on so the arm doesn't just dangle, but I think you guys get the point.

Originally Posted By: John Sonedecker
 Quote:
Bring back the limp

Without a doubt!

"Ground Branch will have a limp!"

That would be worth it to a lot of people. lol

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 02/28/08 04:53 PM

BlackFoot Studios has released it's 4th newsletter. Here is a snippet from the Q&A.

Quote:
Q: Are you aiming for customization or variety of weapons in the player's inventory?

A: Yes, we are aiming to have base weapons and various attachments to customize as you see fit. Each attachment will have tradeoffs and will have real effects in the game. Nothing is just for show.

Q: What goals are you aiming for with AI? What will be new?

A: To have really good AI! Really. AI is one of those things that I could spout off all kinds of industry buzz words, as everyone else does, but at the end of the day, it’s all the same. We want fully proactive, dynamic and reactive AI. There are also plans to include civilians where ever possible.

To see the entire newsletter, you need to log in (or register if you haven't yet) and click here.

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 03/23/08 10:29 PM

This was recently stated by a member of the BFS forums and has John's response below.

Quote:
I and a lot of people I know DO NOT WANT 3RD PERSON VIEW in FPS GAMES
We DO NOT WANT joystick/joypad support in FPS and RTS games

- We do want respawn enabled in coop FPS games
- We do want STAND ALONE DEDICATED SERVER software that does not need high end graphics card
or physics drivers (when we dont have those cards)
- We do want coop single player story line mode wit EIGHT to 16 player support
(JO and DFX had 64 LAN coop)
- We do want to be able to play using at least a VGA selection of colors
we are STICK and appulaed with the LIMITED colors used in Vegas1 , Vegas 2 , GRAW 1 GRAW2
- We want option to DISABLE and TURN OFF , music , Blur , gloss ,reflections
- We want a way to LIMIT the server from HIGH PING players joining online and ruining
our low ping players game

You WON'T get 3rd person
You WILL get joystick/pad support on PC
You WILL get an option for some sort of respawn
You WILL get proper SADS that do not require high end stuff (physics drivers maybe.. just part of the software to)
You WILL get SP COOP story with AT LEAST 6 players
You WILL get a nice looking experience (All games run in 24bit color now btw...)
You WILL be able to turn off music, Blur, Bloom, Reflection and various other eye candy
You WILL be able to set options for the server to limit the criteria for joining

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 03/27/08 11:37 PM

I applaud your decision for gamepad/jstick support. I know some disabled gamers who cannot use mouse and kb only to play games, and must use a stick for everything. The option is what is important, just as designing it for gamepad use primarily is the common failing for most ports.

The Jedi Master

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 04/16/08 03:15 PM

Newsletter #5 has been released. Here is a snippet from the Q&A.

Click here to read the find the full newsletter and discussion about it. \:D

Quote:
Q: In the GB damage model, is the Blackfoot Studios development team considering immediate effects/punishment when wounded, but also more diverse long-lasting effects depending on the severity and type of injury? Examples?

A: Yes! The primary example would be a limp or semi functional arm. We are also looking into bleeding out and the possible effects that might have.

Q: Will we see the poverty of the Sumatran locals to draw the gamer into the humanitarian side of Ground Branch? If yes how will this be portrayed?

A: You will see environments like that. We are not setting out to bring notice to humanitarian
issues in the world specifically, but if people take notice and have their emotions stirred by
parts of the game, then that is a good thing. We aim to make an engaging experience both
intellectually and emotionally.

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/02/08 03:27 AM

Grupo97 requested an interview from John. It's a spanish site so you can find the interview in English and Spanish.

English

Spanish

Enjoy
Posted By: PositiveG

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/14/08 12:06 PM

"You WON'T get 3rd person".

Why?
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/14/08 12:10 PM

because it's a FIRST person shooter...well thats what I assume... but I do hope they add a good replay tool, Ghost Recon was one of the first with that...pretty cool, but limited, and the ability to issues orders and jump between team mates in SP...GR did so much good stuff back then.
Posted By: Leeman

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/14/08 01:57 PM

Are there any screenshots of this game in action yet? What is the ETA?

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/14/08 02:25 PM

no and unknown... I would GUESS, with the limited info I have...end of 08, more likely 09.
Posted By: Witzbold

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/14/08 03:04 PM

At least a longer release date would allow me more time to save up for having to upgrade this rig for when it hits the shelves. ;D

Seriously looking foward to Ground Branch though.

Got total faith in the BlackFoot Studios team along with Hatchetforce to not let us tactical fans down!

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/14/08 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Leeman

There are various shots and images in this thread, but you do have to be registered and logged in to the forums in order to see them.

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/14/08 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Magnum
because it's a FIRST person shooter...well thats what I assume...

OK Captain Obvious. ;-)

Just that there seems to be so many options listed so far that you can turn off, why not include 3rd for those that like it, but then include an option to disable it for those that don't?
Even for server hosting, allow them to disable it (force 1st) if need be.

Now is it not included because there would be too much work for character animations or is this a "idealogical/religious" decision.

Most games include it today, and after being a 1st person die hard, I kinda liked the field of view you gain in GRAW (360). First person for zoom in, etc. I find 1st person kinda like fighting looking through a straw. I like the wider view of third, and the convenience of first for zoom in or iron sites.

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/14/08 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ZJJ_

There are various shots and images in this thread, but you do have to be registered and logged in to the forums in order to see them.

All I get is;

"IPS Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here "

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/14/08 11:21 PM

I wouldn't want a 3rd person option at all. It takes away the immersion and decreases the realism of the game. It works good for shooters, but not with highly realistic tactical shooters IMO. Especially the "cover system". What happened to leaning around corners? More realistic and does the samething. I wish Rainbow 6 Vegas at least had an option for this, the cover system looks like an immersion killer for me. But, I still might pick it up anyways.

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/15/08 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: +G

All I get is;

"IPS Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here "

We had a hosting issue for a little bit tonight. Please try now.

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/15/08 01:27 AM

Why?

This decision is based on the concept of NORG (Natural Order for Realistic Gaming). As many concepts as possible are based on what things are really like.
Posted By: LeemzHQ

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/15/08 02:18 AM

Pics look good to me.

I'm ok with 1st person only. I only use 3rd person in GRAW once in awhile. Mostly, I prefer 1st person.

So, is there a target date set yet for release??

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/15/08 12:10 PM

Why?

This decision is based on the concept of NORG (Natural Order for Realistic Gaming). As many concepts as possible are based on what things are really like.

OK, then would you consider a field of view adjustment option, 16:9/10 widescreen support, or possibly even including multiple monitor support?

Re: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 05/15/08 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: LeemzHQ
So, is there a target date set yet for release??

Nothing official yet, but we are aiming towards a late 2008/early 2009 release.

@ +G, I'll do some checking about your question. I don't recall off the top of my head what was said about widescreen or multiple screen support.
Posted By: Cadmium77

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 06/22/08 01:21 AM

A very interesting niche game with an attractive concept. But what will make it better than GRAW or any other number of shooters, such as my favorite, BF2 Project Reality Mod?

There will be shooting, there will be stealth, there will be weapons. And God bless you there will apparently be realistically staged clashes; realistic engagement distances and realistic time frames. I assume this will involve some pretty huge maps.

But this is a game that purports to be about CIA assets working on the ground. So just running around shooting stuff may be or should not be that important really.

Gathering data, getting to know the locals, paying out money to rival warlords for support. Realistically such a covert force might never come within small arms range of enemy forces, and would avoid it at all costs.

Is there going to be room for this in your new game? Otherwise what does it bring that is new to the table?

And yeah, I realize I'm asking for A LOT here...like what Operation Flashpoint 2 is promising with interaction with the locals being important for their support or resistance. Really the core of counter insurgency work.
But I'm not just trying to be a jerk. We all long for a more mature and complex game interaction than just slap happy shootemups..as enjoyable as those might be.

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 06/22/08 11:36 AM

Well, we as the gamers don't really know all this yet... I'm sure when we have our Q&A session later this summer, all of this will come to light...

Meanwhile, read a book... like maybe, "Masters of Chaos" and "Inside the Delta Force", should give you a general idea of what kind of missions you will be doing.

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 06/25/08 09:07 PM

Today, BlackFoot Studios was able to announce what engine they are using.

Originally Posted By: jsonedecker
Today, the paperwork was completed for BFS to acquire a title license Epic's award winning Unreal Engine 3. Yep, you read that right..... We are using Unreal Engine 3!

We will be doing a full press release in the coming weeks, but I thought the wait has been long enough around here so why not share it with everyone... though the Donators have known for a couple weeks now.

I am looking forward to sharing much more information as we transition into this new phase of the company!

-John

link to discussion

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 09/22/08 11:33 AM

Update: Blackfoot Studios have a revamped website with more readily availible info on both Ground Branch and the new Sky Gods game for those who want a quick peek.

Link: Blackfoot Studios

Respectfully

krise madsen
Posted By: BadKarma1001

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 02/15/09 05:28 PM

Like so many (almost any) other game/mod striving for realism in FPS sadly this games also seems DOA to me. I will be very (positively) surprised when GB or SG ever will be released but i seriously doubt that.
Sad thing is that the most realistic tactical shooter came out in the last year is SOCOM Confrontation for the PS3.

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 02/15/09 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: BadKarma1001
Like so many (almost any) other game/mod striving for realism in FPS sadly this games also seems DOA to me. I will be very (positively) surprised when GB or SG ever will be released but i seriously doubt that.
Sad thing is that the most realistic tactical shooter came out in the last year is SOCOM Confrontation for the PS3.

Not sure why you would think that, if you go to the forums, you'd see that they are still working on it. The are not posting as much and will not be doing the news letters any more because they are focusing on completing the games.
Posted By: BadKarma1001

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 08/26/09 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By: BadKarma1001

I hate beeing right!
Obviously GB and SG are belly up and imho it´s just a matter of time when the whole studio is following.

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 08/26/09 11:50 AM

actually just SG is belly up, GB still moves on... but ya... it will be a long time still, and it does leave a lot of questions and speculations, thou BFS has been upfront and direct about their issues/problems...

we will see, as for now... keep playing other games, I wouldn't be "saving my money for Ground Branch" right now. JMO.

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 08/26/09 11:20 PM

The only thing that worries me is this:

Sky Gods was designed because GB was too big to develop up front. Ok, that is understandable. Make SG, which has less over all content, no friendly AI, ect. A smaller game to release up front to get some more money to continue funding for future games. This would make sense.

But now that they canceled SG, what is this supposed to mean? SG already was intended to be a smaller game. If they can't deliver SG, then what can they?

As I brought up on their forums, I can see them scrapping the whole sky diving/insertion thing, as this may be hard to make. I would imagine it would be considering how small of a budget they have.

The only thing I can see them doing is making SG without the air insertion methods. Basically a realism based multiplayer game.
Posted By: Dslyecxi

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 08/30/09 06:49 AM

Personally, the news about SG being canceled has been enough for me to completely write off Ground Branch. It doesn't sound like there's any real hope of seeing it in any reasonable timeframe. The number of people apparently involved isn't really even enough to make a mod, let alone a full game - not to mention a full, good game. I'm all for optimism and everything, but there's a point where it turns to delusion, and I think their most recent update re: SG and GB is where the fantasy dies.

Re: STICKY: Future tac-sim: Ground Branch - 08/30/09 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Dslyecxi
Personally, the news about SG being canceled has been enough for me to completely write off Ground Branch. It doesn't sound like there's any real hope of seeing it in any reasonable timeframe. The number of people apparently involved isn't really even enough to make a mod, let alone a full game - not to mention a full, good game. I'm all for optimism and everything, but there's a point where it turns to delusion, and I think their most recent update re: SG and GB is where the fantasy dies.

Hey now, let's not bury Grandma until we're sure she stopped breathing. Yes, a "full game" release is now rather in limbo, but BFS is aiming at release it in a more piecemeal manner.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums