homepage

I can't believe...

Posted By: QuantumPeep

I can't believe... - 02/17/06 12:34 AM

... I waited all these months for the new patch in the hope, that I will finally be able to run BF2 properly after the 1.12 fiasco, only to find that it's still a stutter fest for me. And that eventhough I am now on a P4 3.0 Ghz processor, whereas I had 2.53 before.

And to top it all off they are bringing out another add-on...without fixing the major bugs experienced by a great number of players out there.

Well done EA. I've learned my lesson in capitalism. Never again will I purchase a game with your logo on it.

What's really funny is how teams like 1C/Maddox have to take so much abuse from the community, whereas they provide incredible support and free add-ons for YEARS now.

P. S. Before anyone asks: I was able to run BF2 on medium-high settings fluently with my old CPU and GPU.
Posted By: Sergeant Fresh

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 05:41 AM

Stonor regarding your stutter fest, how many background programs do you run after you start up windows? Some times they suck up your gamming memory. I hit START then Run then type in msconfig open the start up tab to the right and uncheck and non neccessary programs, and then restart the computer. 2.53 or 3.0 Ghz cpu's can run the game but you need to free up your memory. I run my games with 2 gig's of DDR RAM. Games will run on low res 1024 x 768 with 512 mb DDR Ram low graphic settings but you still need that 512 ram to run free and clear dedicated to your game.
Posted By: U-96

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 09:23 AM

I run 1280x1024 with a 9800Pro, an XP2600+ and 1GB of RAM. Video settings are all on medium, and I don't get any stuttering at all. I'm sure the P4 3GHz isn't the problem.

What's your vid card and do you get any disc thrashing? Also are we talking online or offline play? I've noticed some momentary stutter when joining a new game, but it passes within seconds.

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 12:39 PM

Thx for your replies guys.

I have a NVIDIA 6600 GT. Before that I use an ATI 9800 pro, which is now in my server.
Pre- 1.12 patch everything was running great with the old CPU and the ATI card. After the 1.12 patch I sarted to get severe stutters, online and offline. The upgrade to the faster CPU and GPU did not change that. It will run a bit better if I go to low settings without alias.

Quite frankly, that's rediculous though. Also, I only have 20 services running while I play.

I know you guys are trying to help, but believe me as an IT dude I know what I am doing. With the hardware upgrades I got all other games flying, but BF won't budge since 1.12.

There simply is a major bug in the code somewhere, no other explantion. Either way, it's clear to me it's graphic related, but it has nothing to do with my system. I think the Canada devision botched the optimization.

P.S. I have 1 Gig of memory, that should be enough. And I should mention that this PC is purely for gaming. No apps are running on it except those required for gaming.
Posted By: BirdShot

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 01:49 PM

Sorry to hear that.

I am surprised though, as i'm able to run it quite well on my meager system.

BS
Posted By: Mr B

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonor Eagle (=Demonic=):
Either way, it's clear to me it's graphic related, but it has nothing to do with my system.
Don't be so quick to rule it out. I play with the system below in my sig which is very similar to yours, yet I get decent FPS on pretty good settings. You may just have missed something in the new install. Are you sure you haven't forgotten to turn off some option in BF setup or in your graphics driver config?

Cheers

Mr B
Posted By: Rook_336th

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 03:08 PM

Actually, it's been pointed out in one of the other BF forums that memory usage in 1.2 has increased by 200 Mb! Many people with just a gig of RAM are having problems now.

A hotfix for 1.2 has been announced by EA, but I would say it's doubtful it will address this issue.
Posted By: Mr B

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rook_336th:
Actually, it's been pointed out in one of the other BF forums that memory usage in 1.2 has increased by 200 Mb!
WTF! That's insane.

Cheers

Mr B
Posted By: CenterMass

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 04:42 PM

Check out tweakguides.com for the BF2 section. It may have some info that may help you.
Posted By: Bars

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 04:49 PM

Im running BF2 on:
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
1GB of DDR400 RAM
Windows XP SP2
ATI 9550 256DDR Gamers Edition 5.11 official drivers

Everything on high except dynamic shadows, dynamic light and AA are off. 1024x768x32. Game runs great and i really enjoy it after the 1.2 patch.
Posted By: Rook_336th

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 05:22 PM

higher memory requirements now, glad I have 2 Gb:

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56987

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 06:58 PM

Ok, just to strengthen my argument I can tell you that I personally know 22 people, who have the same problem I do. How do I know this? Well, we are holding a LAN party this weekend with 50 people and I've just received an email stating that BF2 will not be played, because of those 22 out of 50 with severe stutter issues.

Thx for trying to help though!
Posted By: Papa_K

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 09:31 PM

6800GT here, 1GB RAM. This may help...maybe not:

I can run on maxed-out in-game video settings with everything BUT Dynamic Shadows and Dynamic Lighting (both on LOW). If I turn those up...stutters.

Something to try anyway, if you haven't already.

Papa_K

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 10:01 PM

if you are bg into LAN parties and squads, maybe your server is goofing rather than your machine. have you tried SP with the same results?

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 11:41 PM

It has nothing to do with the LAN, as we will start tomorrow U96. The stutters my friends are
experiencing are thus not related to the LAN.

We all have this problem online and offline and I don't really need to mention that we all have different sys. configs...

Turning Dynamic Lighting and Shadows low or off makes no difference either for me. The only way I can run it smoothly is at low settings: Ugly and in my opinion rediculous. And even then I get the occasional stutter.
Posted By: 43st

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 11:49 PM

I'd suggest turning off all audio effects (both in Windows and in-game). I'm not sure what you're running audio wise but anyone can make the game stutter by incorrectly configuring the audio. Just give it a shot.

Re: I can't believe... - 02/17/06 11:52 PM

Ugh, never mind, stutters at low settings are just as bad. I will try your suggestion Thera and if that doesn't work I give up.

Re: I can't believe... - 02/18/06 12:10 AM

! =I give up= !

Re: I can't believe... - 02/18/06 12:48 AM

hehe Stonor don't think we're treating you like a n00b, we're just eliminating possibilities you've already tried ;\)

Tried updating vid drivers (or going back a version if you have the latest)?
Posted By: 43st

Re: I can't believe... - 02/18/06 02:46 AM

Maybe try searching some of the BF2 forums.

http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=565516

http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=6

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/

Re: I can't believe... - 02/18/06 10:26 PM

Well after 3 re-installs, latest nvidia driver install and vsynch off I now got it running fairly smoothly. Unfortuantely I know get CTDs after a couple of minutes of play.

I read that the new nvidia drivers are the cause of this ahahahaha
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I can't believe... - 02/18/06 10:40 PM

Well, I report that the game actually runs smoother on my machine (Athlon 64 FX-55, ATI Radeon X800 XT PE, 1 GB Corsair RAM) after the latest patch. The initial loading stage can be a hassle as the 2 GB RAM players drop in before me, but it runs ok after that.

On the other hand, there are strange things happening that seem to have some correlation with ver 1.2: more connection lag to local servers, disappearing weapons, or weapons which pass through vehicles, and strangest of all, I have seen a player on my team with a RED ID tag. I had this guy jump into my tank, and even the crew station was filled in as occupied by a Red player. Totally disorienting experience.

Edit: and now it has just occured to me why another player seemed to have some preoccupation with teamkilling me the other day. I didn't console myself with his pitiful explanation that I appeared as an enemy to him, but now it makes sense.

Re: I can't believe... - 02/18/06 11:29 PM

All of the bugs you name are new and known, I'm afraid. The enemy/friendly tag bug is old.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums