Posted By: RacerGT

Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 01:59 AM

Thanks to Ken for the review!

http://www.simhq.com/hardware/saitek-x-55-rhino-hotas-review.html

Pre-order link:

The X-55 is available for pre-order on Amazon

Posted By: 531 Ghost

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 02:05 AM

Heh, just wait for the weekend! MAYBE even tomorrow for an update in the drivers and calibration application!

Film at eleven...

popcorn
Posted By: Allaire

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 02:23 AM

Ok that 375g torque to twist. Is that gram force millimeter, gram force centimeter or gram force meter? Because it matters.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 09:51 AM

This was the complete answer I got from Saitek:

Originally Posted By: Saitek
STICK
Axis
Force Actuation

X Axis
X
Breakout force from centre point will be based the current spring fitted

Max force at max deflection

Y Axis
Y
Breakout force from centre point will be based the current spring fitted

Max force at max deflection

Rudder Axis
Rz
Breakout force from centre 375g

THROTTLE
Axis
Force Actuation

Throttle 1
X
200grams min setting and 850grams max setting

Throttle 2
Y
200grams min setting and 850grams max setting

That said, I will ATTEMPT to get an inch pound torque wrench on the stick and measure myself. The current spring (stick) refers to the blue one installed when I picked it up in California.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 11:17 AM

I'm going with gram-force meter based on THIS
Posted By: Fridge

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 01:21 PM

Thanks for the article!
Posted By: n4p0l3onic

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 02:36 PM

sorry but I think the review is so far below the usual simhq standard, where is the precision tests?!

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: n4p0l3onic
sorry but I think the review is so far below the usual simhq standard, where is the precision tests?!

No worries, what in particular would you like tested? Unfortunately, using the Windows Calibration "Wizard" isn't all that precise. Once the new drivers and calibration application is released I'll be sure to update my findings.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 531 Ghost

No worries, what in particular would you like tested? Unfortunately, using the Windows Calibration "Wizard" isn't all that precise. Once the new drivers and calibration application is released I'll be sure to update my findings.

the usual tests like in warthog 65f ch comparison article

also need more detailed photos, in depth explanation about the buttons hats switches, and the usual gaming experience...

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 03:01 PM

Well,

Edit: I'm not Joe wink

As for programming capabilities, as stated, nothing has changed other than the ability to manipulate axis curve settings in the H.U.D. software. If you are familure with Saitek's programming capabilities, there's no difference between H.U.D. and SST as stated in my conclusion.

I do not own a Warthog.

Comparing to CH, well, time will tell. I've had my FighterStick for 13 years now. Will the X-55 hold up mechanically/electrically? We'll see.

Programming, NOT to be or sound bias, but, there is STILL no better programming than Control Manager v4.55 (CH Products).

Detailed photos? More details on HATs and switches? Gaming experience? Sure, why not. I'll do some more playing with it over the weekend AFTER the new calibration application comes out. That said, initially, in FSX, in an F/A 18, going into burner took a few tries at "calibrating" the throttle in the Windows Calibration "Wizard".
Posted By: Allaire

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 03:13 PM

I'm going with gram-force meter based on THIS

I don't know about that. If it really is 375 gf-m that means it takes 32.55 lbs to move the stick an inch. If it's gram-force centimeter then it's .3255 pound-force inch which is more believable.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 03:17 PM

32.55 lbs INCH, not Foot wink
Posted By: zcaa0g

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 05:23 PM

Thanks for the review, Ghost. I have both a full CH Products setup (CH forever!) and the Warthog, so this really Saitek offering really doesn't interest me much, but one thing I am curious about is the responsiveness of the hat switches.

I know you mentioned they had a longer throw than you are used to, but are they different from the Saitek X65? I used to have the X65, but I found the hat switches to be rather sub-par in terms of feel and responsiveness.

To put it another way, there is the very tactile response of the CH Products hat switches and then there is what is on the Saitek X65, which isn't very tactile. Kind of like the difference between mechanical keyboard keys and membrane keyboard keys Are the hat switches better on the X55 than the X65 in terms of tactile/responsive feel?

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 05:55 PM

Tactile feel of both the X-55 and X-65 HATs are from what I F.E.E.L. smile are the same. You being a CH kinda guy know that the throw of the CH HATs are MUCH shorter than the X-65.
Posted By: RogueSqdn

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 09:27 PM

I'm a little confused. Are there or are there not throttle detents for idle and afterburner?

Thanks Ken.
Posted By: jpinks

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 09:31 PM

I am having issue with my Throttle not reading in the Saitek software for the X-55. No button presses or throttle movement will register. I have reinstalled it and still the same. But here is the kicker, windows sees it and reads it. Warthunder the throttle will work same for the Stick but no buttons can be programed. Saitek support still hasnt responded and its been over a week. Any ideas?
Posted By: NavyNuke99

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 10:34 PM

So, if you're looking for a Warthog for comparison, maybe we should see about doing Memorial Day in Raleigh and trying out that X-55 with my rig... Just saying, since I'm somewhat local... wave
Posted By: Sokol1

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/07/14 11:16 PM

Ghost,

Good descriptive review.

But I think you could describe the "F.E.E.L." smile of using the joystick in games.
For example, my cup of tea is WWII CFS, so what is really important is if the
oystick really make easy put "gunsight piper over the bandit".

Thank you.

Sokol1

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/08/14 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RogueSqdn
I'm a little confused. Are there or are there not throttle detents for idle and afterburner?

Thanks Ken.

You are correct Rogue. There are no detents (as stated) for idle or AB. There are center detents however for the two rotaries on the right throttle.

Sokol1:

That's why I found the red spring to be more to my liking. I F.E.E.L. it's closest to what I F.E.E.L. with the CH Products FighterStick.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/08/14 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: jpinks
I am having issue with my Throttle not reading in the Saitek software for the X-55. No button presses or throttle movement will register. I have reinstalled it and still the same. But here is the kicker, windows sees it and reads it. Warthunder the throttle will work same for the Stick but no buttons can be programed. Saitek support still hasnt responded and its been over a week. Any ideas?

Strange. If Windows is seeing it and you can calibrate in the Windows Calibration "Wizard" <- (joke) the H.U.D. should see the throttle.

Perhaps when the new drivers and calibration application are released (I'm told on Tuesday now) it'll "fix" itself? We can hope.
Posted By: Moses

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/08/14 01:15 PM

Ghostie are you liking these?

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/08/14 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Moses
Ghostie are you liking these?

I'll just say that, it's different. wink You know, old dog, new tricks kind of different.
Posted By: -Peregrine-

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/08/14 10:00 PM

What do the stick and throttle weigh separately?
Posted By: kludger

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/09/14 06:19 AM

Thanks for the good article, will be keeping my eye on this to see if worth upgrading from my X-52Pro.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/09/14 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: -Peregrine-

In RSI forum they post this numbers:

Quote:

Joystick 1.82kg
Thruster 1.137kg
Total weight 2.95 kg (so not two bars of chocolate)

For comparison in weight order (I hope this makes up for my lack of cooking skills)

2.95kg Saitek X-55
3.15kg Saitek X-52 (non pro version)
3.85kg Thrustermaster Cougar
4.50kg Saitek X-65
6.5kg Thrustmaster Warthog

Sokol1

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/09/14 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Originally Posted By: -Peregrine-

In RSI forum they post this numbers:

Quote:

Joystick 1.82kg
Thruster 1.137kg
Total weight 2.95 kg (so not two bars of chocolate)

For comparison in weight order (I hope this makes up for my lack of cooking skills)

2.95kg Saitek X-55
3.15kg Saitek X-52 (non pro version)
3.85kg Thrustermaster Cougar
4.50kg Saitek X-65
6.5kg Thrustmaster Warthog

Sokol1

Thanks for picking up my slack Sokol1! cheers

I was about to take these to the post office on Monday...

Other questions/answers asked you can find on their support site: HERE
Posted By: Foxbat916

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/09/14 02:28 PM

Hello Ghost,

I own a X-65F and I wonder whether a time will come when I can buy just the stick from the X-55 Rhino, hook it to my existing X-65F throttle Quadrant and takeoff.

It has implications for the programming software and maybe the drivers but since the layout of both X-65F and X-55 sticks seems to be the same, I'm sure Saitek can make it happen.

I'd really like to be able to switch back and forth from force sensing to standard stick (prop fighter now, F-16 then) for less $$.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/11/14 12:22 AM

so, when will the article get updated with precision testing results, in depth summary of each buttons and in depth explanation about feeling when used in games?

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/11/14 01:02 AM

so, when will the article get updated with precision testing results, in depth summary of each buttons and in depth explanation about feeling when used in games?

When the new drivers and calibration application in the H.U.D. software come out? Fair 'nuff?

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/11/14 01:41 AM

I see, if so why the rush in publishing this review?

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/11/14 02:02 AM

Because I didn't get the word from Saitek until after the review was published.
Posted By: Woulff

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/11/14 12:30 PM

I'm interested in the stick for helicopters. How does it F.E.E.L. without the springs? Does it stay in the position you move it to or does it tip/flop to the side?

Thanks for the review!

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/11/14 02:28 PM

Part Two, in work... Film at eleven...
Posted By: csThor

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/11/14 06:30 PM

I picked mine up from the mail office today and I'm totally blown away. I switched over from a 6-year-old TM Afterburner II, mind you, so the switch was marked ... and still I think this one is remarkable. Played a bit around in ARMA 3 (flying Helicopters) and I think I will need to try out the various springs which one is best for me. I really like it already ...
Posted By: Gimbal

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/12/14 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Woulff
I'm interested in the stick for helicopters. How does it F.E.E.L. without the springs? Does it stay in the position you move it to or does it tip/flop to the side?

Thanks for the review!

Very interested in this as well. Not only the stick without the spring aspect, but also how it F.E.E.Ls (what? everyone else is doing it) to use the throttle for the collective at the lowest tension setting.

Some other important pieces of information seem to be missing in the review. The particulars of the toggle switches, for example, may have been mentioned in other articles or on other sites, but I would not have known anything about them if I just read this review. What are the capabilities of the rotary knobs with the HUD software? Is there a mouse-like mini stick thing like I have on my ancient Saitek X36 I am still using? Looks like I can see one in the picture, but does it work as an 8 way hat or is there mouse emulation?

As word of mouth starts to spread after this product is released and people start looking for reviews, I think it would be helpful to have all that information in the main review article. Or maybe briefly mentioned with a hyperlink to an article with more information for us lazy but overly demanding people. You know how we are. biggrin

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/12/14 03:56 PM

Part Two, in work... Film at eleven...

wink

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/14/14 10:14 PM

New drivers and H.U.D. can be found HERE

Included in the new H.U.D. software is a new calibration application for the stick. The throttle, not-so-much.
Posted By: Capt_Hook

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/15/14 07:21 PM

I use a Warthog so no real interest in this product per se, but I'm very intrigued by the mention of programmability of the Saitek Pro Flight stuff using a future version of the software. I would have long since bought quite a bit of the PF gauges and switch panels if they were programmable for general use in any sim, and I don't fly FSX (if the plane doesn't have guns I'm not interested... ar15). If Saitek is making it easier to program the PF stuff then that's good news indeed, and they'll certainly pick up more sales.

Any idea when we might get more info on that particular feature?
Posted By: spiffyscimitar

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/22/14 10:33 PM

I'm still using my venerable X-45 but it's starting to get a little inaccurate around the center. However, I'm really leery about any Hotas setup that has the rudder as a twisty-stick... it gets really messy on three axis at once, and gives me wrist aches. I really like the throttle rocker rudder on my x-45, it's a great alternative to foot pedals (which I can't justify to the wife, she values open floor space and already hates it when I lug out my racing pedals.)

Why did they lose the throttle rocker? Are there other HOTAS setups that have a better rudder solution than the twisty stick?

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/22/14 10:59 PM

Quote:
Are there other HOTAS setups that have a better rudder solution than the twisty stick?

Other than rudder pedal (G-490 - discontinued or CH combo), NO.

Well, the low cost Tm HOTAS X have rocker (and twist) rudder.

Sokol1
Posted By: darkarrow

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/23/14 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Woulff

Thanks for the review!

I'd also like to know how does it operate without the springs. If the stick can hold its position, then it could partly be an alternative to FFB sticks for flying helicopters.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/23/14 03:54 PM

I suspect that without spring you "F.E.E.L." this law:

smile

Sokol1
Posted By: Woulff

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 11:59 AM

I found this video that shows how it "F.E.E.L"s without a spring in place.
youtube

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 01:31 PM

Well, I have no idea when part two of my review will be published (and I'll probably get in trouble with the boss) but I'll just add it here in the replies...

Saitek X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. Review Part Two-

Saitek X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. Flight Control System

Preface: This is part two of a review of the Saitek X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. not a comparison to any other HOTAS system.

As previously stated in my earlier portion of this review, the new drivers and H.U.D. software were to be updated and include a calibration application. For Saitek, this is new! You can get the new drivers and H.U.D. software HERE . Previously the end user would have to “calibrate” their controller using Windows Calibration “Wizard”. The Windows Calibration “Wizard” is, in my opinion anything but a “Wizard”.

Now that the drivers and H.U.D. have been updated to include the calibration application, I will take a more in-depth look at how to calibrate the stick and throttle quadrant. I will also go over some of the technical data for both the stick, and throttle quadrant I may have missed. I will also provide my gaming experience in the following games/flight sims:
• Flight Simulator X With Acceleration Pack
• DCS A-10 C
• Flaming Cliffs 2 (A-10 A)
• IL2 1946 (patched to v4.12m)
• Strike Fighters Project 2
• Strike Fighters Project 1
• Combat Flight Simulator 2
I will use each centering spring (red, yellow, blue and green), for the stick and, no spring. I will attempt to explain how it F.E.E.L.s in each of the sims. That said, as I stated earlier, I find that the red spring (shortest) is more to what I’m used to F.E.E.L.ing (CH Products FighterStick). Your mileage may vary.

Calibration Steps:

Calibrating the stick:
The stick has hall sensors that can be reset with the new calibration routine. Simply go to the settings page in the H.U.D., select the Stick, and click CALIBRATE AXES as seen below. Both axes will calibrate and center the stick.

Calibrating the throttle quadrant:

Saitek, with the release of a calibration application for the stick, still depends on the Windows Calibration “Wizard”. The Windows Calibration “Wizard” however, will not calibrate the mini-joystick as it is not seen in the Windows Calibration “Wizard” as an axis (X or Y) to be calibrated. You can however, “calibrate” the X (left throttle) and Y (right throttle) axis, both rotaries on the right throttle handle, and, both rotaries on the base. You can access the Calibration “Wizard” by going to: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers. From there you can select a controller to calibrate. Or, if you have FSX installed, you can access the “Wizard” from there too. With that said, let’s go through the calibration steps for the throttle quadrant…

Once opening the Device Calibration Wizard, click next to continue. Set your throttles to 50% (marked on the throttles) and click next.

DO NOT move your throttle handles around in circles as the “Wizard” tells you to. It is a good idea to click the Display raw data box to eliminate any guess work in calibrating the position of the throttles. Move them fore and aft their full range (0-1032 raw data). Center them at 511-512 and click next. The next two axes to calibrate are the rotary axes on the right throttle. Click next…

Rotate the top rotary (Z Axis) all the way up, and all the way down, click next.

Move the bottom rotary (X Rotation) all the way up, all the way down. Next are the two rotaries (RTY 3 and RTY 4) on the right side of the base of the throttle quadrant. Click next.

Rotate RTY 3 all the way through its range, and click next.

Rotate RTY 4 all the way through its range and click next.

After calibrating RTY 4 and clicking next, click Finish. Now you can test what you’ve calibrated. This concludes the calibration of the throttle quadrant.

Technical:

Throttle Quadrant:

The throttle quadrant has an array of toggle switches (3) along the aft portion of the base of the quadrant and the Mode (1-3) switch. The mode switch is just that, a hardware mode switch and selects each hardware mode by turning to M1-M2-M3. You can set up programming in each mode for each button, switch position or, HAT position. Typically, programmed modes are: Navigation, Air to Air, and Air to Ground. Along the right side of the throttle quadrant there are four toggle switches and two rotary dials. Each of the switches is momentary and is spring loaded back to their center position. Each switch moves forward and aft. Each HAT can be programmed as an eight or four way HAT. On the left throttle there is a two position “switch” and a scroll wheel. The locking mechanism for the two throttles is on the left throttle. On the right throttle, there are two rotaries with two buttons (one for each rotary), two HATs, a mini-joystick/mouse, a sliding switch (SBK), and three buttons (two forward and one just above the mini-joystick). The two rotaries on the right throttle have center detents. Neither throttle have an idle, or afterburner detent. On the left side of the base, there is a throttle tension adjustment.

Stick:

The stick itself is detachable as previously mentioned in the first part of my review. Removal of the stick allows for the changing of the spring centering tension using one of the four springs supplied, or no spring at all. With the ability to remove and replace the stick this MAY lead Saitek to produce other types of stick handles (F-15, A-10, P51…). We shall see. On the forward portion there is a pinky switch, a pinky button and a trigger (single stage). On the left, there is a single button. At the top, there are two HATs (H1 and H2) that can be programmed as both eight and four way HATs. There is a point of view HAT, and (for me) a weapon release button. On the right there is a single button accessible using the index finger just above the trigger. If there are no rudder pedals present in your arsenal of gaming human interface devices the stick can also twist and perform the YAW (rudder) function. Or, it can be un-programmed to twist in the H.U.D. Un-programming the stick does not mechanically stop the stick from twisting. It does however; remove any input if inadvertently twisted during flight or ground operations.

How does flying F.E.E.L. with the following spring?

No spring:
As you may imagine, there is no centering spring tension. There is no tactile reference to center of the X and Y axis of the stick. This does not affect the spring tension for the twist function of the stick. I found flying with no spring tension, awkward. At no point during flight could I just, let go of the stick. Aircraft in FSX I flew were: Bell 206 Jet Ranger, AH1W Cobra, F/A 18C Hornet, and Piper Cub. I specifically flew the two helicopters because no spring tension is said to be more user friendly to flying helicopters for me, not so much. Flying fixed wing aircraft, as stated at no time could I center the stick, in flight, and let it go. Aircraft I flew in DCS A-10, well, I flew the A-10 C with similar results. I found flying Flaming Cliffs 2 (A-10 A), same results. I found flying IL2 1946 (F4U Corsair and P-38E Lightning), same results. Flying the F4N Phantom in Strike Fighters 1 and 2 without spring tension, not fun either. I found flying CFS 2 (F4 U Corsair), same results. Overall impression flying without a spring installed, not impressed and would not recommend flying without a spring installed.

Red spring:
As stated, the red spring is more to what I’m used to F.E.E.L.ing when I fly with my CH Products FighterStick. It has a F.E.E.L.ing of being light and precise with a tactile F.E.E.L. for the center of the X and Y axes. All aircraft flown (mentioned above) were much (in my opinion) easier to control. And, I could take my hand off the stick, take a swig of my coffee, beer… and go back to flying.

Yellow spring:
Now things are getting a wee bit stiffer and I have to work at moving the X and Y axes off center. Not as precise and a definite tactile F.E.E.L. for center.

Blue spring:
Much more stiff and a lot less precise due to me having to fight the stick wanting to position itself at center.

Green spring:
Continuing to use the green spring may replace my daily regime of weight lifting. Using the green spring I found to be a lot of work to move the stick off center in either of the axes. There is most definitely a tactile F.E.E.L. at the center of the two axes. Again, I found myself fighting the stick to position it precisely. Those of you that have flown with a Cougar or the X-65F may be more accustomed to flying with the green spring.

Game Controller Options:
Once you have a profile for a game loaded and the profile is assigned, you will want to go into your controller settings for that game and assign the axes accordingly…

FSX with Acceleration Pack-

Assign the throttle axes…

Once the throttle axes are assigned, you will want to insure the throttle sensitivities are set to 100% this will insure that 100% thrust (afterburner in aircraft that have afterburner) can be achieved...

DCS A-10 C-

Flaming Cliffs 2 (A-10A)-

IL2 1946 (patched to v4.12m)-

Strike Fighters Project 1-

Strike Fighters 2-

Combat Flight Simulator 2-

Stick Assignments:

Throttle Assignments:

As stated, your mileage may vary. This concludes my review of the Saitek X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.
Posted By: Woofie_Dog

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 03:49 PM

Where you able to pinky shift buttons on your HOTAS? and if so were you able to do it on both stick AND throttle?Doesnt seen to work across the board so to speak,...AND...,I can't seem to do it(pinkly shifting) with mine without sacrificing a mode either?? This implies that the X-55 has only half the command power the x-45/52 had...not good IMO
Posted By: RogueSqdn

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 04:21 PM

Ken, in regards to ab/idle, would a Velcro solution similar to what I did with the CH PT work? Is there space for that?

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Woofie_Dog
Where you able to pinky shift buttons on your HOTAS? and if so were you able to do it on both stick AND throttle?Doesnt seen to work across the board so to speak,...AND...,I can't seem to do it(pinkly shifting) with mine without sacrificing a mode either?? This implies that the X-55 has only half the command power the x-45/52 had...not good IMO

Pinky shift buttons? confused 'splain please?

Originally Posted By: RogueSqdn
Ken, in regards to ab/idle, would a Velcro solution similar to what I did with the CH PT work? Is there space for that?

I'll check that out. BUT, un-like Control Manager you are limited to where you can set the axes and their range using the Device Calibration "Wizard". So you MAY be able to set it up in games like Falcon where you set the AB and Idle in the controller options.

Edit: No, not enough room for Velcro
Posted By: EinsteinEP

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 07:25 PM

Pinky shift = use a HOTAS button as a modifier. Some folks use this as a temporary modifier (e.g., BTN3 = fire rockets, BTN3+PinkySwitch = drop bombs), some folks like to implement as a mode toggle (e.g., BTN3 = fire rockets, PinkySwitch to change modes, BTN3 now drops bombs).

This capability existed in SST for the X-52 Pro, so I'd expect this feature was retained but Woofie seems to indicate it's not working as he expects for the X-55.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 07:28 PM

EinstienEP is Correct, the assuption is that the X-55 has as much more command power as previous products...when in fact it has less.

Posted By: Cali

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 08:22 PM

Why would they have a single button on the left side of the stick and most sticks have a 4-way is beyond me. I guess with all the buttons and rotaries on the throttle you make do with it.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 08:32 PM

AHHHH Yes...

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP
Pinky shift = use a HOTAS button as a modifier. Some folks use this as a temporary modifier (e.g., BTN3 = fire rockets, BTN3+PinkySwitch = drop bombs), some folks like to implement as a mode toggle (e.g., BTN3 = fire rockets, PinkySwitch to change modes, BTN3 now drops bombs).

This capability existed in SST for the X-52 Pro, so I'd expect this feature was retained but Woofie seems to indicate it's not working as he expects for the X-55.

In (as EinsteinEP points out) the previous version of Saiteks programming (SST) this is possible. And, as Woofie, points out it isn't do-able in the new and improved H.U.D. Not that I've been able to figure out anyway...

I'll keep tryin' though...

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 08:35 PM

I have to agree with Cali, but to make it even worse (for me anyway) is not having a 4 way hat on front of the throttle...its a 2 way only,and using the side hats is confusing when slewing anything (slewing up instead of down,left for right etc).had they made the front 4 way hat would have a more intuitive feel.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Cali
Why would they have a single button on the left side of the stick and most sticks have a 4-way is beyond me. I guess with all the buttons and rotaries on the throttle you make do with it.

Price point I'd guess. After all a full HOTAS for $200.00 USD with a BUNCH of switches and rotaries and even a multiple axis throttle quadrant? You'd have to get a Franken-Potato to come close wink to what this throttle quadrant has.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 08:43 PM

AHHHH Yes...

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP

In (as EinsteinEP points out) the previous version of Saiteks programming (SST) this is possible. And, as Woofie, points out it isn't do-able in the new and improved H.U.D. Not that I've been able to figure out anyway...

I'll keep tryin' though...

Well it is doable...but you have to sacrifice a mode to do it...which is totally undermining the mode switching for no reason as far as I can see. How the dev's overlooked this is beyond me.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/25/14 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Woofie_Dog

Well it is doable...but you have to sacrifice a mode to do it...which is totally undermining the mode switching for no reason as far as I can see. How the dev's overlooked this is beyond me.

Doable, yes, w/o sacrificing a mode, not-so-much.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/26/14 12:23 AM

Woofie have you tried:

If,

R=rockets

SHIFT(hold)+R=drop bombs

Then in the Rhino software you would bind

BTN3=R

Pinky=SHIFT(hold)

You would just have to program the SHIFT(hold) like:

Saitek Knowledge Base...

For the second instance, you would have to be able to bind “weapon switch” (if available) in your game.

Try it see how it goes. At the moment I don't have the X-55 plugged in as I'm involved with another project.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/26/14 02:46 AM

MMmmmmm...imagine what chaos that would do in a game like DCS...Doable...but not desireable
Posted By: oldpop

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 03/29/14 12:55 PM

I have found that you have to select the throttle load a profile, activate it, then select the stick and do the same.
Also have a problem with using a programed button (#1) set to a key (L control), TeamSpeak "sees" button #1 vice "L control". This is no matter which x55 button or what key you choose, even if you set a different key in mode 2 or 3, still "sees" button #1.

Another problem I haev is I can't modify the throttle "slope" the setting screen is Dead! (sitck works OK.

Re: Saitek X-55 RHINO H.O.T.A.S. Review - 04/07/14 10:35 AM

Seems there are other issues as well... Perhaps time is telling?

I can not confirm the issues discussed as I don't have the Rhino set up in my pit at the moment as it's set up as a Cessna 172 (going through ground school). I had to modify the top half of one of my CH Products Throttle Quadrants with push/pull's rather than levers...
© 2024 SimHQ Forums