homepage

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review

Posted By: RacerGT

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 11:43 AM

http://www.simhq.com/daily-news/command-modern-airnaval-operations-1-01-review.html
Posted By: Bahger

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 04:18 PM

This is a superb review, helpful to both current and prospective players. It's analytical without being anal-retentive and informed by both a knowledge of the development history of CMANO and by the reviewer's practical experience. This reviewer is both an experienced player of operational-level wargames and a student of modern warfare with real-world experience. Finally, he "gets" the Mission Editor (never to be confused with a scenario editor), an understanding of which is the "open sesame" to this game. Well done!

Posted By: Patrocles

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 04:37 PM

Thank you for the review! bookmarked for reading over the weekend. Since Bagher is the expert on anal-retentiveness(?) I will trust his word that the v1.01 review is not anal-retentive. wink

I installed the Command v1.01 patch last night and hope to fire it up over the weekend. I hope the BBBoD can be turned on/off by the player? confused

cowboy

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 04:44 PM

Not quite sure what that comment means, exactly, but, er…thanks.
Posted By: Patrocles

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 04:57 PM

It means that I hope all of us can enjoy the Command game and get past the review dramas at simhq. I plan to enjoy getting stomped by the AI in Command over and over and over. See you in the RTS forum.
cowboy
Posted By: FearlessFrog

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 05:01 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write this up Dr S, one of the most extensive .1 review updates I think I've seen. smile

I've got some time off coming up, and I plan to bite the bullet and plunge into CMANO. I'm not so much worried about the price, but the time I'll spend obsessing in it. So thanks for contributing to the SimHQ reviews.

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Patrocles
It means that I hope all of us can enjoy the Command game and get past the review dramas at simhq.
cowboy

Are you accusing me of something? I really don't know what you appear to be implying, specifically, but would like to. I took care not to mention any of that past unpleasantness in this thread, yet you have chosen to, and lobbed in a vague personal insult. If I'm not getting a well-intentioned joke here, I apologize.
Posted By: strykerpsg

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Bahger
Not quite sure what that comment means, exactly, but, er…thanks.

It's analytical without being anal-retentive and informed by both a knowledge of the development history of CMANO and by the reviewer's practical experience.

I think he was referring to the above. But as has been pointed out, great review overall linking its inception, birth and growth spurt. Great job of pointing out its merits and not afraid to point out its shortcomings. It just keeps getting better and better, not to mention the growing group of scenario builders porting over from Harpoon.
Posted By: Wedge

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 06:32 PM

I enjoyed reading the review. Very well laid out and organized. I am currently saving up to buy the game/sim and your review has put me on the cliff of breaking out the CC - which is super bad!

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Wedge
I enjoyed reading the review. Very well laid out and organized. I am currently saving up to buy the game/sim and your review has put me on the cliff of breaking out the CC - which is super bad!

LOL! Isn't peer pressure the greatest?
Posted By: JC______

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 08:13 PM

RacerGT, my hat goes off to you for one of the best reviews I've ever read.

Favorite quote:
"This is a well-thought-out system, created by guys who clearly played Harpoon 3 into the ground and knew what neded fixing."

Cheers,

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/11/13 11:29 PM

It's not Racer's review. He just started the discussion thread. Credit for the review goes to Erich Swafford.
Posted By: RacerGT

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/12/13 12:40 AM

Correct, thanks!

It's not Racer's review. He just started the discussion thread. Credit for the review goes to Erich Swafford.
Posted By: JC______

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/12/13 01:46 AM

My bad. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
Posted By: sinner6

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/13/13 05:31 PM

Just wanted to chime in that this was a very well done review. Informative, objective and enthusiastic about the topic at hand. Great Job, Erich Swafford!

This is turning out to be a good year for those interested in "Cold War gone Hot" type games. Between this and Flashpoint Campaigns, the World (War III) is your oyster.
Posted By: nadal

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/18/13 02:36 AM

Does this game support land battle?

It seems like player can place SAMs and what not on the ground in mission editor, can player manage ground units of the allies when playing?

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/18/13 02:57 AM

Ummmm, it supports many land based units that will fire on each other, if in range of each other but seem to recall they can't physically move to each other. I'll find the thread....stand by.

Thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3239785&mpage=1&key=land%2Cwarfare&#3240647

So, they can move toward each other, but at this stage, the teams focus is on making them really good targets with some thought toward changing that strategy later to an Air, land and Sea simulator.

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/18/13 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: strykerpsg
Ummmm, it supports many land based units that will fire on each other, if in range of each other but seem to recall they can't physically move to each other. I'll find the thread....stand by.

Thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3239785&mpage=1&key=land%2Cwarfare&#3240647

So, they can move toward each other, but at this stage, the teams focus is on making them really good targets with some thought toward changing that strategy later to an Air, land and Sea simulator.

Hi, thanks for the information!
Im thinking of getting this game.

Also I noticed they are working on the MP with subsequent release(no extra mnoey needed)

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/18/13 05:04 AM

No problem! Absolutely glad to spread the word and reinforce what was already known....it's a great game with much potential and causing former Harpooner's to never look back at the past that was once Harpoon.
Posted By: Herman

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/18/13 07:45 AM

Originally Posted By: nadal
Also I noticed they are working on the MP with subsequent release(no extra mnoey needed)

It is true that MP is planned, but there has been no official mention whether or not it will come at additional cost or if it will be included within a normal patch.

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/18/13 04:02 PM

Here's the Matrix Games thread referencing MP and ironically even the team picked up someone's MO from previous threads. Too funny.

Matrix games MP discussion

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/18/13 05:23 PM

The MP discussion was held on WarGamer.com

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=587096&pg=4#642391

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/18/13 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Herman
The MP discussion was held on WarGamer.com

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=587096&pg=4#642391

No suprise on how that thread ended....again.

Ultimately MP is not part of the existing game but they are getting feedback from users/owners that it's something they desire, so it's being touted as a feasible possiblity. I too would like to challenge some other players rather than AI, in scenarios, however not always. It's a "nice to have someday" feature to look forward too while I plod through the various scenarios and DB entries for some very unique scenarios that was lacking in Harpoon. All the while playing without a DOS emulator and worrying about IRQ's and port switches. Man, I hated DOS and configuring it to work all those years ago.

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/19/13 02:45 AM

Bought the game, so far I'm really having fun with this.

@MP
I read a thread the one in their official forum, what the moderator said in there sounded really optimistic so I got an impression that it will happen soon but ..it is not likely to happen?

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/19/13 03:01 AM

I read it as the developer's priority is making sure their base product has it's issues solidified and resolved before moving onto other additions within the engine. Makes sense to me to fix the bugs, clean up the database and enhance what already exists. After all of that, then move into what appeals to most. If you noticed, some comments spoke of PBEM, Co-op and MP. So, nothing official, though even the developers would like to see MP added. I feel confident MP will see light of day, as it's a popular trend and will only appeal to an even larger marketing niche that wants both SP and MP.

Glad you took the plunge and ensure you register over at the Matrix forums for updates and new scenarios.

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/19/13 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: nadal
Bought the game, so far I'm really having fun with this.

@MP
I read a thread the one in their official forum, what the moderator said in there sounded really optimistic so I got an impression that it will happen soon but ..it is not likely to happen?

Welcome aboard, shipmate.

Supposedly, MP is coming. Personally, I don't think it will come any time soon. I predict not within the first year. If you desperately want a naval MP battle, you'll have to go with Harpoon, Naval War: Arctic Circle, or Fleet Command.

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/19/13 04:19 AM

Welcome aboard, shipmate.

Supposedly, MP is coming. Personally, I don't think it will come any time soon. I predict not within the first year. If you desperately want a naval MP battle, you'll have to go with Harpoon, Naval War: Arctic Circle, or Fleet Command.

The least expensive and most supportable is Fleet Command. It's available via Steam as the
Naval Warfare Pack. It's also available via Amazon and some others. I would recommend NWP Mod for it. It makes it an entirely different game, though it does struggle with newer OS and graphics cards.

NWAC is no longer supported by it's developer. It's available via Steam as well. It's a more futuristic game and has limited database and playability. It does work well with newer OS and graphics cards.

Lastly, there's Harpoon Ultimate Edition. While I'm certain Herman and Gunny can tell you of it's strengths, I couldn't get past the dated engine (as a former owner of Harpoon II and it's subsets) and the frequent CTD I received, probably due to graphics card and direct x issues.

Ultimately, I would like a combination of NWAC/FC graphics of the various equipment and world, in a swappable window with the CIC appearance of Harpoon/CMANO, but that's my perfect vision. I would take some time to get to know the inner workings of CMANO so if and when MP/PBEM/CO-OP does arrive, you're already a hardened veteran and know the tactics and weapons available in the continued growing DB. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Pinetree

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/21/13 01:17 AM

Paradox has released the source code to NWAC (the back end code, anyway) so hopefully someone will be able to do something with it.
Posted By: Dimitris

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/21/13 11:20 AM

New public update: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=1996

Improved high-DPI support, lots of UI & performance improvements & fixes, and numerous DB updates & additions.
Posted By: mugwump

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/21/13 07:16 PM

How does one install it? Do you just copy all the extracted files and folders straight over or you do run the .exe separately?
Posted By: Dimitris

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/21/13 08:37 PM

Just extract everything on the installation folder and run the exe.
Posted By: Gunnyhighway

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/22/13 06:59 PM

Sonalysts is coming out with a new Naval Simulation before the end on 2013.

I will spend money and brains powers for a game designed by a company who is a true US NAVY contractor.

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/23/13 02:00 AM

[/quote]

You're insane.

And besides that, here's the next "real Naval simulation game made by Sonalysts a real US NAVY contractor":

So yeah, have fun with that. [/quote]

+1

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/23/13 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Hellfish6
You're insane.

And besides that, here's the next "real Naval simulation game made by Sonalysts a real US NAVY contractor":

[snip]

So yeah, have fun with that.

Here's the entire article. I think that Near Impact is a prequel to a more traditional submarine game.

http://www.subsim.com/2013_08/preview_near_impact.php

Quote:
“We consider this a prequel for the next Sonalysts RTS sim,” says Kurzawa.

Quote:
Here's the best part, the part that matters to Subsim: After Sonalysts stretch their programming legs with Near Impact, future titles will be focused on the sub/sea/air theaters that the faithful Subsim skipper yearns for. Future Sonalysts projects will step forward to include the emerging presence of drones, both sub and air, that threaten to break the mold of past and present naval tactics and redraw the battle lines in ways that will stun current tacticians. “The sub force is not looking for current missions. The force is looking to future missions. The days of a submarine going off and doing their own thing died in 1986,” says the former naval officer. The US Navy is developing submarine drones, carrier-launched drones, and developing ground-breaking laser weapons. Naval warfare is about to undergo a sea-change unlike anything since the advent of nuclear power, and Sonalysts will be there to bring it to your desktop.

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 10/23/13 04:08 AM

[/quote]
Here's the entire article. I think that Near Impact is a prequel to a more traditional submarine game.

http://www.subsim.com/2013_08/preview_near_impact.php

Quote:
“We consider this a prequel for the next Sonalysts RTS sim,” says Kurzawa.

Quote:
Here's the best part, the part that matters to Subsim: After Sonalysts stretch their programming legs with Near Impact, future titles will be focused on the sub/sea/air theaters that the faithful Subsim skipper yearns for. Future Sonalysts projects will step forward to include the emerging presence of drones, both sub and air, that threaten to break the mold of past and present naval tactics and redraw the battle lines in ways that will stun current tacticians. “The sub force is not looking for current missions. The force is looking to future missions. The days of a submarine going off and doing their own thing died in 1986,” says the former naval officer. The US Navy is developing submarine drones, carrier-launched drones, and developing ground-breaking laser weapons. Naval warfare is about to undergo a sea-change unlike anything since the advent of nuclear power, and Sonalysts will be there to bring it to your desktop.
[/quote]

I'm ok with the follow up product but suspect it won't be 2013 when it see's the light of day. I loved their initial releases but this looks like a trailer for Pacific Rim.
Posted By: rockhpi

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 12/08/13 02:43 AM

I had a Harpoon game AGES ago (I want to say on the Amiga or even C64 - that long ago) and I remember all the scenarios were like Swedish missile boats vs. Norwegians or something. Anyway, I'd play, my ships would get destroyed pretty much right away and I never knew what I should have done differently. I didn't have a hard time figuring out HOW to do things, but I felt I needed a class in modern naval warfare tactics to begin to have a chance. Would have been nice to have internet forums in those days!

I gave up because I wasn't sure what I should be telling my ships to do. So this seems like a ton of fun but I get the feeling I'd need a lot better grasp of modern military tactics.
Posted By: enigma6584

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 12/08/13 03:28 AM

Interesting. I loved Dangerous Waters. This I will have to keep an eye on for sure.
Posted By: Wedge

Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations 1.01 Review - 12/14/13 10:56 PM

I have a hard copy unopened for sale. PM me if interested. $69.99.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums