Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 09/29/11 04:41 PM

Graviteam Projects Update with CEO Vladimir Zayarniy
A Discussion on Steel Armor: Blaze of War and Future Products

by Guest Writer Robert "Godzilla 1985" Salopek

http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_163a.html63
Posted By: speck01

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 09/30/11 12:21 AM

cool, thanks for having an interview with those guys-

Looking forward to both, but especially that tank sim - really hope the 'steel fury style' of play is implemented well, I'm not too into the idea of jumping around controlling a whole mess of units.

I mean, great that it's there for those that do, but I really liked the way in steel fury you were just basically a platoon leader, and the battle unfolded around you.
Posted By: TacError

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 09/30/11 03:04 AM

I'm thinking the next tactical game Vlad is hinting at will be set in the Ogaden War.
Posted By: EagleEye[GER]

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 09/30/11 08:43 AM

What multiplayer in Blaze of War!? jawdrop
Quote:
One of the other new features we are excited about for Steel Armor: Blaze of War is the damage, destruction, shell holes, and remains of the damaged armor are saved during the course of the operation. Each time the fighting line crosses the area of a previous battle, the game does not start over from scratch, all of the destruction from previous battle stays in place. We feel this feature will add tremendously to the immersion factor for the player.

Wow, just wow. Can`t wait! thumbsup
Posted By: RainMan

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 09/30/11 03:38 PM

I am really looking forward to this one. According to Vladimir, they have already found publishers for both Russian and Western territories. Let's hope that the game comes out soon. I expect that *if* there's any MP, it will be an add-on or patch down the line.
Posted By: enigma6584

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 09/30/11 05:02 PM

Something has changed. They mention "multiplayer" will now be in Blaze of War. Wow!! Now I'm interested. Thanks for the article.
Posted By: petherf

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 10/01/11 04:17 PM

When will it be out?
And will it be download or dvd?
Posted By: ijozic

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 10/02/11 11:17 AM

Great news. The new tank simulator really looks great. But, I think they should try to do smth like DCS - a game sold online with the basic engine which will be upgraded over time and for which you could buy additional modules (or packs with new vehicles and campaigns). This would increase the profit margins and remove the dependance on the publisher (e.g. Steel Fury was never upgraded because the publisher went under shortly after the release).
Posted By: godzilla1985

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 10/02/11 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ijozic
Great news. The new tank simulator really looks great. But, I think they should try to do smth like DCS - a game sold online with the basic engine which will be upgraded over time and for which you could buy additional modules (or packs with new vehicles and campaigns). This would increase the profit margins and remove the dependance on the publisher (e.g. Steel Fury was never upgraded because the publisher went under shortly after the release).

Somewhat true ijozic, but SFK42 was released with a map and campaign editor, also SFK42 is very modable, more so then most people here realize. Unfortunately the Western publisher was suppose to do the english manuals (which they sort of did but it wasn't 100% complete and in some cases was almost a direct translation and didn't make much sense to the western user), they were also to field the "how too" questions. But the RU and later the western SFK42 communities stuck with it and SFK42 has grown well beyond what was originally released, even without direct publisher/developer input (although the devs did help the community from time to time with how too knowledge). The one really amazing thing about SFK42 is just how much can be modded, tweeked or fixed. Outside of the basic core game engine, from armor values, sounds to skins SFK42 is pretty wide open. One knock the newer armor add-ons for SFK42 has taken is the lack interior cockpits. Now its not because they cannot be made and inserted in the new armor models, it's just because no one has bothered to do them. Whats kind of interesting on that subject is the different mindset between the two communities on interior cockpits. Almost 95% of the new playable armor in SFK42 is/has come from the RU community so far, and most of the RU modders don't really feel interior cockpits are a must have, so they don't model them. Now on the other hand most western players/modders want them, and now that the western community of SFK42 is catching up to where the RU community is, probably most new armor models done by western SFK42 modders will have interior cockpits. Even now work is progressing on new PzIV models and some new buildings for SFK42. So while I do agree somewhat with what your saying, I just don't feel you need to rely on the dev/publisher to do certain things if they provide the tools, comprehensive "how too" manuals and support for the modders to be able to provide for the community. In all honesty the best missions/campaigns I have ever played were from games where the community could design their own. As long as historical and authentic equipment and capabilities are followed I really see no problems allowing the community modders to handle this one. One more side note, due to how the western modder was almost totally shut out of modding SFK42 at the start because of the western publisher. Vlad has reassured me that this won't be the case with SA:BoW. This time unlike SFK42, when SA:BoW is released to the western market, the western modders will have everything the RU modders have available to them and that includes comprehensive manuals written in very understandable english. Vlad really wants the two communities to grow together this time instead of one having to play catch up with the other.
cheers
Posted By: ijozic

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 10/04/11 11:03 AM

Well, yeah, you can prefer to wait for mods to happen and then collect dozens of files from various russian webpages and search for the compatible installation order only to find out that some of them lack interior or that something is not simulated correctly because it requires a source code change or that the campaigns are not on the same quality level as those which came with the product, etc.

On the other hand, you can have a model where (ideally, of course) the developer makes regular updates with the new content of the expected high quality level without MP modsets incompatibility issues, installation problems, etc. The addons are not for free, but you have a guarantee that you sim will be getting updates and new content for some time in the future.

I'm all for window number 2 smile
Posted By: godzilla1985

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 10/05/11 10:08 PM

Can't argue those points but I still like having the option of an open game structure, at least for the SP aspect. So I guess I like to have window one and two biggrin
cheers
Posted By: paf_eaf310

Re: Interview: Graviteam Projects Update - 10/20/11 10:21 AM

In Rise of Flight you are able to start the game in Mods on/off mode.
If you play only singleplayer you maybe prefer Mods on and MP Mods off.
Also the Developers bring regular updates (free) but with buyable content to keep the cash flowing -> further develpment.

I would prefer such a model, it keeps the game alive with high quality upgrades.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums