homepage

Preview: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700

Posted By: citizen guod

Preview: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 - 11/02/06 05:18 AM

Intel is lifting the veil on its Core 2-based quad-core processor, the Core 2 Extreme QX6700, today. How does the QX6700 fare against Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, and what benefits two additional cores provide?

Read here: http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_096a.html
Posted By: CrashDome

Re: Preview: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 - 11/02/06 07:07 PM

YAGA...

Yet Another Good Article

Definately to be expected. I am surprised there wasn't a combined test of multiple applications - such as AV scan while running F4AF? It's a bit of an oddball idea because most people are accustomed to running games without background processes, but the main goal of these processors is to redefine multi-tasking such that yes, even games, do not need to run under strict OS super-vision any longer. I would really like to have seen how close they are to acheiving that goal.
Posted By: shan2

Re: Preview: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 - 11/02/06 07:20 PM

I'm impressed with the potential of the quad core. But it's nice to know that I don't have to upgrade quite yet... \:D
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Preview: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 - 11/05/06 11:07 PM

YAGA...

Ditto.

Thanks John for more informative and UNDERSTANDABLE info.

One of the most interesting things that I noticed was how close the $500 C2D 6700 is to the $1,000 C2D 6800.

I personally don't see anywhere near $400 difference between the two Dual Core CPU's.

Thanks again SimHQ and John Reynolds
Posted By: Sleepdoc

Re: Preview: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 - 11/09/06 06:01 PM

Quick input that might make you consider re-testing F4 with these processors.

It has come to my attention from credible sources, although not in any deep specifics, that the microstutters, macrostutters and other frame rate killers of F4, which were present in 1.07, have been greatly eliminated in 1.08. In particular, certain effects related to sounds were resolved (again, as my source tell sme).

The reason that this may be relevant to your testing is that the more erratic, non computational based, sound file and memory leak problem sare removed, the more likely it is that the tests you did will be more meaningful.

As most will tell you, many of these frame rate issue seen in Single player (and MP) F4 are all but gone now in 1.08, and the memory leak is nearly non existent.

To me, this means that if you repeat your tests bwtween these processors and F4:AF 1.08, you might get far more valid and discernable results. I hope you do. I will be very curious. Why? Becuase LP has clearly hinted that this code base will be the chassis for a new GFX engne and other upgrades in a newer release. So your reults in a cleaner version of F4 will be far more meaningful fo rme, who is currently thinking about building a new gaming system soon.

Thank you,

Sleepdoc
© 2024 SimHQ Forums