homepage

The UAW160 Multiplayer Utility

Posted By: MrJelly

The UAW160 Multiplayer Utility - 01/16/20 02:18 PM

I have been revising the folders containing the ready-made mission files, using names that relate to the theatres

Spain Multiplayer Allied:
[Linked Image]

Spain Axis:
[Linked Image]

Mediterranean:
[Linked Image]

All of the missions can be flown as enjoyable ground-started missions in real time.
I will be checking the files in the other folders and modifying their names as appropriate.

I get little feedback, but these files can be loaded for what is offline "host-only" multiplayer flying. To me that is far preferable than flying single missions because of the additional settings that are available.

wink Jel
Posted By: Moggy

Re: The UAW160 Multiplayer Utility - 01/16/20 02:45 PM

these files can be loaded for what is offline "host-only" multiplayer flying

can you explain that please Jel?
Posted By: MrJelly

Re: The UAW160 Multiplayer Utility - 01/16/20 04:23 PM

Sure
EAW 1.2 and derivatives need a minimum of two players for the host to launch the game.
Years ago in the 1.28 series I reduced it to one, so the host can launch the game even when there are no other players.
As soon as this happens there is a brief warning to say that the network connection is lost, but the host can continue to play what is effectively a single mission..

[Linked Image]

The host as a player selects his own plane
He also sets the Enemy Primary AI plane, the Enemy Secondary AI plane and the Friendly Secondary AI plane, shown at the bottom of the list of planes.
He sets the target, the host's base, the enemy primary base, the friendly secondary base and the enemy secondary base.
He can also set the Cruise Altitude, and the three AI altitudes.
Many of these settings cannot be made in the single mission
Although he does not set the mission time in hours and minutes, several choices are possible, and the exe calculates the time based on sunrise and sunset.
To me the biggest negative is that the choice of loadout options is reduced. In multiplayer there is no loadout screen as there is in single mission games, but overall I prefer to fly host only as against single mission EAW.

The multiplayer utility allows the host to select some settings from lists, buy the target and base selections from a map, and then save the file smile
The first settings screen for mission type, aircraft and other selections:
[Linked Image]

The target, bases and year setting page. The year is on this page to show the frontline for the year selected:
[Linked Image]

The whole thing works like this. When a script is loaded the utility reads it and replaces several lines the host's "eaw.ini" file:

============================
[NETOPTION]
Year=3
SkillLevel=0
MissionType=4
BattleSize=0
Day=11
Weather=1
NoAI=0
StartOnGround=1
AllowRespawn=1
AI_PlaneUpdateRate=350
PlayerPlaneUpdateRate=35
ClockSyncRate=140
Sleep=400
Target=126
FriendlyPrimaryHB=7
FriendlySecondaryHB=7
EnemyPrimaryHB=40
EnemySecondaryHB=40
FriendlySecondaryPL=24
EnemyPrimaryPL=8
EnemySecondaryPL=9
============================
The UAW160 exe uses these values for the multiplayer game, and several of them (such as the target and the bases) are automatically passed to the players' PCs.
All that the players need to know is the theatre and the planeset that the host is using.
When the multiplayer parameters screen appears the host can still change the values, but the other players cannot. The other players can only select the plane that they will fly.
Posted By: iron mike

Re: The UAW160 Multiplayer Utility - 01/16/20 08:21 PM

Thank you for the clarification. The explanation is perfect. 👍🏼
Posted By: Moggy

Re: The UAW160 Multiplayer Utility - 01/16/20 11:30 PM

Thanks Jel. I must give it a go. I had no idea.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums