homepage

Chain home station 4-mast mod

Posted By: 33lima

Chain home station 4-mast mod - 04/13/20 08:05 PM

Chain Home/RDF station 4-mast mod for Wings over the Reich

From the included Readme:

What it does

WotR's Chain Home RDF/radar stations have three transmitter towers; and the four smaller receiver towers are placed in front of these. In 1940, Chain Home stations generally had four transmitter towers and the receiver towers were sited off to one side, not in front. This mod adds a fouth transmitter tower and moves the receiver towers to the right (viewed from the front). It also adds an extra building near the latter, to represent the receiver building.

The mod won't replicate all real-life sites as the receiver towers could be on either side of the transmitter towers, and the lie of the land in WotR means the relocated receiver towers may not be on the same level (as happens at Ventnor) or otherwise not ideally placed. In an effort to minimise this, I have placed the receiver towers a bit closer in, than they seem to have been in real life.

How to install it

Method 1 - using JSGME: unzip this file into your MODS folder, preserving the folder structure, and then enable the mod listed in JSGME as 'RDF 4-mast mod'.
Method 2 - as a back-up, make and save somewhere a copy of the file OBDWW2 Wings Over The Reich/facilities/Radar_Home_defence. Then extract the file of that name from this .zip file to that folder.
Any issues or comments, you can contact me at SimHQ. There are no conditions attached to use of this mod.

Dover (Swingate) Chain Home station with the mod

[Linked Image]

Ventnor Chain Home station with the mod (in real life, the receiver towers were on the other side of the transmitter towers)

[Linked Image]

The real Dover CH station at the time, photographed from across the Straits

[Linked Image]

Available on DropBox, here: WotR Chain Home 4-mast mod

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2cn3rlvs72gcsu/RDF%204-mast%20mod.zip?dl=0
Posted By: Adger

Re: Chain home station 4-mast mod - 04/13/20 10:55 PM

Hi Lima i want to try your mod but it won,t download,when i click on your link i just get a dropbox homepage any ideas? thanks mate

Re: Chain home station 4-mast mod - 04/14/20 12:09 AM

Hi Adger

If this is the page you see...

[Linked Image]

...then left click the little menu box with the three dots (indicated by the black arrow). This should bring up a menu with the option 'Download' on it, which should do what it says on the tin, even if you don't have a Dropbox account....but maybe works for me because I have!

Alternatively, try this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y2cn3rlvs72gcsu/RDF%204-mast%20mod.zip?dl=0

There should be a download icon to click, next the box labelled 'Share', top right.

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll see if I can work out what I'm doing wrong!

Attached picture db.JPG

Re: Chain home station 4-mast mod - 04/14/20 12:26 AM

Thanks Lima,when i click the 1st link i get the homepage the same as yours above but Without the RDF 4 Mast mod.zip showing.

The alternative link works perfectly cheers mate.

Re: Chain home station 4-mast mod - 04/14/20 01:11 AM

Thanks Lima brilliant mate

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Chain home station 4-mast mod - 04/14/20 10:55 AM

Great, glad you got it working! Now all you need is a dozen or so Stukas or Ju88s dive-bombing the living daylights out of them! smile
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: Chain home station 4-mast mod - 04/14/20 12:54 PM

Nice work 33lima. That Secret Squirrel project just appeared out of nowhere. You flew in under the AI on that one mucker! Must have been skimming the wavetops old bean, as we never saw that coming on the cathode ray display mate! I will pick this up later today and give it a flyby Sir. Does your mod include this? rolleyes hahaha "Also at this time the Army Chain Home Low station at Culver Battery was being prepared to move 1500 yards back into Fort Bembridge. Thus it also was unserviceable during this time and would not begin operations again until July 30th.". ?????? sigh neaner
Maybe, with your permission, Pol will include this in the next WOTR update? Hint, Hint!
Nice pics Adger but I was a little disappointed that you didn't fly to each coastal station and photograph each one. winkngrin
How many CH stations are modeled in sim?
Anyway, nice work Lima.

S!Blade<><

Re: Chain home station 4-mast mod - 04/14/20 02:04 PM

Thanks Blade. I noticed from screenshots at sim-outhouse it seemed possible to add the missing piers and jetties to ports in what appears to be WotR and speculated this was done by copying over 'facilities' files from the ETO Expansion mod or similar, which got me comparing files in that folder in both. I haven't worked out how to place such facilities even if I found them, but I did notice that the WotR file for CHr stations looked like it could be easily hand-edited to add the fourth transmitter tower, adjust the co-ordinates of the receiver tower, and place an additional building nearby. So this mod just grew out of a bit of poking about, yesterday afternoon.

IIRC there were over twenty CH stations; I don't know how many are in WotR. I hope they are all in open country and that my fiddling hasn't placed a huge mast in somebody's back garden!

Finding a way of adding port facilities to places like Dover, Ramsgate, Folkestone and Tilbury Docks remains an ambition. Skinning was the original one but is parked as being more complicated that I thought, as I wanted most of all to enlarge the upper wing roundels on all Spitfires and tweak the camo patterns on both Spits and Hurris, before trying to give each aircraft in each 109 unit its correct unit markings.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums