homepage

Moderator - please delete thread

Posted By: ChiefWH

Moderator - please delete thread - 09/22/18 09:31 PM

No longer posting on this forum
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/23/18 03:04 AM

Man, somebody has been busy! I too have found some map weirdness. I ended up over water that looked suspiciously dry on the map
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/23/18 11:35 AM

I hate the fact that when I am flying over large water features (excellent reference marks for navigation) there is bugger all on the map to indicate they are there...
Posted By: 77_Scout

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/23/18 07:38 PM

Excellent! That Isle of Wight thing was bugging me too.

If you can add in some of the missing lakes at some point (as Trooper mentioned), even better.

Thanks for this!!

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/23/18 07:50 PM

You might be able to use this map to make a new briefing map as well. Here are some notes I made a while back when trying to mod maps in WOFF:

The original WOFF inflight map is 4096x4096 pixels.

The briefing maps are found at:
WOFF\WOFFScenery\Period\(PERIOD)\map\alt_low.bmp

These bmp's are 3752x3688, so not the same size as the in flight map (close, but smaller)
If you drop the inflight map in 'as is' as a bmp the size difference results in the map not matching in-game locations in the briefing.
If you resize the inflight Map to 3752x3688 then things seem to line up pretty good (only looked at Flanders so far).
Posted By: nbryant

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/23/18 08:07 PM

Interesting that the map is that large yet on a 4k monitor running 3840x2160 it zooms in and looks terrible. I know, I know, CFS limitations right?

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/23/18 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 77_Scout
You might be able to use this map to make a new briefing map as well. Here are some notes I made a while back when trying to mod maps in WOFF:

The original WOFF inflight map is 4096x4096 pixels.

The briefing maps are found at:
WOFF\WOFFScenery\Period\(PERIOD)\map\alt_low.bmp

These bmp's are 3752x3688, so not the same size as the in flight map (close, but smaller)
If you drop the inflight map in 'as is' as a bmp the size difference results in the map not matching in-game locations in the briefing.
If you resize the inflight Map to 3752x3688 then things seem to line up pretty good (only looked at Flanders so far).

Hi, thanks, yes, I found that last night and tried it, but it was being rejected, all I did was open the default one ,scribble on it (to test where it was displayed in the game), extract and save it, then run the game. It gave a map error and the briefing map was blank. I hadn't actually changed anything on the size, unless Gimp2 had forced a change in image size?!

Have you actually managed to get a different map to show in the briefing page of WoTR? Edit: Re-reading your post I see you mean those are notes from WoFF

Edit: There are three locations too, \battlemap, or 1939\Map, or 1040\Map, all of these show the same 3840 x 3840 alt_low map. I messed about wit all of them last night but couldn't get it to work.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/23/18 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by nbryant
Interesting that the map is that large yet on a 4k monitor running 3840x2160 it zooms in and looks terrible. I know, I know, CFS limitations right?

For me when I was messing about with it, the possibilities didn't seem so bad, I was actually having to thicken my lines and make them less distinct to try and fit in with fatter default lines. I'm sure an improved, better resolution map is very much possible, certainly for viewing in-flight, where it matters.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/24/18 11:08 PM

Excellent, I've figured out my issue with getting the campaign maps to not throw an error, so now I can get the same map into briefing maps and the inflight one.

I just flew over the isle of sheppy and er, it's a bit too long, so I will revisit the map details. This might take some time but I'll look to include as much navigational detal as I can. My plan is to build a whole new map from the original one up but wth as many corrections as I can do put in it.
Posted By: Adger

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/24/18 11:17 PM

Excellent Chief..looking forward to what you can come up with. Thanks

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/25/18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChiefWH
Originally Posted by nbryant

For me when I was messing about with it, the possibilities didn't seem so bad, I was actually having to thicken my lines and make them less distinct to try and fit in with fatter default lines. I'm sure an improved, better resolution map is very much possible, certainly for viewing in-flight, where it matters.

Glad you got it working in the debrief. I really hope you carry on with this project.

I doubt that the resolution can be improved. The actual map is huge (all of Europe) but we only see a small portion "zoomed in" (a part of England), hence it will always look blocky. Hope I am wrong.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/25/18 09:07 PM

Maybe you're both right there, but it is possible to make things look a bit better just by usin a 1 pix border between land and water for example, or none at all and just let colour do it. (Just noticed you have a big resolution display so yep, maybe nothing woudl help wink )

Unfortunately though I really am stuck. The current map is straight from CS3 by the looks of it, I thought it had been created from scratch more recently. It doesn't seem to align with 'real life' no matter what I do, I think because the original CFS map was blurred in creation by the addition of borders, and possible even skewed/stretched. In comparrison I assume the map we fly over, is based on real terrain .

So without knowing what section of map I'm trying to create, and what the projection/coordinates of it are, I'm a bit screwed.

Some of the game files refer to the position of things by coordinates, if the map we fly over has a coordinate system , if anyone knows what the 4 corners are, then maybe I could work from that?
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/26/18 05:50 AM

I hope it helps - excerpt from Mapdata.xml file:

<Map Image="map\alt_low.bmp">
<UpperLeft Lat="N55" Lon="W7 4.5"/>
<LowerRight Lat="N41" Lon="E14 4.5"/>
</Map>

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/26/18 07:13 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/26/18 08:27 AM

Ok, this is now back on! Thanks for finding the coords JJJ65!
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/26/18 09:15 AM

You are welcome, ChiefWH wink .

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/26/18 06:38 PM

Unfortunately the task seems to be just far too big and complicated.

I've used the coords and taken that shape from GIS and put it in as the map file with a few of the airfields also GIS mapped, they were misaligned by about 80km or more. I then spent hours lining up one of the airfields in an area I know well, and a couple of others that had physical coast landmarks nearby, these were all in the southern band of the UK. I got these pretty much lined up, but a check on the NE English coast showed it was still 10s of km out up there, rediculously so, Humberside was a mess for example. I didn't dare check France.

I don't know if the game terrain is perhaps not aligned with reality then, thing is, it looks good for areas I know; so I just don't get it, if the terrain is fine in game, it must be a conflicting projection issue (the game terrain is a flat earth I presume?).

So the only solution is to manually fly around visually updating the map file, which is what I did for my first attempt to give the Isle of Wight some accuracy. But I don't have the time for this, especially if you consider towns or large rivers, the task has to be automated somehow. I hope the devs can extract a map from the game terrain and give us that, otherwise we are stuck with what we have, and, that will mean navigation is never part of the game (I'd hoped we could have a map without the aircraft like in other games one day).

Maybe a paper map on your lap is the solution... does anyone have a 1940 map of NW Europe by any chance?.. (I jest).

So sorry, but I give up on this, its much too frustrating, I'm just going to use the stock map and ignore the Isle of Wight the best I can.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/26/18 07:25 PM

In WOFF, a few years ago, Nibbio was able to extract a map from the terrain files, so it can be done. He isn't around anymore ... I wonder if anyone else has this knowledge? I am sure the developers do but probably far too busy.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/27/18 02:39 AM

I have played with the briefing map and think I have it working. There is a link below to a beta mod. Put into your MODS folder and install with JSGME (or install by hand if desired).

Briefing Map beta

This is basically just Chief's improved map, resized to 1840x1840. I overlaid it on the original and tweeked it bit to line the coastlines up.

Please test and let me know if it works or not, problems, etc.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/27/18 04:02 PM

I don't think the link is active?

I think part of my frustrations is due to my own artefacts made when messing about with stuff, I think I caused some of the misalignment I was seeing in my files.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/27/18 06:05 PM

I don't think the link is active?

Sorry, fixed it. Should work now.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 09/27/18 06:43 PM

Yep downloaded fine..Thanks Scout

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/01/18 11:02 PM

Well I may have got a bit carried away with all this, I have indeed started to build my own map from scratch.

It is still a WIP at the moment but I have the coast of England and Wales completed and it all seems to line up pretty well, not perfect of course but a lot better than the stock map.

So You are pretty much showing over water on the map when you are over water, and over land when over land!

I've drawn this by a rather, er, intensive method, of flying the whole coastline in game taking screenshots.

The attached images show where I'm at so far, note Ireland/Eire and France are not improved in any way and I'm in the process of marking urban areas and not sure yet if I will perhaps just use point references for most of them instead of shading, also there are no forests marked and only minmal inland water bodies.

But, you hopefully get the idea.

Attached picture Overview.jpg
Attached picture Overview2.jpg
Attached picture ScreenShot.jpg
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/02/18 02:09 AM

It's a damned good start ChiefWH.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/02/18 10:10 AM

Looking good Chief!!!

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/02/18 05:24 PM

Very nice!!

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/05/18 11:19 PM

An update so far:

Starting to add some cities, also inland water bodies, and have done most of the French coast from Normandy to Belgium

I'm keeping an eye out to see if a new map affects game performance, seems ok so far, but detail is low at the moment. Hopefully this won't scupper the whole exercise later.

I'm also trying a different map size and zoom levels for the inflight view.

Here (attached) is the latest map in the briefing view and also in flight.

Attached picture screenshot.jpg
Attached picture briefing.png

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/07/18 02:40 PM

Looking really good Chief

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/07/18 07:47 PM

That's some impressive progress in a short time. Looks great!
Posted By: Polovski

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/09/18 11:33 AM

Is this map higher res ChiefWH? Otherwise will end up similar in sim when you zoom in.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/09/18 05:22 PM

I'm not sure it is ...to be honest I'm not that clear in understanding resolutions, pixels and the like. It currently is larger in pixel dimensions at the moment, but, my main aim is to get navigational features lined up with the in game experience. This is definitely working enough from using my WIP map when playing the game. When I've also set the zoom to 52000 or 64000 and removed the own aircraft icon it means even though the map is centred on the player it can ' force' me to successfully navigate using outside features.

I've also played around with colour schemes and seen that this can soften the apparent pixelated appearance by having shades that blend more, but for now am just focusing on layout.

This may end up a waste of my time, but it seems to be creating something useful in my experience so far.

Having flown over so much of the map it has dawned on me just how huge, and impressive it is. The details may be repeated but I've seen few glitches and it is quite charming sometimes, the position of remote houses and churches etc.
Posted By: Polovski

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/13/18 09:09 AM

If it works better it will be something others will find useful so shouldn't be a waste of time. I am sure now you see the challenge involved in getting a good map as we do not have the map chopped into bits you fly in a bubble with "boundaries" as you do in most other sims. It pretty much covers the England to the Swiss border - and with enough fuel you could fly most of the way in 1 go.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/14/18 10:38 PM

I've updated the first post.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/15/18 06:49 PM

I've updated the first post.

I will give your latest version a try. Interested to see it in action! Thanks!!

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/17/18 09:39 AM

After trying a few things and a bit of consideration, I am going to move over to doing it in a higher resolution straight away, rather than do a low res one first.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/18/18 06:45 PM

Looks good Chief. Nice to have the lakes and rivers properly shown.

The only issue I saw was the strip of blank map along the top, when I was transferred up north to Cottam
http://simhq.com/forum/tmp/11931.png

Just a thought but maybe take off the 'writing'; not really necessary to identify the countries and it just clutters up the map?

Attached picture map.png

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/18/18 08:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep the strip of map at the top I don't believe exists in the game... for example if I select either the Isle of man airbase or the most Northernly one in England in QMB, or try to fly up there in game my game crashes, is that not the same for everyone? I was considering adding some text or something on there to make it look like a real map but not until the end of mapping.

And my plan was to list countries and main cities like the default map does, (and real maps of course), more for flavour than use... although if you reularly see a place in games on a map it is nice to get used to it, especially when you may fly over in future. But yes, I'll look at versions with and without labels in future it si very easy to leave them off when genereating the file.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/18/18 08:49 PM

Yep the strip of map at the top I don't believe exists in the game... for example if I select either the Isle of man airbase or the most Northernly one in England in QMB, or try to fly up there in game my game crashes, is that not the same for everyone? I was considering adding some text or something on there to make it look like a real map but not until the end of mapping.

Interesting. The area appears to be included in the stock map... I suppose it's included there because you might 'see' past the edge of the world, even if you can't fly there (as in my flight to Cottam). Maybe the missing strip could be filled in crudely, simply by tracing the coastline from the stock map?

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/18/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 77_Scout

Interesting. The area appears to be included in the stock map... I suppose it's included there because you might 'see' past the edge of the world, even if you can't fly there (as in my flight to Cottam). Maybe the missing strip could be filled in crudely, simply by tracing the coastline from the stock map?

Fair point, I'll see how it goes, again, it wouldn't be too much hassle to do alternative versions.
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: Alternative inflight map - 10/30/18 04:54 PM

Thanks for this CheifWH. I am going in to try it now with my 2nd Campaign mission.

S!Blade<><

Re: Alternative inflight map - 11/05/18 02:22 PM

Just be aware the file presented in this thread was a work in progress, is far from finished and has mistakes etc.

I'm working on a brand new high res map that I hope to actually complete and it is going well, although I have been away from home recenty so had a bit of break from it. (Attached example image includes a 'paper map' effect I've been toying with)

Attached picture High_res.jpg
Posted By: Stache

Re: Alternative inflight map - 11/07/18 12:29 AM

This is looking really nice.
The crease lines are an excellent touch.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 11/07/18 11:42 AM

Good stuff smile
I'm hoping one day we can have the ability to be able to bring up a map that actually represents what we see on the ground.
Coastlines, rivers, lakes, roads, railway lines and built up areas all accurately placed.
I used to teach map reading and navigation when I was in the army, so when I was flying for real, I found it was relatively easy to navigate from place to place... (VFR rules).
I'd make my way points at prominent road junctions, oddly shaped woods or features, lakes, river junctions etc, you know, things that stood out.

Still, keep at it Chief, you are doing a grand job!
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: Alternative inflight map - 11/07/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Trooper117
Good stuff smile
I'm hoping one day we can have the ability to be able to bring up a map that actually represents what we see on the ground.
Coastlines, rivers, lakes, roads, railway lines and built up areas all accurately placed.
I used to teach map reading and navigation when I was in the army, so when I was flying for real, I found it was relatively easy to navigate from place to place... (VFR rules).
I'd make my way points at prominent road junctions, oddly shaped woods or features, lakes, river junctions etc, you know, things that stood out.

Until that day I highly recommend RAF_LOUVERT'S maps displayed on a second monitor. They are excellent representations and available on Sandbagger's mod page.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 11/07/18 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins

Until that day I highly recommend RAF_LOUVERT'S maps displayed on a second monitor. They are excellent representations and available on Sandbagger's mod page.

I can't find that, I may not be looking in the right place though, could you provide a link please?

Re: Alternative inflight map - 11/07/18 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trooper117
Good stuff smile

That is kind of my aim, I had hoped someone would be able to extract a map from the values used to create the game world. It must define forest tile here, water there, urban tile there, ralway from x to y etc. Surely when the map was made by the original developers they can see a real world view of it? But I don't have the tools or knowledge to do this, and I think the original map actually got distorted when compressed and 'fitted' into the game, hence my manual (and tedious) mapping process.

Anyway, my aim is to define:

Coastline
Inlets
Rivers/Lakes
Cities and very large towns - less than on my first attempt as they are only visible for me when very close, but larger areas you can see by the land colour

then time and will allowing:

Large forests - as these seem to be visible from afar

And maybe

Railways

I'm not actually compressing the map file but have done some tests and didn't find this a problem, it may become one though of course.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 11/07/18 10:01 PM

?

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins

I can't find that, I may not be looking in the right place though, could you provide a link please?

I don't think Lou did maps for WOTR, just WOFF.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 12/11/18 11:54 PM

In case anyone is still interested, here are some more WIP images, this has my 'paper' filter effect on, I'll release both a clean and filtered map when the time comes.

I've nearly completed what I would consider phase 1 for this, and that will generate a 'useable' map. I've mostly only got Normandy and Brittany left to map, mostly.

Bear in mind that I'm not bothering with large areas right now (basically anything south of Paris and East of the Netherlands).

Should have something out by Christmas anyway.

Attached picture map1.jpg
Attached picture map2.jpg
Attached picture map3.jpg
Posted By: Panama Red

Re: Alternative inflight map - 12/12/18 01:18 PM

Looks good. thumbsup

Re: Alternative inflight map - 12/12/18 01:58 PM

I'll be waiting for it mate...

Re: Alternative inflight map - 12/13/18 08:48 AM

Looking good Chief!. Always interested in anything that will improve maps. My main interest is in a better briefing map for pre-flight use and printable paper maps for in-flight use.
There will be many people that do rely on the inflight map that will be happy to see this produced, for sure!.

Re: Alternative inflight map - 12/13/18 10:53 AM

I managed to get my first map file attempt into the briefing screens, but it wasn't aligning correctly, I didn't investigate why but I'm sure I can sort that out but need to get my outlines finished on the new higher resolution map first.

Very nearly there though on this first useable draft..
© 2024 SimHQ Forums