homepage

Hurricane Compass

Posted By: PO_Klonko

Hurricane Compass - 06/04/20 05:41 PM

Hi,

This isn't a massive issue but the compass in the Hurricane rotates the wrong way e.g. when the aircraft is pointing East the compass shows the heading as West. The Directional Indicator shows the correct heading. Only a minor thing.
Posted By: 77_Scout

Re: Hurricane Compass - 06/04/20 11:20 PM

The Hurricane compass has always worked fine for me.

Re: Hurricane Compass - 06/07/20 10:32 AM

Just checked again. The Directional Indicator (gyro compass) is pointing East (90 degrees) while the compass is pointing west at 270 degrees.
[Linked Image]

Re: Hurricane Compass - 06/07/20 10:35 AM

Unless I'm being silly and the + pointer indicates heading? Just checked with my wartime RAF compass, that's not how they work in real life.
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: Hurricane Compass - 06/07/20 10:51 AM

The needle on magnetic compass points always to North, so you must align the North sign of compass (outer ring) with the needle and then you can read out your magnetic heading.
EDIT: Sorry, I got you now. You are right, the compass needle is rotated by 180 degrees.

Re: Hurricane Compass - 06/07/20 10:58 AM

Yeah, that's what I've just done with the real compass. Looks like the game is simplified with the + on the compass behind the control column pointing to the heading. Nothing major though, I'll just remember how it works in game.
Posted By: 77_Scout

Re: Hurricane Compass - 06/08/20 02:15 AM

Hah, that's funny ... I never even realized there was a compass down on the floor. I only ever used the one in the dashboard, which works fine.

Re: Hurricane Compass - 06/08/20 11:21 AM

Yeah the dash one works perfectly well. I have dyscalculia (dyslexia with numbers) which means it takes me a lot longer to work out the headings based on the numbers alone which is why I default to the visual compass, which I can read instantly but it isn't perfect for detailed headings. Still, it doesn't detract from the overall sim and experience, it just confuses me a bit while doing full real navigation.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums