homepage

WoTR Plane Skinning Thread

Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/10/19 07:10 PM

This thread is for discussing custom skinning techniques and issues for the aircraft in Wings Over the Reich. Many of the techniques will be similar for other games, with differences in the naming and file type.
Here is a tutorial video that discusses the process:

Software used in the above tutorial:
GIMP
DXTBMP
Irfan View

Link to Sandbagger's Files:
Sandbagger's Files Page <- Download the WoTR Skins Mod and you are good to go!

Link to Hurricane Serial Numbers Range

Here is the link to the Wings Over Flanders Fields Skinning thread, which has many tips that will prove useful for WoTR as well...
Wings Over Flanders Fields Skinning Thread
This thread and this post will be edited and updated with the latest information regarding this topic.

Thanks to OBD Software, Robert Wiggins and Sandbagger for making this possible!

Last Edit: 3/18/19 reason: added serial numbers range link
Posted By: 33lima

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/10/19 08:39 PM

Oh, you tease!!!
Posted By: Polovski

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/11/19 10:29 AM

Great job RR, a natural video presenter smile

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/12/19 08:41 PM

Everything is ready! Skin On!
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/12/19 08:52 PM

That video is far more informative and easier to understand than the other videos that were put up... (remember I'm a numpty).
Skinning has always been a black art to me, but I might try and give it a go now...

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/12/19 09:12 PM

I would start with something simple like a new camo pattern or a personal insignia (or both!) and go from there. With the separate layer template it is really easy now.

* also, make sure to ask questions, we'll get you straightened out!

**edit again! And save often! I didn't stress that in the video. And if you mess up, don't forget the robust undo feature...
Posted By: carrick58

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/15/19 12:38 AM

Great Job. Wonderful Details. Right Then everyone Skin !

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/15/19 01:20 AM

salute
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/15/19 02:37 AM

Very nice Sir. I love that you can add in the kill grid and then go back after each confirmed kill and erase the transparency(?) as you progress through your Campaign. I think I am going to have to try that. How or where do you find the nose art / markings ? I know you created yours but are there common sources to find real ones?

S!Blade<><

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 03/15/19 05:00 AM

I just googled wwii fighter nose art and got a bunch. It might be trickier to find a picture that is at just the right angle for cropping. You might want to just look at generic clip art collections for images that would be appropriate with minimal work.
Posted By: ChiefWH

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 04/10/19 08:52 AM

Where are the layered templates though, most importantly though is the alpha layer, can't find them anywhere?
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 04/10/19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChiefWH
Where are the layered templates though, most importantly though is the alpha layer, can't find them anywhere?

The "WOTR Skins Mod V1.4" is on Sandbaggers site and contains all the templates and alpha ".bmp" layer.
Have you downloaded it? The link is defined in the fiert page of this thread.
Posted By: ChiefWH

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 04/10/19 03:08 PM

Oh I see, I'll take a look. I was looking for something labeled ' template' rather than 'mod'. Thanks
Posted By: jerbear

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 06/13/20 05:55 PM

Very informative Rick, thank you, answers a lot of questions for me, some of which I didn't even know I had.
Jerbear

dizzy

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 06/19/20 02:08 AM

Heh, glad it helped, and glad to see this thread getting some action!
Posted By: carrick58

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 06/20/20 02:05 AM

Mr Rawlings: U never cease to amaze me. Great information . Well done.

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 06/30/20 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by carrick58
Mr Rawlings: U never cease to amaze me. Great information . Well done.

Ah, but that was over a year ago! What have I done for you lately?!?

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 06/30/20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings

Edit, OOops! Was thinking of Robert Wiggins and not reading Rick_Rawlings,...Duh. Well, anyway, Rick, I am starting to poke into learning Gimp 2, but there is so much to learn, as I have never used proper photo editing software, only Ifranview. I really want to add the German kill crosses to my Hurricane as you showed in your tutorial. So, Someday this will be helpful SIr!!! winkngrin

S!Blade<><

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 06/30/20 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings

Edit, OOops! Was thinking of Robert Wiggins and not reading Rick_Rawlings,...Duh. Well, anyway, Rick, I am starting to poke into learning Gimp 2, but there is so much to learn, as I have never used proper photo editing software, only Ifranview. I really want to add the German kill crosses to my Hurricane as you showed in your tutorial. So, Someday this will be helpful SIr!!! winkngrin

S!Blade<><

It's actually one of the easier things to do, a cross layer and a copy of the underlying paint scheme layer that you paste over the top. So three layers: Underlying paint scheme, crosses on a transparent background, copy of underlying paint scheme pasted on top...You just erase a little of that top later each time and it will reveal a new cross! Also, when you rectangle select the underlying paint layer, if you don't cancel the selection, when you paste it into the top layer, it will be perfectly centered! You just anchor it and you are good to go!

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 06/30/20 11:14 PM

Yea, what you said, simple, got it, no problem. hahaha I think I will just follow the tutorial verbatim to do this then hang up my skinning shoes and call myself a professional skinner. winkngrin

S!Blade<><

Re: WoTR Plane Skinning Thread - 07/01/20 04:55 AM

Ha! Well, be sure to post pics and ask questions and remember: everything goes in a new layer!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums