homepage

Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin?

Posted By: Adger

Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/15/19 03:51 PM

Hi all,im looking to maybe try to make a skin..I want to try and make Tom "Ginger" Neil,s (of 249 sqd) skin.
Is it pretty easy to get started? i enclose 2 pics of the skin id like to try,any help would be most appreciated Thanks guys

Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/15/19 06:38 PM

It would be pretty easy with the unmarked skins, or even better, the base layer skins, none of which we have. You can still do it with some cutting and pasting and other clever work without too much trouble. Check out the Skinning Thread for ideas. Everything will be the same in WoTR except for adding the damage alpha, which is trivial and we can talk you through it once you get to that point.

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/15/19 06:44 PM

Thanks Rick il give the skinning thread a look. Im reading Gun button to fire...great book and i wanted to try and make his skin.
Thanks again pal

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/15/19 06:47 PM

Ask with any questions, I'm at work now but will take a closer look later. If the camo pattern is the same, it might just involve some color adjustment and then the squad and serial markings.

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/15/19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Ask with any questions, I'm at work now but will take a closer look later. If the camo pattern is the same, it might just involve some color adjustment and then the squad and serial markings.

Cheers Rick thumbsup
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/15/19 07:47 PM

It would be pretty easy with the unmarked skins, or even better, the base layer skins, none of which we have.

If it would be easy with the above, is there any reason why they are not available?

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/15/19 08:53 PM

The development team would have to release their internal ones or somebody would have to do one from scratch. When you make a plane skin, you would do layers for the structure, rivets, base coat, camo coat, decals like squad markings and serial numbers and then various types of weathering. We just have them after all the layers have been collapsed and cannot be separated out. That means a lot of work for cleanup. Maybe if all the free world asked Pol, he would give us just one with the structure, rivets and base coat or something like that to work from. Then we could do some general camos and everyone could do their own markings... Robert is doing some skinning for the Spits, maybe he could comment on anything in the process I am forgetting...

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/16/19 01:31 AM

Adger, So if you look in this directory path: C:\OBDSoftware\WOTR\OBDWW2 Wings Over The Reich\campaigns\CampaignData\Skins

you will see this one (which I have modified so no one can steal it ( I hope that is enough)) but you can see that the camo is nearly identical, you may need to make some color corrections and you can still use most of the letters and steal an N from somewhere else or just cut and rotate the Z and deform it a bit.

[Linked Image]

Trooper, here's a video I made showing a skin from another game with all the layers you would have to be able to quickly change squadron markings and whatnot ("quick" being a relative term...)

*edit: Irfan view is a good program that lets you view .dds texture files.

Attached picture Close.jpg

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/16/19 01:56 AM

Rick..thanks very much,il certainly have a real good look over. i have irfanview,ive also downloaded gimp. Il try and find the above skin in my skins folder and start on it later.
Thanks again Rick

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/16/19 05:20 AM

No problem! Remember to start by duplicating the original layer so you always have something to go back to if you mess up. And then add everything new into a new layer, one new layer for each new thing is a good rule!

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/16/19 09:55 PM

Got it all sorted thanks Rick,that was a great tutorial very helpful.

Thanks again mate cheers

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/16/19 11:31 PM

Well, jeez, you gotta post some screenshots!!! thumbsup

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/17/19 05:11 PM

Well, jeez, you gotta post some screenshots!!! thumbsup

Just gotta do a bit more with it then il post some..cheers again Rick
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/18/19 04:28 PM

Adger/Rick

I am now working on a tutorial regarding how to use the master Hurricane templates that are used by the OBD team and us assistants.

I have spoken with Polovski and he stated I could release the template with supporting tutorial and he would ensure it is hosted. The proviso is that I must ensure appropriate ownership and use restrictions are included in the release.

I think this may make it much easier for custom skinning.

Rick, I know you have a very good skinning tutorial out there so I am asking if you would assist in this and hopefully we can combine it all as one tool. What say you?

Best Regards

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/18/19 07:28 PM

I say... whoohoo

*edit: hopefully they will at least consider this for WOFF as well, as those have the more flamboyant skins and a good base template with some elements would definitely enhance that product!

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/18/19 09:09 PM

I say... whoohoo

*edit: hopefully they will at least consider this for WOFF as well, as those have the more flamboyant skins and a good base template with some elements would definitely enhance that product!

I can't speak for WOFF Rick and I have no templates for those craft myself. If or when Polovski looks at this thread he may respond on his position. For now, it will only be the Hurricane and at a later date possibly the Spitfire when it is officially released. The Bf109 could also be done but both the Spit and Bf109 have not been approved yet for release.

PM me when you get a chance and I will go over what needs to be done for the Hurc.

Best Regards;
Posted By: Polovski

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/19/19 11:32 AM

WOFF I very much doubt there will be templates as it will be far too much work to prepare 80 aircraft clean templates for a few people that may like them.

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/19/19 11:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback Pol

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 02/20/19 01:47 AM

Thank you all for this,we could see some very cool skins in the future. cheers

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 03/10/19 04:44 AM

Nothing to see here...

Attached picture Damage 1.jpg
Attached picture Damage 2.jpg

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 03/10/19 11:34 PM

You are going to be mad Adger! The new template would have made the skin you wanted to do about a ten minute job! duck

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 03/11/19 03:50 PM

You are going to be mad Adger! The new template would have made the skin you wanted to do about a ten minute job! duck

banghead Haha only kidding Rick,I enjoyed messing around with the various programs. Cutting pasting etc. All this is going to make skinning so much easier pal.

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 03/12/19 01:05 PM

Still Not A Thing To See...

Attached picture Alpha Missing.jpg
Attached picture Untitled.jpg

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 03/31/19 04:41 AM

Why do people keep looking? I said NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

Attached picture Sample Paint.jpg
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Easy/hard to do a Hurricane skin? - 03/31/19 09:00 AM

Yes... still don't know why we have this dull green cockpit colour in game...
© 2024 SimHQ Forums