homepage

Question about the "rock" genre

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Question about the "rock" genre - 03/14/18 11:21 AM

Not counting underground/indie bands, can you think of any genuine rock/hard rock bands that have come on the scene within the past 10 years?
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: Question about the "rock" genre - 03/14/18 02:04 PM

Halestorm - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halestorm

The Pretty Wreckless - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pretty_Reckless

Posted By: David Kennard

Re: Question about the "rock" genre - 03/15/18 01:41 PM

BABYMETAL - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babymetal

Think what you want about the Su-metal, Yuimetal and Moametal the band backing these girls up is legit, they rock so hard

They even have the ol' rock ballad smile

Rob likes them also so they are OK by me also

love this comment:

"that awkward? moment when and older Rob Halford still hits higher notes than a japanese schoolgirl"

the crowds def a throwback to the headbanging hair metal 80's

Posted By: NH2112

Re: Question about the "rock" genre - 03/17/18 02:56 PM

Ghost.

They’re basically the modern equivalent of Alice Cooper or King Diamond.

Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Question about the "rock" genre - 03/18/18 10:32 PM

Babymetal - "The One." Thanks, Dave, that just became the second song of theirs that I like (after "Give Me Chocolate"). Yes, that band is a group of virtuosos! But I have to say that the overall production is so polished that there must be a whole team of pros behind the scenes. I'm impressed with all of it, and that's saying a lot coming from me because I have tended to prefer the more "artsy" bands like Rush, Yes, and Genesis. But after getting over my own pretentiousness, I have come to appreciate good production as much as good art, especially when they come together. smile
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: Question about the "rock" genre - 03/19/18 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Not counting underground/indie bands, can you think of any genuine rock/hard rock bands that have come on the scene within the past 10 years?

It's hard to say, and harder to think if you count out underground/indie bands. I've reached an age (51) where you say 10 years and I'm still thinking 20+ years because it feels the same...lol. Some of the cool bands who still have current new hard rock sound have been around for 15-20+ years already. I'm thinking I have some bands to list like Foo Fighters, Shinedown or Disturbed who are still current, and they've been around for years...lol.

It's too bad I haven't heard them mainstream yet, but Monster Truck from Canada is pretty hard and good, and they're only 5 years old.

Grunge killed the rockin' metal screaming solos that helped define heavy metal/hard rock of the 60s-90s. Although I'd still count Soundgarden as as close to heavy metal as you could get with grunge..lol. Need to redefine what is hard rock anymore.

Off the top of my head I was thinking bands like Mastadon or Wolfmother...but both came out 18 years ago. Halestorm and Pretty Reckless are pretty cool...not a fan of the Baby whatevers...lol.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Question about the "rock" genre - 03/19/18 08:20 AM

I heard this on the local alternative/modern rock station last night and was just blown away.

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Question about the "rock" genre - 03/19/18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Weasel_Keeper

It's hard to say, and harder to think if you count out underground/indie bands. .

I intentionally left out underground/indie bands because the goal of my question was to see and explore why the rock genre as we know it has been largely rejected by the current day mainstream audience.

For example, let's look at the year 1978.

All of these bands were hugely popular with the mainstream:

Boston
Styx
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Genesis
BTO
ELO
Wings
Kansas

You won't find any artists in the top 40 now who sound anything like any of these bands.
Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Re: Question about the "rock" genre - 04/06/18 12:41 PM

Great line-up, great band. Don´t know if there on a indi label or what though...

© 2024 SimHQ Forums