homepage

Did Rock & Roll die in 2015?

Posted By: Linebacker

Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 05:06 AM

2016 Grammy Nominees for Best Rock Song ...

Alabama Shakes – Don’t Wanna Fight
Elle King – Ex’s & Oh’s
James Bay – Hold Back The River
Highly Suspect – Lydia
Florence + The Machine – What Kind Of Man

?????

I’m just happy I'm old enough to remember what Rock & Roll used to be! smile
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 05:13 AM

I can honestly say that I don't know any of those artists but then again I haven't been current with music for at least 10 years or so.

I think it's just an age thing to be honest. I'm sure future generations of people over 35 will still be complaining about the same thing. smile
Posted By: MarkG

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 05:16 AM

I'm not ready to become senior citizen yet, but I'm satisfied I grew up and have lived when I did. Maybe everyone feels this way.

I wish MTV would have a station of nothing but music videos from their first ten years or so of existence. Hell, I might even start watching TV again!

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 05:24 AM

You can see all of those early MTV era videos on YouTube. smile

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 05:33 AM

From what I can tell, today's generation isn't so much into music as the older generations...

+ Listening to the radio while patiently waiting to hear your favorite song (or watching MTV for your favorite video).

+ Staying up on Friday nights until midnight to hear an album played in its entirety and commercial-free (anyone remember this and if so, did you tape it?)

+ Deciding which LP or 45 you were going to spend your money on.

I think we had better music and were forced to have better focus.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
You can see all of those early MTV era videos on YouTube. smile

True, but you have to go looking and select them, I'd rather a passive experience while seeing many videos I'd probably forgotten about.
Posted By: NavyNuke99

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 08:17 AM

The Grammys haven't been actually relevant to real music for a long, long time. After all, Macklemore got the Grammy for Hip Hop for a contrived song about going thrift shopping.

Also, the Alabama Shakes are amazing. Especially when Brittany Howard is both shredding on the guitar and wailing through her lyrics.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 10:30 AM

I can remember listening to Radio Luxembourg when I was a kid in the 70's.It was usually distorted but it played stuff that I wanted to hear.Usually late at night under the bedsheets so not to wake the parents.

I would also listen to the charts on a Sunday evening.Radio 1,Top 40.Trying to tape my favourite songs and cut off the incessant babble from the DJ.Happy days.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkG
From what I can tell, today's generation isn't so much into music as the older generations...

+ Listening to the radio while patiently waiting to hear your favorite song (or watching MTV for your favorite video).

+ Staying up on Friday nights until midnight to hear an album played in its entirety and commercial-free (anyone remember this and if so, did you tape it?)

+ Deciding which LP or 45 you were going to spend your money on.

I think we had better music and were forced to have better focus.

I think the young generation today is just as much into music but the big difference is the change in technology and how that music is consumed.

No need to wait for hours at night listening to a radio station when you can just go online and check out new artists on a Pandora playlist.

Radio stations themselves are quickly becoming an outdated relic.
Posted By: ObvilionLost

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 06:50 PM

Part of newer "generation" here, even I don't know almost 80% of artists from the Grammy. But then again I am one of those people who listen to whatever I want. One day could be listening to Daft Punk, on second day The Clash, on third day Beethoven. And with easy access there are a lot of people who are open to different music, you don't have to think about what record you will buy, you just listen to it on YouTube, get it on iTunes, etc.....

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 11:09 PM

What we didn't have way back is the overwhelming availability of new music we have today, almost anyone can make a "record" and everyone has access to it. So many artists, so much music, only so much time...check this out and move on. And how many times have we heard, "Mainstream music sucks, you have to go digging!"

It use to be easier and more focused I think, and it followed an order...

Hearing "Alive", "Black" and "Jeremy" on the radio thinking, "Damn, what is this? I have to get that album!" (which didn't disappoint).

Going back further...

When will we be getting the next "Dark Side of the Moon" or "2112" or "Thriller"?

Or maybe they get made but are lost in sheer volume?

++++++++++

I never heard of "Alabama Shakes" either until someone here (forget who) started posting videos, the black chick that plays guitar is badass (I believe who NavyNuke99 is referring to).

Which reminds me, I'm getting my pristine Earth Wind & Fire Greatest Hits LP (a lucky Goodwill find) delivered next week when family visits from Atlanta (I had to leave it, no room). What ever happened to music like that?

Good Rock and R&B is all in the past, IMO.

Also, superb music that crosses genres, think we'll ever get another Aja?...

Black Cow
Aja
Deacon Blues
Peg
Home at Last
I Got the News
Josie

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 11:24 PM

Which reminds me, I'm getting my pristine Earth Wind & Fire Greatest Hits LP (a lucky Goodwill find) delivered next week when family visits from Atlanta (I had to leave it, no room). What ever happened to music like that?

If you're talking within the mainstream music scene there is definitely no one making music similar to what Earth Wind & Fire made. I can't even think of any bands today that have horn sections.

But who knows? Maybe in the underground garage band scene there may be bands who still make music like that.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/12/15 11:33 PM

Florence and the Machines isn't too bad...but I loves me some Alabama Shakes!!!

Great song featured in the new iPad Pro commercials.

And just a great bluesy rock song from 2012.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/13/15 12:06 AM

Good stuff indeed. Thanks for posting those Weasel.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/13/15 12:17 AM

Ah, I thought it was Weasel Keeper who was posting the Alabama Shakes, I'm going to watch them after a bandwidth refresh. Yeah, they're good. Thanks.
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/13/15 05:01 AM

Hope the Shakes win big time! Love Them

Rock is not dead in 2015 as long as the Foo's are flying the flag

new music this year from The Dead Weather (w/another flag bearer in Jack White)

lots of Girl Rockers out there kickin' it hard also with new music this year

Halestorm

Dead Sara

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/13/15 05:20 AM

I'm still a little shaky about Alabama Shakes, but my faith in rock is restored with your other picks DK. thumbsup

I also have my eye on a band called "Monster Truck". I think this song called "Don't Tell Me How To Live" was still in Alpha testing phase last summer biggrin ...

Posted By: PV1

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/13/15 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: NavyNuke99
The Grammys haven't been actually relevant to real music for a long, long time. After all, Macklemore got the Grammy for Hip Hop for a contrived song about going thrift shopping.

The grammys started out irrelevant, and barely managed to achieve
marginal relevancy toward the end of their second decade. Consider
that they started in 1958, now knowing the history of music through
the next 15 years, you can probably think of about 20 names of
individuals and groups which produced world changing music in that
period, and sold immense quantities of music at the same time.

Now go look at the list of grammy record, album, and song of the
year for 1958 to 1973, and what name do you find? Oh, look, they
gave the Beatles a grammy for "Michelle" in 1967 (!), and grudgingly
acknowledged Sgt Pepper in '68. Well, the group had only totally
dominated the music biz for the previous four years, so they were
out of ways to ignore them, so a grand total of two grammys
out of a total of 22 during their active period, when they were
universally regarded as the top musical act in the world... err, well
by everybody but the people who chose the grammys. Beyond that,
you will find the lists filled with Frank Sinatra, Percy Faith, Henry
Mancini, even BoB Newhart, and no sign of rock whatsoever. The first
glimmer of chart dominating _pop_ music came with recognition of
the Fifth Dimension, then folk pop by Simon and Garfunkel, James
Taylor, and Carole King, but that begins at the very end of '60s,
and still no rock recognized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Record_of_the_Year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Song_of_the_Year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Album_of_the_Year

Even the best new artist category, which had to acknowledge the
Beatles total domination of record sales in 1965, has almost
no rock entries, even as nominees. In 1967, the tectonic upheaval
year for rock, the award wasn't even given. Cream were nominated in
1969!! apparently it took them that long to learn about the group
which had formed in '66 and dissolved in '68, so that the appalling
irrelevance of the grammys was only underlined when they were beaten
out by *Jose Feliciano*, who had only been on the scene since 1960...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_New_Artist

After the Beatles, the next rock act to make it to best new artist
was CSN&Y, in 1970, and you can reasonably assume the electors only
heard the folk vocal selections of the group's output. It took until
1983 and 84 before rock performance of any sort started to appear
at all in the main award categories of the grammys (this after a small
collection of "best rock" categories were created in 1980 in an abortive
attempt to ghettoize the music), and looking back on the previous 25 years,
the artists not ever recognized so utterly eclipse the vacuous forgettable
winning songs and artists that it is so pathetic as to be beyond embarrassing.
No wonder no one takes this dog and pony show seriously, especially anyone
alive to watch the trainwreck transpire relentlessly every year. A celebration
of fossils rewarding anyone helping to delay progress in the field of music.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/13/15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Linebacker
I also have my eye on a band called "Monster Truck".

Thanks for the heads up on Monster Truck I subscribed to their YT channel and am watching their "Live in Germany" videos right now thumbsup
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/13/15 06:14 PM

When will we be getting the next "Dark Side of the Moon" or "2112" or "Thriller"?

It seems to me that most music today is made to emphasize the single to a much, much greater extent than 45s did back in the day. Albums? Who buys complete albums any more? Only people who always did. Who makes albums these days? Hard rock bands, and that's about it. They're the only ones for whom you'll see an ad saying "_____, the new album by ______. Featuring the single _____." Everything else is "_____ (ft. ______), the new song by _____."

In a way, I like it, because it means no more buying an album and finding out you only like 1 or 2 songs on it. But what I like even more is the cohesiveness of many bands' albums, the experimentation & self-indulgence that could take place on the songs other than the 2 or 3 released as singles, and the COVER ART!

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/13/15 06:35 PM

Cover art? What's that?

wink

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/14/15 03:35 AM

Never heard of Monster Truck until I started playing Rocksmith 2014...and this awesome song!

LB, I probably wouldn't categorize Alabama Shakes as totally rock...more along the lines of folk/blues/rock.
Posted By: Mudcat

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/14/15 09:15 PM

If I didn't know the bands name before I listened I would have thought Monster Truck was Molly Hatchet
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/22/15 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Mudcat
If I didn't know the bands name before I listened I would have thought Monster Truck was Molly Hatchet

Does have some of their qualities.

Wheels
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/22/15 06:46 PM

2016 Grammy Nominees for Best Rock Song ...

Elle King – Ex’s & Oh’s

I’m just happy I'm old enough to remember what Rock & Roll used to be! smile

local radio station was talking to Rob Schneider, I didn't know Elle King was his daughter...

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/22/15 06:54 PM

Seeing that pic of Schneider and his daughter just made me feel really old!
Posted By: NavyNuke99

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/24/15 02:57 AM

They're out there, but you're right, they're getting lost in the sheer volume of fertilizer that's played on the corporate-owned radio stations. Not to mention that the increasinly centralized and remotely operated nature of most stations means that local artists and talent aren't being featured. I mean heck, the "Modern Rock" station in my town has a playlist with an average song age of 12-15 years (we did some research on this once upon a time in an effort to avoid studying), and I'm hearing more Nirvana and Pearl Jam on that station than I ever did in Middle School or High School, when they were new albums.

Why? Because there were other artists, many of them local or regional, who were getting airtime. Some of them made it big, some of them were forever consigned to obscurity, and some are still legends within the South and Mid-Atlantic. That doesn't exist any more, at least not on popular radio. Thank goodness for the internet.

\rant off

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/24/15 12:06 PM

Why? Because there were other artists, many of them local or regional, who were getting airtime. Some of them made it big, some of them were forever consigned to obscurity, and some are still legends within the South and Mid-Atlantic. That doesn't exist any more, at least not on popular radio. Thank goodness for the internet.

\rant off

+1

The ever increasing "corporatizing" nature of radio means that only the biggest and most popular songs within the mainstream get played. At least my local university radio station still plays stuff from local indie bands or stuff from the past that has been largely forgotten.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/25/15 03:10 AM

\rant off

+1

The ever increasing "corporatizing" nature of radio means that only the biggest and most popular songs within the mainstream get played. At least my local university radio station still plays stuff from local indie bands or stuff from the past that has been largely forgotten.

The local "modern rock/alternative" station sounds a lot like what NN was talking about, old songs with a lot of the same stuff that play on the top 40/hot hits stations. It's as programmed as the hot hits or country stations, too - I'm only partly joking when I'd say "it must be the top of the hour now" when "m-m-m-m-mad mad mad" (Madness by Muse) came on. They played it that regularly.
Posted By: Mudcat

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/25/15 08:20 AM

They're out there, but you're right, they're getting lost in the sheer volume of fertilizer that's played on the corporate-owned radio stations. Not to mention that the increasinly centralized and remotely operated nature of most stations means that local artists and talent aren't being featured. I mean heck, the "Modern Rock" station in my town has a playlist with an average song age of 12-15 years (we did some research on this once upon a time in an effort to avoid studying), and I'm hearing more Nirvana and Pearl Jam on that station than I ever did in Middle School or High School, when they were new albums.

\rant off

which one is the modern rock station?

Only difference between today's radio and radio previously, the payola goes right to the corporation who owns all the stations instead of the DJ's, if the radio station even has a DJ locally at all anymore.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/29/15 01:41 AM

Cover art? What's that?

wink

It may not be the elaborate incredibly detailed work of masterful art gracing the cover of an Iron Maiden album, but I like it...

Note to self: Make request for some Ratt ("Lay It Down", "Round and Round" or the more obscure "Between the Eyes" [my personal favorite] will do).

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 12/29/15 11:53 AM

You know, I like the music from Phil Collins but he had the most unimaginative cover art for his solo albums. They were always close-ups of his face. lol
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 01/08/16 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Chucky
I can remember listening to Radio Luxembourg when I was a kid in the 70's.It was usually distorted but it played stuff that I wanted to hear.Usually late at night under the bedsheets so not to wake the parents.

I would also listen to the charts on a Sunday evening.Radio 1,Top 40.Trying to tape my favourite songs and cut off the incessant babble from the DJ.Happy days.

208 on the medium wave smile Ah I remember it well - Kid Jensen's Dimensions, had a decent radio with an external long wire antenna and some good headphones to listen to it on, reception was quite good in Scotland. Also was starting out in electronics at the time and learning about radio which lead to me getting my ham licence.

Between Luxemburg/Kid Jensen and The Old Grey Whistle Test they were my main input of music back then.

Especially when you got the likes of this...

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 01/09/16 01:25 AM

Skynyrd on the other side of the globe, AWESOME! cheers

As many times as I've heard Freebird (I had it on 8-track, it skipped tracks mid-song eek ) and as much as I try to suppress my white trash genes, I must listen to this song one...more...time!

WooHoo!
Posted By: W-Molders

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 01/09/16 08:19 PM

Rock is currently dead... Van Halen brought it back in 78' till about 81' then Guns and Roses brought it back in 87' Died again in roughly 92ish.. and its still dead.

Black Crows sorta dabble in a brief attempt to keep it going but failed.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 01/13/16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: W-Molders
Rock is currently dead... Van Halen brought it back in 78' till about 81' then Guns and Roses brought it back in 87' Died again in roughly 92ish.. and its still dead.

Every so often someone gives me a good idea, I'm now in the middle of an early DLR/VH marathon...

I assume by your dates that you don't approve of 1984. smile I think of it much like "Signals", it doesn't match Rush's earlier stuff but it's part of the soundtrack of my youth. But then so is "Ice Cream Man" and "Sweet Child O' Mine", it's all good! cheers

I like the Crows too, I was living in Atlanta when they formed and made it big, they were the sh*t in those days!

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/19/16 09:18 PM

This was one of the bands I used to listen to when I used to go to the motorcycle rallies in the UK they are still going strong today.

Down and dirty rock n roll/metal

* maybe NSFW wink

Posted By: JoeyJoJo

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/20/16 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: W-Molders

I'm sorry, but that's a pretty narrow view of what "rock" is lol

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/20/16 02:55 PM

Music is such a subjective thing that I don't even bother to argue about it.

What can't be denied though is the massive influence that some bands have had while other bands came and then faded away with a whimper.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/20/16 03:57 PM

Bands keep on trying to keep the Rock Flame alive . . . you just have to look for them in the radio landscape these days

J. Roddy Walston & The Business

Posted By: JoeyJoJo

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/20/16 06:27 PM

Music is such a subjective thing that I don't even bother to argue about it.

What can't be denied though is the massive influence that some bands have had while other bands came and then faded away with a whimper.

Absolutely. I've gotten to the point where I don't even talk about music with some of my friends; it's almost as bad as religion\politics lol!

Just about every musician\band will say they've been influenced by a previous artist. It's ironic because a LOT of bands that I like, have been influenced by bands that I don't listen to. But that's why I like them, they keep that "rock" energy and tweak it enough to sound original.

I'm just glad that I was able to "branch off" from the main stream early; and started discovering a lot of underground\obscure music that, for me, really opened my eyes (even if I didn't enjoy all of it).

Rock is FAR from dead; you just have to know where to look.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/20/16 08:01 PM

I feel fortunate that the music I grew up with and still listen to is apparently so good that people come out by the hundreds to hear it played live today, decades later.

The Molly Ringwalds at the LSU Varsity theater in Baton Rouge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lU9Mj11fkk

Look at the younger faces enjoying an '80s Classic Rock cover! These guys will play for a solid two hours of '80s hits, maybe two or three songs I can do without but otherwise hit after hit after hit from this decade.

Imagine in 30 years or so today's music still being honored and remembered in this way!

For an even more extreme example (that I can't wait to see myself)...

Timeless.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/20/16 10:07 PM

On a related note...

The above Gn'R song is very nostalgic to me, as is all of "Appetite for Destruction". The Molly Ringwalds cover the three biggest hits off the album regularly ("Welcome to the Jungle", "Paradise City", "Sweet Child o' Mine"), and I enjoy hearing those songs played live for a $15.00 to $20.00 ticket.

Sadly, I'm not sure I would enjoy the "real thing" as much...

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/20/16 11:59 PM

On a related note...

The above Gn'R song is very nostalgic to me, as is all of "Appetite for Destruction". The Molly Ringwalds cover the three biggest hits off the album regularly ("Welcome to the Jungle", "Paradise City", "Sweet Child o' Mine"), and I enjoy hearing those songs played live for a $15.00 to $20.00 ticket.

Sadly, I'm not sure I would enjoy the "real thing" as much...

Code:
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIFDpFDpm8[/video]

Gotta agree.

Wheels

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/21/16 01:49 AM

This 61 year old kid should find himself a good rock band to play in! biggrin ...

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/21/16 03:03 AM

This 61 year old kid should find himself a good rock band to play in! biggrin ...

Code:
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbsYc3UNdZ4[/video]

At least get himself a decent lead singer for the band. Unfortunately David just doesn't have it anymore.

Wheels

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/21/16 03:27 AM

In my hypothetical scenario, I say drop David, Wolfgang and even Alex! (incredible drummer)

I think some long running bands just lose their creative edge ... and IMO, rock 'n roll HAS to be edgy!

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/21/16 03:37 AM

I think that’s why I like Jack White so much these days. He still understands rock ‘n roll, he’s an AWESOME guitar player and his vocals and lyrics are pretty damn edgy! smile

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/21/16 07:53 AM

In my hypothetical scenario, I say drop David, Wolfgang and even Alex! (incredible drummer)

I think some long running bands just lose their creative edge ... and IMO, rock 'n roll HAS to be edgy!

Sooo...your dream band would be the Eddie Van Halen "band" doing lead solos all alone all concert long? At least Van Hagar had some rockin' groove...but you want to lose every key player other than Eddie...

screwy

Maybe Eddie could drop everyone, including his awesome brother and drummer, and son who plays bass, and join a new band of has-beens. See: Dead Daisies.

New Rock Band...The Dead Daisies

Members are ex-
GNR
Thin Lizzy
The Cult
Whitesnake
The Rolling Stones
Nine Inch Nails
Divinyls
Motley Crue

Pretty freakin' awesome. smile

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/21/16 10:35 AM

Looks like there are some kids coming up to fill the voids left by passing rockers

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/22/16 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Alicatt
Looks like there are some kids coming up to fill the voids left by passing rockers

Kids like this are great at copying the greats. Sounded a bit sloppy to me and worst of all ... no soul.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/22/16 02:16 AM

I give her credit though, she's talented and has good taste! I remember watching on YouTube a 10 year-old Chinese girl on drums covering YYZ, warmed my heart. smile

What we might not ever get back is the overall ambiance(?) of the originals.

++++++++++

Imagine a VH-like band coming out with a video like this one today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0

Firstly, the feminist (and many men now-days) would be complaining for using "anorexic" models in the video (funny how they were so fine ass back in the day).

Secondly, there would be outrage for objectifying women, and in a school setting at that! Oh, the humanity! eek

But at least we have the nostalgia (and this song is on the Ringwalds' play-list, can't wait to hear it and watch the video on-stage)!
Posted By: digger52

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/22/16 04:38 AM

ive been pondering this exact issue for some time now.

As I grew up in the late 60s early 70s in Australia seeing bands like Deep Purple, Free, Yes, PinK Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc etc , you could see the development of the "stadium"band.
This continued into the 80,s with Dire straights, the Police etc.

Jump forward to now and I watched Roger Waters "the wall"on bluray last night and a massive crowd, massive stage show but what amazed me was the age of the audience, so many young people singing along to each song.

So who are the stadium bands now as many of the acts from the 70s and 80s have gone. the only one I can think of who is "fresh"is The Muse.

Yet many music categories have been handed over to the new generation
The Blues - Garry Clark junior,Dereck Trucks
Alternate - City and Colour , Steven Wilson ( also could be classified as progressive), Decemberists
Progressive - Beardfish Anaethma, Opeth ( also classifed as Metal), Big Big Train

The most vibrant "rock"if you walk into a store in Australia seems to me Heavy Metal which is totally irrelevant to the grammys.

So I dont believe rock is dead, its just gone underground whilst crap fills our airways and television.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/22/16 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: digger52

So I dont believe rock is dead, its just gone underground whilst crap fills our airways and television.

Exactly. What has changed is what is considered to be "mainstream". The type of music put out by bands like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, CCR and The Who back in the 70's was quite "mainstream" but today that same kind of music is underground/indie.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/22/16 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: digger52

Exactly. What has changed is what is considered to be "mainstream". The type of music put out by bands like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, CCR and The Who back in the 70's was quite "mainstream" but today that same kind of music is underground/indie.

That's too bad because music has to be mainstream if it's still to be enjoyed decades later by the masses. Underground/indie will mostly be forgotten except maybe by the few who find and appreciate it.

Why does it matter? To most it probably doesn't, but there are enough of us around to still pack theaters and auditoriums, arenas even, to hear the soundtrack of our youth being played live, often by cover artists. Along with others who are young but enjoy the music of past eras (influenced by their parents, no doubt).

The band we see about every six weeks covers songs that were very mainstream in the '80s, at least most of them (scroll down, although list is incomplete)...

http://themollyringwalds.com/music

...which reminds me, I need to put in a request for Mar. 4:

"Keep On Loving You" - REO Speedwagon
"Take It On The Run" - REO Speedwagon
"Love Song" - Tesla

Being nostalgic in live music is awesome IMO, the ultimate date night! Also, there's *nothing* that lights a fire under my ass as much in wanting to get back to the size and weight of my late teens (before I *really* started packing on the pounds). In doing so I plan to be taken off of blood pressure meds, hopefully in the next few months (as my wife was taken off cholesterol meds last year).

Maybe I'm wrong and too out of touch with modern music and society, seeing the world through nostalgic filters, but I bet in 30 years we're still going to have popular Pink Floyd and '80s cover bands, while the music scene since will have been mostly forgotten. And if I'm still around in 30 years, my wrinkly old half-deaf ass is going to be there to enjoy it!
Posted By: brownba

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/23/16 12:44 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_r8G5aqZHg

There's still some good stuff out there but it's hard to find because rap and pop music seem to steal all the attention.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/23/16 12:17 PM

"Keep On Loving You" - REO Speedwagon
"Take It On The Run" - REO Speedwagon

Great songs! If I was going I'd also request "Hold the Line" and "Africa" by Toto. smile
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/23/16 07:29 PM

Here is a video of my cousin's band doing Van Halen's Ice Cream Man and Hot for Teacher. My cousin is the guitar player. In his late 50''s, had a heart attack, and still rockin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prGF1wA5iQU

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/23/16 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: LB4LB
Here is a video of my cousin's band doing Van Halen's Ice Cream Man and Hot for Teacher. My cousin is the guitar player. In his late 50''s, had a heart attack, and still rockin.

Dude, your cousin and his band are freaking awesome! thumbsup cheers

I'd love to go see your cousin's band play if they were local. I bet you could sit and listen to this guy play all evening, invite him to dinner but tell him to bring his guitar and amp (or acoustic). smile

++++++++++

Spring of 1984, 11th grade, walking my girlfriend to her car (I rode her uncle's school bus...lol). She starts her car to let it warm up ('70s Malibu Classic coupe, 350, family hand-me-down), tape starts playing the beginning of "Ice Cream Man" from a Rock mix tape I made her. We talk for a bit and then I grab her and plant that first kiss (for both of us)! Scariest birds/bees thing I ever did, but despite how nervous I was feeling the mechanics and chemistry just worked. Everything that followed seemed easy by comparison (over years though wink ).

Unfortunately "Ice Cream Man" came out on VH's debut album in 1978 so we won't be hearing it at an 80's cover show, but there's enough songs they play to satisfy our nostalgic pleasures. "Summer Of '69" was a biggy at the last show, anything off of Bryan Adams' "Reckless" (1984) will make us smile. I doubt they'll ever get as sappy as "Heaven", just have to save that one for when we get home. wink

I wonder what today's generation will remember as the soundtrack to their youth? Special songs, special albums, it *can't* be as cool as VH and other Classic Rock, can it? Music that makes you feel like a kid again.
Posted By: LB4LB

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/23/16 09:09 PM

Growing up he always had his guitar with him. When we were playing street hockey and such, he was inside practicing scales. He has actually made money as a studio artist (played on a Aretha Franklin record and a few Ford commercials). His band is REALLY good. Only thing is they play on the other side of town mostly, and when I get together with him, well the beers tend to taste a lot better. Glug, glug.

Here is their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/drsmithdetroit/

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/24/16 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: LB4LB

WOW! thumbsupthumbsup

Loved the segue into Hot for Teacher at around 3:20.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/28/16 01:07 AM

I wanted to make a couple of final comments on this thread...

I became a teenager in 1980, an adult in 1985, married my only girlfriend in 1988. The decade of the '80s was my coming of age and my first *everything* (job, car, love, etc.). '80s music is the soundtrack of my youth and now in my 40's I'm using '80s nostalgia to better my health and my marriage, and it just keeps getting better! Hell, even the setting of my life's project (F-19 redo) has a mid-'80s time frame, the original game even being released in the '80s (1988). I live and breathe the '80s, at least that's how it feels.

But if I were to look over my entire music library objectively, for the most part '80s music sucks! biggrin Everything really good, holy and epic was released in the 1970s, with a little carried over into the year 1980. If I *had* to pick only a single decade of music that I could keep, it would be a no-brainier! All of my '80s, '90s and post-'90s crap would have to go, not even a decision to make.

Besides, there's enough '70s nostalgia (e.g. "Ice Cream Man") to fan the flames. wink

The '70s were not *my* decade as I was too young, but IMO every decade of music since (by comparison) is/was crap. So when I ask "What happened to good music?" I'm really asking, "Why has music been so crappy since the 1970s?! biggrin

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/28/16 01:50 AM

You might have a point there Mark! smile

Take my favorite band Led Zeppelin for example ... disbanded in 1980 due to the death of John Bonham.

My other favorite band RUSH barely made it into the ‘80’s before they got boring. I have a feeling producer Terry Brown leaving after Signals (1982) might’ve had something to do with that. Moving Pictures (1981) was an absolute masterpiece!

Speaking of RUSH, has anyone seen “RUSH – The Rise of Kings 1968 - 1981”?

I’m interested in watching “yet another” RUSH documentary. biggrin

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/28/16 03:21 AM

Can't have too many Rush documentaries. smile I'll watch this one on YouTube, it won't match "Beyond the Lighted Stage" (I believe the last time I was in a movie theater) but I'll watch it anyway. That video makes me sad though, to know that it's over. frown Those concerts were good times for us.

It was never a surprise to me that a Rush show, the '70s to early '80s songs were the ones to get the most applause (and, err..."fog").

I expect to hear "Subdivisions" at my next '80s concert (they've been working on it), it's not Rush but at least Rush is being honored, the crowd loved "Tom Sawyer".

It occurred to me going through my music, the '70s were about getting high, the '80s about getting poon. smile What were the '90s about, getting angry? confused

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/28/16 03:46 AM

<snip> It occurred to me going through my music, the '70s were about getting high, the '80s about getting poon. smile What were the '90s about, getting angry? confused

I’ll be turning 50 this year so ya, I was pretty angry in the ‘90’s! smile In a musical retrospect, I quite liked the anger. It got the blood boiling! biggrin

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 02/28/16 07:54 PM

^LOL! biggrin

A warm and fuzzy love song from the '90s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awY1MRlMKMc

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 03/03/16 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: brownba
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_r8G5aqZHg

There's still some good stuff out there but it's hard to find because rap and pop music seem to steal all the attention.

No offense brownba, but this is exactly what I'm talking about!

I intentionally put off this post until I could listen to the newer music on this thread multiple times to see if anything would stick. Since I'm usually in bed from 2AM - 7AM (or busy with the morning routine) when my bandwidth is unmonitored, I have to pace myself with YouTube during the day.

I'm just not feeling it, even after multiple listens, sorry.

Without referring to any mega-bands (or power ballads), this is some of the older Rock for comparison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx6f68Wd9dc

I never needed to warm up to these songs, they had me hooked on first listen. They move me...still. I just don't get new music and probably never will. frown

And don't even get me started on traditional '70s/'80s "black" music! smile

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 03/04/16 12:00 AM

Just to be clear, "Cult of Personality" was released in 1988. "Uncles Tom's Cabin" was released in 1991 (I believe), although Warrant was known as a late 80's hair band, also cranking out the likes of "Cherry Pie" (1990) and the sappy power ballad "Heaven" (1988 - which is of course on my Shuffle smile ). <Not to be confused with Bryan Adams' "Heaven" (1984)>.

Let's not forget the early-to-mid 80's also gave us all the good Metallica! Some of my friends either listened to Metallica or Mötley Crüe, but not both. I listened to both, I could go from "Creeping Death" to "Without You" on a dime, depending on my mood and circumstances. <"Shout at the Devil" album will always remind me of the evening after "Footloose" opening night when I knew I had fallen in love...lol>.

If you think about it, there was already a transition of Rock moving away from glam/sex in the late 80's to early 90's, it wasn't like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" suddenly destroyed what we think of as typical '80s Rock. Unfortunately (IMO), it did help destroy some of the fun and virtuososness(?) of Rock. But then there's some pretty good playing in Pearl Jam's "Ten" (e.g. "Even Flow") so some Grunge still required skill.

I loved 90's Grunge/Alternative for those first few years (guess I was a little angry too smile ) and I have the CD collection to prove it, but it's not something I often revisit. It's just not fun or inspiring.
Posted By: PV1

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 03/04/16 08:52 AM

Living Colour, Vernon Reid, I saw him playing with
Spectrum Road (Jack Bruce, John Medeski, Cindy Blackman
Santana), he was one of Jack Bruce's favourite
guitarists, appeared on about ten of his albums.
That's a pretty eminent company.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 03/04/16 02:14 PM

That's awesome, PV1. I remember being blown away by these guys.

"Cult of Personality" was their most popular song, but this song off the same album (Vivid) was always my favorite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5VkMqM07s

"Now you can tear a building down
But you can't erase a memory"

...with views of the Twin Towers in the video.

Released in 1988.

Re: Did Rock & Roll die in 2015? - 03/04/16 02:17 PM

"Living Colour" really was very unique and they rocked!

How many other all black hard rock bands with mainstream success can you name? lol
© 2024 SimHQ Forums