homepage

Your most favorite band/artist?

Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/07/15 06:16 PM

Okie - if you can only name one - what is your most favorite artist/band ever?

Mine is the immortal Queen

I have many bands that almost reach the same spot, but Queen has held my captivation since the mid 80s when I got old enough to appreciate them (between the Works and A Kind of Magic).
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/07/15 06:39 PM

Tricky.

Would have been Mike Oldfield (but only up to 1992)- After that he went a bit meh.

It's close,MUSE are near the top but I would say at the moment it's Grandaddy.

Posted By: RossUK

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/07/15 08:12 PM

Difficult. For me it would have to be Tool. Classy band and each album they've done unique in their own way. "Lateralus" is a masterpiece of prog in my opinion.

Posted By: komemiute

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/07/15 08:38 PM

Nine Inch Nails
Posted By: RossUK

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/07/15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: komemiute
Nine Inch Nails

It was either them or Tool for me. Amazing live, Hesitation Marks was best album of last year for me. His soundtrack work is excellent too.
Posted By: bisher

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/07/15 09:37 PM

Hmm I do like Queen, Tool, and Nine Inch Nails as well

I do very much enjoy listening to the music of The Smashing Pumpkins, though the band that had the biggest influence on me would be Pink Floyd
Posted By: Legend

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/08/15 01:43 AM

So many good bands out there... but I also choose Queen.

Posted By: carrick58

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/08/15 02:20 AM

wave
Artist:

https://youtu.be/ZSwx2MdUKzw

Band:

https://youtu.be/_0LTRPMpOVM

or

https://youtu.be/PdpAop7gp0w

actually there's a few more.
Posted By: NH2112

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/08/15 10:34 AM

Rush, though they're more "first among equals" with me. They have an album or 2 that do nothing for me, but I still admire their incredible technical proficiency. People say the music has no "feel" to it, but to me the perfection in the mathematics of sound is just as good as "feel."
Posted By: Top Gun

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/08/15 12:24 PM

all time would be Van Halen, back in HS I was constantly drawing their logo VH

my theme song for my air show visits.

Posted By: arthur666

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/08/15 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Chucky
Tricky.

Would have been Mike Oldfield (but only up to 1992)- After that he went a bit meh.

It's close,MUSE are near the top but I would say at the moment it's Grandaddy.

Thanks Chucky.
That's one of those bands that I forgot I needed to get around to listening to.

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/08/15 08:23 PM

My pleasure.They didn't make many albums,4 I think but I can listen to them again and again...
Posted By: David Kennard

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/08/15 10:02 PM

wow . . .one huh . . .

R.E.M.

Live in 1985

Unplugged 1991

Live in 2004

Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/09/15 03:14 AM

Only one? Tough choice, but I'll go with Genesis.

Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/09/15 01:31 PM

The Beatles. Without a doubt.
Posted By: purolator

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/09/15 05:21 PM

Only one is tough.

Front Line Assembly
Posted By: Staniol

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/10/15 11:43 AM

Hard question, but I am still 20 inside so its Iron Maiden.
My favourite song is:

Posted By: NH2112

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/10/15 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Staniol
Hard question, but I am still 20 inside so its Iron Maiden.
My favourite song is:

Definitely can't go wrong with Maiden! One thing I notice about them and a lot of other older bands is that they have FUN playing live. So many bands look pissed off the entire time they're on stage.

I'd have an even harder time picking my favorite Maiden song than I did picking my favorite band, but this one would be in the top 3 (with "Alexander the Great" and "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" filling out the rest.)

Posted By: Ajay

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/11/15 02:37 PM

I'll put my hand up for Metallica. Metallica was the band that really blew my mind when i first heard Master of Puppets, man. Leading up to them it was all heavy stuff, ACDC, Sabbath, Ozzy, Maiden, Judas Priest etc and these days it's a lot more chillstep than it is metal, but those four lads really put Metal right out there.
Posted By: Skoop

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/12/15 10:37 PM

FUGAZI

Most respected band in the industry. Proof you can stay indie by running your own label (discord records) and do it your way and still be successful.
They are basically old D.C punk rockers that grew up and learned to play more than 3 cords like most teenage punk bands. They were doing alternative in 1988 before there was even a genera for that. They were recently featured by Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways on HBO.
Posted By: Udidwht

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/13/15 10:51 AM

Better than all so far...The none other... Hammer of the Gods

Led Zeppelin
Posted By: Tigerwulf

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/13/15 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Skoop
FUGAZI

Most respected band in the industry. Proof you can stay indie by running your own label (discord records) and do it your way and still be successful.
They are basically old D.C punk rockers that grew up and learned to play more than 3 cords like most teenage punk bands. They were doing alternative in 1988 before there was even a genera for that. They were recently featured by Dave Grohl's Sonic Highways on HBO.

Oooh good choice.

We used to cover 'Do you like me' in a band I was in at college.

I'd have to say for me it's The Wildhearts. EVERYONE in the audience sings at one of their gigs, it's infectious.

Posted By: Brennus

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/14/15 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: RossUK
"Lateralus" is a masterpiece of prog in my opinion.

Posted By: Linebacker

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/14/15 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Udidwht
Better than all so far...The none other... Hammer of the Gods

Led Zeppelin

+1

but hey, tonight I feel like another bomb track from Rage Against the Machine feat. Maynard.

TIGHT! (and the crowd goes friggin' nuts!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2K2hSB4fEU
Posted By: speedbump

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/14/15 11:16 PM

Eric Steckel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLMBuj-s5j4
Posted By: semmern

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/18/15 11:14 PM

The most underrated guitar player of all time: Mark Knopfler. Been to five of his concerts, and they have all been amazing. Telegraph Road and Brothers In Arms live..say no more.
Posted By: -E

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/19/15 01:23 AM

...learned to play more than 3 cords like most teenage punk bands.

Obviously, you're exaggerating. Your timeline doesn't match the facts...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Punk scientists discover fourth chord
24-03-15

LEADING punk scientists have confirmed the existence of a fourth chord.

Punk scientists have been researching the possibility of an additional chord since the late 70s, but only in a haphazard DIY manner.

Researcher Mary Fisher at the #%&*$# Your Mum Punk Laboratory said: “One of our team was frantically strumming while buzzing on amphetamines and he just kind of came across it.

If we had known about this chord forty years ago maybe we could have smashed the system.

“Still, it’s better to take a while than to be too technical because then you end up with prog rock*.”

She added: “If there is a fourth then maybe there is a fifth or even a sixth, though sadly they will not be discovered in my lifetime.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Article: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/scien...d-2015032496607

* Speaking of prog rock and favorites... I can't say a single band is my favorite. I can only get that list down to three and one of those is Genesis (1970-1977 only.
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 04/20/15 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Top Gun

Been awhile since I saw a VH Blue Angels video. I always liked the version when they were flying the A-4's the best.

Wheels
Posted By: Cicero

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/02/15 03:31 PM

FUGAZI

Probably my favorite rock band as well. Repeater is certainly my favourite rock album (that or In On The Kill Taker). I've met and interviewed Ian. Nice guy. Highlight that day, though, was getting to watch them do their soundcheck.

I'm not a huge rock music fan, but I do love my Fugazi.

Merchandise is probably my favourite tune by them, with Waiting room a close second.
Posted By: redpiano

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/05/15 06:53 AM

Pink Floyd and Queen are the only two that have a dozen or more songs I love and listen to all the time. So let's go with Pink Floyd since nobody has posted them yet.

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/05/15 09:35 AM

I only 'discovered' Pink Floyd about 10 years ago at the age of 45 and The Great Gig In The Sky is one of my favourite tracks.Great choice redpiano thumbsup
Posted By: redpiano

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/05/15 09:43 AM

Yeah I was given a Pink Floyd CD for my 15th birthday but didn't really begin to appreciate their work until recently and Great Gig in the Sky is just fantastic, easily my favorite of theirs as well.

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/05/15 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Chucky
I only 'discovered' Pink Floyd about 10 years ago at the age of 45 and The Great Gig In The Sky is one of my favourite tracks.Great choice redpiano thumbsup

You didn't discover them until you were 45? Turn in your Englishman card right this instant!!

neaner

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/05/15 05:32 PM

Shameful isn't it? sigh
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/05/15 09:30 PM

I took my son to see the Australian Pink Floyd Show.

My duties as a father are complete. Unless the real PF tour again...
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/05/15 11:00 PM

Well, the qualification is "favorite" as opposed to "best" so I don't need to qualify with a dissertation:
Rush. Fortunately, most people seem to know enough about them to love, hate, or be indifferent to their music so I won't have to explain anything that YouTube or WikiPedia can't tell you about them.

But since YouTube videos are the norm in these threads, let's see . . . here is Entre Nous live:
Posted By: piper

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/05/15 11:21 PM

Jimmy Buffett hands down.

Over the years my musical tastes have changed, but have never grown tired of listening to his music. He really can't sing.
And not a good guitar player, but love his lyrics and songs. Plus he stacks the deck with a good band/performers.
Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/25/15 04:03 PM

Tons of great bands, but currently the one I had to have tickets to see in August is the Foo Fighters! I don't think there's a song they've done that I haven't liked.
Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 05/25/15 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Top Gun

YES got to go with Van Halen as well.. Fair warning is my all time favorite.. But That video is super cool wink
Posted By: -E

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 06/11/15 09:42 AM

Originally Posted By: JohnnyChemo
Only one? Tough choice, but I'll go with Genesis.

Foghat, UFO and Nazareth always come to mind, but I'd have to say Genesis. But before your clip. Trespass through Seconds Out. And then There Were Three is only half Genesis. Every album after that was a complete sell-out. Albeit a very successful sell-out...

I saw a lot of concerts in the 70's. Genesis blew them all away (and that was at a time when I'd never even heard of them or their music!)

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 06/11/15 10:54 AM

Sell out? After Peter Gabriel left the group the musical style was bound to change anyway.
Posted By: McGonigle

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 06/15/15 01:51 PM

This band has been with me since about 1976/77

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 06/15/15 02:06 PM

I first discovered Klaatu when looking for Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft some years ago.I was of course looking for the Carpenters version (the only one I knew) but I think Klaatu's version is better.Little Neutrino is one of my favourite tracks.Time to re-visit a few of their albums I think yep
Posted By: McGonigle

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 06/15/15 06:12 PM

If you've been away for a long time Chucky, you may not know that Terry Draper and Dee Long from Klaatu have their own Youtube channels these days, and several very good solo albums out as well. smile
Posted By: Vertigo1

Re: Your most favorite band/artist? - 08/06/15 02:07 AM

If I'm limited to one, probably Alice in Chains
© 2024 SimHQ Forums