homepage

SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10

Posted By: KodiakJac

SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 04/16/16 07:55 PM

How to run SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Windows 10

1. Run directx_Jun2010_redist found in your WOFF DX9Redist folder here C:/ODBSoftware/WOFF/Toolbox/DX9Redist

It will dump a bunch of zip files and another application called "DXSETUP" in your folder (I just ran it directly in the WOFF/Toolbox/DX9Redist folder). Then run DXSETUP and you're done. DXSETUP knows where all the DX9 files on your computer are and the update is fully automatic. This is a Microsoft program and completely safe.

You must do this first step even if you already have DirectX 9 installed and working fine. Windows 10 does not have a full installation of DX9, it essentially has the "Lite" version instead. Doing Step 1 will give you a full installation of DX9 including some files essential to SweetFX. And doing Step 1 is recommended by OBD entirely unrelated to running SweetFX.

2. Backup your D3D8 Configuration Settings files (D3D8.ini) found here

C:/OBDSoftware/WOFF/OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields

and here

C:/OBDSoftware/WOFF/WOFFScenery/Shaders

(two files with the same name found in two different locations)

3. Then change NoMultisampling=0 to NoMultisampling=1 in both D3D8 Configuration Settings files using Windows Notepad and save them. (You must use a text editor like Notepad for this, not a word processor like Word that will change the file format).

Note: These two files SHOULD NOT be write protected, and in fact, making them "Read Only" (as we did in the past) will cause WOFF 3 to crash.

That's it!
Posted By: AceMedic88

Re: How to fix SweetFX to run on Windows 10 - 04/16/16 08:00 PM

JSGME is the way to go. Flightfx route was the true problem for me, but the directx download which I too had forgotten and JSGME made it happen. Thank you, Bucksnort for the many, many messages and helping me out.

Re: How to run SweetFX on Windows 10 - 04/17/16 12:19 AM

thumbsup

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/05/16 03:17 AM

Updated OP with new method to run SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10.
Posted By: OldHat

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/05/16 05:21 AM

Many thanks, Bucksnort. I didn't know that the file was also in the scenery/shaders folder.
Posted By: Banjoman

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/05/16 01:19 PM

Bucksnort, I'm using the JGSME enabled SweetFX that you sent me. Does it have all of this already?

PM sent.
Posted By: Adger

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/05/16 02:55 PM

Thanks Buck..its now working perfectly cheers
Posted By: Andy73

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/07/16 07:35 AM

Where can I download this JSGME-Version of SweetFX? I haven't found anything about this. Any Help would be appreciated.

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 04:50 AM

PM sent.
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 09:05 AM

Errr...Wow!
Seems like I have been saying that a lot since the release of WOFF 3 but I guess I'll have to say it again.
Most impressive Bucksnort. Things are looking very nice and without the apparent overall "artificial darkening" of some iterations.
Nice job.

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 09:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

3. Then change NoMultisampling=0 to NoMultisampling=1 in both D3D8 Configuration Settings files using Windows Notepad and save them. (You must use a text editor like Notepad for this, not a word processor like Word that will change the file format).

FYI - SweetFx is great, but if you want to keep WOFF's original colors without resorting to installing SweetFx, then only do this step and skip the SweetFx installation.

Better yet, speak up to have it part of Workshop settings in this thread.
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4256458/Adding_a_workshop_function_to_#Post4256458

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 10:42 AM

"FYI - SweetFx is great, but if you want to keep WOFF's original colors without resorting to installing SweetFx, then only do this step and skip the SweetFx installation."

You have me confused here sir.
I can have the very nice sharpening of Bucksnort's settings AND more color?

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 11:12 AM

Bucksnort's SweetFx Settings - you need to install SweetFx and copy Bucksnort's settings, then set NoMultisampling=1 in both locations.

Stock WOFF without SweetFx - only set NoMultisampling=1 in both locations.

---------------------------------

What is the difference between using NoMultisampling=1 and NoMultisampling=0 in Stock WOFF if you're not going to use SweetFx?

NoMultisampling=1 will use the GPU's aa and ignore WOFF's aa.

NoMultisampling=0 will not use the GPU's aa and will use WOFF's aa.

In both cases, Stock WOFF colors will not be changed since there is no SweetFx installed.

I hope that clarifies it a bit.

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 11:23 AM

It does but, if I truly understand, then I don't get the SweetFX sharpening which I like.
Been a while since I goofed with the SweetFX .ini file.
IIRC I think there is a setting there to perk up the color a tad? That is my one (albeit minor) complaint. I do like the stock colorization.

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 11:28 AM

Lumasharpen inside sweetfx_settings.txt file.

But you might not need it if your GPU can handle high aa settings.

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 11:30 AM

I crank up my Nvidia card (GTX 970) as high as it can go and the SweetFX sharpening still makes it looks nicer.
Just got to give the color a slight kick in the arse.

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 03:33 PM

"IIRC I think there is a setting there to perk up the color a tad?"

Hi Duke (and guys),

If you were using my profile (for instance) I only use three SweetFX functions:

Lumasharpen and Curves for image sharpening (at least that's what I call it)

Vibrance to increase color saturation.

So for image sharpening but no color enhancement (strictly OBD colors) set Vibrance to "0" in the top section and it has been disabled (no need to set the parameters in the bottom section to "0" to shut it off). This will leave the sharpening functions active.

If you decide you want to put a little color back in, then play with the Vibrance number in the bottom section (after setting Vibrance back to "1" in the top section to turn it on). I'm using 0.20 right now, but you could start with 0.01 or maybe 0.05

You can also adjust the R/G/B balance, but I just stick with the main Vibrance number which either increases or decreases the strength of the OBD colors uniformly so I don't get things out of whack. The way I'm using Vibrance is more of a color intensity adjustment than a color balance adjustment (adjusting between the colors).

Remember, you can use the "Scroll Lock" key to toggle SweetFx on/off in-game to see your changes and to test if it is working in general.

OldHat: Very clever way to turn off in-game AA without using SweetFX. If it were a snake, it would have bitten me! hahaha

Cheers! cheers

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 03:37 PM

Thanks Bucksnort I will play around with it after lunch.
So to get the "pre-SweetFX" color back I would make the vibrance number smaller?
Or am I just having a bad mental day...maybe it's surfing here on the small phone screen.

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 04:33 PM

To get the pure OBD "pre-SweetFX" color back set the Vibrance number in the top section to "0" and it is disabled.

Every setting appears twice in the SweetFX settings file. The top section is where you turn settings on and off: 0=off, 1=on

The bottom section is where you adjust the settings. If the function is set to "0" in the top section then the setting is off and the bottom section has no effect. So to play with the color, set Vibrance to 1 in the top section to turn it on, and then adjust the Vibrance setting in the bottom section to suit.
thumbsup

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 04:39 PM

Ok got it that time. Thank you.
Whew...old age kinda sucks.

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/08/16 05:52 PM

Oh yea.
With Digital Vibrance off I get the best of both worlds - the original color profile AND the sharpening.
Thanks Bucksnort!

Re: SweetFX with WOFF 3 and/or Win 10 - 05/09/16 02:50 AM

thumbsup
© 2024 SimHQ Forums