homepage

Oculus = dropped

Posted By: Sgigi

Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 04:43 PM

From loft;

"He is really cool. But since then, things have changed. Campaign sold, and before the sale Oculus started to say it's not for the hardcore games. At some point they just denied us all to cooperate. The new owner of this device do not see any future for him on the PC. So it seems that there is no Oculus there at the moment, there are a few expensive and useless prototypes. To us specifically, Oculus nobody cares. Therefore, we have lowered the priority of the work on this device to the trash."
Posted By: bongodriver

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 04:53 PM

Nothing surprises me there.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 05:05 PM

So it's not 1CGS's fault that support was dropped for DX9? Maybe now they can concentrate on other things.
Posted By: SkullBiscuit

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 05:10 PM

Remember who owns this company now (Oculus)

It's Facebook! When that happened you can see where this is going.....it's Farmville, mass numbers, and tracking user interactions for the purpose of marketers
Posted By: LuseKofte

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bongodriver
Nothing surprises me there.

Well after Facebook bought it , there has been no news from it, I know you like to blame this on the devīs , but as OR currently works, only 1/5 of those owning a D2 OR can actually use it for flight sims. The rest suffer from severe headache or get disoriented and dizzy.
OR in current state, has not convinced anyone to buy it.
In fact those who own it , recommend everybody to wait for the final release, does anyone know about when?

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 05:20 PM

the consumer version is anticipated for the end of this year, I own the DK2 and have none of the issues mentioned.
many people experience the current DK's and comment immediately on the shorcomings as if it is a final product, that is why it is often advised to wait for the final release.
Thankfully there are developers who are not so short sighted (pardon the pun) and are going ahead with OR implementation safe in the knowledge that there will not be any annoying Farmville pop ups in the middle of game play.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 05:20 PM

Uhh what?

They were at ces just a few weeks ago.

What do you mean by no news?

Edit: this was in response to leone. Thanks bongo.
Posted By: Chivas

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Sgigi
From loft;

"He is really cool. But since then, things have changed. Campaign sold, and before the sale Oculus started to say it's not for the hardcore games. At some point they just denied us all to cooperate. The new owner of this device do not see any future for him on the PC. So it seems that there is no Oculus there at the moment, there are a few expensive and useless prototypes. To us specifically, Oculus nobody cares. Therefore, we have lowered the priority of the work on this device to the trash."

Do you have link for that quote?

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 07:24 PM

First post by loft in this thread

http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/5-voprosy-razrabotchikam/page-49

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 07:40 PM

Interesting

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 07:42 PM

Some are suggesting that Facebook is hobbling hard-core PC projects which is ridiculous. The problem is not Facebook, the problem is Latencies/Framerates/Refresh rates etc etc in complex sims. The OR was never being built exclusively for games, and has almost unlimited uses, long before Facebook got involved. Infact, so far it appears Facebook has been surprisingly handsoff.

I can understand the Oculus Rift developers not bothering with DX9 games, if the consumer version of the Rift needs all the help it can get from later DX features to be successful.

The BOS development has a habit of blaming others for any of their perceived deficiencies. I was surprised that 777Studios didn't upgrade the game engine to atleast some DX10 features while making the content for BOS. BOS probably has far greater priorities, than providing resources to upgrade their game engine.

Apparently DCS World is still working closely with the OR development, while building further support for the OR in their new EDGE DX11 graphic engine. If BOS gets left behind they have no one to blame but themselves.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 07:44 PM

They will have a bloody good go at blaming everyone else though.
Posted By: lokitexas

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/28/15 08:11 PM

Sour grapes.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 02:06 AM

I was right.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/14303-oculus-support-looking-iffy/#entry226124

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 02:12 AM

But he explains it away by saying that their engine is too complex and graphically intensive for oculus to handle.

What a joke. The environment is mostly empty and what is there is low detail. The aircraft aren't very high in poly count and the lod models mean they are even lower at any kind of distance. Then he says the game has huge environments, as though that somehow makes them harder to render rofl rofl rofl

I'd like to use a few utilities to find out how many polys are being rendered at any given time in bos. I bet it doesn't exceed a half million when in the air.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 02:13 AM

Yeah.

"Essentially, their hardware could not run a hardcore sim like ours in 3D with what they deemed acceptable framerates"

No mention that an old Dx9 engine would eventually start showing some shortcomings.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 02:20 AM

Lol yeah, lucky we have primitive software like DCS with their low poly models, I wonder how much influence Oculus are putting on DCS in order for them to have their hands held.
Posted By: FlyingMonkey

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 02:34 AM

Oh, come on, what a load of rubbish! Couldn't they just say: "well, Oculus is dropping support for DX9, so we won't be able to implement Oculus Rift support" or something honest along those lines.

Instead, we're served this BS and are taken for idiots. Indeed, BOS is too complex a simulation for the Rift, but thankfully we have these arcade games such as DCS and Prepar3d to use with the Rift.

I used to have a moderate point of view on the IL2 BOS situation, but there's a limit to how much rubbish I can swallow. These guys won't see my money again in the future, they're just too pathetic...
Posted By: SharpeXB

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 02:58 AM

Running a flight sim well in VR means dual 4K or higher images at probably 100fps. I don't think hardware is up to that task yet.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
Running a flight sim well in VR means dual 4K or higher images at probably 100fps. I don't think hardware is up to that task yet.

Where the hell are you getting this dual 4k stuff from?

Its 960x1080 per eye, not even full 1080p each.

But amazingly there are other flight sims that support rift right now. So clearly the hardware is there. For some reason bos doesn't. Wonder why... dx9... something... something. ...

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 03:34 AM

Also, you don't actually need to have the game rendering everything at 75 fps (the current standard for low persistence, 90 or 100 fps is what might become the consumer version standard) - there's a trick called asynchronous timewarp which lets you render your game as much as you can, say 35 frames per second, but display it on the Rift at 75 fps - this allows the head tracking to refresh your head position while the scene is rendered less often (at a wide fov). The Prepar3d VR plugin, DCOC,uses that and it lets me play complex addons such as the Aerosoft Airbus X or Captain Sim planes in complete smoothness despite the game actually rendering at 30 or even 20 fps (but if it gets too low you get some artefacts in your peripheral vision).

In short, it's absolutely possible to run complex sims right now with an Oculus Rift, and many developer have found great ways to implement that. I run DCS World in it, I run complex airliners addons + OrbX scenery in Prepar3d with it (but you do need a GTX 970 - what I have - or 980 to do that well). The Il2 BOS team is trying to pretend that the Oculus Rift is not for simulations, but simulations have actually been at the forefront of successful VR implementations, and it extends to other things than flight sim such as motor sims with Euro Truck Simulator 2, Assetto Corsa, Live for Speed, rFactor 2, as well as other great sim-like games such as Elite Dangerous, Lunar Flight. The list of games which I'm enjoying playing on DK2 (to cite some more: Half Life 2, Alien Isolation) is actually long enough that I don't have enough time to play them (and don't play on monitor at all these days). And that's not even mentionning the huge scene of freeware developers experimenting with short games/experiences all the time (eg the Battle of Endor, which is basically an Xwing game in VR). So I find the excuse "it can't be done, it's not for hardcore games" not very convincing, that's all.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 03:57 AM

But amazingly there are other flight sims that support rift right now. So clearly the hardware is there. For some reason bos doesn't. Wonder why... dx9... something... something. ...

To have decent resolution, enough to recognize distant aircraft, yes you'd need at least 4K per eye since the image is enlarged to life size. I've heard 1080p is too blurry. Immersive and cool no doubt, but too blurry. 1080x1920 is quite low res for a flight sim even on a desktop sized display.
Perhaps a DK owner can comment.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: FlyingMonkey
Also, you don't actually need to have the game rendering everything at 75 fps (the current standard for low persistence, 90 or 100 fps is what might become the consumer version standard) - there's a trick called asynchronous timewarp which lets you render your game as much as you can, say 35 frames per second, but display it on the Rift at 75 fps - this allows the head tracking to refresh your head position while the scene is rendered less often (at a wide fov). The Prepar3d VR plugin, DCOC,uses that and it lets me play complex addons such as the Aerosoft Airbus X or Captain Sim planes in complete smoothness despite the game actually rendering at 30 or even 20 fps (but if it gets too low you get some artefacts in your peripheral vision).

In short, it's absolutely possible to run complex sims right now with an Oculus Rift, and many developer have found great ways to implement that. I run DCS World in it, I run complex airliners addons + OrbX scenery in Prepar3d with it (but you do need a GTX 970 - what I have - or 980 to do that well). The Il2 BOS team is trying to pretend that the Oculus Rift is not for simulations, but simulations have actually been at the forefront of successful VR implementations, and it extends to other things than flight sim such as motor sims with Euro Truck Simulator 2, Assetto Corsa, Live for Speed, rFactor 2, as well as other great sim-like games such as Elite Dangerous, Lunar Flight. The list of games which I'm enjoying playing on DK2 (to cite some more: Half Life 2, Alien Isolation) is actually long enough that I don't have enough time to play them (and don't play on monitor at all these days). And that's not even mentionning the huge scene of freeware developers experimenting with short games/experiences all the time (eg the Battle of Endor, which is basically an Xwing game in VR). So I find the excuse "it can't be done, it's not for hardcore games" not very convincing, that's all.

So to increase the apparent frame rate it's just adding frames like 120hz TVs do?

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 04:10 AM

To have decent resolution, enough to recognize distant aircraft, yes you'd need at least 4K per eye since the image is enlarged to life size. I've heard 1080p is too blurry. Immersive and cool no doubt, but too blurry. Perhaps a DK owner can comment.

First you say the hardware doesn't exist to run it at 4k.

Then when its pointed out that oculus isn't 4k per eye you claim you have to have 4k to spot contacts.

What are you basing this on?

Because if you can spot an aircraft on a 1080p monitor at several feet away, then why not on a 1080p screen a few cm from your eye and with the apparent size of the screen much larger?

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 04:32 AM

To have decent resolution, enough to recognize distant aircraft, yes you'd need at least 4K per eye since the image is enlarged to life size. I've heard 1080p is too blurry. Immersive and cool no doubt, but too blurry. Perhaps a DK owner can comment.

First you say the hardware doesn't exist to run it at 4k.

Then when its pointed out that oculus isn't 4k per eye you claim you have to have 4k to spot contacts.

What are you basing this on?

Because if you can spot an aircraft on a 1080p monitor at several feet away, then why not on a 1080p screen a few cm from your eye and with the apparent size of the screen much larger?

Because I assume when when you're using VR you aren't using the zoom view. The only reason 1080p is workable for a flight sim is you can zoom in. Otherwise you can't even read your own cockpit dials. To get closer real world visual acuity it's necessary to go beyond the 1080x960 per eye. I think the final consumer version is supposed to be higher.

Edit: I just saw a demo of someone using the "zoom" view and the rift together in Prepar3d so I guess it's possible. But fast aggressive use of the zoom like in a combat sim would probably make you sick.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 04:37 AM

So to increase the apparent frame rate it's just adding frames like 120hz TVs do?

Time warping involves a bit more than duplicating frames, but the idea is that 75-100 fps are what you want to display for head movements. When you move your head in virtual reality, that movement needs to be translated on the screen at that sort of frequency and with minimum latency (if not, motion sickness will develop really fast). So while your game might only redo the whole rendering of the scene 30 times per second, with time warping, you fill the gap by continually updating the sensors data and predicting what the head movement is - then, the cherry on the cake is to do some fast transformation on the 3D scene (which are possible without a recalculating the whole scene) in between the real renders of the scene, so that in the end you end of with something which moves very smoothly at 75 fps (or more in the future) but is only really fully rendered less often. This has been implemented brilliantly in Prepar3d for example, and because of that I can play with all the usual addons I used to play with on a monitor.

The current resolution will limit the ability to spot aircrafts that are very far away, that's for sure, but I think it will start to look great at 1440p already (wich might be the resolution for the Consumer Version, or 4k maybe). No need to go to 4k per eye to be honest, that sounds overkill. For the rest, the current DK2 works pretty well, and I can read most gauges in DCS and Prepar3d (and in prepar3d, I can zoom in on anything easily and handle complex airliners as well as I do on a monitor)

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 06:31 AM

And now on the official forums, the topic about the dropped Oculus support is turning into 100% blame on Oculus (supposedly for not supporting sims - that's right, because no sim is being developped and supported currently... what a joke), 0% the fault of the IL2 BOS team, with people pledging that it is a lost sale for Oculus (as far as I'm concerned I know where the lost sale is).
This is so absurd that the only thing I can do about it is laugh. For those who don't know, the Oculus Rift developer community is actually quite a vibrant and lively place right now, full of amazing experiments around the new possibilities of VR, and as far as I'm concerned I have found Oculus to have a great connection with the users and developers who currently own DK2 units - not necessarily something that can be said about the relation currently existing between BOS and its users.
Posted By: Master

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 06:39 AM

It is pretty obvious they got dropped because of dx9.

Sour grapes much?
Posted By: Wolf_Rider

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 08:38 AM

much
Posted By: Tektolnes

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 12:20 PM

The much wider FOV in the OR means that 1080 in OR is not nearly the same as 1080 on your PC monitor. It's a question of pixels and the area they're spread over - the number of pixels and pixel density. For a full explanation have a read through this: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/when-it-comes-to-resolution-its-all-relative/

1080 in OR just won't cut it for the likes of DCS or BOS. It'll be immersive but you won't be able to see enough detail. What's needed is more resolution and 1440 is the minimum for flight sims. Even that resolution won't be fantastic for spotting but it should be ok and really immersive. 1440 will be fantastic for games like Elite, Star Citizen, etc. The real revolution for hardcore flight sims won't start until resolution hits 4k but that's not going to be OR CV1 - that's probably 2-3 years away.

All that being said there's no doubt that BOS devs are probably missing a trick here and a DX9 based engine just won't cut it for OR down the line. At least DCS understand that this is likely to be a transformative technology and are building it into the long term plans. I think DCS are sure that they'll still be around in that timeframe. The future for BOS is more uncertain right now I'd say and they probably have more important things to concentrate on.
Posted By: Revvin

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jason_Williams
Guys,

I know it's fun to ridicule us, but you have no idea how Oculus operates and our experience with them. Loft has every reason to not be thrilled with his experience with Oculus. I'm not too happy with them either. Google translating his words from Russian is not going to tell you the whole story either.

We tried very hard to support their devices as they grew and introduced new units and we did build support for them to the best of our ability (it wasn't perfect but it worked) when we probably should have been focusing on other stuff. They also seemed interested in working with us as I live not far from their offices, but the harder we tried to support and work with Oculus the more difficult it got. This was even before Facebook and before them dropping DX9. I can't say too much in detail due to NDAs, but basically they tried to tell us how we should make our game and unless we made it how they wanted it, they wouldn't work with us. Essentially, their hardware could not run a hardcore sim like ours in 3D with what they deemed acceptable framerates (their level of acceptability, not ours). And the Oculus team seemed puzzled why we had built a custom engine or why we needed a custom sim engine that requires large environments which does not run at a constant 100 FPS like a shooter. Our customers also do not want to necessarily see a human body in our cockpits as they demanded. So we decided to wait a bit until their hardware and software was a bit more mature before we spent any more man hours supporting something that is not even a final product.

However, based on the vibe from Oculus we felt that the final retail Oculus product (or at least their first retail unit) was imminent and their would be no real hurdles to using it with BOS since we had already built initial support. This is why Loft made such comments about our planned support. But then a few things happened - 1. They got bought by Facebook and they no longer cared to talk to us about technical issues. 2. Something changed in their software concerning 32 bit vs. 64 bit which broke our implementation. But we were hopeful a solution could eventually be found. 3. They simply dropped support for DX9 games which ours is one.

So that's the progression from initial support to none. Not our fault and now we are in a tough spot because we do not have the right requirements since they changed them and we don't have the budget to build such support at the moment. There was zero intention by us to not have support. Just a string of unfortunate events. It has nothing to do with us not willfully supporting our users or any other motive.

Oculus seems to work really well with off the shelf engines that most other developers use for shooters and whatnot. We have a custom engine and huge environments and complex physics that suck frames so this is a difficult situation for us developmentally because Oculus is 3D and everything needs to be drawn twice. There seems to be two kinds of developers who have success supporting Oculus. The first is large mega-teams like you find at EA or Valve who can stick a team of people on the implementation task. Then there are tiny teams with super talented individuals who make super niche games that use some off the shelf engine that already works well with Oculus and where meeting budgets or deadlines is not a huge priority for them. We are in a different situation entirely. We are a small team with a super complex product, small budgets, a custom engine and a plan we are in the middle of implementing. Any deviation from that causes major disruptions to planned updates.

Oculus also really seems to want to "change the gaming industry" with VR by changing the requirements for gaming such as only supporting DX10 and above. This puts smaller teams like us in a bind. Oculus is not the cute little startup it once was, they are aiming to be THE VR company and with it comes big corporate policies and choices that affects teams like ours. You can argue coulda, woulda, shoulda all day long, but Oculus has not made it easy on us to support their product and they pulled support for BOS, not us. It's disappointing, but that is the situation.

I am hopeful something can change in the future where we have enough money to build new support for Oculus and make whatever changes necessary to get there. That of course requires more sales.

The VR revolution looks promising and many companies are now involved in this space. It's got a long way to go before it completely supplants your monitor. Maybe it will come fast, maybe not. Time will tell. We have nothing personal against VR and we did give it a go, but when it becomes simpler to add it to our titles I am sure we will support it. VR does not need sims to make it big and whether we need OR support today or tomorrow as some here claim to make it remains to be seen. People have counted us out more than once before and we're still here creating stuff. There are other things I'd like to work on before we worry about OR support again.

The perils of being a sim developer never ceases to amaze me.

Jason

Its odd that 1C/777 have had issues when it looks like DCS World 2 will be a showcase for Oculus Rift and other small independent developers with their own bespoke game engines like Elite Dangerous, Assetto Corsa, iRacing etc are also working well with Oculus Rift.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Tektolnes

The much wider FOV in the OR means that 1080 in OR is not nearly the same as 1080 on your PC monitor. It's a question of pixels and the area they're spread over - the number of pixels and pixel density. For a full explanation have a read through this: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/abrash/when-it-comes-to-resolution-its-all-relative/

1080 in OR just won't cut it for the likes of DCS or BOS. It'll be immersive but you won't be able to see enough detail. What's needed is more resolution and 1440 is the minimum for flight sims. Even that resolution won't be fantastic for spotting but it should be ok and really immersive. 1440 will be fantastic for games like Elite, Star Citizen, etc. The real revolution for hardcore flight sims won't start until resolution hits 4k but that's not going to be OR CV1 - that's probably 2-3 years away.

All that being said there's no doubt that BOS devs are probably missing a trick here and a DX9 based engine just won't cut it for OR down the line. At least DCS understand that this is likely to be a transformative technology and are building it into the long term plans. I think DCS are sure that they'll still be around in that timeframe. The future for BOS is more uncertain right now I'd say and they probably have more important things to concentrate on.

Yes I think we are several years away from VR replacing our monitors. In the meantime BoS has more important things to work on. I'm sure when that day comes they will upgrade for it.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 03:11 PM

Yes I think we are several years away from VR replacing our monitors. In the meantime BoS has more important things to work on. I'm sure when that day comes they will upgrade for it.

Yes just like they upgraded their old Dx9 engine.....oh. Just like they upgraded the SP campaign from RoF.....oh. Just like they upgraded the HOTAS axis assignments.....oh. Ok then just like the upgraded ME.....oh.

Sorry man, but "upgrade" or "progression" is not a strong point for these devs.....unless you are talking about unlocks.

Of course its not 777/1cs fault. Its the customers, hardware developers, and everyone else s fault their game is turning into poo.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 03:14 PM

the progressed with graphic opt....oh.....I got nothing sorry.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 03:19 PM

Its the video game version of 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' the older it gets the less it matures

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: lokitexas

Yes just like they upgraded their old Dx9 engine.....oh. Just like they upgraded the SP campaign from RoF.....oh. Just like they upgraded the HOTAS axis assignments.....oh. Ok then just like the upgraded ME.....oh.

Sorry man, but "upgrade" or "progression" is not a strong point for these devs.....unless you are talking about unlocks.

Of course its not 777/1cs fault. Its the customers, hardware developers, and everyone else s fault their game is turning into poo.

Pretty much a moot point because there was no way they were going to create a new game engine for BOS when they already had one. EDGE is going to be cool but how long has ED been working on that?

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 03:44 PM

Pretty much a moot point because there was no way they were going to create a new game engine for BOS when they already had one. EDGE is going to be cool but how long has ED been working on that?

You are again having a comprehension issue.

You are talking about 777/1c making "upgrades" when needed. They dont.

Comparing DCS to BoS is rather funny. DCS was first released when? And EDGE is called making progress for the future. BoS is the newest released CFM, yet instead of making a scalable engine they decided to use an old one that limitations are already showing.

No way they would upgrade to a more capable engine? Of course not if you dont plan ahead. The goal was to release a game in a quick amount of time using scraps, with an IL2 name, but no substance. Plan worked well for them.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: lokitexas

You are again having a comprehension issue.

You are talking about 777/1c making "upgrades" when needed. They dont.

Comparing DCS to BoS is rather funny. DCS was first released when? And EDGE is called making progress for the future. BoS is the newest released CFM, yet instead of making a scalable engine they decided to use an old one that limitations are already showing.

No way they would upgrade to a more capable engine? Of course not if you dont plan ahead. The goal was to release a game in a quick amount of time using scraps, with an IL2 name, but no substance. Plan worked well for them.

You guys are so freakin gloomy with this stuff it's incredible. Have a little optimism. If VR turns out to be a big market then 777 will have the incentive to upgrade for it with both RoF and BoS. There's also certainly future theaters they consider making for WWII after Stalingrad.
Posted By: JagerNeun

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 04:45 PM

You're right Sharpe!

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 05:15 PM

Re: Oculus = dropped - 01/29/15 07:15 PM

Posted By: Damocles

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/06/15 09:30 PM

777 may end up with no choice but to update their game engine, even if they have to be dragged, kicking and screaming into doing it.

For the time being however, it is more than disappointing, never the less I can't disagree with them when it comes to spending time catering for an unproven bit of kit that might either be a complete irrelevant flop or keep changing the goal posts for developers that they have to keep scrapping work because it's just had someone, out with their control, decided it's outmoded and therefore redundant.

Once the CV 1 is out in the wild and 777 can access it's true worth, then and only then can they really come to a firm conclusion as to it's worth and whether it'll be worth spending time, effort and gold on implementing, however much work that might involve and whether they really want to do it

I do agree with others thought who think Jason is sounding off a bit too loudly, but that could just be that he's as disappointed and frustrated as the rest of us and doing what many of us do and is having a bit of an irrational rant.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/09/15 03:04 PM

Personally, I agree they shouldn't bend over backwards for OR. It may or may not make a dent big enough for them to devote time to it.

On the flip side, I think it was a mistake to stick with DX9. DX10 has only been around EIGHT years now, or over 6 by the time EA started. DX11 came out over 4 years ago, and now DX12 is around the corner.

The Jedi Master

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/09/15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Personally, I agree they shouldn't bend over backwards for OR. It may or may not make a dent big enough for them to devote time to it.

On the flip side, I think it was a mistake to stick with DX9. DX10 has only been around EIGHT years now, or over 6 by the time EA started. DX11 came out over 4 years ago, and now DX12 is around the corner.

The Jedi Master

Agreed, does it show a lack of ambition for the series from 1C to use an engine based on such an old version of DirectX? I wonder if anyone at 1C thinks perhaps they should have given the CloD engine more time having seen what a group of part timers have done without direct access to the code? and the part timer reference is not to cause offense, its actually more of a compliment as to what they have achieved while holding down a regular day job.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/10/15 01:27 PM

yes, they should have... but most there ( 1C ), at least the upper echelon, got caught up with listening to the very vocal minority carrying on about when the sim is going to be released and their demand for it to be, they ( 1C ) thought they were going to miss the release slot and lose sales. Others at ( 1C ) also saw they needed to destroy the il2 brand to regain control of it from UBI... unfortunately, it is now in the wrong hands
they lost out on all fronts... hence the current western il2 BoS publisher (which has a track record for failed product)

Given another twelve months, with Oleg at the helm, the outcome (reception) of the product would have been totally different

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/10/15 02:05 PM

If they'd been given 12 more from the start (they took an extra 6 anyway), and used it to go to DX11 and beef up the campaign, I would agree. There's a DX12 preview on Anandtech that illustrates what sort of improvement we might expect from it when we get it late this year, and I wonder if BoS' ability to have multiple planes and objects in one mission might not be vastly improved over DX9 if they used it.

Oleg? No. He bailed on CloD but didn't SAY he'd bailed on it till it was done. He said he was working on DCS WWII when it looks now like maybe he contributed some spreadsheets or something. The Oleg of 10 years ago, maybe, but the Oleg of 5 years ago and today? No.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Hooves

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 07:59 AM

His "speculation"is 100% correct. When using the DK2, the immersion and cool factor are amazing. But if you were to play against a real player (or even AI) with no tags on, you'd get smoked. The resolution just cant pick up distant objects. As it is now you have to lean in to see the numbers on the dials. Its cool, but not ready. 4k per eye would do it. Even after seeing the "gear VR" demo with the note4. The 2560x 1440 i still dont feel would be up to the task. This is all from experience btw.

I am bummed support has been dropped, but this is all part of what shapes a genre, ill go to what ever product fills my needs. No drama or hate. Not sure why some of you on here still come here day after day to rage. I took a nice 6 month break, just to come back to the same folks talkin the same trash. You have demonstrated your discontent. Move on already.
Posted By: KodiakJac

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Hooves
Not sure why some of you on here still come here day after day to rage. I took a nice 6 month break, just to come back to the same folks talkin the same trash. You have demonstrated your discontent. Move on already.

No.

I think most of us are beyond the rage phase. Now its about sticking around to warn prospective new buyers what to expect. Wouldn't it be awful if we stopped talking and a whole new wave of buyers got "had" thinking they were buying a game similar to IL-2 1946 or CloD (as BoS is advertised to be).
Posted By: 307_Banzai

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 06:51 PM

Blaming hardware and it's producers it's an easy way to get out from delivering what the devs promised.

I would say that they are rather happy that Oculus is dropping support for DirectX9 , easy way out for them from a problem with delivering decent support as promised.

I don't dispute shortcomings and purpose of DK2 itself , but I do want to say I feel disappointed with the way the whole DK2 support was handled by the devs.

Hooves arguments about low resolution are valid but we do have icons and this amazing futuristic technochat. You don't really have to see all the gauges anyway with most of the planes being easy to manage , with mostly throttle and radiators opened.

It's true that you would be lost on Syndicate server ibut that's not the point and what DK2 was created for.

You could still have some fun just taking off and flying , dogfighting with icons , flying Heinkel or Peshka , being a gunner in bomber.

We know DK2 is not going to replace monitors just yet ,but people who went and bought BoS or DK2 on a promise that it will be supported should at least have a chance to make their own opinion.

Hooves , you were a tester in BoS and maybe you were privileged enough to actually see BoS in DK2 so you know more , all I know is that we went from a promise of support to delays and now probable cancellation of support.

Hooves , you say that you speak from experience, I have DK2 too , bought especially for BoS , DCS and Elite are truly amazing experiences, not perfect by any means but at least they managed to implement it in their engine and it works. I had fantastic experiences in Elite and fought and shot down planes in DCS quickmissions , no icons btw.

BoS DK and then DK2 support was shown behind closed doors at press events. So they were confident to show it to 'the press' but not to their clients who paid premium?

How hard was it is to release whatever work in progress version of DK2 support they have , release a disclaimer , saying that this is a work in progress version , this is the best we can do at the moment , there are known problems, we recommend 64bit system and powerful PC to run it .

People would see for themselves what is possible or not possible on their PC , does it run or not and the moved on.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 07:16 PM

Loft has confirmed that they lack good programmers with enough skill to upgrade the engine to higher DX levels, this explains plenty, perhaps even why there is no trim on axis or graphic customisation.

in case you think I'm joking this is a quote from Zak.

Quote:
Loft just told me that we can offer you guys a deal: you find us a good programmer and we consider such engine upgrade.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/14556-developer-diary-part-88-discussion/?p=231553

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 07:19 PM

Hahahaha

The contempt for the consumer continues.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 07:50 PM

Loft has confirmed that they lack good programmers with enough skill to upgrade the engine to higher DX levels, this explains plenty, perhaps even why there is no trim on axis or graphic customisation.

Quote:
Loft just told me that we can offer you guys a deal: you find us a good programmer and we consider such engine upgrade.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/14556-developer-diary-part-88-discussion/?p=231553

I disagreed with you earlier on BoS delivering DK2 support but ultimately you were right.

Funny thing is that the announced shift from DirectX 9 didn't even happen yet , they could still deliver support for DK2 , you could choose to not update your DK2 software and keep using it with BoS.

Also Jason said that Oculus wanted BoS to run 100 fps and that's impossible. Why? Also DK2 is 75 fps. Consumer version will most likely be 90 fps. Is this really impossible on modern PC's ? How is DCS is managing to work , must be magic.

Also how is that ED continues to support DK2 and Oculus in general and list improved OR support as one of the features of it's upcoming (who knows when wink ) DCS 2.0 on new engine.

So on one side we have a tired excuse of it's not ready , resolution is too low , you can't be an ace on Syndicate , Oculus wants pilot bodies and 100 fps , Facebook is Evil , I am under NDA , we have one programmer , Oculus is not interested in simulators , etc.

On the other side we have ED , there you go guys , we have DK2 support , it's not perfect , it requires bit of work to get it running but we have people on forum offering help, we are working on new engine and we will improve OR support , in the meantime enjoy what you have , it's a glimpse into the future.

I preffer ED approach , I had fun in DCS , I am confident that they can provide even better experience on CV of Rift. Future is interesting , DCS 2.0 with WW2 content , CV of Rift , all we need is more horsepower and improved SLi implementation with OR.

Hooves offered an advice to people to move on if they are not happy with BoS.

I agree , move on , through refund desk first though. Same as Bongo did and others are doing.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 07:56 PM

Remember Jason and all the BoS fanatics telling people DX9 is just as relevant as newer versions? Remember them saying you wont even know its DX9? Remember them saying you could not tell?

Yeah...

It seems the post by Loft saying the sim was crowd was old and afraid of new technology is a little hypocritical now.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 08:13 PM

Find a good programmer? There is no shortage of them.

I think they left something off the end of that.
He should've said "find us a good programmer...willing to put up with Loft's ideas and low pay and..."

The Jedi Master
Posted By: kendo

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 09:37 PM

Quote:

Typically cynical interpretation of what was an obviously flippant and jokey remark, but one that could actually be an early 'hint' that an upgrade to the engine IS now on the agenda...and most likely because the OR situation has forced their hand.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/13/15 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: kendo

Quote:

Typically cynical interpretation of what was an obviously flippant and jokey remark, but one that could actually be an early 'hint' that an upgrade to the engine IS now on the agenda...and most likely because the OR situation has forced their hand.

Typically blinkered interpretation, the quote makes no suggestion whatsoever that an engine upgrade is on the agenda, in fact it reinforces that one isn't due to the chronic budget, staff and time restrictions the devs have, it is clear from Jasons recent postings that OR is not forcing anything other than weak excuses.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 12:14 AM

They started enabling BOS for the OR with the DK1 @60hz, then it had to be 75hz for the DK2, and now the Oculus development is suggesting 95Hz will be required for the consumer version. Anyone even remotely knowledgeable about running complex combat flight sims knows that even 75hz was a bridge to far. I have no problem with the BOS development taking a wait and see attitude, as their budget doesn't allow them to chase a dream with little initial financial return. They will still have a window to enable support, if the Oculus Rift pans out, as I think it might. In the mean time their best course of action is to optimize and upgrade their game engine, if they want to remain relevant.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By: 307_Banzai
Blaming hardware and it's producers it's an easy way to get out from delivering what the devs promised.

I would say that they are rather happy that Oculus is dropping support for DirectX9 , easy way out for them from a problem with delivering decent support as promised.

I don't dispute shortcomings and purpose of DK2 itself , but I do want to say I feel disappointed with the way the whole DK2 support was handled by the devs.

Hooves arguments about low resolution are valid but we do have icons and this amazing futuristic technochat. You don't really have to see all the gauges anyway with most of the planes being easy to manage , with mostly throttle and radiators opened.

It's true that you would be lost on Syndicate server ibut that's not the point and what DK2 was created for.

You could still have some fun just taking off and flying , dogfighting with icons , flying Heinkel or Peshka , being a gunner in bomber.

We know DK2 is not going to replace monitors just yet ,but people who went and bought BoS or DK2 on a promise that it will be supported should at least have a chance to make their own opinion.

Hooves , you were a tester in BoS and maybe you were privileged enough to actually see BoS in DK2 so you know more , all I know is that we went from a promise of support to delays and now probable cancellation of support.

Hooves , you say that you speak from experience, I have DK2 too , bought especially for BoS , DCS and Elite are truly amazing experiences, not perfect by any means but at least they managed to implement it in their engine and it works. I had fantastic experiences in Elite and fought and shot down planes in DCS quickmissions , no icons btw.

BoS DK and then DK2 support was shown behind closed doors at press events. So they were confident to show it to 'the press' but not to their clients who paid premium?

How hard was it is to release whatever work in progress version of DK2 support they have , release a disclaimer , saying that this is a work in progress version , this is the best we can do at the moment , there are known problems, we recommend 64bit system and powerful PC to run it .

People would see for themselves what is possible or not possible on their PC , does it run or not and the moved on.

You really should hear yourself. You want a limited dev team to put a bunch of time into a product that wont be supported as soon as the OR software gets updated? Are you serious that your answer is "just dont update the OR software"? As far as gettign kills in DCS, yes I was also able to do this, but I promise you, playing agisnt others with monitors, on Full real servers you dont stand a chance. I enjoy Full real settings, so it does not make any sense to use the OR in its current (possibly even future) state.

Things happen in develpoment. It didnt go their way. Oh well. Why sit here and slag them for someone elses decision is beyond me.

Also, a DX-11 upgrade wont make any difference at the distances we are flying at. So no, you wouldnt be able to tell the differnce between dx 9 and dx 11. Your cockpits might look nicer though.

and Bucksnort, so your the Hero of the day "saving" people from this game. thats rich. Sounds to me like you are just harboring sour grapes and want to destroy someone elses work

I wish they would have kept OR support, I wish they would have gone with some other decisions. But its not my game, I didnt build it. If feel the need, Ill vote with my wallet. But launching a crusade to "save" others is a pathetic lie to cover up pure rage issues. There are Plenty of better things to do with your time.
Posted By: KodiakJac

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 06:38 AM

and Bucksnort, so your the Hero of the day "saving" people from this game. thats rich. Sounds to me like you are just harboring sour grapes and want to destroy someone elses work

I wish they would have kept OR support, I wish they would have gone with some other decisions. But its not my game, I didnt build it. If feel the need, Ill vote with my wallet. But launching a crusade to "save" others is a pathetic lie to cover up pure rage issues. There are Plenty of better things to do with your time.

No rage issues. Its just human nature to warn people when a pickpocket is working the room. Maybe you would walk away, but I wouldn't.

Here is the BoS product description on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/IL-2-Sturmovik-Bat...e+of+stalingrad

It lists the Mission Editor as a current feature in BoS. You and I both know that is not true. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it bothers me and folks need to be warned about stuff like this. And it doesn't take much time at all.

Saying the ME is included in BoS when it isn't is a pathetic lie, wouldn't you agree?
False Advertising
Posted By: theOden

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 07:46 AM

Hooves, do you also use an account named "SharpeXB"?
(just curious)

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 09:15 AM

I'm curious Hooves, is this your opinion or the one Jason has paid for with the loan of the OR, the computer equipment, trip to the Hornet etc?

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 12:10 PM

Hooves:

All I am asking for is to release support they have already in it's current state. Devs said numerous times that DK's work in BoS and always were.

Also I don't care what your gaming preferences are, I don't have to be an ace on Syndicate , I will be happy to fly around in quick missions with icons.

Or just fly without combat , and please don't tell me I wouldn't enjoy it.

I looks like you're back taking lunches with certain guy.

This is my last reply to you as I don't believe in your impartiality.

Sharpe disappeared and you're back , like we don't remember what happened few months ago and Jason's emails.

Pathetic.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Revvin
I'm curious Hooves, is this your opinion or the one Jason has paid for with the loan of the OR, the computer equipment, trip to the Hornet etc?

Maybe a new furry hat with BoM logo?

McDonald's happy meal?
Posted By: Ghost_swe

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 307_Banzai

You really should hear yourself. You want a limited dev team to put a bunch of time into a product that wont be supported as soon as the OR software gets updated? Are you serious that your answer is "just dont update the OR software"? As far as gettign kills in DCS, yes I was also able to do this, but I promise you, playing agisnt others with monitors, on Full real servers you dont stand a chance. I enjoy Full real settings, so it does not make any sense to use the OR in its current (possibly even future) state.

Things happen in develpoment. It didnt go their way. Oh well. Why sit here and slag them for someone elses decision is beyond me.

Also, a DX-11 upgrade wont make any difference at the distances we are flying at. So no, you wouldnt be able to tell the differnce between dx 9 and dx 11. Your cockpits might look nicer though.

Limited dev team? Apparently not limited enough to stop them from working on 3 separate projects at the same time.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 01:50 PM

4 separate projects if you include ROF, but they don't need a full dev team to catch the money the screaming fans are throwing at their screens.
Posted By: Speyer

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 02:02 PM

Curious to hear the answer to this too.
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/14/15 03:45 PM

You have no way to know what his motivations or his emotional state is. That underlined text is written as if it is a fact, and that is unacceptable.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 05:55 AM

Revvin, my opinion is based off of understanding that the BoS devs cannot control the OR team and that this one time the decision to drop something was out of their hands. However that cannot be said for the series of conundrums that continue to pour out of the Moscow dev team.

What i also noticed was your clever ploy to somehow indicate that i am some stooge for Jason because i got to partake in a fun event or get to try out some hardware. But the OR is mine and mine alone. Good try though. Shallow and indicitive of the depths this site has sunken to. But good try none the less.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 06:16 AM

I have seen their implementation of the OR and trust me, it was not ready. It was no where even close to usable and the dev team had a very difficult time understanding how to properly implement the OR. If they gave it to you, you would just spit it back in their face.

And i find it pretty funny that you think strong arming me with "what you know" will do anything other than make you look ridiculous. I was friends with Jason, in fact id say i still am friends with him. we had some disagreements, but weve worked them out, because tbats what friends do. I bowed out mostly due to a reoccuring medical issue that was made worse by stress. Stress that came from working very hard on the Eagles Nest server and missions, just to see the russian devs pull the rug out from under us. Jason, left in a precarious position, tried to control the damage and used some words that i didnt like. We have spoken and cleared things up. However using the knowledge from my previous experience, i do not trust the russian dev team enough to dedicate time liKE that again with out a clear path of communications.

Imagine you are Jason. You have a job, you want to help provide your team with jobs but your team now starts overriding you because you are no longer the lead. You are but a vote. But you have a family to support and need the money, just like everyone else. You fight and fight for things that should be common sense. But you get denied. What do you do? Jason is a business man who is in a precarious position. But he is passionate about flight sims and wants this to work.

Could he be nicer sometimes? Yeah maybe, but he is human, just like you, he must provide for his family just like you, he has friends just like you. You need not attach ridiculous claims to him. He is just like us.

i have nothing to hide. Ill gladly share all of what happened with all of you. Ill leave the personal stuff out. But if you wanna know the rest just ask.
Posted By: Bumfluff

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 10:19 AM

Curious to hear about any interactions you've had with the russian development team.

They certainly have an interesting approach to customer relations.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 12:15 PM

Thanks for your reply Hooves .

I am sorry for snarky comments earlier on.

It's time to get emotionally detached from BoS.

I really had high hopes for it , mainly in MP , we had a squad going , playing early access.

One of us went refund way after he saw which direction Devs are heading, got his $90 back , rest of us just stopped playing BoS altogether.

I will launch it first time since early Dcember when new patch comes out next week. Just to update it.

Early Access for BoM , yeah , no thanks.

I should really chase them up for a refund myself , but I do have some little hope left.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bumfluff
Curious to hear about any interactions you've had with the russian development team.

They certainly have an interesting approach to customer relations.

Well frustratingly enough, there was almost no interaction. Though the few times i did get to meet the team they all seem genuine about wanting to make a good sim. But as we all have seen, its hars to gauge their day to day decisions. Nearly all of my interaction went through Jason and rightfully so. He is the American on the team. Which i must admit, was toigh whrn he was getting barely more info than i.

An "intersating appraoch" is an understatement. My i teracton with tbem online consisted of waiting for them to sebd us the new version of Dserver evrry update. Whivh sometimes happened on time otbers were a few days delayed. We never spoke of the things we were trying to do on the server, though we tried to open a dialog. It could have been they were just to busy at that time to help us.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 06:46 PM

What i also noticed was your clever ploy to somehow indicate that i am some stooge for Jason because i got to partake in a fun event or get to try out some hardware.

And i find it pretty funny that you think strong arming me with "what you know" will do anything other than make you look ridiculous.

You obviously didn't pay much attention to the moderators comment on your previous post for you to make such assertions to my motives for posting a simple question. Did you receive items from Jason? if you did then that was your choice but don't be surprised if some people think maybe that compromises your opinion, I asked a simple question for clarification. Far from finding it funny you seem a little angry, I wouldn't want to contribute to your stress and you could have left your answer at the first paragraph in your first reply. I don't believe what you or Abortedman said publicly about the unlocks was in any way overly critical, if anything from what I remember of them they were carefully worded responses supporting the overall feeling towards the unlocks. Removing your access to the server was an over the top reaction in my opinion and only hurt 1C/777 in the long run.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 07:02 PM

What i also noticed was your clever ploy to somehow indicate that i am some stooge for Jason because i got to partake in a fun event or get to try out some hardware.

And i find it pretty funny that you think strong arming me with "what you know" will do anything other than make you look ridiculous.

You obviously didn't pay much attention to the moderators comment on your previous post for you to make such assertions to my motives for posting a simple question. Did you receive items from Jason? if you did then that was your choice but don't be surprised if some people think maybe that compromises your opinion, I asked a simple question for clarification. Far from finding it funny you seem a little angry, I wouldn't want to contribute to your stress and you could have left your answer at the first paragraph in your first reply. I don't believe what you or Abortedman said publicly about the unlocks was in any way overly critical, if anything from what I remember of them they were carefully worded responses supporting the overall feeling towards the unlocks. Removing your access to the server was an over the top reaction in my opinion and only hurt 1C/777 in the long run.

AS I said before, I will discuss what happened. There were other communications other than Emails, and the access to the server was more of an ultimatum. An Ultimatum that AM and I took, largely on my part that the stress involved was over my threshold for a video game.

Yeah I did receive items from Jason, I helped Test the DK1 for him as he did not have the time, I however purchased my own DK one and subsequent DK2, I was trying very hard to convince the team in Moscow to fully back this peripheral. When My joystick died, he lent me an Av8tor joystick. When my kid put a gash in my monitor he let me have 2 old ones he wasnt using anymore. These are things that friends do for friends. I also purchased several items from him, like a new mouse and the game itself.

What I fail to see here is the reason for your malice. I have been just as critical of straight up bad decisions made by the devs, I have been critical to how Jason interacts with the public. All of these things are going to happen during development of ANY product with this passionate of an audience.

Are you trying to tell me that Jason cannot have friends? That he cant help someone out when they need a hand?
And furthermore what is it to you? Are you angry that I am friends with him and you aren't? None of this has any bearing on what has happened, or what will happen in the future to this product. Other servers took our place and they have continued to provide custom missions. Jason remains as dedicated to producing something good, (though he has to fight for it which is a bummer), and I remain his friend, though not as willing to give up my time in the current development cycle. Perhaps that might change later. But again I ask, what is it to you? Why do you care SO much about what has transpired between Jason, AM and I?

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 07:15 PM

Hooves, I think you over-interprete Revvins posts quite a bit.
One could think you're upset.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 07:23 PM

AS I said before, I will discuss what happened. There were other communications other than Emails, and the access to the server was more of an ultimatum. An Ultimatum that AM and I took, largely on my part that the stress involved was over my threshold for a video game.

Yeah I did receive items from Jason, I helped Test the DK1 for him as he did not have the time, I however purchased my own DK one and subsequent DK2, I was trying very hard to convince the team in Moscow to fully back this peripheral. When My joystick died, he lent me an Av8tor joystick. When my kid put a gash in my monitor he let me have 2 old ones he wasnt using anymore. These are things that friends do for friends. I also purchased several items from him, like a new mouse and the game itself.

What I fail to see here is the reason for your malice. I have been just as critical of straight up bad decisions made by the devs, I have been critical to how Jason interacts with the public. All of these things are going to happen during development of ANY product with this passionate of an audience.

Are you trying to tell me that Jason cannot have friends? That he cant help someone out when they need a hand?
And furthermore what is it to you? Are you angry that I am friends with him and you aren't? None of this has any bearing on what has happened, or what will happen in the future to this product. Other servers took our place and they have continued to provide custom missions. Jason remains as dedicated to producing something good, (though he has to fight for it which is a bummer), and I remain his friend, though not as willing to give up my time in the current development cycle. Perhaps that might change later. But again I ask, what is it to you? Why do you care SO much about what has transpired between Jason, AM and I?

Well there you go again, asserting emotions and thoughts into my posts which are not there. Malice? no a simple question for clarification. Angry that you and Jason are friends? really? read that back and tell me you're not just a little embarrassed by that schoolyard comment. If you're angry I'd suggest you calm down before responding and read what is written and not invent some fallacy about the content an its author.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 08:01 PM

Im perfectly calm. Forgive me for reading into your posts. But you'll also have to understand that im pretty tired of the drama. If you are truly not full of discontent than i presume youll read my posts at face value and stop applying blanket critisism to anyone that has something positive to say about Jason or BoS. Afterall there are still many positive things in the sim. And Jason is trying to work on bringing all of us a good product.

Lets just hope we can get Loft on board.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/22/15 10:36 PM

Im perfectly calm. Forgive me for reading into your posts. But you'll also have to understand that im pretty tired of the drama. If you are truly not full of discontent than i presume youll read my posts at face value and stop applying blanket critisism to anyone that has something positive to say about Jason or BoS. Afterall there are still many positive things in the sim. And Jason is trying to work on bringing all of us a good product.

Lets just hope we can get Loft on board.

A lot of arguments happened when people dismissed valid complaints as 'drama' I believe Jason himself was fond of describing it like that and it caught on, its really a dismissive way of handling people and their complaints and if they had been handled properly you wouldn't have members repeating those complaints and the discord the follows. Look at some of the names here and look at their posting history on the official forums and see the support given and how that goodwill was squandered and in some cases thrown in people's faces.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/23/15 03:31 PM

Imagine you are Jason. You have a job, you want to help provide your team with jobs but your team now starts overriding you because you are no longer the lead. You are but a vote. But you have a family to support and need the money, just like everyone else. You fight and fight for things that should be common sense. But you get denied. What do you do? Jason is a business man who is in a precarious position. But he is passionate about flight sims and wants this to work.

Yes, it was wonderful when I said that very thing here, that he wasn't in control and was lying when he said he was, and then he came off all super-Hulk about the fact that I called him a liar. Following which he went on to state elsewhere the very thing I'd said.

Apparently, he didn't understand that when I said "he wasn't in control" he didn't understand I meant HIM and not "1CGS" or whatever. I don't care if it's some suits at 1C or it's Loft and other team members making the full-retard design decisions, I just could tell that Jason would never have made them because he understood the community too well. He's part of it, warts and all. I don't think Loft understands it or such basic concepts as "to sell a product you must make one that people want" as all his statements and actions so far contradict that. Loft should be making tax software or something that is about utility and NOT entertainment.

Jason's attempt at solidarity just backfired because it's a little like watching a lion tell you they're a strict vegetarian...you know it's a lie. To get called out because you point out he's a bad liar is just galling. He just should've said nothing instead about who was calling the shots.

The Jedi Master

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/23/15 05:47 PM

Cant argue with you there Jedi. My last few posts was only aimed at setting the record straight. Not to glorify Jason. He has had some missteps. With myself and the public. But i just couldn't stand by and watch him take the heat for the russians. I know he kind of "has to" due to his position, and could probly do a better job of it. But as community members i think we all need to be better at being civil. Myself included. I always read to much into posts, mainly because this place is so charged with negativity that i feel pre dispositioned to tell someone to get bent lol.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/23/15 06:03 PM

Maybe Mr Jason should look into a RoF1939 on RoF maps flying Spit/Hurri MkI pre-ROTOL along with French crap planes and some 109E1's and then moving to RoF1940 on the channel and RoF1941 with Tomahawk IIa in North Africa and so on.
(and to never ever mention IL2 again)

Not sure how many manhours they have available though and maybe the dollars just aren't there.

I cannot imagine it would be a total failure as long as he keeps Loft away?

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/23/15 08:59 PM

Yeah the idea on its face looks simple enough but Im sure that 1CGS owns all of the code even if it was developed by the 777 team. A split at this time would leave then below square 0. This is all conjecture and not based on anythign but speculation by the way.

Id love to let my mind wonder on a RoF 2 though.
Posted By: Toxin_1

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/23/15 09:45 PM

Hooves,

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the WIP OR in BOS. I don't understand why the team just didn't say that to begin with? They implied that OR was working well and only needed a little bit of tweaking.

If they don't have the resources to keep working on it, then why not reach out to the the community and see if they can put some effort into it? There are folks who would like to work with them on these types of things.

Time will tell.

S~

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/23/15 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxin_1
Hooves,

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the WIP OR in BOS. I don't understand why the team just didn't say that to begin with? They implied that OR was working well and only needed a little bit of tweaking.

If they don't have the resources to keep working on it, then why not reach out to the the community and see if they can put some effort into it? There are folks who would like to work with them on these types of things.

Time will tell.

S~

I wish it were that easy. The OR folks have decided to drop DX9. BoS and BoM will be DX9. Until said time that they upgrade to DX11 then OR could be back on the table. In this ONE instance, 1CGS dropping support for something, wasnt their fault.

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/24/15 06:51 AM

yes it was... they chose DX9 for a "modern day (save the genre)" sim engine smile

Re: Oculus = dropped - 02/24/15 01:58 PM

It was obvious ROF was never going to go DX10+, there was no money for it. We were going to wait for ROF2 for that.

The bad part was 1C decided when they wanted to continue Il-2 that they were only going to wait 18 months. THAT was the mistake. It meant a pre-existing engine had to be chosen, and the CloD codebase was considered a lost cause I suppose, so that left ROF's.

After all that has happened, I think it safe to say I would've preferred if they'd picked a longer development time to allow the ROF engine to be updated more into an ROF2-type state. Could they have done it in 2.5 years? Well, it took two in the event (because of the release delay) so if they'd planned for 2.5 I think they would've made it in three, and that's about par for the course for gaming software.

Yeah it would've cost more, and there might have been more technical issues than we have with BoS now, but it would've been "future proofed". DX9.0c was 10 YEARS old when BoS was released. DX10? It was EIGHT YEARS old. Or in other words, DX10 was six years old when they started working on BoS. DX11 was three years old. These aren't new tech, especially with DX12 out THIS year.

On the technical front, it's the only misstep BoS made, and it was of course due to the truncated schedule and budget considerations.

The Jedi Master
© 2024 SimHQ Forums