homepage

Mining Essentials?

Posted By: DBond

Mining Essentials? - 03/19/19 03:23 PM

I want to both hit Elite for trade rank, and unlock Selene Jean. So that means mining. Void Opals in particular since that is clearly the most profitable route. I watched a couple of videos and read a few threads. I plan to use the Python, but could also go Krait II if there's a better reason. If I use the Python then I plan to turn the Krait in to a bounty hunter.

So what do I need?

-- Abrasion Blaster. Just one? Any advantage to two?
-- Mining Laser? I see these used and not used in builds. Would I want one? Is it not needed if doing only core mining?
-- DSS. Check
-- Seismic Charge Launcher. How many? Do they come in different classes?
-- Prospector Limpet Controller? Just one? Class?
-- Collector Limpet Controller. How many in your mining build?
-- Pulse Wave Scanner
-- Cargo Racks. Check
-- Refinery

Forgetting anything?

I am going to go try out my shiny new permit and then can see all available modules and classes.

Anyone care to post their mining build?

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/19/19 04:16 PM

I flew to Jameson. Exclusive digs round here.

I see my choices for most of this stuff comes down to fixed/turreted, not class, as there aren't multiple options.

Initially, I've gone with a 4A refinery, 3A collector and prospecting controllers, and fixed blaster and seismic whizbang. Does turreted make it a lot easier? Got the A class Pulse Scanner too. Interestingly, all the stuff I chose put me exactly on my power limit to the hundredth of a megawatt. Seems like good mojo.

I loaded 80 limpets and also see I have to load seismic charges. These take no inventory space? so may as well fill 'em up.

Here's the build. The DSS is G3 Probe but doesn't show.

Takao in Mining Trim

What am I missing? What would you change?

(I corrected the double prospecting controller mistake and replaced it with collecting)

Posted By: DM

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/19/19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by DBond
I want to both hit Elite for trade rank, and unlock Selene Jean. So that means mining. Void Opals in particular since that is clearly the most profitable route. I watched a couple of videos and read a few threads. I plan to use the Python, but could also go Krait II if there's a better reason. If I use the Python then I plan to turn the Krait in to a bounty hunter.

So what do I need?

-- Abrasion Blaster. Just one? Any advantage to two?
-- Mining Laser? I see these used and not used in builds. Would I want one? Is it not needed if doing only core mining?
-- DSS. Check
-- Seismic Charge Launcher. How many? Do they come in different classes?
-- Prospector Limpet Controller? Just one? Class?
-- Pulse Wave Scanner
-- Cargo Racks. Check
-- Refinery

Forgetting anything?

I am going to go try out my shiny new permit and then can see all available modules and classes.

Anyone care to post their mining build?

I've tried mining just a couple of times now, got some low temp diamonds and some void opals, they both get good prices at the right stations. But man am I having a hard time of it biggrin finding the right asteroid is mostly luck, when you ping the pulse sensor you look for the brightest most yellow asteroids as far as I can tell, then before launching a limpet at it (I haven't found any way to recover them so I presume they're a one-time use only item) I look for little telltale cracks in it that indicates it's splittable.

After firing the limpet & targeting it, it tells me the asteroid's contents and displays where the deposits are, and where the fissures are. Most often the asteroid is revealed as having something I'm not looking for so I need to move on. The most difficult thing for me right now is getting the seismic charge right, I don't know how to read the display in the top right yet. I mostly have just over-charged the fissures and lost a portion of the deposits, but I still get a nice return on what I do get.

Some deposits float off due to the explosion, the rest you need to use the abrasion weapon on, you only need one of those btw. Some deposits float free, other disintegrate, maybe as a result of my crappy seismic technique or maybe I need to aim different.

After that, because I didn't have any collector limpets I had to move in & manually scoop them up, which is very fraught for two reasons:
1. It gets progressively more difficult to see in the ice cloud (use night vision to help)
2. while you're in the ice cloud your ship freezes and you get warnings & frozen cockpit glass, so I either nudge in, scoop & reverse out as fast as I can, or run in, scoop, then run out the other side. I don't want to continue this & it takes ages and becomes difficult as the asteroid chunks move around so I'm definitely going for the collector limpets next time smile

Prospector Limpet Controller? Just one? Class?

You need one of each, but they're just controllers, you still need to stock up on limpets themselves. I have a fond memory of turning up to a hotspot and realising I didn't have them :/ I think there's just one kind of limpet, which changes role depending on how you've fired it. As far as I can tell, the limpets take up cargo space. Might be wrong about that though. I have 32 tonnes cargo space, and I can stock up with up to 32 limpets. I assume I need to balance limpet space with expected scooped/collected mineral space, but ultimately I'd fire off cheap limpets rather than not pick up void opals wink

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/19/19 05:09 PM

Great reply, thanks. That helps. Yes, about how many controllers. Not sure what I was thinking. Just one of each. Are you using fixed or turreted for your shooty things?

I've loaded the ship out, used Inara to find a good sell station, then found an Icy Ring 4 LY from there. I stuck it with a probe and flew in to the huge hotspot where I am about to blow some rocks up. I hope. The HUD color change is messing me up at the moment, but it will all work itself out.

My Python has 160t cargo as you can see in the build. So I figure half of that for limpets should be a good starting spot. As the hold fills, the limpets will be expended and if things go well should work. But like you I will probably shoot a bunch simply in search of the good stuff. Speaking of which, what are the best sellers? You mentioned Diamonds and Void Opals. Anthracite sell for a good price too I think. Anyone got other stuff they mine for good profit?
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/19/19 05:50 PM

Going for Trade Elite now?

Here's my Python build
https://s.orbis.zone/2f9k

Basically the difference is the optionals.
I have a 5A collector and a 3A shield with 3 6E cargo holds.
I found the 5A collector with 3 active limpets was noticeably quicker in cleaning up a frack than the 3A.
I have the fixed blasters too. Never tried turreted, so I can't comment on those.

There is a limit to how many seismic charges you have, but they don't seem to take any space so no worries there. They get reloaded when you restock at a station.

There used to be a bug where multiple abrasions would give multiple chunks but that was fixed and I never got around to changing my build. I do think two
placed on either side of the hull gives you a better opportunity to hit deposits in some of the tighter places you have to get to.

The engineered thrusters will be nice for the tight maneuvering you have to do too. You have thrusters mapped, right? I use them a LOT in mining. I have them mapped
to a hat on my Cougar.

Keep your pulse wave scanner going at all times - the more it hits a rock the better indications you get of cores. I mapped mine to the trigger and have a command that will
simulate it being held so I don't actually have to. Of course this becomes and issue when I don't disable and switch to seismics right away!!

You can Google for pictures of core rocks, eventually you'll get to know what to look for. Until then you'll fire off a lot of prospectors in your hunt. The key for me is they are very bright,
and usually have a black grid on them as well. Again keep the pulse wave scanner going and that will accentuate these characteristics.

I also like to skim the top (or bottom I guess!) of the ring as I cruise with the pulse wave going.

Use Inara to find the best places to sell. Don't sell for less than 1.6m. Low temp diamonds are worth mining too, but don't go crazy cracking every core - you'll have to run all over
the bubble to get best prices if you wind up with a lot of different things.

Don't forget to restock limpets after you sell off your haul too!

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/19/19 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by DM

After firing the limpet & targeting it, it tells me the asteroid's contents and displays where the deposits are, and where the fissures are. Most often the asteroid is revealed as having something I'm not looking for so I need to move on. The most difficult thing for me right now is getting the seismic charge right, I don't know how to read the display in the top right yet. I mostly have just over-charged the fissures and lost a portion of the deposits, but I still get a nice return on what I do get.

Target the fissure, and it will tell you whether to shoot high, low, or average yield. Yield strength is dependent on length of time you hold trigger down. When you release, wherever the meter is will be the yield strength. As you add charges to the rock, the meter on the right will rise. You want to keep it in the blue. It will say "Optimal Yield" on it when you get there. If you go into the red, you will lose some fragments when the rock pops, and if it isn't high enough it won't frack. If it doesn't frack, you may still be able to crack it by firing more charges if there are any fissures left (fissures are one time use). Once you hit the optimal, start backing out. You can take damage if you are too close. It is quite a sight too, so be watching! About 1,000m is good enough.

After that, because I didn't have any collector limpets I had to move in & manually scoop them up, which is very fraught for two reasons:
1. It gets progressively more difficult to see in the ice cloud (use night vision to help)
2. while you're in the ice cloud your ship freezes and you get warnings & frozen cockpit glass, so I either nudge in, scoop & reverse out as fast as I can, or run in, scoop, then run out the other side. I don't want to continue this & it takes ages and becomes difficult as the asteroid chunks move around so I'm definitely going for the collector limpets next time smile

I keep night vision on from the time I start flying through the belt. It also highlights the fissures better. I couldn't imagine having to chase down all the frags, I bounce off the rocks when I'm maneuvering to blast them as it is!

Prospector Limpet Controller? Just one? Class?

You need one of each, but they're just controllers, you still need to stock up on limpets themselves. I have a fond memory of turning up to a hotspot and realising I didn't have them :/ I think there's just one kind of limpet, which changes role depending on how you've fired it. As far as I can tell, the limpets take up cargo space. Might be wrong about that though. I have 32 tonnes cargo space, and I can stock up with up to 32 limpets. I assume I need to balance limpet space with expected scooped/collected mineral space, but ultimately I'd fire off cheap limpets rather than not pick up void opals wink

The different size controllers will allow more/less limpets at once. The different grades influence the range IIRC. I've always read to stick with the A's, so that's what I do. Two prospectors are plenty. You do as DM said - fire them and target them. I find it takes a moment for them to actually launch, so make sure you are pointing at the rock you want them to hit. If you move before they are under way, they will miss. They are not smart or guided, so you have to point and shoot.

I like having the 3 collectors from the size 5. I had a size 3 and upgraded it to clean up faster, so it's really a matter of preference. Try what you have and see how it works. If you wind up sitting and waiting for you collectors, then consider a bigger size. You'll go through a lot of limpets too. The prospectors are one use only and the collectors have a tendency of crashing in the frack field, so you may have to launch more while you are cleaning up. Check your contacts for limpets and make sure you have your max out. If you only have one (or none!) and still have a bunch of fragments to go, fire off more.

Posted By: WingNuts01

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/19/19 06:45 PM

Here's how I setup my Krait for mining;
2B Sesimic charge launcher fixed
1D Abrasion blaster fixed X2 (no benefit for 2 now just haven't taken it off

OA Pulse Wave Analyzer
OI Point defense (make sure this is mounted close to your cargo hatch to kill those hatch breaker limpets

6E Cargo racks X2 (I usually bring 100 limpets
5A fuel scoop (Void Opels are a ways out
5A Shield Gen G5 reinforced Hi-Cap
4A Refinery
3A Prospector Ctrl
3A Collector Ctrl
Surface scanner

Back in Christmas Break I racked up a little over 2b in 2 weeks. Almost a full hold each time. I became a Void Opel snob passing everything else. When your cargo is full you can use your Refinery hoppers as storage (also why I dump everything else) Once you know what to look for (shape color fisures) it's easy. Take your time placing charges and try to use medium strength only as you build up to "Optimal Charge". You REALLY want that optimal status as it affects how much the roid will deliver. Optimal 13 to 19 ton, not best 5 to 7 tons.

I wish I were there so you could crew with me. Thats a good way to see the mechanics, know shape of roid to look for, color of roid and what fisures look like.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/19/19 08:04 PM

Wow, great responses, thanks fellas. Don't sweat it Wingy, I'll work it out.

My first go ended in despair though. I flew through the asteroid field and scanned and prospected, but never saw a composition of anything I recognized as valuable. I should have practiced a few explosions, but didn't. Flew home, then took the FDL out for a bit of bounty hunting and promptly earned my own bounty in a compromised nav. So had to leave and got nothing done. I'll have another crack later.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/19/19 09:12 PM

My usual spot was Arima 7B, happy to share it if you want to take the trip!

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/20/19 01:18 AM

DBond...................................................................................................................................

You need a point defense on the bottom of what ever ship you mine in. You don't want some NPC stealing your opels.

Now days you need to travel out a ways to locate a opel site. That means using your surface scanner to explore those ice rings. My experience has been that when you drop into a hot spot and you see a fog or cloudiness move on. Just move out a little farther and try again. Resist collecting everything. Go for the good stuff.

Now you have identified a potentially good site. Before you start mining check Inara for the best sell location. Enter that into your nav computer and have a "Next sys in Route" key bound. If you get jumped you close the cargo hatch, hit the next sys in route key, boost and jump. Safer that way.

Reread that 1st line again. You'll thank me later.

BTW I think the Krait is more maneuverable placing those charges. View is certainly better than Python. Best view for mining is the Asp Ex.
Posted By: Recluse

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/20/19 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by WingNuts01

I wish I were there so you could crew with me. Thats a good way to see the mechanics, know shape of roid to look for, color of roid and what fisures look like.

Hey Wingy, Multicrew is Telepresence so you COULD join him in his Ship as a crewmember from where you are.... Don't recall what kind of visibility the crewmember has, or if would need to have a turreted abrasion blaster or Seismic launcher to allow it...

Originally Posted by Johnny Chemo

Use Inara to find the best places to sell. Don't sell for less than 1.6m. Low temp diamonds are worth mining too, but don't go crazy cracking every core - you'll have to run all over
the bubble to get best prices if you wind up with a lot of different things.

This x 1.6 million smile

I might be able to go out with you, still have my mining Python fully ready. I was never as efficient at it as Wingy...took me forever to find the cores and seldom filled my hold, but still managed to make a billion or so....

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/20/19 12:24 PM

Thanks for the point defense tip. I was indeed getting pirated, but since I had nothing on board yet nothing came of it. I will install one today.

My Thursday evening is now free with Wingy out in the dark. If anyone wants to team up for some mining (can't believe I just typed that) then let's give it a go. You blast, I scoop! biggrin

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/20/19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
Going for Trade Elite now?

Indeed smile

You have thrusters mapped, right? I use them a LOT in mining. I have them mapped
to a hat on my Cougar.

Yes, I do. I use the radio switch for thrusters.

Thanks for the help JC.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/20/19 01:06 PM

Thanks for the point defense tip. I was indeed getting pirated, but since I had nothing on board yet nothing came of it. I will install one today.

My Thursday evening is now free with Wingy out in the dark. If anyone wants to team up for some mining (can't believe I just typed that) then let's give it a go. You blast, I scoop! biggrin

I might be available. Read a bunch of posts on how Wing Mining is broken, but happy to help blast/run off pirates. Been awhile so I may not be at my best placing charges....not that my BEST was all that good :-)

My main problem was ending up on the wrong side of the asteroid as the clock ran down trying to find ONE MORE fissure. With two of us that wouldn't be a problem .. Will also be helpful to have 2 loads of Prospectors to more quickly sort out the GOOD asteroids.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/20/19 01:33 PM

Well honestly, I'd rather hook up for some combat or something than mining. But since that was offered....

I'll work the mining out and don't need help, but gratefully accept it.

If you'd rather do some bounty hunting I'm up for that too. That would be more, err, fun smile

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/20/19 01:55 PM

I would be up for either one!!! Your call...

I bet we could rope some of the others in for Bounty Hunting as well depending on how far flung everyone is.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/20/19 02:22 PM

Well it's the combat rank that needs the most love, so let's do that if you don't mind. Find a good BH system and have a go.

I'm still in Dvorsi, but can leave my ship where ever tonight.

I'll start a new thread so we don't venture too far off topic.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/25/19 06:29 PM

SimHQ Rock Collecting Club on Thursday?

I'm up for it if anyone can stand the thought of more mining biggrin

Poison Whiskey's ready to go.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/25/19 07:01 PM

Not sure yet, but I'm willing. Same time 6:30? I'll have to locate a good place to visit.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/25/19 08:42 PM

Yes, that time would work for me, or let me know if another is better.

I just noticed you went from Tycoon to Elite in 3 days, so I know you know what's up biggrin And if you can pre-scout a good spot all the better.

If you can't make it don't worry about it, there will be another day.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/27/19 02:16 PM

I read somewhere that Dvorsi A9 is flush with Void Opals. But how would I know, it's only my home system. Probably old news and it's been cleaned out, but I will check it tonight.

What's the forecast for tomorrow? Able or no?

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/27/19 04:47 PM

Tomorrow is on for 630. Lets meet at Bajauie 2 it has two Opel sites.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/27/19 05:30 PM

I'll make it happen, Captain. That system is 131 LY from Sol, not sure how far from me, but won't be bad.

I noticed when I looked it up on EDDB it says reserve "depleted". I am not an experienced miner but that stood out. Perhaps unrelated to what we are doing?

I think Poison Whiskey's ready, aside from that lousy shield and unengineered thrusters. Otherwise I think I have all the right gear. (PD installed underside)

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/27/19 05:44 PM

I think the jury is still somewhat out on that. According to things I've read on Reddit, there's no noticeable difference between "pristine" or "depleted" in resource availability.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/27/19 06:01 PM

DBond if your up by me we can go to San Qin Gu 6 if that's closer. I pulled out 80 tons last night and the sell is 10ly away.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/27/19 06:09 PM

Thanks JC. OK, Wingy, wherever you want. I'm game.

Everyone is welcome to join the Rock Collecting Club. Applications accepted for Security as well.

Wingnuts laid out the plan. It goes like this....

Everyone aside from me starts blasting Void Opals (nothing else mind). You are then to collect them and drop them next to my limpets (I'll be in the middle). Sounds good?
Posted By: Bohemond

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/27/19 06:35 PM

I’m thinking James and I will pull Vette piracy, er security. Yeah, security that’s what I meant ... so make sure u fill ur holds for us

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/28/19 12:37 PM

That would be good, if not overkill smile

I'm sorry, who is James (your NPC minion?)? And another name mentioned a while back was Wade. Help me connect them to usernames please.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/28/19 12:49 PM

That would be good, if not overkill smile

I'm sorry, who is James? And another name mentioned a while back was Wade. Help me connect them to usernames please.

James is CMDR Overload_RJ45 ( or some such). Our resident Thargoid killer. PA_Wade is another of the usual suspects, haven’t seen him on as much of late. Also known as Gopher (his TS moniker).

I was suggesting that James and I were goin to pirate all you miners. In jest, of course.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/28/19 12:55 PM

Haha, yeah I got that. I will actually need to have something valuable on board for that to be worth your while.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/28/19 08:02 PM

I was afflicted last night with another case of moduleswapitis, and the thrusters and FSD from the Python were installed in the Krait. My optionals look very similar to your mining build Wingy, same cargo capacity. I am tempted to put a C6 shield in which would cut my cargo. But I doubt I'll be filling it up anyway. If I keep the current setup I'm only at 485 mj. That's using the Bi-Weaves out of my Vulture that was just sold.

If you have a chance, would you mind looking at Poison Whiskey on my Inara account and see if I have everything I need? Or any suggestions/alterations appreciated.

See you by 6:30.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/28/19 08:39 PM

Dump the 2 hull reinforcement and put in a detailed surface scanner. You need the ability to shoot the planetary rings to reveal hot spots. Otherwise good to go

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/28/19 08:40 PM

Doh! Yes of course. Thanks.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/29/19 01:47 AM

Now, that was just outstanding! Thanks to the fellas for their help and to Sensei Wingnuts for his expert tutelage. In all a big success. Made lots of money. And have the know-how and skills now to do this solo.

I missed seeing my first rocksplosion as I was running for dear life, but after that I started doing OK. Easy money and now on the way to double Elite and getting Selene Jean unlocked. A ways to go yet, but the path is now clear.

Wingnuts patiently teaching me how to mine cores

[Linked Image]

Kaboom!

[Linked Image]

Attached picture sensei.jpg
Attached picture rocksplosion.jpg

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/29/19 04:09 AM

I had mentioned that perhaps I have a good Void Opal spot in my home system. Uh, yeah

Attached picture dvorsia9.jpg

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/29/19 12:54 PM

That planet, Dvorsi A9, has three Void Opal, and two Low Temp Diamond hotspots. Just 800 ls from Fowler Orbital. After walking the dog, I hopped back on to check this planet out, and spent another hour or two mining there and managed to essentially match the haul from the first session. At this rate I'll hit trade Elite in about a week. And hopefully I'll have the 500 tons mined to start getting armor mods over G1. I got nearly a fifth of the way there just last night.

A year or so ago I wanted to unlock Selene Jean. Mine 500 tons. OK, I outfitted the Python with mining lasers and refinery and all the whizbangs and flew off in search of a pristine ring. Found it and jumped in. I mined one fragment. I disliked it so much, that I closed up shop then and there. Flew back to base and sold all the mining equipment I had only just purchased, and I never mined again until last night.

But core mining is rather enjoyable. There's skill required, especially mastery of control of the ship as you twist and flip to get the charges in place. The timer adds a touch of urgency. The detonations are visceral and probably never get old. Like opening birthday presents with explosives.

So even though mining will never take top spot in my favorite things to do list, it's far better than it used to be, at least for me. Another really nice change from FDev.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/29/19 04:24 PM

For me, mining is something akin to raw mat prospecting. Something I have to do, a chore. Even with the VO gold rush, I’ll prolly only do it again if’n my cash reserves go below my arbitrary number I like to have on hand. I imagine I’ll most likely refit my Krait for mining if I can talk myself into purchasing another big ship. Looking at a Type 10 which should set me back 500 million or so.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/29/19 05:03 PM

I've been happy with my Python for mining, but I agree that it lacks Agility. I am always on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROCK especially when the clock is winding down and i still need to place a charge ON THE OTHER FRIGGING SIDE OF THE ROCK....

When I get back from the BLACK maybe I will look into a KRAIT Miner and go back to the PYTHON as the Freighter..

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/29/19 05:16 PM

I talked about it in the New Ships thread, but the agility and the view make it a better choice for me. Of course you can't pack as much on board, so that's the trade off innit?

As you heard me say last night I realized once I saw what I needed to do that I felt the Python would not have been so smooth.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/29/19 05:28 PM

I use the Python and find it to be maneuverable enough with 5A thrusters. I've just engineered them with Farseer to G3 Clean Drag and I look forward to seeing the difference.
I like the Python view because while the Python doesn't have the vertical view of an ASP or Krait, it has the horizontal, and the way I move through the belts it seems to work for me.
Some time I may try outfitting a Krait for mining (bah! effort!) and see the difference but for me it ain't broke.

I get your enjoyment of the close quarter piloting needed - it's kind of fun to move around a rock in all dimensions, esp with a countdown timer on the charges. Of course the explosion is worth the
wait and then the payoff at the end is very nice too!

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/29/19 05:40 PM

Yeah, don't misunderstand, the Python is highly suitable, just for me, not as suitable as the Krait. Either will work fine.

And FWIW, the Krait and Python share almost all the same slots. So to set up a Krait for mining, you can module swap. Give it a test run with your Python internals, see how you get on with it, and then can decide. That's what I did at first.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/30/19 12:21 PM

This is crazy. Made almost 500 million in the past two nights. More than half way though Tycoon already. 400 million of that in my freakin home system.

I had plenty of money before, now I've oodles.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/30/19 01:20 PM

I know that feeling, and it feels good!
cheers

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/30/19 03:29 PM

It feels like stealin' smile

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/31/19 12:41 PM

I had a transcendent transaction last night. One sale resulted in....

Elite Trade Rank/ Double Elite
Selene Jean engineer invitation
Exceeded 1 billion in cash on hand

That's 725 million in three nights of dedicated core mining. Insanity! I went from 86% Entrepreneur to Elite since Thursday biggrin

When I got back in to the game a few weeks ago, I looked at the stats of the guys here I am friends with on Inara. Everyone had billions of credits, and I had 240 million. I guessed that the killing was made on the Void Opal market, and I wanted in. So now I am a galactic billionaire myself. Of course there isn't really anything I want to buy, so it's just a status. But it's cool just to know I could buy anything, if I wanted to. Which I don't. So what do I need all this money for? biggrin

The best thing to come out of it is the Selene Jean invite. Need to mine 10 tons of painite to unlock her. But the FDL will get a nice weight reduction and have more smash as a result. All of my ships will benefit from this, as I have just G1 armor access at the moment.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/31/19 05:02 PM

Congratulations Elite and Billionaire in 3 days!

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/31/19 06:37 PM

Thanks man, you showed me the light thumbsup

Re: Mining Essentials? - 03/31/19 07:51 PM

I had a transcendent transaction last night. One sale resulted in....

Elite Trade Rank/ Double Elite
Selene Jean engineer invitation
Exceeded 1 billion in cash on hand

Congratulations on Double Elite! That must have been like winning on a slot machine with all the notifications you got on that!

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/01/19 12:55 PM

Thanks JC. Of course the game takes no special notice of it. Double Elite is just my way of saying 'more than Elite but less than Triple Elite' smile

After getting home from my son's flag football game yesterday (they lost in the rain 28-7), I decided to get Selene Jean unlocked. So I looked for pristine metallic rings, and found some not far away in a system called Zeta Octantis. Flew there in Poison Whiskey, and probed the rings on a couple of gas giants. Found a number of hotspots, but no painite. Then I noticed that planets are listed as having more than one ring. So I flew back to planet 4 and got down in tight so I could probe the small sliver of brownish inner ring. Close, so that the probe didn't get gravitationally sucked toward the planet and went in the ring instead.

Sure enough, when this probe stuck it revealed about 20 more very small hotspots, including several painite, around the inner edge of the ring. In business now. Dropped in, and prospected around. Found a rock with a good percentage of painite. But it soon became clear that neither abrasion blasters nor seismic charges would get at the painite, which is a 'subsurface deposit'. Mining Lasers?

EDDB'd it and found a nearby station selling mining lasers and flew there. That's when I noticed a new whizbang called subsurface displacement missiles. Hmmm, that sounds like just the thing. How does it work? No matter, how hard can it be?

Flew back to planet 4 and dropped in to the hotspot, found another rock and spent a couple of minutes wasting drill-bangrockets until I worked it out and 15 minutes later had my ten painite. These things are neat. Good one FDev.

Flew to a nearby tech trader, sold the mining stuff, bought a class 5 GFSDB to make it less painful and flew to Kuk. In another thread I advised using exploration data to increase engineer rep to save mats. I unlocked Selene Jean, then went to cartographics and sold 400k of the 1 million in data I had on me. That took me to access level 3.5 and then I G5 lightweight/deep plated the Krait's armor which took me to access grade 5.

I pinned lightweight and flew back to Dvorsi to do the FDL. But the lightweight blueprint didn't show in the remote workshop. Clearly a bug as it is certainly pinned. So I had to fly the FDL all the way to Kuk. I would have needed to do Deep Plate eventually anyway, so whatever. Did G 4.39 since I only had a couple military composites, and added deep plate and heavy duty'd the HRPs. This netted me a whole +2 m/s! But it's a little faster, and has better integrity and resistances. So a win-win.

Then I flew the FDL to my hunting ground in Exioce and raised combat rank another 4%. And so it goes.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/01/19 01:52 PM

Yeah, don't misunderstand, the Python is highly suitable, just for me, not as suitable as the Krait. Either will work fine.

And FWIW, the Krait and Python share almost all the same slots. So to set up a Krait for mining, you can module swap. Give it a test run with your Python internals, see how you get on with it, and then can decide. That's what I did at first.

Exactly my plan when I get back from the Black...

Void Opal mining DOES seem like cheating. I don't think I am going to make Explorer Elite when I get back, but I will get most of the way there, and continue Scanning and Mapping stuff in the Bubble.

Then, maybe proceed to blow stuff up and get the rest of the 36% to COMBAT ELITE.

I joined EDSM when I started exploring. Got this interesting FORTNIGHTLY summary... Not sure why Wingy/Sinisalo don't show up. Maybe not on EDSM?

I only imported the logs from when we went to the Guardian site and then when I set out..

Attached picture EDSM.PNG

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/01/19 02:07 PM

Nice one Rec. I've had a question about that program.

I've gotten a lot of first discoveries. I would like to see how many. If I registered there would it be able to tell me this info after I've turned them in?

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/01/19 02:11 PM

I pinned lightweight and flew back to Dvorsi to do the FDL. But the lightweight blueprint didn't show in the remote workshop. Clearly a bug as it is certainly pinned. So I had to fly the FDL all the way to Kuk. I would have needed to do Deep Plate eventually anyway, so whatever. Did G 4.39 since I only had a couple military composites, and added deep plate and heavy duty'd the HRPs. This netted me a whole +2 m/s! But it's a little faster, and has better integrity and resistances. So a win-win.

Then I flew the FDL to my hunting ground in Exioce and raised combat rank another 4%. And so it goes.

PINNING drives me crazy. I always think I have something pinned and then it doesn't show up. I think you can only have ONE pinned per Engineer (per Module???) so I have over-written pinned Blueprints by accident many times. Maybe it is per Engineer and not per module...

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/01/19 02:14 PM

Nice one Rec. I've had a question about that program.

I've gotten a lot of first discoveries. I would like to see how many. If I registered there would it be able to tell me this info after I've turned them in?

Yes and No... I think it does, but also, tracks FIRST REPORTED TO EDSM, which might not be a FIRST DISCOVERY. I meant to go back and see if BOTH were reported or just EDSM. The CODEX should track that, though..

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/01/19 02:37 PM

OK thanks.

The Codex does not show this, as far as I can tell. I really wish it would. Like why can't first discoveries be shown in exploration stats? The game clearly tracks it. It shows me how many level 2 or 3 scans I have, Why not first discoveries?

As to the pinning.... I had just unlocked Selene Jean. I have G1 Heavy Duty armor pinned from a different engineer. In the remote workshop armor shows G5, but when you drill down only the G1 Heavy Duty appears. When I go back to Selene Jean the Lightweight armor mod is shown as pinned. But does not appear in the remote workshop.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/01/19 09:55 PM

I pinned lightweight and flew back to Dvorsi to do the FDL. But the lightweight blueprint didn't show in the remote workshop. Clearly a bug as it is certainly pinned.

I had this happen too when I changed pinned blueprints.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/02/19 09:01 PM

I flew back to Liz Ryder, she is the one I pinned G1 Heavy Duty before unlocking Selene Jean. I unpinned that blueprint and G5 Lightweight still doesn't appear at the remote workshop. I have other modules with multiple blueprints pinned, like shield generators for example. Do you recall which module you had trouble pinning JC?

So I'll have to go back to Selene Jean and try to pin it again, even though it already is! As if I don't already have enough to do ! smile

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/03/19 09:34 AM

I thInk it was the thruster blueprint from Farseer. I unpinned the FSD then pinned the thruster and it didn’t show.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/03/19 12:38 PM

Thanks JC, was thinking it might be limited to certain module types.
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/03/19 05:23 PM

I once (pre-3.3) made me a list with the engineers in the bubble, with the modules and levels they can engineer. Makes it easier to decide which blueprints to pin with a certain engineer. Might still be valid today:
[Linked Image]

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/04/19 01:25 PM

Thanks WC, nice work.
Posted By: K6_Scorpion

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/10/19 02:01 AM

I'm loving the Void Opal gold rush... the greatest thing to me about it is that it affords the freedom of doing anything that I enjoy and not have to worry about stopping and scraping up credits to maintain. Don't get me wrong, the deep core mining is pretty fun, but I love running rescue missions into the burning stations, which doesn't pay that well, and just traveling around visiting points of interest in the lore. I was just out to the Cmdr Jameson crashed cobra site and listened to his voice acted logs to his son. With the codex, it's making the backstory more accessibly and the game more interesting... just more enjoyable in general.

Re: Mining Essentials? - 04/10/19 11:53 AM

I agree on all points. I find the same thing - credits being more easy to acquire means I can try different options in the game with ships/fits/etc. The fact that core mining is enjoyable (even just the cruising-through-the-belt phase is cool visually!) is icing on the cake.

I also found the rescue missions enjoyable, and I use them to grind faction rep (got into the Corvette doing this, will work on the Cutter and Empire...eventually) or to gather materials for engineering. There is a good amount of those as mission rewards. They can also provide some harder to get commodities needed to unlock engineers.

I'm specifically thinking of the 25 modular terminals needed for Marco Qwent. I knew I could get them that way when it was time to unlock him, but I didn't expect to see the first mission I clicked on to have a 25 modular terminal reward! After taking that mission, I filled the rest of my passenger slots with missions offering materials rewards, made the trip to the rescue ship, and then headed to Sirius to unlock Qwent. Easy-peasy!
Posted By: WhoCares

Re: Mining Essentials? - 06/05/19 08:46 PM

If you ever plan to visit Colonia and unlock the engineers out there, it might help to bring a Pulse Wave Scanner along, as they seem to be scarce/unavailable out here and you need to mine 10 Osmium for one of them... It's not a mandatory piece of equipment, but it reduces a lot of the randomness in the process. Can also leave one in a station in the bubble of course, but shipment to Colonia will take 60h wink
With that said, shameless self-promotion: I arrived at Colonia last weekend!

Re: Mining Essentials? - 06/06/19 10:51 AM

Congratulations on the trip to Colonia! It’s on my to do list. I’m on an Elite break right now, having been sucked into Subnautica by a thread in the Community forum, but I’ll be back. I was thinking about doing some core mining soon, I can’t wait to spend a little more time in game with the Rift S. But then there’s DCS, and the new Battletech DLC, now Subnautica, and I’m still active in Eve....so many games, so little time!

Re: Mining Essentials? - 06/06/19 02:15 PM

That's a cool thread at the Frontier forums thumbsup
© 2024 SimHQ Forums