homepage

This is the end I think!

Posted By: Fubat

This is the end I think! - 02/17/21 05:33 PM

I have been trying to bind my Warthog HOTAS and TPR pedals for ages I have unbound all axis, saved, backed up, restarted my peripherals ( via a powered USB hub ). Nothing works, each time I restart a game I have no controller, even if I reload the back. I get continual beeps in the controller GUI. The manual covers none of this! Unless you are a CH user.

I really am at the point of throwing this whole thing in the can, I have paid for both WOFF and WOTR and all updates DLC. It seems like money down the drain. Please if anyone can help please advise. Oh and yes I have RTFM. Remarkably it does not even list controls listed in the GUI and Vice Versa (Engine Crank !!)

Rant off!

Regards

Fubat
Posted By: Burning_Beard

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/17/21 07:16 PM

It may be the controllers. I was happy as a clam using my Saitek hotas set up until one day they (joystick and throttle) just quit, it may have been an update (windows) or something but it just stopped. I have two of them and neither one would work any more. Since I have no other games loaded, I couldn't test them on other platforms. The interesting thing is my Saitek rudder pedals still work.
Posted By: Wodin

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/18/21 03:08 PM

So you haven't thrown money away I suggest picking up a Thrustmaster stick I use a TFlight HOTAS stick, also I hear the 16000 are very good to. See as this is a WW1 sim then really the modern stick set ups are maybe overkill. Again just a suggestion, at least you will be able to play quite happily, use your current set up for other sims. This sort of thing I think is more the stick and it's driver issue than a game issue. Oh I don't want you to think this is a snarky reply, just trying to help. I'm sure you don't want to not be able to play at all, it's a pain your set up isn't working but if I was in your position I'd look for a cheaper Thrustmaster that I know will work rather than it all be a waste.
Posted By: OvStachel

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/18/21 04:55 PM

CH Products Combatstick...then do the "o-ring" mod. Really smooth and responsive like a fly-by-wire feels.

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/18/21 07:29 PM

Hello guys, firstly many thanks for your input.

@Burning Beard.

This is not a hardware problem mate, my HOTAS is working fine in all my other Sims, BMS, DCS, IL2FB, ROF, ARMA, CLoD etc. Also in WIN10 properties, and TARGET analysing software.

As for the rest, when I setup the HOTAS all axis are correctly recognised, indeed all button presses are recognised and apparently saved, however on entering the 'real world' nothing works. Now I know how much of a PITA TARGET is, but does anyone think I may have more of a chance using the games default commands, and transferring them to TARGET?

I really do not like the idea of purchasing another stick/throttle for just one sim that is based on such an old engine and, forgive me, a really flaky input GUI, ( And I thought IL2FB gui was bad wink ). I am wondering if the new iteration of WOFF will be better re: setup. I truly hope so.

CH HOTAS was my buddy waay back, however to my knowledge Control Manager is not even fully supported in Win10, I may be wrong (and often am). Again many thanks for your input gents, I am a stubborn old fool, and I will keep plugging away. I was just hoping for perhaps a revelation wink

Oh and a thought? Where are the user keymaps/profiles stored in regard to the HOTAS. I can't find them anywhere, I thought perhaps I could make them read only. Just in case the game loses them on start, just a thought.

Very best regards,

Fubat
Posted By: mandrews

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/18/21 10:28 PM

Well that answers my question: Yes it works in other sims.

Are you seeing anything in the joystick mapping? I have a TM16000 with HOTAS and pedals. When I tried using TARGET, it wanted to combine my JS, throttle, and petals into a single "virtual" joystick. The problem was that windows limits a single joystick to 16 (or perhaps 32 I forget), buttons, so I couldn't map everything. When I used TARGET to combine only some of the devices (HOTAS and pedals), I vaguely recall the omitted joystick didn't show up in WOFF at all (TARGET seemed to be hiding it). In the end, I abandoned TARGET altogether bought an adaptor for the pedals so I can skip TARGET and map the devices natively in WOFF. WOFF sees them as 3 devices and life is good.

So I'd suggest avoiding TARGET at the moment and see if that allows WOFF to at least see the devices.
Posted By: Polovski

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/18/21 11:07 PM

The WOFFkeys tools is pretty good usually. Continual beeps means input is occurring somewhere. Constantly isn't good.
The tool beeps when something is moved/pressed whatever it works with 100s of setups no problem usually and it's normally not flakey at all, better than most config setups often. If it's flaking out something is making it do so.

We basically ask Windows what controllers are there and use totally standard windows commands etc. If target creates virtual joysticks or other it may cause a problem.
Also if it works in the sim for a while then doesn't it doesn't not make any sense tbh.

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/19/21 05:04 PM

@mandrews & @Polovski

Thanks for the input guys. Just to clarify, I am not yet using TARGET ! I asked the question regarding TARGET as I thought it may be a workround.

I can bind all axis and keys in the WOFF keybinding gui, and all seem to register when I bind them. I save, and also backup the settings. However they are not holding when I enter the 3d world. I have no axis controls and no button controls i.e trigger etc.

As I mentioned earlier, is there a user conf / ini file that can be set to read only? I wonder if maybe the settings are getting overwritten or lost?

Thanks for staying with me on this guys, desperate to this working, I have heard so many good things about the AI battle field and opposition forces.

Regards.

Fubat
Posted By: mandrews

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/20/21 07:59 PM

@Fubat. The default key mappings are stored in C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\Default\WOFFKeys.xca

Once you modify them, they get stored in your personal windows profile directory under: C:\Users\fulbat\AppData\Roaming\OBD_Games\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\WOFFKeys.xca

It's an XML file, so you could try editing it by hand. I'm wondering if any changes you make in the workshop are being saved. If not, that might indicate a problem with your windows profile.

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/20/21 09:17 PM

If you look in the .xca file and find the section related to your controller, it's possible the controller name has odd characters or spaces in there. Runtime would not like that. Our key config program sees it fine, but cfs3 runtime does not. Not sure why some manufacturers do this these days, we have had to add some custom code to remove spaces in the front of names or double spaces or strange characters for some controllers and so on. (Cough Ravcore and others)

Re: This is the end I think! - 02/21/21 02:22 PM

Maybe it is worth trying the Target software, mandrews used it for the T.16000 here:
https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4397184/tm-t-16000m-fcs-pedals-not-working#Post4397184
Key point there was "remapping the pedals as Rz and disabling a few of the unneeded controls for a working setup."
© 2024 SimHQ Forums