homepage

ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to".

Posted By: vonBaur

ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/08/19 08:08 PM

Working fine one day, the next this.

Ideas?
Posted By: mvp7

Re: ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/08/19 08:37 PM

Anti-virus or anti-ransomware could be blocking the changes.

Re: ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/09/19 12:16 AM

They're off. Don't use them.
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/09/19 02:18 AM

Make sure by right clicking the file and click properties and near the bottom "attributes" is no "read only" . Hope this helps. May need administrator rights also.

S!Blade<><
Posted By: Polovski

Re: ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/09/19 09:20 AM

That is not a normal error message, probably seen that once or zero times in 10 years, so you need to work out what changed if it worked one day then not the next. Anti Virus update? mods?
Thank hard what changed.

Scan your disk that hosts WOFF for errors.

Maybe check the file exists and is not corrupt. I am sure you rebooted since in case the file was locked somehow?

C:\Users\<YOUR LOGON NAME>\AppData\Roaming\OBD_Games\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields

Re: ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/09/19 02:08 PM

Rebooted when it first showed up and have tried it three days, including the day it started acting up. No OS updates, but I remembered last night that I did have some problems downloading new video drivers the day before this started. I hadn't tried a disk scan, but will do that today.

I opened the file yesterday and it was blank. While I was checking again just now it was blank when I simply opened it but on a whim I right-clicked on it and hit 'edit' and everything was there. I checked a couple other .xml fies and every one was the same way, if that helps. I know that's not normal, but I don't know if that will help you, Pol.

I appreciate the help, folks.

Re: ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/09/19 06:10 PM

Maybe the video drivers corrupted something cant see what it would affect viewui though. Some permissions changed maybe? Check you are an admin, maybe set cfs3.exe and or woff.exe to "run as an administrator in Compatiblity tab (right click, properties, on each to get there).

Re: ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/10/19 02:22 AM

Weird. They had both been set to 'run as administrator', but when I looked neither was. Checked the boxes on both and verified I was still an administrator, rebooted, still no luck. Looks like it's time for a reinstall.

Is there a file that holds the keys/controls settings? I'd like to save it so I don't have to redo it again.

Re: ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/10/19 10:29 AM

Go to C:\Users\<<your user logon name>>\AppData\Roaming\OBD_Games\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields

WOFFkeys.xca. back that up.

Re: ViewUI.xml "cannot be written to". - 07/10/19 08:12 PM

Thanx, Pol. And thanx for the suggestions, guys.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums