homepage

A qwirky black screen issue

Posted By: 77_Scout

A qwirky black screen issue - 10/01/16 06:37 PM

I have a weird issue that popped up a while back.

When I finish a mission (cntrl-Q, then enter) my screen goes blank. WOFF is still running because I can hear the menu sounds when I press space-bar; I just can't see it because the screen is blank. If I unplug and replug the HDMI cable running from the video card (GTX770) to the monitor then the screen display returns and there is the WOFF post-mission screen.

It seems to be the vid-card output that goes blank, not the monitor itself. The monitor doesn't say 'no signal', it just seems to be displaying what the video card is outputting, which is a just a blank/black display. (Perhaps it is stuck showing me CFS3, which is now "finished"?)

Unplugging the HDMI cable gives a 'no signal' message on the monitor (as expected), and then plugging it back in seems to 'wake up' something and the WOFF Manager appears on screen.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated!
77Scout

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/01/16 06:44 PM

p.s.

I have turned off all "sleep" options for the monitor, under Windows 10 power settings.

I have tried booting from a fresh install of Windows 10 on a blank hard-drive with only WOFF installed as the first program and it does the same.

I have tried using the DVI output on the video card (a DVI to HDMI cable instead of an HDMI to HDMI cable) it does the same thing.
Posted By: Panama Red

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/01/16 07:28 PM

I was getting something similar to what you are having a while back until I tracked it down to my anti-virus and Windows trying to update. Once I turned these auto updates / call home off, my WOFF black screens went away and have never come back.
Posted By: gaw1

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/01/16 09:12 PM

hate these gremlins......they seem to persist out of all proportion to their cause.....good luck!
Posted By: Sailor

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/01/16 10:58 PM

I had the same thing happen afte a Windows 10 update. Never though to in plug the HDMI cord., what I did was revert back to the last version of Windows 10 and that fixed it. Good luck.
Posted By: Andy73

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/02/16 06:37 AM

The Graphics-Card sends the Video-Signal to another Output.
There are some Solutions to avoid this Problem. After a Mission, when you still get a black Screen, please press the "Windows"-Key and "P", after that press "Cursor down" and then "Enter". You may repeat this two or three times, but you should get back your Screen and now you should be able to continue the Game.

Are you playing with an NVIDIA Card? If so, you can change some things in your NVIDIA Control-Panel, to skip this Problem.

Go to "Change Resolution". Scroll down, and please set the Dynamic Output Range from "Limited" to "Full". This helped in my Case, the Problem never appeared again. See the Picture:

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/03/16 07:29 AM

Thanks Andy: I do have an Nvidia card and made the change you suggested but no improvement unfortunately.

Your windows-p trick DOES work to get my screen back online so at least I don't have to crawl under my desk to unplug the HDMI cable after every mission. That's actually a big improvement ... much appreciated!
Posted By: Sandbagger

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/08/16 12:18 AM

Hi all,
I disabled the Nvidia sound in Device manager, but it killed all WOFF sound.
However I had the monitor, WOFF and Nvidia resolutions set to 1920 x 1080. I reduced them all to the next resolution down, 1842 x 1036 and it works as it should no more black screen at mission end.

From what Ive read this problem can when using HD tvs as the monitor (I use a 50 LG HD tv).

Hope this helps.

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/09/16 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Sandbagger
Hi all,
I disabled the Nvidia sound in Device manager, but it killed all WOFF sound.
However I had the monitor, WOFF and Nvidia resolutions set to 1920 x 1080. I reduced them all to the next resolution down, 1842 x 1036 and it works as it should no more black screen at mission end.

From what Ive read this problem can when using HD tvs as the monitor (I use a 50 LG HD tv).

Hope this helps.

I reduced my resolution in the game (workshop setting) and also the NVidia Control panel to 1680x1050. I still got the black screen, so unfortunately your fix didn't work on my system. Thanks for the suggestion ... it was an easy thing to try.
Posted By: dutch

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/09/16 11:05 AM

Try to do a software update on your Tv
Posted By: 69Yanks

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/09/16 03:08 PM

I had the same issue and saw someone ran the program in computability mode. I have Windows 10 and then changed to windows 8 on the compatibility choice by right clicking on the woff.exe and trying Windows 8. All worked fine after that.

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/09/16 04:41 PM

Hurray! That worked for me 69Yanks ... setting WOFF.exe to either Win8 or Win7 compatibility solves the problem for me. Thanks!!!

p.s. I just did some experimenting and setting the CFS3.exe compatibility to Win8 will also fix the problem.
Posted By: Shredward

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/12/16 03:58 PM

Beauty! Worked for me too biggrin
Thankyou all
Posted By: Hrd2reech

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/13/16 05:25 PM

Thanks a lot Yanks, worked for me too !!
Posted By: MFair

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/16/16 10:47 PM

Yanks,
I have had a CTD after exiting the mission for months. This would happen every 3 to 4 missions. Have tried every suggestion given with no joy. I had almost given up on Windows 10 when I saw your post. When I checked the comparability was set at Windows 8. On a whim I set it to Windows 7. 12 missions now with no hick ups! One thing I noticed right off was no screen flicker when exiting the mission. I still have my fingers crossed but I think it is cured. I cannot thank you enough Bud! cheers

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/20/16 05:39 PM

Well I installed the Ultimate Edition per instructions and now am back to the black screen again. Compatibility mode is not working and am trying all of the other fixes such as reg of the .dll, dx9 reintall, disable music and video and no success. I am uninstalling and reinstalling. Will let you all know. Nice update BTW (I'm from the REDBaron Dos game era).
Posted By: Shredward

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/20/16 05:47 PM

Yanks,
I tried your compatibility trick a couple of weeks ago on the beta of UE Champagne, and it solved the problem completely for me. Not sure what to suggest, other than to hit it again, and make sure it applied
Cheers
Shredward

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/20/16 06:01 PM

Hurray Too and Thanks Shredward! I did not click on the bottom bar "change settings for all users" I would have been spinning around and around if you did not respond.
Posted By: BirdDogICT

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 10/20/16 09:51 PM

I hadn't had this problem until installing WOFF EU in Windows 10 64 last night. I'm using HDMI output to a plain vanilla LG widescreen pooter monitor.

I'm happy to report that 69Yanks' solution of setting compatibility to Windows 8 for all users worked for me.

Man, this sim is stunning. With my new 8Gb ATI RX 480, I am seeing zero texture pops. Smooth as glass with everything turned way up.
Posted By: Wodin

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 11/04/16 02:21 AM

Having the same issue..great there is a solution!
Posted By: FlyingMonkey

Re: A qwirky black screen issue - 12/07/16 12:07 AM

I was going to ask about the same issue - hopefully I'll be able to fix it with the solutions suggested in this thread (will have to wait this evening) because I had not been able to enjoy WOFF UE so far because of that (didn't try unplugging HDMI and plugging it back - since I couldn't get my screen back from black I would trigger a power off of the computer then turn it on again...).
Neat, now I'll be able to go back experimenting with VR support (currently just going to try setting up dual viewports for the stereo 3D with the hope that openTrack will support Vive soon enough to start with that instead of my own implementation of head tracking)

Edit PS: nice, that sorted it entirely, no more issues now!
© 2019 SimHQ Forums