homepage

1:32nd scale Albatros D.I

Posted By: Sandbagger

1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/22/21 06:27 PM

Hi all,
I've taken a short break to start the new tool Airfix 1:72nd scale Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2 for a friend who used to be a crew chief on No.44 Squadron at RAF Waddington.
However, as it's not due to be delivered until December, I've made a start on another WW1 aircraft.
This model from 'Roden' will represent the Albatros D.I of Ltn. Dieter Collin of Jasta 2 ’Boelcke’, flying from Berthincourt, September 1916.

[Linked Image]

During 1915 the German Fokker Eindecker fighters were dominant over the current allied aircraft of the time.
Eventually however, better designed fighters, such as the De-Havilland DH.2 of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) and the French Nieuport fighters soon gained the advantage.
The German Idflieg (Inspectorate of Flying Troops) sought better designed fighters from German aircraft companies and protoypes from Halberstadt and Fokker were being test flown by the Spring of 1916.
However these designs, although better, did not surpass the allied aircraft in general performance.
The Albatros Flugzeugwerke Gmbh company, which had only produced two seat aircraft, created what was then considered to be a radical design for a fighter, which was designed by Robert Thelen.
Following the lead of the allied bi-plane fighters, particularly the French Nieuport’s, the prototype Albatros D.I featured a more powerful engine and a streamlined plywood skinned fuselage (semi-monocoque), which differed from it’s contemporaries, which had linen covered structure.
Performance during flight testing was enough for the Idflieg to place an initial order for 50 aircraft with serial numbers D.422/16 to D.471/16.
Although a second batch was ordered with serial numbers D.472/6 to D.521/16, these were never built as the improved Albatros D.II was already in production.
In total, seven units were formed and operated the Albatros D.I, the second unit being Jasta 2, formed at Laguincourt during August 1916 and commanded by Oberleutnant (later Hauptmann) Oswald Boelcke.
The introduction of this aircraft caused concern, especially as it proved superior to the RFC DH.2 fighters.
However, it’s operational career was short and by the end of 1916 the Albatros D.I was being replaced by the newer D.II.
Of the 50 aircraft built, some survived to the end of the war, being used as flight trainers.

This particular Albatros D.I was a pre-production version and had differences to the production aircraft.
An Anemometer was fitted to the forward, starboard interplane strut and the expansion tank for the engine cooling system was located at the front of the forward engine cylinder.
The propeller fitted was an ‘Axial’, rather than the more often fitted ‘Reschke’ type.
The serial number of this aircraft has been stated as being D384/16, but it seems this may not be the case.
Although the aircraft was probably delivered in the standard factory finish, it was later painted in an undefined green colour.
In addition, the white Crossfield of the Balken Cross markings on the upper wing were painted over, leaving the remaining Crossfields intact.

Initially this aircraft was flown by Diether Collin and his personal marking of a white ‘Co’, outlined in black, was added to the fuselage sides, to the rear of the Balken Cross.
Later this aircraft was flown by the Prussian Prince Friedrich Karl, when the markings of Collin were replaced with skull and cross bones on a black background marking.
These were applied to the fuselage sides and the propeller spinner.
On the 21st of March 1917, Prince Karl was wound during combat with DH.2 fighters of No.32 Squadron (RFC).
He made a forced lading between the lines but was shot in the spine as he attempted to reach the safety of his own lines and died of his wounds.
The aircraft was later captured and given the RFC identification of G-17.

On the 13th of August 1918, Collin was severely wounded during combat with Sopwith Camels of No.204 Squadron (RAF) over Bailleul and later that day died of his wounds, aged 25.

Mike
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/22/21 06:44 PM

Informative bit of history! Thanks. Looking forward to how youdisplay this one Mike.

I noticed the word "commision" in your post! Please do share photos of it. I guess you will be more skilled at packaging now that we have progressed past my fiasco biggrin

Good luck to you mate!
Posted By: OvStachel

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/22/21 07:04 PM

Drool..... drool... and more drool... filling the bucket ....

I can't WAIT to see this one!

Best luck with it!
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/22/21 07:48 PM

Yikes! December? You can get one right now in UK from Model Hobbies for £54.00. Add £6.00 and delivery is free. But I guess you’re not in a rush biggrin
Mine came in July.
But this is better. It’s an Albatros after all. readytoeat

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/22/21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fullofit
Yikes! December? You can get one right now in UK from Model Hobbies for £54.00. Add £6.00 and delivery is free. But I guess you’re not in a rush biggrin
Mine came in July.

and it's built by "SANDBAGGER"!!!! No substitute will be accepted!!

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/23/21 12:33 PM

Mine came in July.

Actually I got it a few weeks ago and it's already being built biggrin
It doesn't have to be delivered in December, so plenty of time yet yep
I've modified the internal structure to be able to mount it on bent acrylic rod and in a take-off position.

Mike

Not WW1 I know so just this one shot.

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/23/21 12:50 PM

Hi Rob,
I've changed the initial post as the Vulcan is a build for a friend so not really a commission as such,

Mike
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/23/21 01:25 PM

It’s an impressive “Eindecker”. Will you, or have you corrected any of the mistakes associated with the museum piece that the model was based on?

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/23/21 07:36 PM

It’s an impressive “Eindecker”. Will you, or have you corrected any of the mistakes associated with the museum piece that the model was based on?

Well, I'm trying to build it based on some research but mainly photographs taken at the time of that squadrons aircraft.
Like many completed models, it may end up not an exact representation, but hopefully close enough for government work,

Mike
Posted By: catch

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/23/21 10:19 PM

Please get back to real aeroplanes Bagger. That thing looks like some fantastical creation from the imagination of young Herbert George Wells. dizzy

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/24/21 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by catch
Please get back to real aeroplanes Bagger. That thing looks like some fantastical creation from the imagination of young Herbert George Wells. dizzy

hahaha I will,

Mike
Posted By: JFM

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/24/21 04:03 PM

Regarding the Alb in question, a few things:

1. It definitely was NOT 384/16. That plane had struts between the horizontal stabs and rudder--the only Alb D I've seen with them--and a Reschke prop. I also have photos of it crashed, and clearly it is not the same machine. E.g., the struts, painted differently, etc.

2. Be careful of that profile. Photos show the rudder was entirely white, not CDL with a white crossfield.

I'll see if I can attach photos of 384/16 pranged, and the Prince's machine so you can see the rudder.

Attached picture Albatros D.I 384-16_crash.jpg
Attached picture Jasta Boelcke Prinz Albatros D.I.jpg

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/24/21 05:57 PM

Hi James,
Many thanks.
I've been reading your D.I-D.II book.
It always amazes me how much research you must do for your books.
The level of information is fantastic.
I still haven't managed to complete reading your two MVR books!!

I'm struggling a bit try to figure out the coolant expansion tank at the front of the engine cylinders and it's associated external pipework.
Dan San Abbot thought there was a header tank between the fuselage cabane struts, but I'm not sure.
Looking at contemporary illustrations, it looks like the tank was directly connected by a pipe to the gallery supplying the two fuselage mounted 'Windhoff' radiators.

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/24/21 06:37 PM

Thanks, Mike!

I'm not sure about the exact plumbing on that machine. As far as DSA's thoughts, I'm not saying he's wrong, as I've not seen any official internal diagrams, but there'd be very little room there for anything between the struts with the engine, guns, ammo bins, spent belt bins, and fuel tanks there. In the cropped closeup of this machine I'll attach below, there *is* a protuberance jutting above the Maxim but it looks to be the fuel tank air pump. There appears to be two lines leading back above the camshaft, one of which curled above the wing, but I'm unsure about the other. In this view it almost looks to be attached to the air filter but why would that be? I'm not saying it IS attached, mind you. Can't tell for certain, and this is the closest/clearest shot I have at the moment.

Attached picture Albatros D.I_Prinz Friedrich Karl_Closeup.jpg

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/24/21 08:18 PM

Hi James,
Yes I had my doubts about DSA's suggestion of a header tank.
These illustrations show the cabane struts with only re-enforcing webs at the front and rear.
My best guess is is coolant was pumped through the supply pipe at the lower right of the six engine cylinders.
It then passed up through the outer cooling jackets to the collector pipe at the top of the cylinders and from there into the expansion tank.
The photo seems to show two narrow pipes from the tank being routed rearwards, with one bending up towards where the upper wing would be.
As this aircraft did not have a wing fitted radiator, I can only assume the two pipes were routed down inside the to supply the hot coolant to the side mounted 'Windhoff' radiators.
From there the coolant would be supplied back to the water pump for re-circulation through the engine.
The only reason I can see for an expansion tank having a pipe routed upwards would be if it was a for releasing over pressurization of the cooling system.
Later D.I's with the standard over engine expansion tanks have these pipes.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/25/21 06:05 PM

cheers

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/27/21 04:38 PM

reading

So much to learn in so little time! Thanks for the course, gentlemen!!

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/29/21 11:31 PM

Hi all,
The engine is completed.
It's the basic kit engine with just a few enhancements, as most will be hidden by the the fuselage.
I've added:
Ignition lead support tubes (1.0 diameter brass tube).
Ignition leads at the spark plugs and magnetos (0.3 mm diameter lead wire).
Coolant expansion tank and pipe (modified WNW engine cylinder and 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube and flexible black tube).
Coolant supply pipe from water pump to cylinder integral gallery.
Carburettor control rods (blackened 0.4 mm Brass tube).
Air vale at rear of camshaft housing.
Fuel feed pipes to base of the carburettor.
Spare WNW data plate decals.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: catch

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/30/21 07:28 AM

Ah, a real engine, not one of those whiny things. You're cookin' Bagger.

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 08/30/21 06:35 PM

Very nice!

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/01/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sandbagger
Hi James,
Yes I had my doubts about DSA's suggestion of a header tank.
These illustrations show the cabane struts with only re-enforcing webs at the front and rear.
My best guess is is coolant was pumped through the supply pipe at the lower right of the six engine cylinders.
It then passed up through the outer cooling jackets to the collector pipe at the top of the cylinders and from there into the expansion tank.
The photo seems to show two narrow pipes from the tank being routed rearwards, with one bending up towards where the upper wing would be.
As this aircraft did not have a wing fitted radiator, I can only assume the two pipes were routed down inside the to supply the hot coolant to the side mounted 'Windhoff' radiators.
From there the coolant would be supplied back to the water pump for re-circulation through the engine.
The only reason I can see for an expansion tank having a pipe routed upwards would be if it was a for releasing over pressurization of the cooling system.
Later D.I's with the standard over engine expansion tanks have these pipes.

Mike

Hiya Mike. Nice work so far. As I found, and I know this sounds bad, but you have to take everything DSA wrote with a grain of salt. Not because it is wrong, it's more because there is so much more information out there that has contradicted a lot of his work, especially his color profiles. I found Jim's works extremely helpful and far more accurate due to the amount of information and modern techniques he uses to get things right.. and again, sources.

Good luck on this one, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. The D.I/D.II variants are some of my personal favorites.

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/03/21 08:42 PM

Hi all,
I'm getting close to the fuselage being closed up.
As is usual, most of this won't be seen, but hey-ho.
I just have to add the flight control lines, engine controls, wiring at the starter magneto and switch and the gun trigger cables.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/03/21 11:49 PM

Time to consider custom crafting a removable section so that all of your hard work can be seen and remembered when you want to view it. A new engineering opportunity which maybe even you have never tackled bagger??? Just a thought, and a bit of a challenge for you??? winkngrin

S!Blade<><

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/04/21 09:01 AM

Hi Blade,
Yes I have thought of something along those lines.
Although I have built the skeletal Fokker D.VII,

Mike

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/04/21 12:35 PM

Not The Same! hahaha That was an incredible build, but this a different opportunity on a miniscule scale compared to that colossal work.
Either way this is going to be a very nice build, but as you yourself said, it will be a shame to hide all of those details away for good.

S!Blade<><

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/04/21 03:28 PM

Well, how about a compromise approach! Build two, one open, one closed! biggrin

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/04/21 10:23 PM

Eer - yeah - thanks Rob biggrin

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/04/21 10:36 PM

Hee Hee!
Posted By: CodyCoyote

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/05/21 12:45 PM

Or one side closed and the other side open.

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/06/21 02:24 PM

Haven't you guys got something to do hahaha

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/06/21 02:43 PM

Not me Mike, It's Labour Day here in Canada!! National Holiday!! biggrin

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/06/21 03:21 PM

Labor day holiday here also. Back to work Sanbagger!!! hahaha

S!Blade<><

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/06/21 06:53 PM

Hi all,
The fuselage is now closed up with joints filled and sanded.
I've replaced the kit supplied machine guns with equivalent weapons from 'GasPatch'.
The guns and fuselage detail needed modification to fit the guns correctly.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/06/21 06:57 PM

It's looking good!! Nice rivet details there showing through

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/07/21 08:15 AM

Hi all,
I need to replace the two machine guns.
This aircraft was armed with the earlier LMG 08, not the later 08/15 I used.

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/07/21 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sandbagger
Hi all,
I need to replace the two machine guns.
This aircraft was armed with the earlier LMG 08, not the later 08/15 I used.

Mike

Which raises a question as to how you "un-glue" a part.

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/08/21 08:52 AM

Hi Rob,
That's easy in this instance as the guns are just dry fitted, not permanently fixed in position.
Otherwise it's apply more liquid cement to soften the joints or apply de-bonder to break CA adhesive joints,

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/08/21 01:18 PM

Thanks Mike. I sent you a PM this morning.

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/11/21 06:51 PM

Hi all,
I'm a bit slower than normal working this model as I'm working another unrelated model at the same time.
In order to sand and fill gaps after fitting the lower wing, some of the surface detail under the lower wing was also removed.
I thought this would be a good opportunity to try the 'Quinta Studios' 3D printed detail set for this aircraft.
To that end I've sanded off the surface details in preparation.
If the 'Quinta' parts don't work out I will revert to the photo-etch detail set I have from 'Part'.

In the meantime I've had to fill the pre-moulded recesses in the fuselage sides, above the lower wing roots.
These are intended for attaching the flying wires, but are not located correctly.
The flying wires for the Albatros D.I were routed through a cover panel on the upper surface of the lower wing root at the fuselage.
The wires passed through a recess below and into the fuselage attachment points.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mandrews

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/12/21 07:10 PM

Mike --

How do you manage to find the illustrations, pictures, & sketches that allow you to get these models so good? This is the second time you've posted illustrations that include details like this on this plane.

MA
Posted By: carrick58

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/13/21 12:55 AM

Amazing attention to detail. U guys rock

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/13/21 08:43 AM

Hi all,
Thanks - I try.
Before I start a model I always research the aircraft type and if possible, the particular pilot and his aircraft.
I use the internet a lot, but also have reference books, including many Windsock Data files, which are dedicated to certain aircraft of WW1.
Other modelers information and pointers can also be helpful.
Finally I have those online, such as our own 'Shredward', who are veritable mines of information.
Then it's a case of filtering out what is doubtful and filling in the gaps with educated guesses.
Once I have all I need, I'll start by writing as much as I can into my build log, including relevant photographs and illustrations.
Then I'll start on the model itself and where necessary, modify or enhance parts as I go.
The good thing is that in most cases, no-one can say for sure about particular details of WW1 aircraft, especially regards their colour schemes.
Even so called experts can get it wrong sometimes,

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/15/21 01:04 PM

And of course there is always the "filed mod" excuse for misinformation. A lot of these planes were modded in the field by very good and observant mechanics... then the info fed back to the manufacturer as a design alteration.

Mike, I think, but I am not 100% sure the D.I was only built by Johannisthal. Although the camo pattern on the wing pic you posted looks like the LVG variant. Just double check that. They are very different between the manufactures, as were the painting of the lower wing struts and data plate/serial number locations. Most notable on the D.II variant that was mass produced. It's all in the Windsock for the D.I/D.II and JFM's book as well.

Looks awesome so far!

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/17/21 02:25 PM

Hi James,
Thanks.
I have both so I will check.
Whether the colour of the upper surfaces of the wings were camo or the same as the fuselage is unconfirmed.
Some suggest camo, others same shade of green.
The age old problem when modeling WW1 aircraft,

Mike
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/18/21 04:47 AM

Those guns almost look like they would actually fire!

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/18/21 09:58 AM

Hi Rick,
''GasPatch' resin guns.
These are the correct type I need to fit,

Mike

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/19/21 01:29 AM

Very nice!

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/19/21 08:25 PM

I know you've probably seen these, SB, but I'll attach them anyway so others can check 'em out. They are a bit grainy but I don't have anything clearer.

Attached picture Wings 1.jpg
Attached picture Wings 3.jpg
Attached picture Wings 4.jpg

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/19/21 09:13 PM

Hi James,
Thanks - I've not seen the first two before.
What's your take on the possible colour of the upper surfaces of the wings/ailerons and tail plane/elevators?

Mike
Posted By: Shredward

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/20/21 04:03 PM

Really hard to interpret those pics, but I think, and I really hesitate to say it, but I think we are seeing Johannisthal 3 colour camo (olive, pale green, rust brown) on the wings and tail. But that could just be the product of a fetid imagination. dizzy Or, I could be full of it, and the wings are monocolour, same as the fuselage. I would suggest the mottling that is quite evident on the ailerons is from the painting out of the white field on the Cross, ordered by Idflieg on 30 October 1916, the white field being replaced with the white outline.
Cheers,
shredward
Posted By: Dezh

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/20/21 05:52 PM

For what little my input counts I'm inclined to agree, Ted. I see a different shade of grey (or is it a whiter shade of pale?) on both upper and lower planes, especially the latter in the second image. Or I could be full of it too - I not infrequently am.

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 09/20/21 06:05 PM

The mess was humming harder
As the ceiling flew away
When we called out for another round
The steward brought a tray
And so it was that later
As Jim Miller told his tale
That my face, at first just ghostly
Turned a whiter...

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/01/21 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shredward
Really hard to interpret those pics, but I think, and I really hesitate to say it, but I think we are seeing Johannisthal 3 colour camo (olive, pale green, rust brown) on the wings and tail. But that could just be the product of a fetid imagination. dizzy Or, I could be full of it, and the wings are monocolour, same as the fuselage. I would suggest the mottling that is quite evident on the ailerons is from the painting out of the white field on the Cross, ordered by Idflieg on 30 October 1916, the white field being replaced with the white outline.
Cheers,
shredward

Hi Ted,
I'm inclined to agree with camoflaged upper surfaces.
I believe the three colour camouflage was predominately applied on D.I aircraft built by LVG.
Below is a top profile of a D.I two tone scheme, although it differs from the photo of a D.I, which was presumably also Johannisthal built.
I think I'll go with the two tone colour scheme, as it'll be different from most models I've seen of this aircraft.
Besides, who knows exactly what colours the wings actually were.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/01/21 07:40 PM

Hi all,
Slower than usual progress on the Albatros D.I (real life got in the way).
I've airbrushed the fuselage and upper surface of the elevator with a mix of Tamiya Cockpit Green (XF73) mixed with White (X2).
It's the closest I could get to the colour profile by Ronnie Barr.
The nose and forward decking panel is Tamiya Medium Sea Grey (XF83).
Next up is the two tone brown/green for the upper surface of the wings and tail plane, which will be covered with clear linen effect 'Aviattic decal..
The undersides will be light blue linen effect 'Aviattic decal.
It'll all be weathered in due course.

Mike

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/02/21 07:20 PM

Hi all,
Upper surfaces camo painted.
Mixed ‘Tamiya’ J.A. Green (XF13) with White (X2) and Flat Brown (XF10) with White (X2) to an approximate ratio of 80/20.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/09/21 05:01 PM

Hi all,
Some progress on the Albatros D.I.
The smoothed and grey primed surfaces were clear gloss coated with 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss 600.
The undersides of the wings and tail unit had the ‘Aviattic’ German blue linen (ATT32077) white backed decal applied.
The upper surfaces of the wings and tail unit had the ‘Aviattic’ clear Linen Weave effect (ATT32236) decal applied.
All surfaces were then airbrushed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) lacquer.
The 'Roden' kit supplied decals were as expected very thin and fragile and were easily broken when applied.
Also this particular aircraft had marking not available as decals.
Therefore I inkjet printed all of the decals required onto white decal paper then sealed them with two coats of acrylic sealer.

I decided to try out the 'Quinta Studios’ 3D printed Albatros D.I set (QD32076).
The model raised details were already sanded away before painting.
Due to the time it took for the set to arrive in the UK from Russia (via Poland), I had already closed up the fuselage.
Therefore I only used the Part 1 sheet which had the external details.
These were brush painted to match the surrounding colours on the model parts.
I did not used the two strips on the upper surface of the lower wing roots as they were way too thick.
Instead I used strips of painted photo-etch.

All surfaces were then airbrushed again with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) lacquer.
Weathering was applied using the 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt fine clay wash.
All surfaces were then finally airbrushed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC311) lacquer to seal it all.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/11/21 01:51 AM

Looking good! Constructive criticism: Cross on the tail is way too small. I agree with Shredward about the mottling.

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/11/21 11:44 AM

Hi James,
Good spot.
I've realised what I did.
I applied the decals on the fuselage and tail the wrong way around.
The larger should be on the fin, the smaller on the fuselage sigh
Also the rudder seems not to have the white background (due to light colour of the rudder).
Hmmmm - tricky to correct at this stage as they've been weathered and sealed confused
Let's see,

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/13/21 10:03 PM

Hi James,
I've managed to fix the fuselage and fin/rudder decals (see previous post photographs).
A bit better I think,

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/15/21 02:10 PM

Hi all,
Just a small update.
I've added photo-etch mesh to the front and rear of the 'Windhoff' radiators.
The photo-etch was heated slightly to create a heated look and then given a dark wash.
I've also added the bottom drain cock, made from 'Taurus Models' engine fuel primer.
Finally I added the radiators upper and lower attachment plates to the fuselage,

Mike

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/17/21 04:31 PM

Hi all,
The rudder, elevator and landing gear has now been fitted.
I've also pre-rigged the various flight and control wires, prior to fitting the upper wing.
The lines are 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament with blackened 0.5 mm diameter Brass tube.
The turnbuckles are from the 'GasPatch' 1:48th scale series.
There is a slight bow one of the rear landing gear struts, which I need to sort out,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: carrick58

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/17/21 07:20 PM

Un believable Detail

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/19/21 08:19 PM

Hi all,
During fitting of the upper wing both front struts of the fuselage cabane strut assembly snapped.
Looking at them it looks like they snapped cleanly and I think along stress points, possibly created during release from the moulds.
So rather than pin and glue them together, I decided to make replacement struts from Brass tube shaped around Brass rod.

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/19/21 09:11 PM

Ah, another of those "Best laid plans"!! Fortunately you have the skills and material to make replacements.

Looking forward to the end result Mike.

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/20/21 06:44 PM

Hi all,
I've replaced the front cabane struts using profiled 1.4 mm diameter Brass tube with internal reinforcing 0.5 mm diameter Brass rod and 0.2 mm thick plastic card.
The remainder is the kit parts,

Mike

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/22/21 11:08 AM

Hi all,
The rigging is now complete.
Blackened 0.4 mm and 0.5 mm Brass tube, 'GasPatch' 1:48th scale turnbuckles and 0.08 mm and 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/22/21 06:13 PM

Hi all,
Just a few more details to add for this particular aircraft.
Then it's on to the figure and display base.
I've added the bungee suspension cords and tail skid.

What's left to do:
Propeller and spinner.
Exhaust.
Windscreen.
Cooling system vent pipe.
External airspeed indicator.
Mirror and instrument.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/26/21 03:14 PM

Hi all,
The pilot figure is finished - ‘Wings Cockpit Figures’ leaning pilot (LSK 06).
Painted with a mix of 'Tamiya', 'AK Interactive' and 'Citadel' paints.

I'm just waiting for the case and information plaque to arrive.
Once the display is done I'll post up completed photographs.

Thanks to everyone's encouraging comments, appreciated,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/28/21 03:21 PM

Hi all,
Here's the shots of the pre-production Albatros D.I of Ltn. Dieter Collin of Jasta 2 ’Boelcke’, flying from Berthincourt, September 1916.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/28/21 03:39 PM

Mike it looks beautiful and I do like the figure leaning on the nacelle.

What's next on your build schedule?

Best Regards

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/28/21 05:10 PM

Hi Rob,
Thanks.
Next up is a French Salmson 2-A2,

Mike

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/28/21 05:22 PM

Ahh, if only we had a few of those ploughing their way through the skies Over Flanders Fields, or the vineyards of the Champagne.....

Cheers,
shredward
Posted By: CodyCoyote

Re: 1:32nd scale Albatros D.I - 10/29/21 01:58 PM

Beautiful. Exceptionally realistic!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums