homepage

Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome

Posted By: epower

Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/21/21 09:40 PM

Turns out this was a very busy place in 1918 but its layout remains hidden in the darkness of history.

I've scoured all the usual places, Mike O'Connor's books, squadron web sites, etc. I got tantalizingly close on Aerodromes Anciens, which shows historical location on a modern satellite map as well as listing squadrons and numbers of hangars but alas, no pics.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: Shredward

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 12:37 AM

UT Dallas has some photos in the St. Martin WWI Photographic Negative Collection

Cheers,
shredward
Posted By: R.Talbot

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 02:01 AM

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A34

https://maps.nls.uk/ww1/trenches/

Try here perhaps?
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 11:50 AM

Epower, I've looked through all my files and books and such and the best I can come up with is the following slim chance "maybe". I have the photo marked as unknown, but Shredward might actually be able to identity the place. The intersection of roads is similar to that seen on current Google Maps of Conteville, so if you allow for a century of possible changes and reroutes, again, maybe?

[Linked Image]

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 04:02 PM

Shredward - Didn't know that collection existed. I see they have 3 photos there. Now I must find a way to get copies...I was only familiar withthe Perry-Casteneda collection at UT-Austin. Why do I feel like I'm standing on the edge of the research abyss eek

R.Talbot - I thought I'd scoured MacMaster Univ archive but taking a second look, I did find Conteville on map 36b SW in 1:40,000 scale, which gave me another point of comparison for the aerial photograph. NLS maps stop farther east, unfortunately. Great site that. I've spent many an hour there.

Lou - A tantalizing photo. That looked like a very large 'drome There are some similarities. Not sure though. I've attached 2 contemporary map pics of Conteville. Not sure of the sorurce for the Anciens aerodromes map and it shows a crossroads where the Ordnance survey map does not.

My thanks to you all, gentlemen. Another rabbit hole beckons.

E

Attached picture Conteville French Map.jpg
Attached picture Grid 36B sw M10.jpg

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 05:25 PM

I've been busy re-arranging and re-orienting maps and photos and trying to square them with that beautiful aerodrome photo, and I can't quite make it fit. That, and the fact that the tent hangars appear Hunnish, suggests to me that unfortunately, the photo is not Conteville. The search continues.
Cheers,
shredward

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 05:38 PM

Ted, I agree that the tent hangars do look more Hunnish, yet the plane markings look more like roundels than they do crosses. And then there are all those un-Hunnish Bessonneaus as well. And I've been doing the same thing you have in an attempt to match up that intersection with one on the maps, but to no avail.

Epower, please share those photos when and if you get them, I for one would love to see them.

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 06:07 PM

EPower,
If you get access at UT, you are looking for
Conteville Aerodrome, France, B072, B073, BI03, B164, B340
Conteville, France, B060, B064, B065, B066, B067, B068, B069, B070, B071, B072, B074, B102, BI03, B104, B338, B339, B343
Conteville, France, A013, AOI4, A022
Conteville, France, COI9, C020, C021, C022, C023, C034, C035, C036, C037, COSO, C096
Conteville, France, F043, F044, F080
Conteville, France, G027

Cheers,
shredward
Posted By: R.Talbot

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 06:18 PM

The casting of the shadows in the picture there suggest that field is either on the north or south side of that town, depending on if it's morning or afternoon at the time of the picture.
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 06:26 PM

Do I sense a new WOFF drome mod coming!! eek

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 07:07 PM

Robert, there is always a new WOFF drome mod coming. winkngrin

.R.Talbot, it's also possible, based on the shadows, that the photo is upside down and it was about noon at the time it was taken, and which would put the aerodrome on the west side of that town.

Posted By: RedToo

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 08:03 PM

In this old thread 'Gunner Bailey' in the third post down claims to have a 'Royal Engineers plan / sketch' of Conteville airfield. If nothing else it suggests there is something out there. Sorry can't be of more use.

Oops, forgot the link!

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/43560-help-with-airfields-please/

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/22/21 08:35 PM

I've sent a note to Gunner Bailey. Let's see if he can turn up anything.
Cheers,
shredward

Re: Seeking pics or diagrams of Conteville Aerodrome - 02/23/21 01:12 AM

Nice shot Red Too! Couldn't resist salute Much appreciated. Could be just the trail of bread crumbs that leads to treasure.

Thanks for the call numbers, Shredward. I'll see what I can finagle from UT through some academic contacts. I eagerly await news of your msg to Gunner Bailey.

Robert, Maybe... once I catch up a certain DID character. Just lining things up in case our man survives long enough to make use of such things.

Anybody know if Gorrell's "History of the American Expeditionary Forces Air Service, 1917 - 1919" might have any photos? I know the 17th Aero based at Conteville briefly.

© 2024 SimHQ Forums