homepage

So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business...

Posted By: RAF_Louvert

So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 05:08 PM

...when HQ moved my DID squadron - hadn't even been there a week! The ways of the Brass Hats are inscrutable and enigmatic. Anyway, started a quick slapdash of the new digs as this place has never been even close to properly represented in either OFF or WOFF, despite it being a famous location for a lot of outfits. I am having to use stand-in buildings for the main facility, (which was much more expansive in RL than what I have showing), but it still manages to give some semblance of the locale. I had to move the aerodrome(s) to the proper location as well, which also helps to give the place a more historically correct feel.

And so, which one of our numerous WWI scholars knows where we are now? (Shredward, I know you know so lets give someone else a chance, eh) biggrin

[Linked Image]

Also, if one of our resident 3D artisans - cough cough - Maeran - cough - Fullofit - cough cough - would like to take on the challenge of creating the actual, massive model for this one, we would all be forever in your debt.

Lou

Attached picture WOFF_PE_HQ_move_WIP_001.jpg
Posted By: AceMedic88

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 06:16 PM

I'll throw a shot out there, since it's been the place I've been wishing for forever...is it Bailleul (Town and Asylum)?
Posted By: Shredward

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 06:28 PM

you and me both !
cheers,
shredward

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 06:58 PM

DING DING DING! You are correct AM, give that man a cigar, and one to Shredward too on general principle, (the General will never miss them, he has enough to last him two wars AND a police action).

From an initial sizing up of this one it looks like it may take three facilities to get all the fields in where they should be, and likely a fourth one for the Asylum and grounds, should we be fortunate enough to have one built for us. (wink wink, nudge nudge, know-what-I-mean know-what-I-mean, say-no-more say-no-more)

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 07:09 PM

Looking forward to this. Will all of these be available upon completion or must we wait an additional two weeks on top of the two weeks from two weeks ago? winkngrin
Posted By: Maeran

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 07:16 PM

[Linked Image]

This place?

Funnily enough, La Lovie chateaux was turned into a sanatorium after the war. Why are the birdmen always near a madhouse?

I've not finished La Lovie yet (Texturing, bane of my art). If Fullofit doesn't step in in the meantime, then I'm sure I can.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 07:28 PM

Maeran, that would be the place, and if you, or Fullofit, can give us this one in the sim that would be stellar! As to why the birdmen are always near a madhouse, "Per Dementia Ad Astra". pilot

AM, what I can do for those interested is I can put together a WIP mod of the assortment. It would not have final textures for all seasons, but it could likely suffice until the final product is completed for WOFF 2020. Two weeks tops.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 07:34 PM

Also, from the looks of the place Maeran, it's pretty much a mirror image from left to right so you really only need to create half of those buildings. Look how much easier it just got! biggrin

Posted By: Raine

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 07:43 PM

Lou,

this is incredible – now we get both La Lovie AND the Bailleul fields! You have given me a wonderful idea. I making a list of all the aerodromes I would love to see beautifully modelled and will then put on my Dungeon Master robes to transfer Freddie about accordingly. As Olham would say, MWAA-HA-HA!
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/05/20 09:48 PM

Lou, another excellent project. HQ could at least wait until you finish La Lovie. Maybe wait a little longer and they’ll transfer you again?
I’ll have to sit this one out. It’s all yours Maeran.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/06/20 12:45 AM

Lou, I'm curious about one thing when it comes to attempting to make this as close as you can to the real thing: will you attempt to put the covered pond somewhere on the field?

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/06/20 04:38 PM

AM, yes, I will have the covered pond showing in the final offering.

Raine, you're evil. biggrin

Fullofit, no worries, we'll catch you on the next one.

I've just finished placing and arranging the three needed facilities into the landscape ENE of Bailleul and did a rudimentary placement of the hangars to see how everything is going to scale out. The dotted rectangle shows the location and approximate overall size of the Asylum and grounds.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture WOFF_PE_Bailleul_WIP_002.jpg
Posted By: Maeran

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/06/20 04:49 PM

The assylum complex is huge. 417m by 294m. I think that the two wings should be a building each, and the central buildings and Chapel should be separate buildings. Otherwise the collision boxes would hang over a lot of air. That'd upset anyone wanting to barnstorm the hospital (you know you want to do that)

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/06/20 05:00 PM

Agreed Maeran, we would absolutely want to do that. biggrin

Posted By: epower

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/06/20 09:22 PM

Oh dear. Let no good deed... OTOH, forgetting to check Jefford's "RAF Squadrons," is our gain duck

If Freddy makes it to Feb he can see your excellent work as 64 will be back to the area at Poperinghe.

<S> to you for making WOFF so much richer.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/06/20 09:51 PM

Epower, I could have taken a peek at Jefford's "RAF Squadrons", but then that would have only spoiled the surprise. SURPRISE!

Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 12:27 AM

Just reading the crazy banter on this thread is quite enough to understand why the asylum is near to the airmen!

Now what sort of rig am I going to need to run these marvelous simulations? I'm about due for an update (build was in Nov. 2011), and kksnowbears, 1080Ti SLI configuration has me looking at some penny-pinching antics! I'll head over to that corner of the mess to see how that's going.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 03:16 PM

HD, as with most of the landscape and aerodrome mods created here, we will strive to keep the FPS hit as low as possible, so that dual 1080Ti rig you're contemplating should likely be able to handle things. biggrin

Here is an update on this one.
I've completed the fine tuning and adjustment of the four needed facilities in the sim, (yup, had to add a fourth one); two fields and two field extensions. I've also painted in the roads that surround the bulk of this complex and tied them into existing roads in the adjacent landscape, and I've further painted in the Asylum ground paths, (in anticipation of Maeran's 3D models). With this basic footprint completed I can now switch to Slartibartfast mode and move on to having "endless fun doing all the fiddly bits". Here is a screenshot from 8,500' above the place, along with the corresponding layout map I've been using as one of my primary sources to get this one sorted out. You can see where I've had to make the necessary adjustments in order to fit this complex into the WOFF world, but all-in-all it has stayed fairly true to its RL counterpart.

[Linked Image]

Cheers!

Attached picture WOFF_PE_Bailleul_WIP_003.jpg

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 03:36 PM

Amazing work Lou, as always. Will there be an Easter egg in this facility as well?

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 03:48 PM

Thanks Fullofit. As to an Easter egg - maybe - though the one I placed in our Abbaye de Mont Saint Eloi mod has yet to be discovered, or if it has been no one is claiming it.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 03:55 PM

I suppose you would need a model of asylum resident then.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 04:11 PM

You should knock one of those together for us. winkngrin

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 04:22 PM

Lou, I can only do stick people, but I can model the asylum resident part on myself.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 04:32 PM

Fullofit, now you're just talking crazy.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 04:45 PM

Lou, it’s a dying art.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 05:10 PM

Poor Art, I knew him well.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 05:15 PM

a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 11/08/20 05:25 PM

Someone had to go there. Well done, Horatio.

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 12/15/20 07:12 PM

While he is still working on the textures I just had to show off the stellar 3D model work that Maeran did on the Asylum. He sent it to me sans said textures so that I could fit the complex into my facility file and create the landscape textures that surround the building, all of which I started on this morning. The basic skeleton of walkways are now laid out and everything else will key off these and the buildings themselves. Brilliant stuff Maeran! Two thumbs up, five stars, and ten out of ten Sir! Thanks again for your time and talents. cheers

[Linked Image]

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 12/15/20 07:30 PM

Now that is spectacular !
Beautifully done Maeran !

Re: So there I was, working on La Lovie, minding my own business... - 12/15/20 08:13 PM

Congrats Boys! You should start your own company. Maybe call it Old Black Dog?
© 2024 SimHQ Forums