homepage

OT - Military Aeroplanes 1915

Posted By: manitouguy

OT - Military Aeroplanes 1915 - 07/03/20 04:13 AM

Hi all, again off topic as i go through some of my older WW1 aviation literature - thought some of you might find this one interesting or may know more about it you could offer info on?

I don't know much about it but first published in 1915 with eight editions up through 1918 ... I think it was a 'textbook' of sorts for aero engineers and maybe pilots? some neat sections .. very technical and some neat old photos too

someone was bored in a class perhaps and was doodling their 'fancy' on the inside front cover ... is that a squadron or school reference penciled in there?

cheers, Ron

Attached picture m1.jpg
Attached picture m2.jpg
Attached picture m3.jpg
Attached picture m4.jpg
Attached picture m5.jpg
Attached picture m6.jpg
Attached picture m7.jpg
Attached picture m8.jpg
Attached picture m9.jpg
Attached picture m10.jpg
Attached picture m11.jpg
Attached picture m12.jpg
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: OT - Military Aeroplanes 1915 - 07/03/20 09:31 AM

Ron,

That book of yours belonged to a cadet who was studying at the No. 4 School of Aeronautics at the University of Toronto. During WWI they taught courses in engine maintenance, aerial photography, map reading, telegraphy, and such, after which the cadets were sent on for flight training elsewhere. The fellow's service number is just below his name so you could find out more about him from the war records most likely.

I have a copy of that book myself, also from a former student and most likely from the same school. It's a good techincal source to have in your WWI aviation library.

Cheers,

Lou

Posted By: Sandbagger

Re: OT - Military Aeroplanes 1915 - 07/03/20 09:40 AM

Author:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Loening

Burwash Hall:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burwash_Hall
Posted By: manitouguy

Re: OT - Military Aeroplanes 1915 - 07/03/20 04:29 PM

thanks guys - very interesting - and apologies - i maybe should have done a bit more on the google search too before asking!?!
cheers, Ron
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: OT - Military Aeroplanes 1915 - 07/03/20 05:03 PM

Manitouguy;

Google search!! Now if my suspicions are correct, (and Raine or Lou can confirm this), Google search is the product of a current offspring of Barney Google! Gentlemen, am I wrong on this??

click to view
© 2024 SimHQ Forums