homepage

Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale

Posted By: Sandbagger

Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/20/20 08:02 PM

Hi all,
Next up on the modelling bench is the Roden 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III.
As the last three models I've built were resin and needed more than a little 'correction', I thought I'd get back to styrene for this one.
That said I am aware this kit will also need some attention, so I've noted observations from the previous builds of 'Lance', 'IWIK' and our own 'Des', in addition to those noted in the 'Pheon' decal booklet.

This model represents the early version of the Siemens Schuckert D.III (Serial number between 8340/17 and 8359/17), as flown by Ltn. Joachim von Ziegesar when serving with Jasta 15 during May, 1918.

[Linked Image] 

[Linked Image] 

[Linked Image] 

Aftermarket consists of:
‘Aviattic’ linen effect Lozenge decals -ATT32108, ATT32109, ATT32013, ATT32073 and ATT32075.
'Aviattic' Wood grain dark (ATT32235).
'Aviattic' photo-etch rib tapes (ATTETCH001).
‘Pheon’ 32023 decals - Siemens Schuckert D.III Markings.
‘Brengun’ photo-etch Siemens Schuckert D.III (BRL32014).
‘Gaspatch’ 1/32 Spandau 08/15 Extended loading Handle (Late) machine guns.
'HGW' Models' seat belts (32006).
'Loon Models' resin conversion (LO32006)
Hopefully, if Alex comes up good - 'ProperPlane' wood laminated four bladed propeller.

One day I will build something 'OOB',

Mike
Posted By: Shredward

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/20/20 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sandbagger
Hi all,

Mike

One day, pigs might fly !

Cheers,
shredward
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/21/20 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Shredward
Hi all,

Mike

One day, pigs might fly !

Cheers,
shredward

biggrin biggrin

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/21/20 11:44 AM

Just for you doubters yep

[Linked Image] 
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/21/20 11:57 AM

I can already see the aftermarket decals and resin goggles.
Just tell everyone that when you are doing a kit OOB, it means Out Of Boredom.

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/21/20 12:06 PM

Frustrated, annoyed, perplexed, but never bored winkngrin

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/24/20 09:13 PM

Hi all,
I've started this model with working on the engine.
My original intention was to replace the kit supplied engine with the excellent resin engine from 'Aviattic'.
However, as I started to build that engine I decided that it was too good to be hidden under an engine cowl, even though the engine cowl on this aircraft exposed more of the engine than most rotary powered aircraft.
Therefore I've built the kit supplied engine, but with one modification, namely replacing the oversized valve push rods.

To do this the push rods were cut away from the engine front casing, which was the cemented onto the engine.
I then drilled 0.6 mm diameter holes into the outer edge of the housing, making sure the pairs of holes were drilled staggered at an angle, as with the actual engine.
Each push rod was made from 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube, which was bent at one end then flattened to represent the valve operating levers.
A sleeve of 0.6 mm diameter brass tube was cut and slid onto the rod. This is to represent the end fitting at the bottom of the push rod.
Each rod was then secured in position using CA adhesive.

The end result is not as good as the 'Aviattic' engine would be, but hoefully is an improvement on the original kit engine.

Mike

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/26/20 03:02 PM

Hi all,
I've amended the first post in this thread.
The aircraft I had intended to build was the later D.III version, but that model has been built by quite a few modellers.
So I decided to change to an 'early' D.III, which is a less common build and take up the challenge of incorporating the 'Loon Models' resin conversion.
This will entail replacing the engine cowl and support frame, tail plane/elevator assembly, propeller spinner, wing tips and ailerons.

Lets see how 'easy' this will be,

Mike
Posted By: MFair

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/27/20 11:39 AM

Looking forward to seeing this one come out of the box. Another masterpiece, no matter how many boxes and packets it comes out of. biggrin
Posted By: Deejan

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/27/20 01:06 PM

Simply beautiful work and craftsmanship Mike! I also build plastic model kits with resin, photo etched metal parts but nothing close to your league pal! Mainly stick to 1/48 scale. I sometimes venture and scratch build engines or cockpit detailing for certain aircraft and have followed some of the techniques you have posted presently and in the past on various model kits. You definitely have a talent there. Can’t wait to see this project unfold! Cheers!

All the best.
Posted By: SirMike1983

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/27/20 06:27 PM

They're fascinating airplanes - the D.III and D.IV. There's a D.III reproduction (I think it's a repro at least) at Old Rhinebeck - it's the only one I've seen in-person. They had a peculiar counter-rotating rotary/prop combination and reportedly had an excellent rate of climb. They were supposed to be used as fast-climbing interceptor aircraft. The Germans - in both wars - fielded some innovative aircraft in that role (think the Me. 163, for example) out of necessity in a defensive aerial posture. I'd love to see one of the D.III or D.IV aircraft flying with that counter-rotating engine/prop combo.
Posted By: VonS

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/27/20 08:47 PM

I look forward to developments with this model - the SSW. D. series I've always found fascinating.

@SirMike, as far as I remember from my readings, the prop. rotating counter to the cylinders is the setup on the earlier Siemens-Halske 9-cyl. rotary (Sh.I) used on the SSW D.I copy of the Nieup. 11/16. The later, 11 cyl. engine (Sh.III), as used on the D.III and D.IV has the prop. and cylinders rotating in the same direction, but the internals of the engine rotating in the opposite direction - I always found that whole topic confusing myself. Here's a snippet from the man himself (Dan-San) talking about this on TheAerodrome (http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13891&postcount=5).

You can already see an original 11-cyl. Siemens-Halske at work on Carlson's Pfalz D.VIII replica, as posted by Shredward on one of the threads (here's the link again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdzbAVKZ63w).

I just love the original sound on that engine - something between an electric dynamo and a classic rotary. Also take note of its power, and as well the (strange) propeller setup - four-bladed prop. made of two two-bladed ones brought together - although there are also historical pics. of one-piece, four-bladed props installed on these Pfalzes, including other interesting variants where two two-bladed props would be placed together, but the "x" forming two 60 degree angles instead of the typical "+" expected of a four-bladed prop. I wonder if there were any major variations in prop. efficiency, top speeds, etc., climb, with these different four-blade setups....

Happy flying,
Von S smile2
Posted By: loftyc

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/29/20 11:20 AM

Sandbagger, do you have basic materials preferences, such as kit maker, glue type, paint type, etc?

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/30/20 09:06 PM

Hi loftyc,
No not really.
I guess Wingnut Wings and Copper State Models are up there as I think the best kits.
But I've got or built stryrene and resin models from:
HPH Models
Planet Models
Omega Models
Roden
Special Hobby
Hobby Craft
MicroMir Models
Aviatic.

I use both lacquer and acrylic paints and for glues I use liquid cements for styrene and CA adhesive for resin.
Also various weathering effects, such as Flory Models fine clay wash, Enamel washes, pigment etc.

So I guess to answer you question - no not really biggrin

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/30/20 09:13 PM

Hi all,
The engine is finished now.
The only changes I made (not that you'll see much once installed):
Valve push rods made from 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube with 0.5 mm bases.
Ignition leads from 0.148 mm diameter black mono-filament.
Ignition lead plate at engine rear from 0.5 mm thick plastic card.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 05/31/20 03:51 PM

Hi all,
Onto the resin conversion set from 'Loon Models' (LO32006) for the early D.III aircraft.
The resin engine cowl is well formed but is so thin in places I can virtually see through it.
Also when offered up to the kit engine bulkhead, the resin cowl outer diameter is undersized, which leaves a step between it and the bulkhead.
As the resin cowl is way to fragile to contemplate modifying it, I chose instead to modify the bulkhead and fuselage halves.
The outer edge of the bulkhead was sanded to match the cowl.
The forward inside ends of the fuselage were scrapped to form a shoulder for the bulkhead to locate.
The end result is the fuselage. bulkhead and resin cowl now align.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The next step is to create the cooling slots and apertures in the bottom of the cowl (good thing the set has two cowls!!)
The early production SSW D.III aircraft were fitted with a full, circular cowl around the engine. In addition the propeller was fitted with a large domed spinner. These combined with poor engine lubrication, caused by the use of synthetic ‘Voltol’ oil, caused many engine failures. In an attempt to increase cooling airflow across the engine, some engine cowls had two oval apertures and three slots cut through the bottom/sides of the cowl. Although I could not find photographic evidence of this for the Jasta 15 aircraft of ’Ziegesar’, there is a photograph of the aircraft of Lt.d.R. Alfred Greven of Jasta 12, which clearly shows one of the cooling apertures.

Should be fun,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/01/20 06:01 PM

Hi all,
I marked the six cooling slots then drilled lines of 0.4 mm diameter holes, followed up with a 0.6 mm diameter drill.
Then using a thin scraper, cut between the holes to form a slit.
Lastly I open out the six cooling slots using a straight edged scalpel blade.
The two cooling holes were created the same way and finally shaped using a round needle file.
To make it easier to handle and to stop the fragile cowl from flexing, I taped the kit engine bulkhead onto the cowl.

Now it's onto the resin support frame,

Mike

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/01/20 09:32 PM

Hi all,
Based on other modellers reviews I expected problems with the 'Loon Models' engine support frame, and it didn't disappoint.
The four struts supplied are intended to fit over the front support ring and be long enough to reach the engine bulkhead.
But if you follow the instructions, the struts are too short and don't reach the bulkhead.
Also it's difficult to fit these four struts in their correct positions on the support ring such that they can fit through the cylinders to reach the engine bulkhead.

In the end I located the support ring inside the engine cowl, then fitted the four struts inside the cowl, with the front end contacting the support ring and the other flared ends at the cowl rear edge.
The four struts were then scrapped to reduce their thickness and allow the engine to locate fully into the cowl and support ring.
Now onto modifying the wing tips and ailerons,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/03/20 09:19 PM

Hi all,
A bit more progress preparing various parts.
The fuselage halves have bee scraped and sanded to:
Reduce the depth of the panel lines.
Forward side access panel removed for photo-etch replacements.
Air scoops opened up.
Forward vertical panel line removed.
Step at forward panel removed.

The resin spinner has been sorted to fit the kit propeller and spinner back plate.
Both wings have had their wing tips removed and re[laced by the resin early wing tips (pinned to wings).
All four ailerons replaced with resin ailerons (pinned to wings).

I'm now modifying the pilot and ground crew 'grab' handles,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/03/20 09:43 PM

She’s coming right along Mike.

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/05/20 06:38 PM

Hi all,
I've separated the resin elevator from the tail plane and added 0.4 mm rods, to enable the elevator to be animated.
The pilot's and ground crew grab handles were drilled out, reshaped then 0.85 mm styrene rectangular rod added to correct the open shape and correctly locate the handles (which were actually a fuselage longeron).
The forward decking panel was hinged at both sides by continuous hinges located under the cooling jackets for the two machine guns.
These are not moulded on the kit part so have been represented by using 'Aviattic' photo-etch rib tapes.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/06/20 12:57 PM

Hi all,
The upper wing, as supplied in the basic kit, has a pronounced bow across the thicker, centre section of the wing.
As the underside of the wing in that area has a glossy finish, I can only assume the bow was caused during the injection process.
Unlike resin parts, polystyrene seems to retain a shape 'memory' once moulded, so it can be more difficult to correct distortions without introducing white 'stress' marks in the part.
However I applied heat on both sides of the wing centre section from a hair dryer (on high setting).
The heat was maintained for a few minutes Then the wing was flexed and held in position whilst cooling.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/06/20 01:23 PM

Did you remember to quench after annealing? smash

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/06/20 10:34 PM

Hi all,
Earlier Siemens-Schuckert aircraft designs were basically copied from French Nieuport fighters, such as the Nieuport 11.
The method of aileron control used for the Siemens-Schuckert D.III was not the usual cable systems, but was a copy of the French design using control rods from the cockpit to the upper wing.
The pilot’s control column was attached to a torque bar, which was located across the cockpit floor.
The ends of this tube were attached by universal joints to control rods, which were routed up and out of the cockpit forward decking.
The control rods attached to bell crank levers in the upper wing and control rods from these routed outboard to the ailerons.

[Linked Image]

The cockpit to upper wing control rods/bell cranks are represented in the kit, but only to the underside of the upper wing.
Photographs of the aircraft show what appears to be cut outs, which allows the tops of the aileron bell cranks to protrude slightly through the top surface of the upper wing.
These cut outs are represented on the kit wing as recesses on the underside and raised solid moulded rectangles on the top surface.
Also the kit control rod/bell crank part have round rods, whereas the actual rods were flat sided (streamlined).

I drilled out the aileron apertures in the upper wing then scrapped them to the required shape.
The kit aileron control rod/bell cranks were reduced in thickness to more represent the actual parts.
Small squares of 0.85 mm thick plastic card was cemented onto the bell cranks and were then rounded and drilled with a 0.5 mm diameter drill.
Short lengths of 0.5 mm Nickel-Silver tube were cut and secured through the pre-drilled holes.
The modified parts are a snug fit into the wing apertures and will be fitted later in the build,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/09/20 01:09 PM

Hi all,
The aircraft had padding protection for the pilot in three areas:
Padding at the front of the cockpit decking.
Padded headrest on the front of the fuselage fairing.
Padding around the centre section cut out in the trailing edge of the upper wing.
The padding on the headrest is moulded on the fairing but is slightly offset and hardly visible. The padding on the upper wing is not represented in the kit.
I added both by using 'Milliput' two part putty.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The ‘Brengun’ Siemens Schuckert D.III (BRL32014) photo-etch set has the parts to create a pilot’s seat.
However I chose not to use those parts as photo-etch parts are in some cases too thin to be realistic. The pilot’s seat is such as case.
Therefore I used the photo-etch seat back as a guide to drill out the kit supplied seat, then added a seat cushion made from 'Milliput', as the kit does not supply a cushion.

[Linked Image]

That's the last modifications at this preparation stage, so now I can start the actual building phase.

Mike
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/09/20 03:46 PM

It's coming along nicely Mike!

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/10/20 04:55 PM

Hi all,
The top decking panel has its photo-etch panels fitted (the quarter turn fasteners will be fitted later).
I'd previously fitted photo-etch hinges to the panel, however the 'Brengun' photo-etch panels include these hinges.
Also the tail skid support brackets are fitted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well, I thought I'd covered all the necessary changes before starting the build.
However I've found other changes that need to be done.

The right fuselage half from the kit has a scooped vent, which was not fitted to the early D.III, so that was removed and filled.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That allowed me to fit the two photo-etch side access panels, which again are different in desin from those fitted to the later D.III.

[Linked Image]

The kit fuselage halves are missing a panel join at fuselage former E - this needs to be scribbed onto the fuselage halves.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The underside vented panel is different from the later D.III, which had two scooped vents fitted. The early D.II had no vents, but an access panel was fitted.
This means the photo-etch panel supplied with the 'Brengun' set is not correct for this model, so I'll probably modify the kit panel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The left fuselage half from the kit has a poorly moulded pilot's foot step, which in reality was a retractable to close off when not in use.
The kit location for the foot step is incorrect as it's too high above the lower wing root. I'll fill this foot step and create a new one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Apart from that it's plain sailing so far!!!

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/11/20 05:20 PM

Hi all,
I've used the kit under panel and opened up the louvre vents and added the panels retaining screw and louvre rivet locations.
Also filled the original pilot's foot step and created a new one in the correct position.
Finally added the missing panel line at the fuselage former.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BuckeyeBob

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/11/20 05:23 PM

Cool! One of my favorite planes, so really looking forward to this one!

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/14/20 04:41 PM

Hi all,
A few updates for the build.

When I temporarily joined the fuselage halves I found the seat support frame was too short and didn't reach its locations in the fuselage sides.
To correct this I cut the frame cross members and added 1.4 mm diameter tubes to extend the width of the frame.

[Linked Image]

The 'Brengun' photo-etch side formers and box cover were added - tricky to fit under the cockpit side 'Z' frames and required thinning the frame and filing the photo-etch.

[Linked Image]

The 'Brengun' set has a side panel, the location of which is not clear in the instructions.
However a photo shows where it locates.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The front decking panel and the replacement 'Gaspatch' machine guns were modified to allow the guns to fit the panel.
The kit supplied ammunition feed and ejection chutes were used and pinned through the gun breech block with 0.5 mm diameter rod.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/14/20 04:49 PM

No detail to small Mike. This is going to be one of best yet me thinks!

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/15/20 06:38 PM

Hi all,
I did some research to ascertain the purpose of the rectangular access panel under the early D.III aircraft.

[Linked Image]

It seems that the loaded belts of ammunition for both machine guns were stored in the ammunition container fitted under both guns.
The loaded ammunition belts were fed to the gun breech blocks through feed chutes.
The empty ammunition belts were directed from the breech blocks through chutes to box containers, which were fitted to the fuselage sides inside the cockpit.

All of the empty ammunition cases from both weapons were ejected through a tube connected to the lower front of each breech block and from there into a combined ejection pipe which was routed down to the bottom of the fuselage.
On the later D.IV aircraft the cases were discharged out of the aircraft from the ejection pipe opening under the fuselage.
However, in the early D.III aircraft the cases were retained in a container inside the fuselage and to access the container for emptying, the rectangular access panel was fitted under the fuselage.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/15/20 07:13 PM

Hi Mike;

I just noticed the spent cartridge chute inside the cockpit. Geez, I would hate to have all those spent cartridges rolling around and getting under various control levers and cables, not to mention having them all rush up and hit me in the face when I did a roll!!

I sure hope they were ejected outside the cockpit!!

He He!!

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/16/20 06:58 PM

Hi Rob,
The early D.III stored the spent cartridges in a container in the bottom of the fuselage.
The panel under the fuselage was used to access the container to remove the cartridges.
The later D.IV didn't retain the spent cartridges and instead just dumped them out through the open ejector pipe under the fuselage,

Mike.

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/16/20 07:09 PM

Hi all,
Cross bracing wires were fitted between the tops of the rear fuselage cabane struts and the inside of the fuselage.
These wires were attached to a small rectangular frame, located on the top centre of the cockpit front decking panel.
Each of the four separate bracing wires were attached the corners of this frame.

[Linked Image]

The model has the rectangular attachment frame moulded solid, which does not represent the actual frame.
The ‘Brengun’ photo-etch set has two frames, either of which (or both) can be used, but attaching them to the decking panel and rigging is not explained.

I removed the pre-moulded lump and drilled two holes of 0.5 mm diameter at approximately 60 degrees, down and through the front decking panel.
Two lines of 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament were passed through 0.4 mm diameter tube, then through the photo-etch frame.
The lines were looped back through the tubes the secured in position with thin CA adhesive.
The following shot shows it test fitted. The frame will be finally fitted later in the build during the rigging phase,

Mike

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/17/20 02:18 PM

Hi all,
I really should build models out of the box (OOB).
I followed the instructions for embodying the ‘Loon Models’ resin wing tips for the early version aircraft.
Now I've found that the span of the lower wing is 12 mm too short (6 mm at each wing tip).
As can be seen, when the modified wings are laid onto a correctly resized drawing, the span of the upper wing is correct, but the span of the lower wing is not.
The original kit is for the later D.IV aircraft, the lower wing of which had a slightly shorter span when compared to the upper wing (disregarding the extended balanced ailerons).
So now, having embodied the modifications to both wings, I'm not sure whether the 'Loon Models' instructions for cutting away the kit wing tips are incorrect or the wing span of the original kit supplied lower wing is too short?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Anyway, I'll need to cut the lower wing at both sides and along a rib line then pin and pack the wings to the correct span.
This will also mean relocating the lower wing location holes for the outer wing struts.

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/17/20 08:14 PM

Geez.....

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/18/20 07:37 PM

Hi all,
To correct the span of the lower wing:
Wing cut through 30 mm from the wing roots.
Two holes drilled (0.5 mm diameter) into outer wing sections.
Rods (0.5 mm diameter) inserted into holes.
Wings pushed together to indent rods into wing centre section (marks for drilling).
Two holes drilled (0.5 mm diameter) into centre wing section.
Two packs of 6 x 1 mm plastic card cemented together.
Two holes drilled through packs to match rods in the wings.
Packs fitted onto wing rods.
Wing sections and packs aligned then secured together with CA adhesive and liquid cement.
Packs filed and sanded to match the wing profiles.
Wing strut location holes filled and re-drilled 6 mm further inboard.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hentzau

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/20/20 05:33 AM

Mike

First let me say that I love following these builds, some really amazing work. I stop by each day to see what's new. Looking at the above photograph of the actual plane in regard to the model's ailerons it almost looks like the strut should have been moved 6mm outward on the upper wing instead of inward on the lower wing? Regards!

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/20/20 11:02 AM

“I really should build models out of the box (OOB).“

Mike,
If you ever did, I think you would through it out with yesterday’s laundry. thumbsup

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/21/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hentzau

Mike

First let me say that I love following these builds, some really amazing work. I stop by each day to see what's new. Looking at the above photograph of the actual plane in regard to the model's ailerons it almost looks like the strut should have been moved 6mm outward on the upper wing instead of inward on the lower wing? Regards!

Hi Hentzau,
Yes you are correct - the new strut locations on the lower wing are too far inboard.
However its a necessary compromise between the kit wing and the resin conversion parts.
The converted upper wing is correct and the strut locations are good.
To keep the struts vertical I needed to move the lower wing locations further inboard.
This leaves the struts location into the lower wing out of position to the ailerons, but there's only so much that can be done.
Good observation though,

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/21/20 10:43 PM

Hi all,
The fuselage is ready to be closed up.
The kits cockpit was modified by the following:

Addition of photo-etch rear bulkhead, fuselage formers, fuel/oil cock control panel and side box containers.
Added tube for spent cartridge chute.
Added cross bracing to fuselage forward area and cockpit floor (0.4 mm tube - 0.12 mm mono-filament).
Added rudder and double elevator control line (0.4 mm tube - 0.08 mm mono-filament).
Added instrument decals (not supplied in the kit).
Added 0.3 mm lead wiring for magneto starter, starter switch and Tachometer drive, twin gun trigger cables and twin throttles (control column.
Replaced kit supplied oil priming pump and oil and fuel cock controls - 0.4 mm tubing.
Added 0.4 mm lead wire for oil priming pump pipe.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/22/20 12:32 PM

Hi all,
The fuselage right side is now fitted and the rudder and elevator control lines rigged.
Next step is to fit the pilot's seat harness, including the shoulder straps through the rear firewall slots.
Then I can close up the fuselage and fit the seat,

Mike

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/24/20 05:42 PM

Hi all,
The fuselage now closed up, including:
Top decking panel
Underside louvred panel
Engine fire wall
Tail plane
Fuselage head rest fairing
Underside access panel and hinge.

Most joint and seams needed filling and sanding.
Next it's applying primer to check for surface imperfections then on with the build,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: loftyc

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/29/20 06:47 PM

(I don't know how to insert a pic in here, so attached a comic that rang a bell)

Attached picture 1.JPG
Posted By: Hentzau

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 06/30/20 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by loftyc
(I don't know how to insert a pic in here, so attached a comic that rang a bell)

Makes me think of this insert that I spent hours looking at as a kid, and wishing I was that skilled and persistent. LOL
[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/01/20 09:53 AM

Yes Shep Paine - he was one of the best modellers around earlier on.
Bill Horan was another, who's figures were what got me into Napoleonic modelling,

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/01/20 09:54 AM

Hi all,
The fuselage of this aircraft was coloured blue and was applied over what were the original National markings (fuselage and rudder). However, the markings were still visible under the applied blue colour and therefore need to be represented on the model. The colour profile of this aircraft and others from Jasta 15 appear in several books and the profile artist for the one used does state that the over painted markings are speculative and based on previous aircraft flown in Jasta 15.

[Linked Image]

The following photograph, although of poor quality, shows a large white cross with the black cross at its centre on the fuselage. The rudder seems to show a very faded black cross under the white coloured rudder with the later black cross superimposed.

[Linked Image]

The colour profile has the previous rudder marking as the old style ’Cross Pattée’. However, when the photograph is changed to a negative, the marking, although difficult to see, does appear to be more of a standard cross in shape.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Between March and May of 1918, the ’Idflieg’ ordered that the National markings be changed, but initially no dimensions were given and confusion at the various Jasta’s led to a wide
variation in the shape of the new cross markings. The older ’Cross Pattée’ marking was used earlier in WW1 and I personally doubt that this underlying marking would have been on an
aircraft in 1918, especially when you consider that the first production batch of D.III aircraft was placed in March 1918, the same month the ‘Cross Pattée’ was discontinued. Therefore I've chosen to use the later cross shape as the underlying marking on the rudder, rather than the older ’Cross Pattée’.

I'm intending to chip the paintwork on the forward metal panels and engine cowl, so I've applied a base coat of 'Alclad' Duraluminium (ALC-102).
Then a coat of cheap hairspray, as I can't get on with chipping fluids, which I find tend to bead up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The figures I chose to use are the pilot and airman from the ‘Aviattic’ - “GötterdÄmmerung” pilot and airman (ATTRES 024)

[Linked Image]

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/01/20 11:13 AM

Mike, your eye doesn’t miss much! If you would have not pointed it out, I would never have seen the two crosses on the rudder in the picture. Especially the negative.
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/01/20 11:47 AM

Mike, your attention to detail is truly amazing. And speaking of detail, you need to change the expression on that pilot figure's face. He should be smiling at your fine work, not scowling at it. biggrin

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/02/20 05:36 PM

Hi all,
The base colours of red (engine cowl, propeller spinner and forward fuselage) and blue (fuselage and tail unit) have been applied (both darkened slightly).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The masks were used to create the fuselage and rudder 'over painted markings, which were then airbrush over to give the impression of being over painted.
The fuselage markings will be partially covered by the pilot's personal markings and a decal will be used for the rudder cross.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've 'hair sprayed' an under coat before applying the red, as those areas have metal surfaces that I want to chip slightly.
The overall semi-sheen finish and weathering will be applied once the wing decals have been applied.

Mike

Posted By: RickityCrate1

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/04/20 10:00 PM

Beautiful work you are doing on this kit Mike. It is very nice to see one being built and not just sitting in the box as an investment. The WNW kits and work being done by chaps like yourself is an inspiration and a reference to us building lesser kits.

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/11/20 06:33 AM

Well aren't I a silly #%&*$#. This is actually a Roden kit and so well done I thought it to be a high end Wing Nutter. All the more impressed with your results then. Please excuse me.

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/12/20 10:59 PM

Trust me it's no Wingnut Wings kit banghead

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/13/20 07:34 PM

Hi all,
I've applied the linen effect lozenge decals from 'Aviattic' to both wings, ailerons and the elevator.
Also added 1.0 mm wide strips of 5 colour lozenge to represent the rib tapes and edging.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The wing outer 'V' struts were tubular steel covered with a Spruce wood fairing.
The fairings were then covered with the lozenge linen or in some cases, the lozenge pattern was hand painted.
I've used the same 'Aviattic' lozenge decal that used for the rib tapes.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/13/20 07:46 PM

Mike that looks very tedious to fit the lozenge to the V struts. How did you pattern the fit?

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/13/20 08:54 PM

Mike again great work. I actually have the the Roden 1/72 kit and shall be using your pics as inspiration. I will of course not come close to your results but as they say "aim high" I have the Pegasus kit as well which comes without any of the struts, it will wait awhile.

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/14/20 08:23 AM

Rob:
Basically I laid each strut onto the decal sheet and traced the outline, allowing a slight overlap at the edges to allow wrapping around each strut.
It worked out to 6 mm width for each strut.
I created a decal for both sides the applied them with the joined edges at the centre line of the leading and trailing edges.
The strut base was dove separately using the same method.

RickityCrate1:
Way to go if you can manage anything like this on a smaller scale - not something I think I'd try,

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/17/20 04:20 PM

Hi all,
I don't think I've spent as much time cutting and applying decals to any model, as I have on this one.
The upper wing/ailerons are 45 degree 5 colour lozenge ('Aviattic' ATT32019 underside, ATT32018 top surface).
The lower wings/ailerons and elevator are standard 5 colour lozenge ('Aviattic' ATT32075 underside, ATT32013 top surface).
All rib and edging tapes were cut from 'Aviattic' ATT32073.
National markings and pilots personal markings were from the ‘Pheon’ (32023) Siemens Schuckert D.III decal sheet.

I had the problem of repairing the model after I dropped it during final preparation for applying the decals.
I managed to catch it between my legs, but in the process clamped the wing tips which transformed the D.III into more of a Vought Corsair!!

[Linked Image]

I had to break off the upturned lower wings, clean up, re-pack, re-drill and re-pin then reassemble.
All in all it didn't turn out too bad.

The surfaces are gloss sealed so as not to damage the applied decals. The final finish and weathering will be done later in the build.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/17/20 04:38 PM

Geez I'm glad you opted to hang onto your beer in favor of dropping the model! You can't keep a good man down!

biggrin

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/19/20 07:05 PM

Hi all,
Moving along slowly.
The engine and cowl have been fitted with an 'RB Productions' 9/32nd flat rigging wire used to represent the cowl retaining strap.
Photo-etch quarter turn fasteners have been added to the main panels and wingnut fasteners to the two side and one underside access panels.
Both machine guns are on as well as the fuel tank contents gauge.
Very slight paint weathering was applied (sponged) and a light sheen sealing coat airbrushed to act as the base for dirt weathering.
Before that I need to fit and rig the undercarriage assembly so as to prevent damaging the PE fasteners on the underside access panel on the fuselage. 

Mike 

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/20/20 06:42 PM

Hi all,
The undercarriage is now fitted.
The top of each strut were drilled and rod pinned to fit into holes drilled into the fuselage.
The axle, which was mould rectangular, was re-profiled and the four retaining straps added using lead wire.
Cross bracing using 'Gaspatch' metal turnbuckles and anchors with 0.5 mm diameter tube and 0.12 mm diameter mono-filament.
The steel core bungee suspension cords were represented by 'EZ' Heavy line (White), wrapped and painted with thinned 'Tamiya' Buff (XF57).

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lasstmichdurch

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/20/20 07:06 PM

What an absolute stunning work! I´m really impressed! thumbsup

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/20/20 11:55 PM

Hi all,
The weathering wash of 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt fine clay wash has been applied.
This now needs to be damp wiped/brushed to leave the desired weathering,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: carrick58

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/21/20 12:29 AM

Wow, Just Wow,

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/21/20 11:33 PM

Hi all,
The wash has been removed to leave a weathered coat, then sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) lacquer.
Also the elevator has been rigged (ailerons and rudder have no external control lines),

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BuckeyeBob

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/22/20 03:30 AM

Drop dead gorgeous, Mike. You are a true craftsman!

Now, if only I could shrink down to 1/32 size!
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/22/20 01:17 PM

Yet another soon-to-be completed masterpiece. Outstanding craftsmanship as always Mike.

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/23/20 05:30 PM

Hi all,
The pre-rigging was first added for the cross bracing, flying and landing wires. Mono-filament 0.12 mm diameter and 0.5 mm diameter tube. 'Gaspatch' metal 1?48th scale turnbuckles and anchors.
Underside of the upper wing, top surface of the lower wings, engine cowl and the tension frame for the cross bracing wires of the rear cabane struts.
Then the upper wing was fitted - always a tricky time of the build.

Then next step is to fit the rudder and elevator then complete the full rigging,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/23/20 05:45 PM

Not long now a Mike. Let’s not drop it at this stage! Masterful work.

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/23/20 07:57 PM

I'll try not to winkngrin

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/24/20 07:33 PM

Hi all,
The full rigging has been completed now for the flying, landing wires and the various cross bracing wires.
The elevator has been fitted and its four control lines installed.

Remaining jobs to complete are the aileron control rods in the upper wing, engine cowl retaining plates bracing wires), propeller and its spinner and finally the windscreen.
After that it will be completing the figures and display case/base,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/25/20 03:37 PM

Hi all,
Apart from the propeller, which Alex at 'ProperPlane' is attempting to make, the model is complete.
The rudder is fitted.
The windscreen in the kit is just a thin acetate outline, which is not very realistic, so I modified a 'spare' windscreen.
The aileron control rod assemblies, which I modified earlier, were fitted into the cut-outs I made in the upper wing.
Finally the bracing wire at each side of the engine cowl was held in a metal retainer, which I made from spare photo-etch harness buckles.

Until the propeller is fitted I'll carry on painting the two figures and ladder,

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/25/20 04:35 PM

Looking really nice Mike! I'm looking forward to seeing the completed Dio!

Best Regards

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/26/20 09:31 PM

Hi all,
The figures, which the ‘Aviattic’ “GötterdÄmmerung” pilot and airman set (ATTRES 024).
All painted with 'Tamiya' acrylics with metal fitting using 'Mr. Colour' enamels.
The ladder was base coated with 'AK Interactive' Wood wash (AK 263)
'Tamiya' Weathering Master sets A, D and E used for dirt/stains.

Just awaiting the propeller from Alex at 'ProperPlane' and the display case (due tomorrow,

Mike

PS: Is it just me but after I'd finished I thought 'the pilot reminds me of someone'.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/26/20 11:47 PM

Yes, he resembles one on the actors Takahiro Tamuro that played in the original Tora Tora Tora, I believe Kurasawa produced film. What say you?

That is an amazing paint job on the face Mike! Just Cracker!!

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/27/20 09:46 AM

Hi Rob,
That's exactly what I thought - great minds,

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/27/20 11:50 PM

Another masterpiece!

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/28/20 12:19 AM

The figure looks like that because the ladder leads to nowhere. And is that a parachute I see?

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/29/20 01:21 AM

No...that's just a nice big soft seat cushion!!

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 07/29/20 10:18 AM

Hi all,
All I need to complete this model now is the wood laminate propeller from 'ProperPlane', which is on it's way.
This propeller profile is slightly different to the kit propeller, which it seems is not quite correct.
As such I'll probably need to re-profile the 'Loon Models' resin spinner I've used, as it is made to fit the kit spinner.

I'll post up photos of the completed model once its complete.

I'd like to thank everyone for their encouragement and comments.

Mike

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 08/06/20 08:45 PM

Hi all,
Here's the completed Siemens Schuckert D.III (Serial No. 834 to 8359/17) as flown by Ltn. Joachim von Ziegesar when serving with Jasta 15 during May, 1918.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 08/06/20 08:56 PM

So now that OBD knows what it looks like, I expect it in the next WOFF iteration. It's a beauty Mike. Congrats on another masterpiece.
Posted By: CodyCoyote

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III - 1:32nd scale - 08/07/20 02:07 AM

Mike - This is not a plane that I was ever particularly interested in or that I thought looked especially good. But I think your build is the very best of all the planes you have posted here. Well done! Excellent craftsmanship.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums